January 8th, 2008

Blitzer: What to watch for tonight

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

(CNN) - Beyond the obvious winners and losers tonight in New Hampshire, here are a few questions to consider while watching our coverage:

The speeches after the votes are counted. Obama delivered by all accounts a great speech in Des Moines after winning there. If he wins tonight, what does he do for an encore? What about Hillary Clinton tonight? I will want to see who is on that stage surrounding her. In Iowa, we saw Bill Clinton, Chelsea, Madeleine Albright. What about tonight? Will the Clinton camp project a different image?

Negativity. How nasty will it get? The angry rhetoric is heating up on both sides. Obama, Clinton and Edwards are getting it on - as are Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I suspect all of them will continue to
pump up the volume. I will be listening closely to their respective speeches tonight as well.

The Ron Paul factor. How does he do? He wound up with about 10 percent in Iowa. Will he do the same tonight? He may be a Republican candidate but he clearly appeals to independents - and some Democrats as well. Will he take votes from other candidates who appeal to independents, especially John McCain and Barack Obama? We shall soon find out.

Losers. Who, if anyone, drops out after tonight? Joe Biden and Chris Dodd split after Iowa. Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich, Duncan Hunter and the others all insist they are in the game. But that's what candidates always say until they drop out. Let's see who falls next.

Those are a few nuggets from my viewer's guide to the New Hampshire primary. We will share the details with you every step of the way. If you are a political news junkie as I am, it doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for watching.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: New Hampshire • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Susan

Whew! Wow! Okay…Okay! If there’s one thing my fellow Americans love it’s the newest buzz word until they beat it to death. Someone will write a song very soon about CHANGE. Springsteen where are you?

We are all so desperate to be rid of the prevailing Administration because of what they have done to our beloved country, and rightfully so. But let’s act responsibly with as much accountable information about the candidates as possible. Because of our anger and desperation, let us not fall for rhetoric and high-minded words without the knowledge of substance behind those words. Let us not fall victim again to the clever machinations of behind-the-scenes political handlers that are experts in their craft. Under the scrutiny that is coming, if substance is there, if facts are there, truth will prevail and we will have done something unprecedented and beautiful, and again be the envy of the world.

What a marvelous instrument the vote is; and what a phenomenal thing to see the youth of our country finally responding to the trumpet of democracy.

January 8, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. Reza

Could you please ask from the candidates comments on this articl from Al Jazeera.

I understand that it is everyone's responsibilities to help this people, however, as an American and the one who has made Iraq the way it is, how are they, candidates, plan to help them?

The chance of hearing about it from you, is zero, but it is worth a shot.

January 8, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. Mira

I love politics and I love the Clintons:)
    hope she wins

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. henna

i am disappinted how the media handle the futuer of our country
    its a sad day in america today that media cover election like pro resling sad,
    sad Obama has no chance he's a loser and alway will be a loser.

please pepole weak up vote for Hillary.

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  5. Julia

Hello, Mr. Blitzer

First off, allow me to say that you are an amazing anchor. I recently had surgery, and you have allowed me to smile through my recovery. You made me realize that I truly want to make journalism my field of study, and I cannot thank you enough for that. You thank us for watching your coverage, but it should be the viewers thanking you and everyone else for bringing us such comprehensive and well thought-out coverage. But enough of my crush on you, down to business!
    I'm a supporter of Dennis Kucinich, but after hearing that he is encouraging his supporters to go for Barack Obama if he does not get the Democratic nomination– which, let's face it, at this point it would take a miracle for anyone other than Clinton, Obama or Edwards to get fair media coverage, let alone the nomination– I am thrilled that Senator Obama won in Iowa and seems poised for a win tonight in New Hampshire. Preparing to vote for the first time this year, I've learned so much about not only these candidates, but what my own views are on a lot of the subjects that are important.
    Once again, thank you, Jack, Anderson, Lou, and everyone else for being such amazing anchors and astounding people overall. I love you all!

January 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Mary Tsaousidis

I believe the media has made barach Hussein obama , candidate for President, a rock idol or something to that effect. This should be one of the most important Presidential elections in history .....with the facts of each candidate and not his likeability or his looks. The facts!!!!!!! There is a lot at stake on who is our next President. Remember ...even our Constitution is at stake.

January 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. Katina

I am proudly supporting Ron Paul. Compliments to Jay Leno for having him on his show after Fox news pulled the dirty stunt not having him on their debates. The truth is hard, but I believe Ron Paul is the most truthful of all the candidates.

January 8, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. Mike

Wolf Iam All for a Female president , If only Hillary would just come down to our leavel meanig { the American People} and show the she can be human it will go a long way

January 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. Eric P

The audacity of some to discount Barack Obama for his so called "lack of experience!" This from many of you who voted for a B movie actor (Reagan), a Texas state governor with very little power or influence (Bush Jr.), and last but not least a little known Illinois state representative who went on to serve one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, later to become one of the most revered Presidents this country has ever seen. Imagine if we hadn't taken a chance on that undistinctive man from Illinois. In the end all were with very little experience, knowledge or proven ability to jutify seeking the highest office of the land and our willingness to believe in them inspite of.

The nerve of some to knock the eloquence, grace and imagination of Obama as fluff and no substance. Isn't about time we were inspired by those who lead us, giving us a chance to once again believe in our country, our government and yes those who run it! Think FDR, Kennedy, Churchill, Martin Luther King, Jr., this is how change begins, this is how a country becomes great again, this is how we dare to believe again and have faith in those we elect and that change is possible!

Why are we holding Obama to a higher standard...His primary opponents hold only a few more years than him in elective office. Lets not forget Senator Clinton has only been an elected official for a little more than 6 years and any experience garnerd prior, came from her husband. Senator Edwards, a one term Senator, held no prior elected public office either. Have we forgotten Obama was an elected official for some years prior to entering the Senate?

In the end the only thing that matters is that the candidates are qualified to be our President. Obama, Clinton and Edward have all more than proven they are qualified, intelligent and capable. The difference is Obama has inspired us as well....

January 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Ad

When discussing the records of the candidates, CNN should show the footage where Michal Ware reported: "I don't know what part of Neverland Senator McCain is talking about when he says we can go strolling in Baghdad".

CNN should also show the footage where Ron Paul predicted the recessions in late '80s and '90s in a 1983 debate. And how he has been talking about the looming recession, long before things started going bad.

That would put some light on the reliability of the candidates, instead of reporting on poll results of perceived 'likability', 'electability' etc. nonsense.

January 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. TooTall

Here is something that I found to be pretty funny from the Union Leader newspaper. Is Bill admitting that Hillary dosn't look good and that she really is Shillary. I wonder how she felt about his comments.

Union Leader Newspaper, NH 1/8/08

Clinton twice mentioned how much respect he has for Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, who dropped out of the presidential race last week following an upset in the Iowa caucus.
    He said he hopes New Hampshire voters don't send the same message Iowa voters did when they chose Obama.

"The voters there said: 'We want something different. We want something that looks good and sounds good. We don't care about achievement.' "

Vote for the Constitution, Vote Ron Paul

Revolution 2008

January 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Jeroen de Munter

@ All those Ron Paulfans: is it really necassary to spam all this articles? do you really think convincing somebody this way?

If everyone here spams for his or her favorit, such topics will become useless.

So @all: like all readers I just want correct and usefull info about the elections. If I want to read heroic pro-Ron statements, I'll check other sites.

friendly greetings,

Jeroen,
    Belgium
    (cause Belgians are quite curiouss about the results as well!)

January 8, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Faye Teekell

Bill Clinton was right on target when he ask about the fairy tale of Obama. I have never voted for Clinton in my life but he knew what he was talking about because you never ask OBama what he means by change or how he would go about change and I am scared to death of what a former muslim may have in way of change for this nation. I am a retired teacher and anyone can contruct a pep rally if you get enough people fired up and bused in to take part with pay. You criticize Clinton and you turn around and ask Huckabee a foolish question and go in depth about immiigration when he said it very clearly that most families would return with their children to their homeland. He never mentioned denying them citizenship if they were born here. Bias news at its best!!!!

January 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Lisa

I think CNN needs to rethink their broken record of self-promoting statements, "CNN: the best political team on television." It's a tired phrase.

Do you think, like Fox News does, that if you just continue to beat people over the head with the same line, that they will believe it? Maybe so. But to the thinking public, you sound ridiculous.

I could go around telling people I'm the greatest supermodel on the planet. Doesn't mean it's true.

We want the news and nothing but the news.

Lisa in Valley Center, CA

January 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. christine

The media is truly throwing a wrench in this process; three decades ago when I was studying journalism, we were taught early on not to make ourselves the story. These folks are so sure of themselves that they report more on their own predictions than on the issues or the character of the candidates. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this: one month ago, the media had Hillary pegged as the inevitable nominee, especially after states like California and New York. Now, after one caucus and one primary, they've got her with both feet in a political coffin and talking about her dropping out tonight. Give us all a break. Have you learned nothing from the past, calling candidates victors before the votes were even counted?

January 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. cindy

How many of the candidates have waffled on the issues on either side of the isle? How many really have a consistant voting record? How many of them have conducted themselves out of devotion to the Constitution? Dr. Ron Paul has stood strong and has not waffled on any of the issues. He wants to solve the economy and foreign policy crisis. He is true to his word, the Constitution, and we the people! God bless him as his positive movement!

January 8, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. Jamie

I think the media should be ashamed of themselves. You cover these critical elections like they were a football game or some sort of popularity contest. I have not seen nor heard one major media organization even attempt to debate how the Presidential Candidates' policy offerings would affect the welfare of the American People. No one seems to care to have an intelligent discussion about who offers the best solutions to our Mountain of problems. It is a freaking joke! Not one among you even attempts to put any substance or care behind your reporting. Shame!!! Yes this is an election of "Change," to use your new idiotic catch phrase of the week; we need to Change all the media personal covering our nightly news!!!!

January 8, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. Kay

I am a DEM that will also NOT vote for Obama. It was nice to hear Wolf Blitzer report the facts without adding negative remarks about the Clinton campaign.

January 8, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Brett

There is one and only one voice in Congress for a foreign policy of freedom, and it belongs to Congressman Ron Paul, who has stood alone for freedom for many years.

January 8, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Lorraine

In regards to the negativity that comes out during these times, I don't think anyone enjoys it, except maybe the press! I just listened to Mr. Blitzer question a reporter about Bill Clinton's statements in support of his wife and with his comments, it seemed to back the Clinton's claims that Sen. Obama is not and has not faced the same kind of scrutiny in the day to day workings of his campaign, as he did not seem to be familiar with the items mentioned. As for the Obama camp's derogatory memo about Sen. Clinton, I must disagree with the reporters contention that it was widely reported by the press. I listen to CNN all day long and it is my internet home page and I never heard about that memo, and I'm a political junkie!! What I find most destressing about the press coverage of all the candidates is how much the press (CNN included) does NOT review and call the candidates on, what they have said and stood for in the past. Mr. Romney and Mr. Thompson have both switched their views on the abortion issue. Mr. Edwards ran as the VP candidate for Sen. Kerry and therer was a good deal of "corporate" money in that campaign. Focus on Mr. Richardson's background as a mediator. Ask Mr. Huckabee, who is running a very faith based campaign, how he would be able to uphold the Constituion's 'separation of church and state'? It is right to call Sen. Clinton (and others) on their change in their views of the war but how is it that I have never heard anyone question Sen. Obama on how he can be so certain about how he would have voted on the war issue when he wasn't even there!!?? It is very easy to look back on something you weren't a part of and say 'I wouldn't have voted for what is now the biggest mistake made in Bush's presidency' but we all have 20/20 hindsight and Sen. Obama was not a part of the Senate when that very emotional issue was taken up. You give Sen. Obama much too much of an easy pass. No one in the press points that although Sen. Obama frequently refers to Rev. King, but it was Sen. Clinton, who as a young college student, repeatedly went to hear Rev. King speak and in his name started the crusade at her school to admit more black students. Please, I ask that CNN be what Fox Network claims to be. BE Fair and Balanced. On a primary day, refrain from rapsodizing on one candidate or another. Stop your pundits from stating something is good or bad for someone's campaign while voters are making their choices. Give the news – don't sway the news.

January 8, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Tim

Its the media that has made it impossible for the regular American to make it in a campaign...The promos that CNN have been running all day tells the outcome of the election today and its just begun. I have watched the broadcast all day and have not heard anything about Ron Paul and others. What a crime!

January 8, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. Jean

How nasty will it get? I don't know, how nasty will the MEDIA get?
    I am really getting sick of many in the media for stating over & over again -> The Clinton's are desparate, they're toast, end of an erra, they're loosing it big time, they're going down, they're frustrated, Hillary was crying (no it was a very special moment), they're going out like Richard Nixon – on & on.
    Let the people decide for themselves, some of the public haven't researched the truth like they should and will be influenced in their votes by all the truly negative remarks against any of the potential candidates by what they hear (with people of the media inflecting their own personal opinions) in the news. Just report the election results as they come out- this is not the end, there are many other states that are yet to decide this election. Keep personal opinions for your day in the voting booth.

January 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. Alex Renteria

I agree with Tom. As a journalist as well, I feel the media is completely controlling when it comes to explaining the electoral process. Just yesterday in Charlie Rose I heard a journalist talk about when Clinton would leave the race. As far as I'm concerned this is a country with more than 2 states and there is plenty to come. It seems confusing to me being a "JOURNALIST" and making such early predictions and altering the facts in such a way that the public becomes confused. I just hope everyone really makes educated, smart decisions based on what is important to them, and not let their thoughts be easily side tracked by mere opinions of some irresponsible journalists.

January 8, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. Freddy Martinez

Im going for Mike Huckabee. NH isnt a state with alot of Evangelicals, but I come from a state that doest either, but I'm hoping and praying that Mike takes NH as well as here in California. GO MIKE!!!!!

January 8, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. JD

Romney / Giuliani Ticket – Now that sounds like a winner.

January 8, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |