January 8th, 2008

Carville and Begala deny Clinton campaign return

(CNN) - Democratic strategists James Carville and Paul Begala categorically denied a FOX News report Tuesday that they would be joining Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign after the New Hampshire primary.

"It is patently false,” Carville told CNN Tuesday. “Whoever is telling you that has no idea what they are talking about. I have not spoken to anyone in the Clinton campaign about any role, any position anything at all."

"I am a maxed-out contributor, and I sympathize with her, and I have friends there with whom I talk from time to time, but I have no role."

Carville added that he does speak with former President Clinton from time to time.

Begala also categorically denied any kind of formal or informal role with the Clinton campaign.

Carville and Begala held key positions in former President Bill Clinton's back-to-back presidential victories in the 1990's.

FOX News reported that the pair would join the campaign as senior political and communications strategists, supplanting but not replacing the current team of senior advisor Mark Penn and campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle.

Both Carville and Begala are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Gavin Indiana HRC

Sounds like the FakeNEWS Network is lying about the Clintons again...

...figures. Who watches that channel anyway?

Senator Clinton 2008

January 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. BL Bucher

I will not vote for Hillary, not because she's a woman, but because I don't trust her, I am very concerned about her close relationship with India, I don't want another 4 years (or, God forbid, 8 years) of Bill Clinton, I am still not convinced she was not in any way involved in Mr. Foster's death and I have never believed it was suicide. I could go on, but what's the point. I just don't like her or trust her. I don't like any of her so-called programs, and on, and on. If we elect her, we are going to be even more sorry than when Bush was elected.

B. Bucher, Nevada

January 8, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Geri Sacramento

Too bad. I'd love for Begala and Carville to work on Hillary's campaign. Like Hillary, they are bright, experienced, realistic, clear-headed, and balanced. At the very least, they'd be great consultants.

January 8, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Gail from NH

I agree with Bill Clinton the media in particular CNN has done nothing but bash Hilary Clinton !!

Obama this Obama that !! continually for four days in a row.... Don't underestimate Hillary for president.

Obama won Iowa you would have thought he won the race for president of the U.S.

Shame on CNN for the way that the wolf blitzer and the rest of the cast played this win.

The only person on CNN with any class is Lou Dodds... I hope he runs for president..

January 8, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Come on guys, you really need to help her. I have been hoping since I haven't seen you on CNN lately that you were going to join her campaign. We need you, your country needs you and the Clintons need you. Join the bandwagon and lets take Hillary into the White House.

January 8, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Dave, Evergreen CO

They may be loyal Clintionites but they aren't stupid.

January 8, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Charles Kirby

...bring James Carville and company in: He's the best by far, and she can us some hard ball players....Bill don't need to be the stategist...can't do like James Carville....

January 8, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Walt, Belton, TX

I'd deny it too, nobody wants to go out on a real bummer...............

January 8, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. Rick

I wish they would join. She needs help to keep B.O from fooling everyone into thinking he knows how to make change happen or what to change!

January 8, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Vic Novosad, Sugar Land, TX

Too bad. These two men would be major assets to the Hillary Clinton campaign. They know this woman and her family better than any one, and possess a credibility that's second to none. Besides, Begala is from my hometown, and we like him.

January 8, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Eric, from THE Republic of Texas

Even as a conservative, I have great respect and appreciation for James Carville. He seems like a genuinely good guy with a great sense of humor, even though I couldn't possibly disagree with him more on the issues. (Speaking as a fellow who, like Carville, is in a politically "mixed" marriage, "I feel his pain.")

However, if he truly is back in the Clinton camp, I admit I'm saddened.

January 8, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. RealityKing

Both Carville and Begala are CNN contributors. Surprise, surprise...

January 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Bob, topeka, ks

Way to show people you are the change candidate Hillary. Bring back bombthrowers from the 90's. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

January 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Ruth Samuels, Charlottesville,VA

What is wrong with Carville and Begala joining Hillary's campaign. I would welcome it! So they talk to each other from time to time...so what! Don't listen to the crap coming from Fox News, do what you want to do James and Paul.
    GO HILLARY!

January 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. larry munoz

I find all these stories very interesting and am curious how the propaganda machine of the newspaper and tv media's are once again turning the tide on our electorial process.

Yes, I do think that Senator Obama has not had to answer tough questions. To me that is remenants of a not so long ago period when George W Bush was riding the same wave and not having to answer tough questions, using only his faith in God to determine his answers.

I don't have a clear definite choice yet in my vote, but I do know one thing if the media is not going to ask these candidates equal questions and get straight answers, then the candidate who cannot be transparent is just another GEORGE W. BUSH and will not get my vote.

WE THE PEOPLE, Deserve better from our FREE press.

January 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Amy

Well that is what Bill Clinton has been saying. That he gets advice from Carville from time to time. So who are we to believe? None of them? Yes, time for change we can BELIEVE in with Obama.

January 8, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. MARVIN POWERS

CARVILLE AND BEGALA SHOUILD CONFIRM THAT CHELSEA IS ILLEGITIMATE AND TELL WHY VINCE FOSTER KILLED HIMSELF IN IN SLICK HIL'S BEDROOM.

January 8, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. Rena Ware

The American Public should not "stand" for the New Hampshire caucuses running out of Democratic Ballots in America or maybe the US Adminstration should practice what we preach. Democracy starts at home in the homeland and not abroad.

January 8, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. Ca Native

I wonder what these two Clinton mouth-pieces will be saying AFTER they join the Clinton campaign??

Always humorous how vehemently the truth is denied (Hillary says in 2004 she is NOT running for President, Mayor Bloomberg (NY) has repeatedly denied contemplating an independent bid for the Presidency, Carville~Begala deny... etc).

Never-the-less... Carville and Begala can't save the sinking ship that is USS Hillary. Down she goes like the famed Titanic.

January 8, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. McBride, SLC, UT

Leave it to Fox to get it WRONG!

January 8, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. Ramona Ford

I hope this gets to Wolf Blitzer or maybe Jack Cafferty.

My whole office and family of 7 siblings and their families are appalled by the comments made by Candy Crowley today.

I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area; my circle of family, friends and business associates could form a lively fan club of both President and Mrs. Clinton.

You might remind Candy of the fact that every other candidate has the luxury of their spouses speaking up for their candidate (Elizabeth Edwards on Hard Ball last week). But according to Candy, it seems awful for Bill Clinton–that's President Bill Clinton...remember the genius who balanced the budget and left office with a surplus????

Perhaps you could ask her to keep her bias out of the reporting. Hillary has led a fine campaign; moreover, she continues to lead in the National Polls. I find it quite repulsive that CNN (my favorite station, especially for politics) is allowing a national reporter to quite blatently run down Hillary Clinton.

CNN should offer an apology; I will be quite embarrassed for you if you do not.

Ramona Ford

January 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Kevin,FL

I have a feeling at some point during this race both James Carville and Paul Begala will join the Clinton Camp.. Maybe After NH..

January 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  23. Darth Vadik, Diamond Bar CA

Well of course they are coming back, I'm 100% sure now that they have denied it.

January 8, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Don Wilmington, DE

FOX NEWS is reporting false news.

wow, how about that?

January 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  25. Karen, NYC

They would be fools to ruin their career over the overblown egotistic Clintons.

Bill is upset because we didn't follow the Clinton's playbook script to allow the entire family to become President regardless how outdated their message is, how corrupt their 2 White House runs were and how disconnected they are with other Americans.

Maybe they should buy a small island and crown themselves King and Queen. That should feed their overblown egos enough to Shut Up and Sit Down!

If these two; James Carville and Paul Begala, join up with the Clintons they should realize from that point forward their opinions would mean nothing and they would become experts in jumping on a fast moving train to disaster.

I say leave the Clintons in their mess and let them face the music. America don’t want anymore of that old time news.

January 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |