January 8th, 2008

Carville and Begala deny Clinton campaign return

(CNN) - Democratic strategists James Carville and Paul Begala categorically denied a FOX News report Tuesday that they would be joining Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign after the New Hampshire primary.

"It is patently false,” Carville told CNN Tuesday. “Whoever is telling you that has no idea what they are talking about. I have not spoken to anyone in the Clinton campaign about any role, any position anything at all."

"I am a maxed-out contributor, and I sympathize with her, and I have friends there with whom I talk from time to time, but I have no role."

Carville added that he does speak with former President Clinton from time to time.

Begala also categorically denied any kind of formal or informal role with the Clinton campaign.

Carville and Begala held key positions in former President Bill Clinton's back-to-back presidential victories in the 1990's.

FOX News reported that the pair would join the campaign as senior political and communications strategists, supplanting but not replacing the current team of senior advisor Mark Penn and campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle.

Both Carville and Begala are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Edwards

Hilary...the candidate of lies.

January 8, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Robert Bell

I was under the impression these clowns were the ones mucking up the works.

You mean Mark Penn did ALL THAT?

Wow, he is talented!

Maybe he should go back to representing BLACKWATER.

FWIW.

January 8, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. lucy goulas

Hillary, Needs to sound more energetic and loud like Obama, yes bring back the boys to help her win the election.... Mr. Obama sounds too much of fairy tale, too much sweet talking but, can he really do the job? If wins the democratic ticket...guess what...I will vote REPUBILCANT!

January 8, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  4. Andy, New York, New York

Even if Barack Obama were to join Hillary's team, Hillary would still lose!

People need to understand that if Hillary is not known after all these years in the political lime light, when will she be known? With her so-called 35 years of experience and the Clinton name, that was all she needed to bring home the bacon.

No one can save Hillary. Not herself! Not Bill! Not Carville! Not Begala! Not Obama! Not eve you freakin blind mice running around hollering for Hillary! It's a wrap!

January 8, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. PCM 01

It never ceases to amaze me, every time that we face political drowning we tend to believe that cement blocks are floating devices.

old ideas+old kronies+ irrelevant experiences IS Not Equal To Positive Change

January 8, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. bywill

GO LAY DOWN BILL, YOUR PART OF THE RESON HELLERY IS LOOSING THE NOMINATION!

January 8, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Robert Bell

"Sounds like the FakeNEWS Network is lying about the Clintons again…

…figures. Who watches that channel anyway?"

Actually, Hillary does. Fox News owner Rupert Murdoch is one of her largest contributors and also has hosted a fundraiser for her.

Think about that and what the implications are...

Senator Clinton 2008? Perhaps not.

January 8, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. dwash

Ok, Hilary is really trying hard to drum up the votes in NH. Gosh, and she makes remarks as to say to Obama "you don'thave the right to mention MLK in your speeches" WHATEVER HILLARY!!! trying don't seperate Obama from MLK.? I bet she'll be quoting him and paying respect to MLK this month during her campaign stops. Trying to get int he African american pulpit on MLK day.
    Why would she critisze him for using MLK? Obama's had racial struggles too, he understand that struggle. If i was voting for Hill, that alone would turn me away from votitng for her. If i was running for President as a black man YES i would mention MLK, and all the other GREAT African Americans in my speeches Yes, i have a right, because that's my heritage. More power to you OBAMA, make us proud man, Make us proud!!!! MLK would be PROUD

January 8, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Dorothy, White Salmon, Wa

Fox News is just speculating and spreading lies. They have never been a truthful station, so why start now?
    However, I would have thought better of CNN – where is the unbiased reporting? Candy Crowley and Wolf Blitzer sure have been hitting Bill Clinton, but then other spouses are allowed to make negative comments all the time.
    Get a grip... maybe Hilliary will need occasional input from Begala and Carville, but not on a formal basis. And, if they join the campaign it will be great.
    CNN should investigate the voting records and positions taken by Obama so that the people know the truth.. This guy is kind of an unknown without experience and we've had 7 years of that in the white house and don't want it anymore.

January 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Robert J.

Mr. President just think about how you came into power in 1992, and 1996. You were supported by the black community which Senator Obama comes from. Now that he brings a vision of inclusion of all Americans of all backgrounds you wish to do all in your power to destroy it. You have just show us your true color. Just think about your wife. What is she doing? She is running on experience fairytale just as Senator Obama. All she have is ambition to be the first female president. All you politicians are nothing, but faker. 28 years of Bushes and Clintons running this country is enough. I love you and your wife before but, now I don't because of target media coverage of Obama. That is dirty politics, dirty game, and that is how a dictator acts. Give me a break, this whole thing is the biggest fairytale of you and your wife I have ever seen. Both of you want to be President, Husband and Wife want to be President, Entire family want to be president?
    The next will be Daughter or Laura Bush want to become president regardless how corrupt her husband was. T

January 8, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Karen, NYC

Cry me a river over Clinton's past wins. That was the PAST and this is now. If you're looking for a dictatorship then ask for membership to the Clinton's small island and maybe you can help sweep their lawns. They may just give you a sweet piece of cake for your efforts.

Let's MOVE ON !!!

January 8, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. carlos

I can't in all honesty vote for Obama. I like Obama. I think he's a great person, a greaet speaker – but speeches alone don't bring change about. His lack of experience is an issue – I know that he is well liked, very intelligent but if anyone thinks that experience isn't an issue – look at the past 8 years. GB experience in his first 2 years brough nothing but crisis to this country. I can't imagine people wanting nothing less than the most experience person in the white house.
    I have been a long democratic supporter but I will vote for McCain if it comes to McCain – Obama. I can't vote otherwise.

January 8, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. William Withrow

I don't know if Hillary's campaign is as dead as people say. It's still early. But I think they are shocked to be behind early and that they are having to work so hard for it. The old tricks, which seemed fresh and new back in 92 and 96, seem dated now. The scripted emotional displays, and then the next day, announcing, "This proves I have emotions". Having Bill hammer away, threatening to bring in the big gun in Carville. This does come across as being about nostalgia, about being a reaffirmation of the Clinton years. It has this "Let's get the old gang back together again and see if we can do it one last time for old times sake" feel to it. Back in 92, the Clintons were Rocky Balboa and the rest of the political world was Apollo Creed. Now, they are still Rocky Babloa, just older, and they want to do this because this is who they are and who they always have been. Just like Rocky in the last movie, they may make a good fight of it, but they will probably lose in the end.

WMW

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Robert J., MN

Mr. President just think about how you came into power in 1992, and 1996. You were supported by the black community which Senator Obama comes from. Now that he brings a vision of inclusion of all Americans of all backgrounds you wish to do all in your power to destroy it. You have just show us your true color. Just think about your wife. What is she doing? She is running on experience fairytale just as Senator Obama. All she have is ambition to be the first female president. All you politicians are nothing, but faker. 28 years of Bushes and Clintons running this country is enough. I love you and your wife before but, now I don't because of target media coverage of Obama. That is dirty politics, classles, dirty game, and that is how a dictator act. Give me a break, this whole thing about you and your family want to be president is the biggest fairytale I have ever seen in history. Both of you want to be President, Husband and Wife want to be President, Entire family want to be president.
    The next will be Daughter and Son or Laura Bush want to become president regardless how corrupt her husband was. Time for fresh faces with good intention.

January 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. LUE BONILLA

They dont want to help her cause,they want real CHANGE,not the same old garbage coming from her campain. I do respect hillary,shes a great democrat,but i want areal CHANGE in washington.. VOTE OBAMA 08

January 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. eltt

The last two names hit it straight on the head (june and jlawj)....I guess there are some sensible people left in this world who see the Clinton's for what they are worth...nothing...It's funny how they want the Black vote, but let someone else be better than Hilderbeast, and watch how they turn on anyone (even people of color....Wake up America, with Hilderbeast in the office, not only will terrorist be rejoicing, they will be waiting....since they have given to the Hilderbeast campaign....CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC , NPR (radio for idiots) does any of those "Biased" stations ring a bell.....

January 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Linzy

Bill and GW use the press more effectively than any other national figures around. Bill you protest too hard! Could it be perhaps that you don't want to have to spend time with Hillary should she not win?

Ultimately Hillary may not loose but imagine how deeply these attacks are effecting those of use who have to watch this long term. Obviously she deserves fair press. The problem is that people don't like her persona. She's educated but she has the personality of a rock. You might be able to make her act differently for a few months but what's in her is in her. You can't change the nature of who she is. If she wins fine. In my book she's only one step above John Edwards who is about as plastic as a hangar. He won't balance our budget he doesn't understand the value of a haircut. Anytime someone pays $800 for a $45 haircut they don't comprehend real life.

If as they say that Obama won't elected then I will switch parties and vote for MCCain. I know several people who plan to do the same.

January 8, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. dwash

Ok, Hilary is really trying hard to drum up the votes in NH. Gosh, and she makes remarks as to say to Obama "you don'thave the right to mention MLK in your speeches" WHATEVER HILLARY!!! trying to seperate Obama from MLK.? I bet she'll be quoting him and paying respect to MLK this month during her campaign stops. Trying to get in an African american pulpit on MLK day.
    Why would she critisze him for using MLK? Obama's had racial struggles too, he understand that struggle. If i was voting for Hill, that alone would turn me away from voting for her. If i was running for President as a black man YES i would mention MLK, and all the other GREAT African Americans in my speeches Yes, i have a right, because that's my heritage!!!!!!. More power to you OBAMA, make us proud man, Make us proud!!!! MLK and your other ancestors would be PROUD!!

January 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. Stations

Faux News would have warmed even Joseph Goebbels heart.They are truely the greatest Lie Machine going.Their brown shirted,kool-ade drinking BELEIVERS bow at every word spoken just as they did for Goebbels before and even after the War in 1945 ended.He could have told them they won and his sheep would have believed him .

January 8, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Sheila

I think Hillary is the only Democrat who is ready to take on the mess that George Bush has left. I will NOT vote for someone who has NO experience. How can people put their trust in someone who has really done nothing. I'm sure Obama is a nice man and smart but he is NOT ready to run a messed up country. I will vote for the person with experience and if it's not Hillary then it will be a Republican.

January 8, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  21. Tyrese Gail Williams

Just what we need: Two of the nastiest, meanest, dirtiest campaign operatives riding to Hillary's rescue. Does America really need the campaign to get nastier???

January 8, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. SabrinaVanderford

Is any one getting a little sick of the media constantly telling everyone how they should think? They did it to Al Gore, John Kerry and now Hillary Clinton. Have they vetted Obama as they have Hillary? When are they going to get serious and start asking him the tough questions. Wake up America, this is a very dangerous world we live and we need to have someone that is up to speed on every aspect. If you want a Rock Star go to a concert. Remember we are voting for the the most important job in the United States , by all means vote but think hard about it.

January 8, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. beverly

Sick of the Clintons! Need a new face.

January 8, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. Robin, L.A.

To Ramona Ford in Dallas, Texas:

Way to tell Wolf, Candy, and team to shape up! I am sick of the bias against the Clintons on CNN. What ever happened to the idea of objectivity in journalism?

In Southern California, every Democrat I know is voting for Hillary.

The world is a serious place. These are grave times. It is not the time in history to roll the dice by giving an amateur the biggest job on Earth.

Well said, Romana!

January 8, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. beverly

Bill Clinton was impeached! Enough of him in the white house. We don't need another scandal.

January 8, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |