January 7th, 2008

Poll: 9-point lead for Obama on eve of N.H. primary

The CNN Ticker

Barack Obama greets an overflow crowd at a rally in Lebanon, New Hampshire, Monday.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - On the eve of the New Hampshire primary, Sen. Barack Obama has a nine-point lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in the state, according to a CNN-WMUR poll out Monday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 30 percent in a poll conducted Saturday through Sunday evening - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Preliminary results from the poll released Sunday night. now showed Obama with a lead of 10 percentage points.

Full story

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. davidvoter08

Hillary Clinton has the intelligence, strategies, experience and passion to change this great country to a great DIRECTION!!! She has the power and will achieve what she said! Not only an excellent orator who promises anything only for cheating voters to support for him. Unfortunately, he never considered whether he can keep his promise or how to realize what’s he said. If a person says he can do anything, we should doubt his honesty, such as Obama! Change is good, but can change to a positive or negative direction! We should reminder 8 years ago, Bush also said changes. Let’s support Hillary, because we love this country! We will not allow this country suffer another disaster presidential term!

January 7, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. sean penn

obama all the way

January 7, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. davidvoter08

Suppert Hilary!!!

January 7, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. Mati

Gary January 7, 2008 5:27 pm ET "I think the Clinton team would be much better off to understand the current wave of support for the ' change' candidates."

Clinton's supporters understand the 'current wave', but they also understand that waves are passing phenomena. I personally prefer a standing rock that a perishable wave that will vanish when the wind changes direction.

Hillary'08!

January 7, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. james

Tobby, I agree with your statement. It is time to end Kingship and family-based presidency. If we allow Hillay now, then after her 8years, one of the Bushes will come up again for another 8 years. Then, after then, Chelsea will then become our next president. We say no to this two rogues families–who have divided our country for over 20 years.

January 7, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  6. Chris

In November, there will be another Republican in the White House. Democrats are too disorganized to get over themselves and turn out for their candidate. In contrast, the Republicans will squabble during the primary, but support the candidate who emerges. This is why the Democrats have become a loser party. I am re-registering as an independent.

January 7, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  7. davidvoter08

Yes, I find the similarity between Barack Obama and George W. Bush!

January 7, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. Tim

Geesh......Clinton cant bring change, she's too polarizaing a figure. May as well hit your head on a brick wall for the next 4 years if she were elected. Obama has never said that he knew how to fix everything, no president has in the past and none will in the future. But I feel he would surround himself with the best and brightest regardless of party affiliation. A great communicator, something lacking the last 8 years. Rock the Boat. Vote Obama

January 7, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  9. Anonymous

silly politicians. All( both parties) excerpt OBAMA.
    he talked about change from day one. After voters went for change, all these phonies started talking about change.

go OBAMA 08

January 7, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  10. Dolly, Fond du Lac Wisconsin

Neither one of these candidates will be a good president. As usual the focus is on image and not substance.

January 7, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  11. Cole, Lexington MA

McCain would be a complete disaster again Obama. Republicans, if you want a prayer of winning the national election, vote Romney. McCain is a fossil compared to Obama. Romney is a fresh face and yes, an outsider who could bring change. Romney is the Republicans only hope of beating Obama.

January 7, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. Lois

I *hope* the economy improves.

January 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  13. Steve, Landing, NJ

One question for everyone touting Clinton's "experience":

Where were you when Joe Biden needed you?

January 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Hope

Rebecca Wylie, TX January 7, 2008 6:12 pm ET

Clinton is the only very BEST choice for our Country. Why take chances with Obama riding a wave? When Clinton is more than ready to clean up this Country and to Lead us in the RIGHT Direction!

All I got to say with what happened in Iowa and what may happen in NH is like a bad bad horror movie. Like Invasion of the body snatchers. That is the only way we can explain these people even listening to Obama. We all want to believe in hope and change. Isn't that what Bush promised?

Everyone take 5 listen to Clinton. She beats them all and beats them big

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  15. Lois

I *hope* we get out of Iraq soon.

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  16. Caucused for Edwards

I'll vote Republican before I vote for Hillary. She changes her specifics to make whatever audience she's facing happy. She's for keeping our country divided because fear and anger deflects attention from the real problems we need to address. She's a corporate and lobbyist darling, and, personally, I've had enough of the corporations running our country and the world. It's time for healing, not more infighting. We cannot heal under Clinton2, she'll just make the right/left split that much wider and leave moderate America to pay the bill.

I agree w. Lorenz. ANYONE but Hillary.

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Lois

I *hope* all Americans get health care.

January 7, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. Les

Obama has THREE LOBBYISTS working for his CAMPAIGN in his PAYROLL. nuff said

January 7, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  19. Dee

I have been a democrat my whole life and this primary season scares me. Someone before me said it well, What is Obama about? He dodges important questions. He talks about change. What kind of change? what are you going to do for me and my country Obama, or should I say what is Oprah's take on this since you message her frequently? UMMMM remember Bush was to make change. Did you like it? Are you better off now than you were pre bushie?
    Senator Clinton has not only been a first lady and wife to a president but has had her own professional career. As a professional female you are insulting me by only looking at the female candidate as if she was only a wife. Research what these candidates have done in their lives.
    I am a good judge of people and trust my gut feelings and something doesn't sit right with Obama, I can't put my finger on all of it (Oprah is part of it, what are her expectations and return on her investment?) except that he does not talk about issues. What is he about? What change? What has he done that has made change, he hasn't even mentioned jobs or the economy.
    Romney will have the backing of all of the mormons throughout the country, count them up. A sizeable number. We need a strong figure to fight him. Not all democrats/independents will vote for Obama. Why is it that many African Americans won't vote for him? He will also loose the hispanic vote.
    Please check things out before you vote.

January 7, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. Lois

I *hope* price for education does not go sky high making it unavailable.

January 7, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Abweichung

What I find ridiculous is, why are people so fixiated on Obama over someone like Ron Paul. They both want to pull out of Iraq, so if you like Obama's foreign policy ideas you should like Paul's (because his are better, and not a half-way solution AKA leaving military bases in the middle-east; causing continued animosity).

Does no one care about our economy or personal liberties? Don't you people understand that everything, and I mean everything will be threatened if our currency and economy tank. We will be vulnerable in all regards. It may not be our generation, but if you bring children into this world I would think you have a moral obligation in what is being left for them.

January 7, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  22. Cindy

"Already, 47% of the country has said that they will not consider voting for Hillary. In case you don't know math, that is nearly half the country. At no time in their losing campaigns did Gore or Kerry have a negative rating that high!""

And recent polls show that Obama's negatives are also rising almost as fast as his positive poll numbers. The reality is that negative numbers rise and fall for everyone. Just look at John McCain. The American public is FICKLE. Lord knows why anyone in his or her right might would put him/herself through the agony of an election. Can you imagine being vilified not only by the media but by your fellow citizens who DON"T EVEN KNOW YOU, but never miss an opportunity to write how much they "hate" you. We have serious problems in this country. But I digress, in Obama's case, the more some people realize he's a serious candidate, the higher his negatives will go. Remember you read it here first.

January 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Margie

Obama is a terrific speaker, but that's all I see. The experience is still lacking no matter what way you look at it. He says change you can believe in, but when the
    time comes, he lacks experience and finesse, to get things done. It would leave a lot of people very insecure about the safety of the country if you ask me. People should not vote just because a person is a great speaker. Talk is talk, and he does it in a way that draws you in. But this is not his time to win. Maybe and most likely 2012 will be his turn.

People should vote for someone who is ready to lead and Obama is just not ready. People should step back and think about their vote. Politics is a serious business, and not something one votes because a man can speak. Issues, issues and not popularity should win the day. I just feel Obama is just not strong enough to take on the world. No way, not yet.

January 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Elena

Hillary is our only hope. Spdubois is right! There are way too many sheep in this country...being led to slaughter by the media yet again!

January 7, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  25. Bill, Milwaukee, WI

I BELIEVE in CHANGE; I BELIEVE in HOPE; I BELIEVE in NOBAMA!

This guy is nothing but a song from a Baptist revival meeting minister! You can see and hear thousands of folks just like him if you visit any Baptist Church!

Yeah, they'll make you feel good... for an hour or so.

Once reality sets in you'll understand it takes EXPERIENCE, a good understanding of how SWAMPLAND works (Dysfunctional) and a RECORD of accomplishments; just as important: the understanding that REAL CHANGE is incremental in SWAMPLAND and everywhere else and takes TIME and a lot of HARD WORK!

Talk, and a teenage flock of supporters that mirror the KNOW-NOTHING OBAMA, is NOT the kind of change I'm looking for.

Conversely, I would shudder at the thought of Michelle Obama, who calls her husband, “STINKY” being the First Lady in the White House, representing America to the USA and other nations.

I'm a life-long Democrat and I will NEVER vote for OBAMA!

I'll give my vote to a REPUBLICAN first; even they are superior to what Obama brings!

January 7, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |