January 8th, 2008

Blitzer: What to watch for tonight

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

(CNN) - Beyond the obvious winners and losers tonight in New Hampshire, here are a few questions to consider while watching our coverage:

The speeches after the votes are counted. Obama delivered by all accounts a great speech in Des Moines after winning there. If he wins tonight, what does he do for an encore? What about Hillary Clinton tonight? I will want to see who is on that stage surrounding her. In Iowa, we saw Bill Clinton, Chelsea, Madeleine Albright. What about tonight? Will the Clinton camp project a different image?

Negativity. How nasty will it get? The angry rhetoric is heating up on both sides. Obama, Clinton and Edwards are getting it on - as are Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I suspect all of them will continue to
pump up the volume. I will be listening closely to their respective speeches tonight as well.

The Ron Paul factor. How does he do? He wound up with about 10 percent in Iowa. Will he do the same tonight? He may be a Republican candidate but he clearly appeals to independents - and some Democrats as well. Will he take votes from other candidates who appeal to independents, especially John McCain and Barack Obama? We shall soon find out.

Losers. Who, if anyone, drops out after tonight? Joe Biden and Chris Dodd split after Iowa. Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich, Duncan Hunter and the others all insist they are in the game. But that's what candidates always say until they drop out. Let's see who falls next.

Those are a few nuggets from my viewer's guide to the New Hampshire primary. We will share the details with you every step of the way. If you are a political news junkie as I am, it doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for watching.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: New Hampshire • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Smooth

Obama will steamroll New Hampshire and win by double digits. The desperate Clinton campaign will continue their hollow rhetoric regarding Obama's ability to talk without results to back up the talk.

Most of Obama's naysayer’s haven't even taken the time to read his plans once he becomes President. If anyone wants to see Obama's detailed plans on a multitude of issues, go to http://www.barackobama.com/.

Obama is fast becoming a once in a generation type of figure. Like John Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and Dr. King before him, Obama has the ability to change and inspire a nation. To the doubters out there – rather than criticize Obama, why not open up your ears and heart, and join the movement? Let’s seize the moment, the time is now!

January 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  2. Chris Bender

Wolf I love your show and CNN but come on get up off your knees in front of Obama. Do not make me turn on Fox News! My stomach can not handle that.

January 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. James, Pittsburgh, PA

"Could somebody please ask Obama to define and/or explain what is "Hope" and 'Change' with specifics in plain English???"

You ain't kidding. You should read this article about that: http://www.20dc.com/article.php?id=165

January 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Mandy

Wolf,
    I just voted for Ron Paul. I feel great!

January 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. andy

I think i can explain what hope id and change is !! A WHITE HOUSE with an
    Executive who will have Democrats , Republicans, Independents all under the same roof working to restore are country like with moral's and dignity and not just about promises ! I am a true democrat not republican or independent and I belive in a 2 party system but most americans it seems cant stay with there convictions ! if Obama wanted all the independents he should have run as one like clinton a dem and mccain a rep ! this stuff I will go over here or go over there stuff needs to stop it just makes the country more angry ,I do belive this ! but to each his own destroy us who really cares ? do you ? the guys who hate this country don't have to do a 911 again we will do it to our self's just look what you write about great men and women ! sure we all have faults but you fault your self's not them you have just at fault for this country the way it is not just one person does that if we had that much power all of us would be trying to be the pres and not one man has the answers unless your jesus christ or a profit ! I feel sorry for us I really do if Obama is trying to put this country together it seems as if it is even dividing more look at what you say and do is that what he will bring us my god hold on for the ugliest ride america has ever had ! peace

January 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Anthony

I love politics and hate politicians. I'm voting for Ron Paul, the only "non-politician". Mike Huckabee seems to like his political positions, too, he keeps taking them one by one... what a phony. Can we really trust these other guys, I think Obama is the only other sincere one other than Ron Paul... but Obama's economic policy is scary.

January 8, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Json

I am very disappointed by the way the media handle to coverage of the election. I would like to media to cover on the different between Obama and Clinton. How are they going to implement the change instead of trying to make prediction. I feel very disappointed with the way the american people electing their president in the past few year. The media should do their job instead of trying to make news.

January 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Darlene T. Holling

I'm sick of all your Gushing over Obama !! I wasn't for Hilary before
    but as a woman & a Senior I'm sick of all the press running down Hilary
    & gushing over Obama. Women are treated like dirt in Politics.

I'm am Independent Voter who can't stand Bush but if Obama wins
    I might vote for McCain. After that Iran incident yesterday & with the
    nation about to maybe have a recession, I want someone with
    experience. Hilary has that & everyone loves her husband in other
    countries so we could get back our good will. Obama has no experience
    with Security or finances. What if Iran challenges us again like yesterday?
    What would he do in a recession?

WHY are you not bringing up IMPORTANT things like this?

Darlene T. Holling

January 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. Scott

Mr Obamba makes us feel good. But. my feeling the older middle class will lose under his presidency.

January 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Peter Kopelson

Could someone please explain what kind of ballot an independent voter is given when he/she votes in a primary? Democrats are given a ballot that contains the democratic candidates. A republican ballot contains the republican candidates. What does the independent ballot look like? How do they choose the ticket of their choice?

January 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. Lexi Levy

Experience, experience, experience .... everyone continues to mention Obama's "lack of experience". What about ALL the experience Cheney, Rumpfeld and other "long time experienced" folks in Washington hold .... is our country, communities, sons & daughters, healthcare, education and employment opportunities, etc., in any better condition due to ALL that "EXPERIENCE."????
    What should be more vitally important is .... good judgment ... good listener ... extremely intelligent (wrote two great books) ... excellent communicator ... honest ... solid ... consistent ... decent .... and smart. Obama has my vote!!!!!

January 8, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Clare Redditt

Just listened to CNN reporting on Bill Clinton's words about his wife – Yes, the media has done a job on Hilary – and there isn't anything the public can do about it. The media is slanting the political news – I guess because it makes a good story. Hilary is the only one that can beat a Republican in the next presidential election and the Democrats (aided by the media – esp. CNN) are shooting themselves in the foot by advocating an inexperienced "rock star" to be the next president. If Barak wins we will have another republican in the white house and all the people will have to suffer through it. CNN should be more responsible about helping the "rock star" and worry about what this country needs to get back on its feet. I call your media coverage irresponsible.
    Clare Redditt

January 8, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Maryanne Bell

Why not examine the voting record of the man who would be our next president – Sen. Barack Obama.
    According to the Clinton Campaign – Senator Obama voted "present" – instead of "yes" or "no" – seven times on issues related to protecting a women's right to choose.

Illinois NOW cited Obama's "present" votes on tough choice issues in the Illinois State Legislature when explaining why they would not endorse him. The difference between Hillary's repeatedly standing up strong on choice and Obama's unwillingness to vote "yes" or "no" is a clear contrast, and we believe the voters in New Hampshire deserve to know this difference.

What is this candidate's voting record? I'm trying to be open-minded but can't figure out how to access his voting record – must be all that gray hair on my 52 y.o. head – I guess I'm fading like that 'yellowing polaroid photograph'.

January 8, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Lexi Levy

How interesting that the other candidates jointly claim Obama's inexperience is his liability ... yet, have you noticed many, if not all, of the other candidates have duplicated segments/portions of his speach, techniques, strategies, ... i.e., "change" is on everyones lips now, as well as his style of delivery. My goodness ... he's the "inexperienced" candidate!?!?

January 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Dan A

Quit talking about a Ron Paul / Mike Huckabee ticket! It's not going to happen. Do you guys understand how far apart they are on foreign policy?

Go Ron!

January 8, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Ria Scott

I was watching the article on illegal alliens giving birth in this country.
    simple: how can two illegals make a legal? (baby)
    I think Huckabee was beating around bush about this!
    this comment from someone with many emmigrants in the family including myself.

January 8, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Brent

Thank God that we finally have a presidential candidate to vote for, that will not only provide the White House with intelligence, karisma, and integrity. He will also bring back the lost respect for the U.S. from the rest of the world. That candidate is Barack Obama

Brent

January 8, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. david lamb

I agree with Tom Davie (a previous comment). The media is brain-washing the American people. The mannor or reporting and the focus on Obama truely skews the notion of popularity. Of course, the media isn't interested in the important POSITION of the candidates. The mass media is all about brain-washing the public in order to sell a product; in this case, the product is a political candidate.

January 8, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. Dennis

Great question Toni!

We hear "Change" as Obama's mantra but does anyone know what changes he proposes to make, say, within the first 100 days of his administration?

... and I have a lot of respect for Wolf but having just watched his lead at the top of the 4 o'clock hour; he took it personally what Bill Clinton had to say about Obama's media coverage. Frankly if they did cover the "Punjab" story, I didn't hear it: Guess it's not as important as Hillary's personal moment yesterday.

January 8, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Aly

Wolf,

You should have your own Blog !

But anyways I think tonight will give us great insight into the presidential campaign ! I also expect to see ron paul to do very well like you said" He has very Loyal followers " i mean these people just go crazy when he's given any sort of media attention!

Good Luck Tonight ! : D

January 8, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. KERRY

Al Gore is scared to do anything. Clinton needs to show her true passion for this country. Passion is what has got everyone excited...not change. Change does not come from one person without experienceand help for others. I think Clinton has a better chance of making that change happen. Not that Richardson, Obama and Paul will not make some change happen, but she has the ability to force change one more issues. I am a dem. that will not vote for Obama. I know what I will get from the Rep. and the Independants cannot get together to be a viable force. Richardson first hispanic that is a change, Clinton first women that is a change, Obama first balck that is a change. But these are not changes that help American. And for those of us that are below the middle class....who is there for us. Edwards is a joke with his poverty issue that he has let go of. Edwards is not even a canidate if he rides on Clinton and Obama coattails. Make a stand Edwards for something. The media needs to tell the truth about ALL the canidates. Not one of them is completely honest.

January 8, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Paul

Wolf earlier you spoke of not counting anybody out but you keep mentioning Hillary, Obama and occasionally Edwards, but NO Richardson reports. Why isn't the mainstream media following this candidate more closely as he should be??? Do you (Wolf Blitzer) believe he isn't a great candidate?

January 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. Elaine/South Dakota

Just heard former Pres. Clintons remarks on your show.. I tend to agree with the former President.. The news media always tends to focus more on the canditates in the lead.. After the Iowa primary and listening to Candiate Obama – I was impressed with his 'winning' speech.. However after tuning in to the New Hampshire debate, I got very sick of Obama because he did almost all of the talking and I changed my mind about him.. He talked the most, then Edwards.. Canidate Richardson got very little talking time and I happen to think he would be a much better canditate then either Obama or Edwards, but the news media never talks about him, just where he is in the polls.. Another thing about Obama, I have heard when he was sworn into the Senate he placed his hand on the Koran – not the Bible.. Also heard he attended 'Muslim' schools, yes a Catholic school for a couple of years – but more years at a 'Muslim' school..Where is the media on this information.. I am very concerned about a candiate, or future president, that has such strong ties to Muslim (the Koran etc) leading our country.. The terriosts commented they would take down America from the inside out – is Obama the inside out?? Obama talks about needing change in Washington, is this the change that would evenutally come?? Would love to have the reporters check on that information about Obama and the Koran and his schooling etc, and then report it and discuss it.. Thank you..

January 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Eye Opener

Call me a cynic, but does anybody in his right mind really think Ron Paul has a chance of becoming president or that the rednecks and white folks down south which at last count still is pretty much half of the country which skewed the results of the last election are ready to vote for a black man? Or that whoever the newly elected president is can truly change the establishment we call Washington?

Effective change cannot be brought about by naivete and wishful thinking! Political astuteness, intelligence and battle scars from meaningful experience is what's needed to take this country out of the mess it is in today.

Get real people!

January 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. Chris

I was once a republican who believed in republican values. Then came Bush, whose campaign was against war imperialistic ideals and larger government. I made a huge mistake and this lead me to leave the Republican party as I lost hope in it. They became crazy – neo cons – who did more liberal stuff than the Democrats. I became a democrat to be able to vote against Bush. Ron Paul has shown me there is still hope in vision of a true republican. I might not be able to vote for him in Florida because of my party affiliation, but I would do anything to be able too now that I finally found the candidate I believe in. I will vote for Mike Gravel in Florida because I cannot stand any of the other democrats to be honest.

My dream is to see Ron Paul as our President. Go Dr. Paul!

January 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |