January 8th, 2008

Blitzer: What to watch for tonight

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

(CNN) - Beyond the obvious winners and losers tonight in New Hampshire, here are a few questions to consider while watching our coverage:

The speeches after the votes are counted. Obama delivered by all accounts a great speech in Des Moines after winning there. If he wins tonight, what does he do for an encore? What about Hillary Clinton tonight? I will want to see who is on that stage surrounding her. In Iowa, we saw Bill Clinton, Chelsea, Madeleine Albright. What about tonight? Will the Clinton camp project a different image?

Negativity. How nasty will it get? The angry rhetoric is heating up on both sides. Obama, Clinton and Edwards are getting it on - as are Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I suspect all of them will continue to
pump up the volume. I will be listening closely to their respective speeches tonight as well.

The Ron Paul factor. How does he do? He wound up with about 10 percent in Iowa. Will he do the same tonight? He may be a Republican candidate but he clearly appeals to independents - and some Democrats as well. Will he take votes from other candidates who appeal to independents, especially John McCain and Barack Obama? We shall soon find out.

Losers. Who, if anyone, drops out after tonight? Joe Biden and Chris Dodd split after Iowa. Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich, Duncan Hunter and the others all insist they are in the game. But that's what candidates always say until they drop out. Let's see who falls next.

Those are a few nuggets from my viewer's guide to the New Hampshire primary. We will share the details with you every step of the way. If you are a political news junkie as I am, it doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for watching.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: New Hampshire • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Brittany

I have recently come of voting age here in California and I am stoked to see Obama have come this far. I was active throughout the draftobama.com etc websites in hoping just to see him announce he was going to run. He has raised all of his money from the people in small donations. I know that come Feburary 5th, myself and the rest of the young voters here in California will show our raging support for this different kind of candidate.

Barack the vote! I'm with Obama.

January 8, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Sarah

I am appalled at how the media is throwing themselves at Obama. I think he would make a great Vice President – give him some time to get experience! If I were to try to be a physicist (my current job) without my Ph.D., I would fail miserably.

Hillary is the candidate, and even if she loses NH, she can still win on super Tuesday and get the nomination. She is highly intelligent, strong and experienced.

Sad to say, I've been watching Fox News more than CNN because I just can't take the biased coverage against Hillary.

CNN – you better change quickly or you'll lose your open-minded base of support!

January 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Jan, Dallas, Texas

If any one should be whining about the media it should be John Edwards
    and Ron Paul. They along with Sen Obama have a vision.
    Hillary has vitriol.

January 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. patrice

Why is it okay for Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Edwards to attack their husbands opponents, which they both have done frequently, and not for Sen. Clinton's husband to do the same? Is it just because he is a past president? For all those in the press who say that Sen. Clinton hasn't been treated any differently in this campaign just because she is female and are chastising Pres. Clinton for for his support of his wife – you're being hypocrits. Either Sen. Clinton and her spouse can run their campaign just like the other democrats or the press needs to acknowledge their bias.

January 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Troy, Seattel WA

I am proud to support Hillary win or lose.

January 8, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Curious George

Wolf,

I really appreciate the way you present your report thereby exposing candidates who are hypocrites. This primary election is very important to all of us. Therefore, we should select a President who is only capable of running the country without the trial and error method. For those of you who have toddlers, you will remember the monkey, Curious George who is much loved by kids. But this is how Curious George behaves – he will make a mess before realizing that he did something wrong and then afterwards will make amends. Can we afford to have a President who will behave like this? It seems most of us always prefer to go with the wave, the "hype", and the winning ticket without really knowing the candidates platform of governance. With the media exposing the truth (of what these candidates are saying) would help much in deciding who will be the next President of the United States. Young voters, please do not make this as a game; this is a serious matter that we have to think about. We can not afford to elect again another President who banks on false promises, telling fairy tales, and lacks the experience. God gave us intellect in order for us to make good judgment. I am a naturalized US citizen and I strongly believe that United States became what we are now because of immigrants who came to the "New World" bringing with them new ideas. I hate to see this country slipping down because we are not vigilant enough in doing our part in sending the best President who can bring back the greatness that we once have. Bill Clinton proved to us that he could lead this country to greatness in 1992, and Hillary Clinton (if given the chance) can do more. Please democrats, let us be smart. Let us all unite our forces and vote for Hillary Clinton.

January 8, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. castro

she bullies when she's up in the polls, then she cries like a baby when she's down, or throws a temper tantrum like a two-year -old. Sorry, Hill, but not every democrat likes you, not every woman likes you. She claims to have 35 years in government service...there are housekeepers that have scrubbed toilets in Washington for longer, and I am sure that there are "escorts" who can claim 35 years in government service . All she has done is ride on Bronco Billy's coattails, then claiming his ideas as hers...wonder whose idea it was to give Vince Foster a "going away present". Would like a scandal -free White House for a change, and am tired of the bush-clinton-bush-clinton years ...hard to believe that the last president we had whose last name wasn't Bush or Clinton was Reagan...almost 20 years of the same faces...maybe that's why even Ron Paul is looking better to voters than Hillary. Someone, anyone is better than a Clinton or

January 8, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Cade

If you think the country will be stronger if we have stronger families, then vote for Mitt! What good is a strong military if there is nothing left to protect. The Family unit is under attack and he is the only candiate that seems to understand this and is prepared to do something about it!

The Flip-flopper tag just dosn't fit for Mitt. Sure he changed his mind about a couple of different issues over the years. I would rather see a person that can learn from their experiences than for one to pretend to keep the same ideas just so they don't get called names. He has all the same positions he had when he was Governor.

Examine the issues, then vote for Mitt!!!!

January 8, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  9. Mike Hammer

If Mitt Romney doesn't win in NH, he will definitely be in deep trouble. He invested a lot in Iowa and NH in terms of money and organization. A second place finish again in NH will almost doomed his candidacy. He had tens of millions of dollars ahead of his nearest competitor and this is all he can do. If he doesn't win Michigan when his father was a former governor, HARAKIRI to Romney.
    Say goodbye to your candidacy.

January 8, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Sally Martin

Clinton is crying because she knows that if Obama wins the nomination, the religious right will not let a muslim run this country. Therefore, we will have another Republican President and more trouble. If Ron Paul wins he will mess with social security again. How can we invest in the stock market for our retirement or the housing market for our retirement. or the financial institutions behind them? There is no place to invest for our retirement. I would rather have a good salary and pay TAXES, than have less dollars, that are not worth a dime.
    Also I am fed up with the insurance companies that run this country. The insurance companies are the direct decendants of the mafia. Protection for money. I am so discusted with what has taken place in this country that I am thinking of becoming an independant. Sincerely SM.

January 8, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. B Joyce, Acworth, GA

Everyone's talking about how Obama is going to unite us? Really? I just saw Donna Brazille bring up the race card for no reason on CNN. She said Bill Clinton attacking Barack Obama offended her as an African American. Clinton said nothing about race in his comments!

Is this how it's going to play out? Any criticism of the annointed Barack makes you racist? Give me a break! I'm not going to vote for someone because I feel guilty about what white people did to black people before I came along. I feel no guilt fort something I had nothing to do with. Also I don't owe Barack Obama the presidency. He's not qualified for the office and he won't get my vote. End of story.

January 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Tim

Nicely said Alex! Its to bad more journalists and networks do not really care what "we the sheeple" want.

January 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. voice from Croatia

This election's shown how bias americam mass media are. You censor and distort the truth just for the one reason – to protect destruction of th Constitution.
    It's sad that we have had your press as an example of free press. It's not free at all, and you work for your own degradation.
    Respect to all Ron Paul supporters, as well as Denis Kucinic and Gravel. Those three men are THE CHANGE.
    All the best from C.

January 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  14. Claude, Calgary

For the first time, on the Blitzer situation room, Donna Brazil was making sense, Young people are excited and old people are feeling the energy rob off on them too....
    Obama 08/ Edwards!!!!!

January 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Mira

January 8, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Sherry

If nothing else, for a fellow political news junkie like myself, 2008 should be a fantastic year! Although, sorry that there can't be an Obama/Paul candidacy. That would be a political dream team! (in my humble opinion...)

January 8, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  17. Nick

No matter who wins tonight, we all lose. No one seems to stand for anything anymore. The fact that they've gotten enough support to get this far means they mean some gain for someone out there. Nobody makes it to New Hampshire on internet donations alone!

January 8, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Matt OUMMIH

Dr. Ron Paul will be the big winner tonight. Despite being labeled a fringe candidate and being censored by Fox news he will defy the odds and make a remarkable showing. I would not be suprised if he won tonight, where better to make his stand for the Constitution and the rule of Law than in a state whose motto is live free or die. Ron Paul is the only real candidate for Change.

January 8, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  19. Richard, Memphis, TN

Sarah – a physicist eh? is that why you like dinosaurs? Hillary is History. Thank GOD for Obama! The revolution is here and CNN (and others) are only televising it. This aint a kingdom and it is time America recognized that.

January 8, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. Roberta, Canada

First of all I would like to compliment CNN on excellent reporting. I am a Canadian but since I have a daughter living and working in the U.S I am very interested in watching the election process which is very different from Canada. It looks to me as time goes on that the Clinton's are getting very nervous and desperate. I think Bill Clintons should step aside and let Hilary stand on her own two feet. If I were an American my vote would go to Obama.

January 8, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Dennis

The media has abdicated its responsibilty to investigate and report in favor of the more glamorous job of celebrity building. I urge everyone to investigate themselves rather than accepting the annointment of one candidate that the press feels compelled to insert as president.

There is already enough "tabloid" input, where are the real journalist in a presidential race that may be the most important in a life time.

CHANGE? What does this mean, slogan or plan, what is the plan?? Is anyone really going to accept that Romney represents change? I need a definition of change and what change means and how it will be achieved. Lets all play nice together is unrealistic. Speeches are great if they contain substance, but just "America is ready for change" America is ready to be great again" means nothing, where's the meat?

January 8, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. W in Australia

Just in the commments on this article alone people are claiming that CNN was over the top biased towards Clinton (eg Clinton News Network) and others that they are looking at FOX because of CNN's over the top fascination and worshiping at the shrine of Obama ..... the whole network cannot be both – are some segments one and some the other or is it in fact balanced (if focussed on the expected (and more interesting to the viewers/readers) front runners) and different posters remember the things that annoyed them and just enjoy the things that they like as just how it should be etc?

Just wondering!

January 8, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  23. Chris McCarry

I agree with the previous poster; I do not see any major drop-outs tonight, maybe Hunter or Kucinich (who admittedly encouraged his supporters to vote for Obama on the second ballot in Iowa). On the Democratic side I envision Richardson dropping out after Nevada, figuring his campaign wants to wait and see if they can pull out a strong showing in the southwest where Richardson is the neighboring governor of New Mexico. South Carolina will have to be Edwards' "firewall". I've noticed that his campaign is laying off Obama in New Hampshire. If South Carolina does not turn out for Edwards (at least a strong second place) he may stay in the race to raise issues but will eventually throw his support behind Obama. The South Carolina primary will also probably be the end of the Thompson campaign if he does not garner any regional support. Guiliani, Romney, Huckabee are not going anywhere anytime soon, and McCain will need to follow up New Hampshire with a strong showing in Nevada to remain viable.

While most candidates will probably continue after tonight, New Hampshire will absolutely shape the campaign going forward, establishing Obama as the run away favorite.

January 8, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  24. JBH

I AM A DEMOCRAT.

I AM DISGUSTED WITH THE MEDIA PRAISING OBAMA AND HIS "PULPIT PASSION" AND, I AM BECOMING INCREASINGLY AWARE THAT THE RACE CARD IS BEING THROWN INTO THIS ELECTION: FIRST, IT'S OPRAH, AND NOW DONNA BRAZILLE TAKES ON FORMER PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! ONE ONLY HAS TO REFLECT ON SATURDAY'S DEBATE TO SEE THAT HILLARY CLINTON IS THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE FOR THE PRESIDENCY.

I WILL VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN IF OBAMA GETS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION.

January 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  25. Concerned '08

Just a comment about Ron Paul. He is okay if we have to have him, and I like some of his policies, but, forgive me, he is a nutcase. Like I said,his ideas are good, but I really think that he would not be the right president to have in this critical and unstable time America is going through. Barack Obama is my choice. He has followed through on many things he has promised. He did not vote for the war unlike anyone running (except Ron Paul). However, I don't think he is a very strong candidate. I'm very afraid that what will happen is that Ron Paul will just barely not win the nomination, and become the Ralph Nader of 2008. He will take the votes away frm the actually sane candidate and put another George Bush in the White House. That George Bush would be Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, or Fred Thompson. Oh, and I have one more question. When Giuliani was New York's Mayor, where did he put all of the homeless people?

January 8, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |