January 8th, 2008

Blitzer: What to watch for tonight

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

(CNN) - Beyond the obvious winners and losers tonight in New Hampshire, here are a few questions to consider while watching our coverage:

The speeches after the votes are counted. Obama delivered by all accounts a great speech in Des Moines after winning there. If he wins tonight, what does he do for an encore? What about Hillary Clinton tonight? I will want to see who is on that stage surrounding her. In Iowa, we saw Bill Clinton, Chelsea, Madeleine Albright. What about tonight? Will the Clinton camp project a different image?

Negativity. How nasty will it get? The angry rhetoric is heating up on both sides. Obama, Clinton and Edwards are getting it on - as are Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I suspect all of them will continue to
pump up the volume. I will be listening closely to their respective speeches tonight as well.

The Ron Paul factor. How does he do? He wound up with about 10 percent in Iowa. Will he do the same tonight? He may be a Republican candidate but he clearly appeals to independents - and some Democrats as well. Will he take votes from other candidates who appeal to independents, especially John McCain and Barack Obama? We shall soon find out.

Losers. Who, if anyone, drops out after tonight? Joe Biden and Chris Dodd split after Iowa. Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich, Duncan Hunter and the others all insist they are in the game. But that's what candidates always say until they drop out. Let's see who falls next.

Those are a few nuggets from my viewer's guide to the New Hampshire primary. We will share the details with you every step of the way. If you are a political news junkie as I am, it doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for watching.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: New Hampshire • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Brent

Fred Thompson isn't even competing in NH. He is going to win SC and take the nomination.

January 8, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. Dan ~ Longview, WA.

Where is Ron Paul CNN?

Huckabee was on Leno, your handlers said "JUMP"!

Ron Paul was on Leno, your handlers said "stand down".

Go RON PAUL!

Thanks for the mention in this article though!

You ask "how does he do it? "

He talks...and WE THE PEOPLE listen, we donate small amounts, which add up to big amounts, and we refer people to Ron's website, to learn about what he has stood for since he has been in congress! He doesn't change with the tide. He is consistant, honorable, and he tells the truth about corruption, propaganda, and how our party has lost its way.

I am TIRED of having The Chosen Cantidates shoved down our throats, given every mention in all of the news coverage, and, we really see the unfairness, the inequity of coverage, and the outright censoring of Ron Paul and his message on just about every major network, online and off.

He is the most searched GOP cantidate on the net, but the least mentioned in the media.

He gets the most donations from military donors, but is panned for apposing the war in Iraq.

People want to know about him, and MORE PEOPLE should hear about him equally on your network.

Geez.

January 8, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. BV

Just FYI, Ron Paul wants to withdraw all American forces from Korea, Japan, Germany and other bases around the world. While I agree that the Middle East bases are inflaming radicals in the region, a precipitous withdrawl from Asia would effectively abandon Taiwan and South Korea. You're telling me if China decided to take Taiwan by force and the nearest US base was in Guam, we would even TRY to liberate Taiwan from a Chinese invasion? Simply put, these nations are our FRIENDS. If you had a skinny little friend who lived next door to a powerful (and irrational) bully, you wouldn't let him walk to school alone, would you? We can't abandon those nations that depend on us, we have an obligation to be a source of peace and security in the world. I applaud Paul's ideology, but sometimes, ideology can't be feasibly translated to reality. And people call Obama a fairy-tale spinner! Peace sometimes has a price, and sometimes, that price is remaining committed to peace in the face of violent opposition (see the Sermon on the Mount (by Jesus! lol), The Peaceful Path by the Dali Llama or War is a Force that Gives us Meaning by Chris Hedges for more clarification)

January 8, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. Matt

Did you all see the Ron Paul article on Drudge yet? You may want to hold off on your vote for him.

January 8, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. NewPatriot-Arizona

Hi Wolfe,

I hope its a very dissapointing moment for everyone , except Dr. Paul of course.
    that is America's Hope – is there a Doctor in the house ? A definite YES

January 8, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Terry, El Paso, TX

I cannot imagine Ron Paul finishing in the money. But I voted for Ross Perot once purely as a protest. I knew he couldn't win and I knew that my state was going Republican no matter how I voted. I did not believe when I cast the vote that Perot was qualified for the job. I was just trying to get some third party action going.

Both Paul and Huckabee would be slaughtered in November if either was the nominee. While the fundamentalist Christians and the voodoo economics crowd cannot imagine it, most Americans have heard their arguments and dismissed them as hogwash.

January 8, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Brian, Syracuse NY

Obama's gonna demolish Hillary again! I hope Edwards or Richardson come in second... But it'd be even better if Hillary's dead last!

January 8, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Ruth Harthoorn Kocisko

Wolf,
    You have some good questions, but "Who is going to drop out?" is not one of them. Let the voters and the candidates decide that. I am sick and tired of media representatives trying to predict who will withdraw–even rubbing their hands together with glee to speed up the process. I am also sick of media representatives describing a 2-person race on the Democratic side, when John Edwards came in 2nd. Why should the media decide that it is nearly over for him when he beat Clinton? Additionally, polls are not very reliable when the vote is very fluid going into the election.
    When I lived in Maryland, I seldom had a chance to vote in the primaries, because the candidate would be selected before our primary in March. Stop trying to disenfranchise the voters in states that have later primaries! What Marylanders think may be different from what Iowans think or New Hampshireites. Every American should have a chance in participate in the process, like we Iowans just had last week. Each candidate brings something different to the table. Robust debate is good and healthy for America. The FOX debate and the other network debate unfairly narrowed down the candidates. Media outlets should not be the kingmakers/queenmakers. Just report on the delegate selection process–don't push your favorites on us! You may not be the worst offender here, but I expect better coverage from CNN.

Ruth Harthoorn Kocisko, J.D., M.C.J.

January 8, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. NewPatriot-Arizona

maybe in November the ballot shows Paul/Obama for 2008 . Remember all things are possible !

January 8, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Paul Bedell, Chicago

No matter who wins in New Hampshire, I think it's inevitable that the nominees in November will realize and understand that "change" IS being mandated by the American public. After 8 years of Bush ruining our country on so many fronts, change on many fronts is a feat accompli.

January 8, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. Amy

It would be best for the country if Hillary Clinton bows out gracefully after tonight. It would be a dignified stand for us all if she did.

January 8, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  12. Roselen Hope Gethers

From Obama Iowa 2008 to Obama New Hampshire 2008
    From Oakland, Califolrnia on the cell phone my 30-something son provided me to keep in touch with him in Brooklyn where he lives with new wife who is employed by AP Manhattan and points London and he at AOL Manhattan and Dulles, Maryland and beyond in Bangalore, I called THAT THURSDAY evening and declared: VICTOR, HISTORY IS BEING MADE!
    IOWA, white IOWA, voted that content of the character and capacity of the intellect matter more than skin color. And New Hampshire is poised to vote the same.

Forty years later - January 3, 2008 - forty years after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr April 4, 1968 (when I was new teacher Oakland USD) a young man named Barack Obama, African and American, stands on the shoulders of MLK.

A stunned Bill has called the rise of Barack Obama over his Hilary a fairy tale. I must admit I am too astonished. I'm ten years Hiary's senior, I grew up "colored" in West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where summers I played jacks on the white marble stoops of our rented row house, 1940s. (By '60s I was at Berkeley and finally 1963 a college graduate.)

Not a fairy tale, a real run for the presidency of United States of America by a colored man, an African-American, boggles my mind even though there was Selma Alabama and the Civil Rights Struggle and the sacrificeof MLK Jr.

Thank your Barack Obama for the "audacity" of your HOPE. God be with you.

January 8, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. M.Nathanson

One of the more fascinating aspects of the campaign and in particular the debates on either side is the total lack of questioning the candidates about the Middle East and the Israeli-Palestinian cobflict in more specific terms. One is 'impressed' with avowed dedication to 'human rights' but the dismal conditions under which the Palestinians live is never a topic of conversation. To me it is a litmus test as to the honesty and moral backbone of the candidates.

January 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. David

Ron Paul is the underdog in this race, and the media doesn't want you to hear his message because they are on the take from mainstream media because they will lose money if they don't back companies who back the war.

His message is simple, clear, and in the best interest of restoring liberty and prosperity back to this great nation. Vote with your conscience for this generation and the generations to follow.

January 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Wolf

Why not be more interested if Obama finally provides specifics than speaking eloguently? Besides inspiring folks, how is he prepared to take the Country beyond the wishfulness. I continue to be amazed how people are prepared to given the enormity of the presidential job to an experienced person. My vote continues to be with Hilary.

January 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. Christian, Cranbury NJ

Until yesterday I was really uncertain about who I would vote for. I am not a Dem or Rep and refuse to be an Ind as they are confused Dems & Reps. After Mrs. Clinton's apparent breakdown I questioned how she will do under the rigid pressures that come with being president. If she spent more time demonstrating what she would accomplish instead of what Mr. Obama won't, then she might stand a chance. I expected more from her than what she is showing. McCain, has been around a while and so I wonder how much change he could actually bring to the table. I am 36 and hated politics until this year. (Thanks to Mr. Obama...I think). The winner will be determined by the one who appears most different than anyone else while appealing to those who actually care who is elected...(THE YOUTH). As long as Mr. Obama can remain steady without sounding repetitive, my gut feeling is that he will win by a great margin.

January 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. james, newport, KY

Shhhhhh....
    The media needs to calm down a little bit. This is a long race, we are not even up to February yet, and the media is already foaming at the mouth to proclaim Obama the champion. There is a lot of fight left in the other Democrats, and nobody knows what to make of the Republicans.
    So, everyone in the media take a chill pill. Report the news, don't prognosticate, intimidate or celebrate. Don't encourage candidates to drop out until the rest of America gets a chance to vote.
    We still get to vote, right?

Thanks,
    A Voter from Kentucky-primary in May!

January 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. Jeff - Plainfield, IL

Wolf, it seems you are part of a large, misinformed portion of the American public regarding the difference in 'Experience' between Clinton and Obama.

Clinton's experience: ~8 years in the US Senate
    Obama's experience: 7 years in Illinois Senate, ~4 years in US Senate

Also, since when is it the President's job to lay out specific, grand plans for the nation? The President is supposed to be the LEADER, not The Decider. We've had one Decider, and I think its been just about all the nation can handle. I'd rather have Obama leading positive change, than Clinton forcing her 'specific plans' down our throats any day.

Sadly for Hillary, she's about to get owned in NH.

January 8, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. Big Al, KC Missouri

Ron Paul is the man. I will not vote for anyone else. EVERY other candidate is in bed with the Council on Foreign Relations and other Pro-globalization groups. Read this: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58425

Here is snipet:
    "WASHINGTON – It started in 1952.
    Nearly every person elected as president of the United States since then – and nearly every opponent – has belonged to a secretive, globalism-oriented organization known as the Council on Foreign Relations.
    Some presidents and their challengers have belonged to additional clubs of internationalists – the Bilderberg Group and the Trilateral Commission. Running mates, too, more often than not have had ties to the groups.
    That the groups exert enormous influence on public policy is indisputable. What is disputed is whether such groups are, as adherents and members argue, just discussion forums for movers and shakers, or, as critics have long alleged, secret societies shaping a new world order from behind the scenes. On that last point at least, no one could challenge the critics: All these groups operate in considerable secrecy, away from the scrutiny of the American public."

By the way McCainer's.....
    John McCain believe it or not, really did cover up evidence of living POW's in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia in the 1990's! I will never vote for him. POW families hate him for good reason. Read the best selling book " Enormous Crime" for disgusting truth. This article is also telling: http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0523,schanberg,64705,6.html
    It sounds strange Rambo 2 was actually based on fact! Google Bo Grist!
    Lucky for them Ron Paul has introduced HR123 to release the secret CIA files and bring these boys back...possibly some even alive! 7 administration have covered this up....I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore!! Go RON Go!!

January 8, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Carol

What's with Bill Clinton's dismissal of Obama's success as a "fairy tale"? Hillary would be lucky to be the fairy princess! It made the Clinton campaign sound embittered and, to be perfectly honest, just a tad bit jealous. Obama's success is due to the fact that he is charismatic and inspires people to want to become involved and to change things for the better. His candidacy is historic and harkens back to the inspiring figures of the 1960s such as Dr. King and the Kennedys. When Hillary took Obama to task for supposedly comparing himself to MLK, all I could think was "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up!" Go Obama!

January 8, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. John

Hillary, HOPE is not just the place Bill was born.
    Rudy, We will no longer be afraid.

Your time and the old partisan guards time from both parties has passed, a new generation has stepped forward to lead America towards a brighter and united future. The youth of America has been waiting for someone to lead them and give them a voice and that voice says we want CHANGE and we want progress. I say vote all incumbents out democrat or republican it is time for new blood to refresh our tree of liberty.

Vote Obama or Paul 2008 just don't vote for business as usual.

January 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. Toni Castillo, Romeoville, IL

Could somebody please ask Obama to define and/or explain what is "Hope" and "Change" with specifics in plain English???

January 8, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. Anna

Al Gore where are you???? ENDORSE HILLARY!!!!!

January 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. Beth

I think it is funny that people actually think Obama could possibly win in the long run....Republicans did not allow the last Democrat (Gore) have position even when he did win the vote....NO WAY will Obama make it all the way!! It will never happen. Republicans are probably laughing at this entire election scenario.

January 8, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Steve, NH

If you really want to know what a candidate stands for go to their website instead of posting messages here! I was undicided so I sat with two browsers open in front of me compared Obama's and Hilary's platfroms... Do the same instead of claiming candidates offer no specifics!

January 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |