January 8th, 2008

Blitzer: What to watch for tonight

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

New Hampshire voters are turning out in record numbers.

(CNN) - Beyond the obvious winners and losers tonight in New Hampshire, here are a few questions to consider while watching our coverage:

The speeches after the votes are counted. Obama delivered by all accounts a great speech in Des Moines after winning there. If he wins tonight, what does he do for an encore? What about Hillary Clinton tonight? I will want to see who is on that stage surrounding her. In Iowa, we saw Bill Clinton, Chelsea, Madeleine Albright. What about tonight? Will the Clinton camp project a different image?

Negativity. How nasty will it get? The angry rhetoric is heating up on both sides. Obama, Clinton and Edwards are getting it on - as are Romney, McCain and Huckabee. I suspect all of them will continue to
pump up the volume. I will be listening closely to their respective speeches tonight as well.

The Ron Paul factor. How does he do? He wound up with about 10 percent in Iowa. Will he do the same tonight? He may be a Republican candidate but he clearly appeals to independents - and some Democrats as well. Will he take votes from other candidates who appeal to independents, especially John McCain and Barack Obama? We shall soon find out.

Losers. Who, if anyone, drops out after tonight? Joe Biden and Chris Dodd split after Iowa. Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson, Dennis Kucinich, Duncan Hunter and the others all insist they are in the game. But that's what candidates always say until they drop out. Let's see who falls next.

Those are a few nuggets from my viewer's guide to the New Hampshire primary. We will share the details with you every step of the way. If you are a political news junkie as I am, it doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for watching.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: New Hampshire • Wolf Blitzer
  1. Syed

Obama should not be GIVEN the presidency when 48 states haven't had a chance to vote

January 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. Syed

Also, I know you tried to do this yesterday, but please continue to keep things in perspective for the audience Wolf, as it seems the media has already given Obama a sense of inevitability

January 8, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Reza

When the world is getting smaller by the minute, why any of these candidates have not been asked, about thier international policies?

Since they have make up stories as they go, why should an American like me, believe any of the words that comes out of their mouth?

After all, republican are in control of the house, since the Democratic House, have not done anything but showing a big wooden HAMMER, how can any of democratic candidates think of getting anything done.
    Like bridge to nowhere.

Now, everyone is talking about CHANGE, exactly what is it that they want to change?

Is it another secretive administration we are seeking? Why they are not talking specifics?

It is easy to say and advocating CHANGE, but the question is, WITH WHAT? will you please answer that.

Every president has changed something one way or another, from read my lips not to rais TAX to Creating INTERNET, yet Oil, milk, bread, stamps ..... prices have gone up, please ask these people, either camp, how are they going to help middle class?

Talk is cheap, show us HOW?

January 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Lauren Robbins

People need to understand that no matter what issues we disagree on (abortion, the war in Iraq, immigration,...) every american is concerned about the economy. And if they aren't yet they soon will be. A weak and broken econmomy can ruin a nation, even the most powerful. The only president offering any real solution to our escalating economic policy is Ron Paul. Think of that and then think of the inflation in the 1970's. Ron Paul always goes back to economics. He is the most educated and honest politician I have ever seen or heard in my lifetime. To purposefully discriminate against him on major new stations is unamerican and I am disappointed at the nation we have become. RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

January 8, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. calvin

Nice mention of Dr. Paul, Wolf. At least someone at CNN has decided that there is, in fact, a Candidate named Ron Paul.

In response to some other posts, specifically about abandoning Taiwan:

When I was first being courted by Dr.Paul's ideas I, too, didn't like the idea of abandoning these people to any country that would like to invade them. Ron Paul was specifically asked in an interview if, under his presidency, Taiwan was invaded whether or not he would respond using the US Military. His response was one of the main reasons I support him now. It was this:

"If it was what the American People wanted."

I remembered that day that I lived in a Democracy and what that was supposed to mean, and Dr. Paul won my vote and my support.

January 8, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  6. James Stapleton

Did John Edwards drop out of the race? As usual, no one is reporting on the man who came in second in Iowa. I don't understand why Obama and Clinton are still considered the only two Democratic candidates. The American people spoke last week, favoring Edwards over Clinton, and still he receives no coverage on CNN. What's the deal????

January 8, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  7. Peter Hernandez

I live in the Common Wealth of Puerto Rico, hence I can’t vote for a Presidential Candidate; but if I lived on the Main Land USA, I would definitely vote for Obama.

Peter Hernandez
    Puerto Rico

January 8, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. Kathleen

Hillary Clinton keeps talking about her experience like she was a co-president.
    If that is the case, she has already served 8 years and is not eligible to run again !
    The Clintons disgraced the White House and left it on a very sour note. We need an election free of both the Clinton and Bush dynasties. We have had 20 years of both of these political families and they have not solved nor prevented any of the major problems we face at this time. So-we do need change and hope.....not more of the same.

January 8, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. Craig

Ok, I understand that you have fill air time, but with 11% of the vote in, it is irresponsible to declare a projected winner without more facts. I expect more from CNN.

January 8, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. Craig

January 8, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  11. david

i am wondering why the US asks all registered citizens to vote. if you can forecast a victory with 10% of the precincts in, then why have the rest of the 90% of the votes. I am not making fun of voting, but its all statistics. You can sample a population with a small sample. Sampling is used everywhere. Yes, as US citizens its important for your voice to be heard but in the end wont everything end the way its supposed to be? All you need is a good sample size and I guess 10% is good? Just a thought, not a criticism and I would like to hear all your thoughts.

January 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. BOB ATANASIO

I believe in the end we will see a Clinton Obama ticket. Hillary will prevail due to the wins she will realize on Super Tuesday. Obama must be on the ticket. He will bring the youth vote and deliver Illinois in the general election. California and New York are safely in the Democratic column as will be Michigan, Ohio, Mass. Conn. New Jersey, and Indiana. Florida should go Democratic this year as well as Oregon and Washington. If Obama does get the nomination, I see Hilary in the second spot, she wants to be in Washington and if Obama wins a second term, Hilary will be our next president after Obama. Look for a long absense for the Republicans thanks to George. I sincerely hope whoever wins the White House does not invite George back into it ever. He has disgraced the office, lied to the American people, and should be run out of town.

January 8, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. L. Maynard Harry

From Canada.

I've been following CNN ll afternoon and evening today. I guess all you reporters at CN are pretty disappointed to see Hiliary sitting at 40%. All afternoon CNN had people pro-Obama. I was fully expecting CNN to 'endorse' Obama.

I think Presidetn Clinton was right in his 'fairy tale' comments as well as the media giving Obama a 'free ride.'

Maynard

January 8, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. Paul Battis

If McCain plans on winning this thing somebody (Iranians) better do something fast so that we (The U.S.A.) have no choice but to invade and bring democracy to your land of terror. I suspect that if McCain's numbers are low after Super Tuesday, we should see war in Iran sooner rather than later as a play on his tough-on-terror stand. This murderous move could also behoove Rudy. Either that or somebody gassing up a plane and running it into something. It doesn’t matter who pilots the plane obviously, just as long as we can label them terrorists, and conveniently find their passport lying near the wreckage nearby thus putting a Middle eastern face with the crime. I hope the American people won't be fooled by this "stunt" again because I've got a feeling there could be one more round of this sort of thing coming up very soon.

Ron Paul '08

January 8, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. Wolf Fan

Wolf,

Why is the Wyoming primary not considered important? What about Nevada, why is South Caroling more important than NV.

January 8, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  16. florence hyatt

I am not quite sure what " your comment is awaiting moderation" means...I am a first time contributor...please advise if I need to do anything further?

January 8, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. martin

surge does not exist as to military conditions.
    dictionary definition: "Surge:1. to rise high and roll onward as waves, swell, or ;heave. 2. to move or go in a manner suggestive of this. 3. to increase or vary suddenly as an electric current

reinforcement: 1. to give new force or strength to. Mil
    to strengthen with additional ;personnel or equipment

there is more so stop then bull

January 11, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. Mekki

hello politics :-))

let us think what are the best options for us. in my opinion Edwards should drop out of the race!! he knows very well he is not going to win and he does not have enough support or money to run his election. i agree with his ideas but he had his chance in the past and it did not work with the American voters. however, he should endorse Obama and maybe become his runner mate . this will help Obama for sure and stop the Clintons and their dirty politics. Obama is the new blood , his ideas and his hope for this country make all Americans proud and optimistic for a better life. we should encourage all young people to vote because in this election our new president will be picked by the new generation not the old school voters.
    the new generation care less about race , gender and religion. what we care about is how to make U.S of America strong again ( economically ).
    God Bless you all and YES WE CAN !!!

January 11, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. Holly Evans

Dear Wolf,
    I sincerly believe you would ask this question Senator Hillary Clinton,
    Last time in New Hampshire she aruably appealed to the emotions of some voters and managed to win. However, dont you think that would be a setback for her because a leader although he/she passes through hardships he should lead with courage. She should have shown strength, courage but she failed to do that. My grand pa used to say be a mani.e be strong. There would be myriads of issues in America in the forseeable future is she going to cry in puublic for that also?

January 13, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. Holly Evans

I wish America triumph above all and at this critical moment I dont thing Hillary taking America where it belongs. Because, this campaign could not be a grave yard of what she has been brought about and that somehow contributed to the isolation of America in the Arab world yet she is running for a presidency to insert a thorn into the wound of the American people. I am so sorry to say this America just have had enough of her eras and it is good to leave for the two folks there.
    God Bless America

January 13, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. Holly Evans

Will hillary take (share) some of the responsibilities for some grand mistakes done during her husbands tenure? Because they say behind every strong man , there is a strong woman . so she was part of all trhe processes during clinton's tenure.

January 13, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  22. Holly Evans

As a president of a proud nation Clinton should believe in her ability and try to show what she can do for America not put fictious blames against others and she should not delve into what others cannot do.

January 13, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. Holly Evans

America needs a new inspiring breathe. Not Madline albright.... A real new blood a new face. We thank them and respect them for whatever good and bad they did but now it is enough.
    Let America have the inertia that would catapult her to a place where it belongs and this would come as far as empirical evidences can tell from Obama.
    God Bless America

January 13, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Lesley

WOLF, YOU DID IT AGAIN. You keep quoting Donna Brazil's being offended by Bill Clinton's comments – when you know she revised that statement in great detail and in favour of the Clinton's support of the African American community. Jeez.

January 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. len

I found this interesting. On Clintons website in the photos there is a giant American flag with upside down stars. I believe the photos were taken in NH.

January 14, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |