January 7th, 2008

'Vote for Mike Huckabee and live forever'

The CNN Ticker

Huckabee is hoping for a strong showing in New Hampshire.

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) –­ On a bus ride from a pancake breakfast speech to shake hands at a bakery, Mike Huckabee told reporters that regardless of tomorrow night’s primary results here, he’s optimistic.

“I think if we¹re third or fourth we¹re still in the game because we¹ve got a great situation going on in South Carolina,” said Huckabee who is solidly in third place in New Hampshire polls. “We’re going to a place where we¹ve got a strong organization, good staffing, huge support and Florida¹s the same thing.”

When asked about Sunday night’s GOP debate, Huckabee lit into rival Mitt Romney and what he sees as a double standard. “He’ll say those aren’t negative attack ads, those are just record comparisons. But if anyone says anything about his record it’s a personal attack, they’re just attacking the person. Well you can’t have it both ways, either it’s a personal attack or a record reflection.” He also took Romney to task for several false claims he has made, including getting an endorsement from the NRA and marching with Martin Luther King Jr. in Detroit.

Huckabee wrapped up his culinary tour at a restaurant that named a burger after him – the “Huckaburger,” a beef patty topped with spinach and tomato on a whole-wheat bun. Predicted Huckabee, “Anyone who eats this will lose weight, vote for Mike Huckabee and live forever.”

- CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. Estevan

"beef batty" cnn?

January 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Ed,Ellenville,New York

The ultimate empty promise! It takes a professional liar like Huckabee to say that. I bet a few thousand evangelicals are buying up those burgers right now.

January 7, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Tim, Minnesota

Huckabelly is just as guilty. Push-polling, allowing rapists and murders free, pretending not to show negative ads, hijacking sympathetic religious people, stealing Ron Paul's message, not knowing anything about foreign policy, come on people Huck is worse.

January 7, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Stephanie from South Carolina

Does anyone really care if Romney was actually present when his father marched with Martin Luther King, Jr.?? Or do they care that his father actually DID march with him and was a strong supporter of him.

What a silly argument! Especially from someone who said, "now I am not going to air this attack ad I made. BUT just watch me now as I show it to you!!!

January 7, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. Hakim Amar

Even when he makes a JOKE, you still manage to take it out of context and make it sound worse.

Grammar Lesson 101: "Anyone who eats this [burger] will lose weight, [will] vote for Mike Huckabee, and [will] live forever." Wouldn't you say that is quite different from "vote for Mike Huckabee and live forever"?

Here's a novel idea: JUST REPORT THE NEWS. Period. Now that wasn't too hard, was it?

January 7, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Garrett

From what I've read, Romney only claimed that his father marched with Martin Luther King. I have yet to read anything that has proved this erroneous.

January 7, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  7. David, Oregon City

“Serv’em up Gov.!” GO HUCKABEE!

January 7, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  8. Vermillion, SD

"Megachurch Campaigning".... I'm officially coining the phrase. Gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. The burger does sound good though.

January 7, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  9. Walt, Belton, TX

Neither the "Huckster" nor the Massachusetts loser is worthy of the Presidency. They lack a few values that I hold to be important, like love of Country, love of family, integrity, honesty, and last, but not least, good manners!

Lord knows, neither one even had the balls to truly serve their country in the military. They chose the road of living off the largess of the taxpaying public – no guts, no commitment!

January 7, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. Shelly

This guy is a clown....how did he ever get picked as a potential candidate?

January 7, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  11. Matt

A liar? It was a bit of humor. What a shameful comparison to use that as a basis to call him a "professional liar". (which also is a very creative description, might I add)

January 7, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Joy, Columbia SC

How's this for a case of monkey see, monkey do. Um, "The Huckster" has been whining that everytime someone looks at him, they're "attacking him" . He "claims" that he doesn't run a negative campaign. Did I miss something here? He is the most negative candidate out there! He just cries "God" instead of "wolf". Oh and how about stupid campaign promises. Eat this maga-fat hamburger and you'll lose weight and live forever? Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig are going to love that! Come on. This guy complains that he doen't have money like Romney. Instead he gets his name mentioned by sticking his foot in his mouth. I hope he never gets the chance to run for re-election, he'll insult every world leader for more new coverage!

Ralph Wiggim '08!! Pick a winner!

January 7, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. Paula

I am with MIKE HUCKABEE...all the way! He's got plans!!!

January 7, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  14. Larry K, Greenville, SC

I can't stand Huckabee. He would be a terrible president.
    That said, you must, must, must, CNN, please, to save your own respectability, change that headline. By only pairing the last two in the list, not including the (not required, but here helpful) comma before the "and", you know it reads like a vote for Huckabee will allow you to live forever. I know you won't change it, but you should.

January 7, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Jimmy

go huckabee. i believe fully in conservative value

January 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  16. Nancy

Love that Huckabee! I like a campaign that is happy, positive and without tears...and it's always nice if the food is good too!

January 7, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. George

> Ed in NY - you may be speaking jokingly &/or sarcastically and that doesn't come across well in writing, but if you are serious, then you need to lighten up and recognize a joke when it's said. BTW, I am NOT a Repub or a Huckabee supporter.

> Garrett - you're correct that Romney was speaking of his father, but it was reported widely in the press that his father did NOT march with MLK, instead marched a day or so after MLK marched. I believe his father was a civil rights supporter. It seems that Romney should have been satisfied with the 'accolades' from the simple truth and not trying to spin the situation.

I listened to Huckabee's talk last night on CPAN Sunday night and was amazed at the similarities with his latest message and Obama's. Those that have heard Obama's message should try to hear Huckabee's talk from last night - it is truly amazing the similarities.

The other great moment was when Chuck Norris was warming up the crowd and started in on an anti-corporatocracy, pro-middle class progressive rant!

January 7, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  18. Mack.

Huckabee is the future. Great policies, nice guy. I would like him to win.

January 7, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. jeff bean

Huckabee of course means that the political choice for him includes a subliminal turn toward Christ, a turn or reaffirmation of faith. It is an appealing, homespun, even humorous call to consider a life rich because of a confident feeling of eternal life, i.e. Jesus' words, those who believe in me shall live. I don't mean humorous in a negative sense, because it is a humor embued with genuine anticipatory faith and hope.

January 7, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. Scott, Bangor, Maine

Garrett – if you heven't read anything that proved Romney's bold faced lie as such then you haven't read enough.

January 7, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. Stacey, Durham, NC

Great Huckabee. We'll talk about Romney's NRA endorsement just as soon as you show us all your Theology Degree.

January 7, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. ike

Are you serious? Huckabee got nailed at the debate. He pulled the distorted record card so it came to a head. When push came to shove Huckabee had to back down and wouldn't answer a direct question. He can claim whatever he wants, but he looked the fool at the forum and continues to look the fool for whining about it later.
    As far as the personal attacks, Romney of course is doing his best to make himself look better, as ALL candidates do. I must admit that the ads have yet to call names. You, Mr. Huckabee have done the name calling. You have called him dishonest and a flip-flop. What has he called you? I personally like your comments about his marching with MLK gaffe. He said, "I saw my father march with MLK". HIs dad never marched with MLK, when asked about it, HE ACTUALLY ANSWERED IT. He said, "I saw him march like I saw him raised to be president of GM. It is a figure of speech"
    Now, should Romney have said it? NO. Was it an exaggeration. Yes. But he did explain himself. But since we are holding all of the candidates at what they say and don't allow minor gaffes, lets look at what good ole Huck has said.
    "We said our apologies to the people of Pakistan for the death of Benazir Bhuto" – Did you misspeak, yes, can we forgive you. Well I don't know, that would be a double standard. To forgive you and not to forgive Mitt his gaffe. Let's see? What else?
    "My last job was to repeal Death" – explain that one
    You threaten to kill those who won't vote for you.
    "Vote for me and live forever."
    "I wonder if Pakistan will continue martial law?"

So if we aren't forgiving Mitt for his gaffes, do we forgive you? Oh sorry that was a direct question, I guess you can't answer that.

January 7, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. Tim, Cincinnati OH

Huckabee's corny jokes are wearing thin. He has a long way to go to appear presidential.

January 7, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  24. mel

I think that Huckabee and Romney should talk about thier dog stories. Huckabee's (the minister) son tortured and killed a dog at 18 then Huckabee fired the DA that wanted to prosecute and Romney strapped his irish setter in a crate on the roof for a 12 hour drive causing extreme distress for Seamus. Then he sent him off to his sister in CA. Wonder if they drove him there too?? Don't believe- go to google and google huckabee son dog and romeny dog seamus and see what you come up with. If they can't even care for their children or animals how can we expect them to care about us? Hmmm...maybe thier immigration policy is kill them or strap them to the roof. If they make it they can get shipped to CA.

January 7, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. Former Republican

I simply cannot believe how many people take Huckabee seriously.

The right wing of his party has proven their incompetence for years now. Huckabee at best would be a 3rd term of Bush II.

Candidates like Huck with his issues are a big reason why I dropped out of party politics. He and his ilk simply will not serve the interests of the majority of Americans. How do the voters not see this?

Where are the common sense Americans who can actually get things done?

300 million people in this country and these "leaders" are the best we can do?

January 7, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |