January 8th, 2008

Carville and Begala deny Clinton campaign return

(CNN) - Democratic strategists James Carville and Paul Begala categorically denied a FOX News report Tuesday that they would be joining Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign after the New Hampshire primary.

"It is patently false,” Carville told CNN Tuesday. “Whoever is telling you that has no idea what they are talking about. I have not spoken to anyone in the Clinton campaign about any role, any position anything at all."

"I am a maxed-out contributor, and I sympathize with her, and I have friends there with whom I talk from time to time, but I have no role."

Carville added that he does speak with former President Clinton from time to time.

Begala also categorically denied any kind of formal or informal role with the Clinton campaign.

Carville and Begala held key positions in former President Bill Clinton's back-to-back presidential victories in the 1990's.

FOX News reported that the pair would join the campaign as senior political and communications strategists, supplanting but not replacing the current team of senior advisor Mark Penn and campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle.

Both Carville and Begala are CNN contributors.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Nick R

Those of you pinning your hopes on Hillary are moronic. Cannot you see through this woman, Hitlery? ANYBODY but Hillary!!! No folks, Fox News is not to blame for everything.

January 8, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Arax

It took one "Clinton" to fix "Father Bush " mess, now it needs two "Clintons" to fix "Son Bush" mess.

January 8, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Walt, Belton, TX

Glenda Snow, Arkansas

You innocence is so refreshing! God bless you.

January 8, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  4. Leo, Mesa Arizona

I agree the media is bashing Hillary ... but why do you think that is? She is battling to become the most powerful political figure in the world yet I see no real identity. I see no vision for the people. I see no inspiration. I do not see her utilizing her vast experience to win over the American people. Nothing. She is looking like an amateur not a professional. Obama is using his experience and political saavy to convey all of the things I have just stated ... he is using his skill as a speaker to win over the American people. It is awesome! It is inspiring! It is exciting! We have a long way to go ... GO OBAMA!!!!!!!

January 8, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  5. Robin, L.A.

To Genda Snow in Arkansas:

Nicely articulated defense of Hillary in your comment, above.

I badly want Hillary to outline her achievements and experience of the past 35 years because people ridicule her when she says that. If you can get this message to her campaign, tell them they should read the HuffingtonPost.com blog yesterday by Joe Cutbirth: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-cutbirth/memo-to-hillary-how-to-b_b_80349.html

There is some good advice there for Hillary, including the suggestion that she drop the 35-year reference and focus on her plans as president.

I also think she would be helped tremendously by letting Chelsea speak more publicly to young people.

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful piece on Hillary. In Southern California, we're voting for her!

January 8, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  6. Hishashi Shinma

Those two guys are way too smart to get involved in something that is on the verge of imploding. Didn't one of Hillary's own senior aides say that her campain is getting depressing?

January 8, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  7. dwayne

one america is what this race is all about. I hope Americans everywhere will accept their responsibility to live up to the democracy and not a system of autocracy.

January 8, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  8. Don't Mess With Texas

Obama can enjoy the ride for a while, but soon enough he will be challenged to answer where he specifically stands on issuses. He's enjoying the spotlight and his supporters think he is squeaky clean. Don't bet it on it. The media is holding him to different standards than Hillary, and many of us know why. She's a woman and it's much easier to go after her than him and thus appear racist. Give me a break. He wouldn't be able to stand the heat in the kitchen if the media starts to chew on him–he'll be sputtering all over the place! I already see Bush in him–inexperienced and he struts when he walks out to face his supporters. Egoisic confidence. Seems to me to be a cover up for what he lacks–experence and real knowledge to lead this country. Good ole boy network and sexism alive and well in America and so many women are too dumb to recognize it! What a shame!

January 8, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Alberta Sequeira

I don't understand the people of the US when it comes to voting. Monday Obama refused to speak to the media or answer questions from the crowds. Is this the kind of president that people are voting in? Is this how he will act in the White House? Will he answer what he wants or when he wants?
    His speach is about change, even though he doesn't say how.

There isn't one canidate that doesn't want change. People are blind thinking he is the only one with this dream.

Hillary has had over 35 years experience. First people get mad when she shows she's strong and then they talk about her because she shows emotion. She's the best person for this position. Experience has a lot to do with it and voters are ignoring it.

People are voting for someone who has charisma. Will that trait solve our worldly problems?

January 8, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. Karen, NYC

Pat, NY

You sound rather bitter. Is that because your girl is losing and can't get up?? Maybe you should have traveled to NH to help fill the room... or perhaps sat in the 'overflow room' then pretend you're from NH to keep up that appearance.

The glass ceiling is about to crack... watch out for the falling glass....

January 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. john campbell

Cliton time is over, We need to be realistic there are many good people in america who can lead this great nation. Despite the negativity in hillary campain Obama is still rolling. No body can fix Hillary problem. We need a new person with new idea and perspective. Obama is just very inspirational. He is a right guy at right moment in US politics. Soon or later all those good people who still have faith in hillary will join the people crusade for change.

January 8, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. Misha

If Obama wins, I'm voting Republican. It's unbelieveable someone who actually responds by saying "Go to my website" when asked to talk about what his actual ideas are, could be taken seriously by anyone. Americans are too stupid to save themselves. Obama will bring nothing but increased taxes and even worse it will all be a total waste of money. He has no good ideas that will actually accomplish anything. People are so stupid. It's disheartening.

January 8, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Karen, NYC

a-ha…. a-ha...

I was just chuckling to myself thinking about Hillary and her campaign mess....

She talks about stability but her campaign has gone through turmoil since its creation. How in the heck can I trust to stabilize the USA and Global problems when she can't even stabilize her failing campaign team?

Everyone’s to blame but Hillary and Bill… if she's not running on her own accord then who are we electing and why??

Scary isn't it...?

a-ha....

January 8, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  14. Don't Mess With Texas

If for Obama wins (which I pray he doesn't), he will not get my vote! I cannot and will not support someone I do not believe in. I may stay home or just vote Republican for the first time in my life! He will not win! And for as for you John Campbell–go to church, pray read your bible if you are looking for inspiration! You are being blinded by sweet words! Hillary you will survive and men hate that!

January 8, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  15. john williams san diego, ca.

Carville is not the pure throat slasher, but 'the forehead' can look in your eyes, smile and make you feel guilty as he lies and twists the truth..i think begala and hillary were separted at birth.

January 8, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I find it interesting that up until the Iowa caucuses, the posts on CNN articles were going on and on about how CNN stood for Clinton News Network, and it was blatant Clinton promotion. Now everybody is calling CNN anti-Clinton and pro-Obama. They report more on whoever is ahead, people. That's what news is.

Also, I see the post from carlos comparing Obama's experience and that of GWB. The difference between them is that Obama has intelligence, common sense and good judgment, all sadly lacking in GWB. We could have seen these defects in GWB if we had examined his record running his oil companies before we elected him. The country is now in pretty much the same shape as those companies were when he was done with them, only daddy can't bail him out this time.

Olivia – don't believe something just because you get an email that says it. There are myriads of false emails circulating on just that subject. The object of those emails is to produce exactly the result they got from you. None of that stuff is true. It amazes me how susceptible republicans appear to be to garbage that someone just makes up and throws out into the mix, just to create ill will. Don't you guys ever check anything out to see if it is true before you pass it on?

January 8, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. Jack

What can we expect from Fox News? They also love to say how they offer "Fair and Balanced news reporting." And people wonder why Cheney demands a hotel room with Fox News. Fox swings so far to the right they make Bush Cheney look like a bunch of liberals.

Keep bringing us the real news, CNN. At least you provide us with honest news reports.

January 8, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  18. ashok

Obama is a ctreation of CNN and Wolf Blitzer . He loves to bash her on every oppurtunity he gets and let the republicans bad-mouth her instead of forcing them to answer the tough questions. Wolf is very good in asking Soft questions to the Republicans and trying to creat negative pictures of Hilary.

Wolf leave her alone and she will do well . Your competition is with FOX network in bashing Hilary ?

January 8, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  19. Sabrina

Right on, both Pam and Pat . Lets all get the right information before vote.

January 8, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Lavenia

CNN:

Are any of you reading this blog? WE don't like the way you are covering; it is biased. You are obviously biased against Senator Clinton and the way you are covering this, it seems as if Senator Obama has won. Is someone paying you off??

I am very disappointed, I had a lot of respect for Wolf Blitzer, Lou Dobbs and others, but now I am feeling like watching another program. God knows where I will go to actually watch actual news, unbiased reporting... I don't think it exists anymore.

January 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  21. Karen, NYC

You Clinton FANS GOT to be kidding...

So you want CNN to only show Hillary in a good light even when there’s nothing good to report and attack the other candidates? Are you all living in that glass house with the Clintons or are you just sleeping at the door begging to get in?

THANK YOU CNN for reporting the news as it comes, GOOD or BAD! It's up to the Candidate to DO GOOD THINGS to make GOOD NEWS.

35 years of fluff = Hillary Clinton.

My Daddy is a Medical Surgeon and I worked in his office for 15 years, does that make me qualified to perform surgery because I saw him in the O.R.?

January 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  22. Mario

Hitlery anf her goons wish they could have these individual join in her camp, thank heavens they didn't.

Go Mitt!

January 8, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  23. james

Hillary plus bill equal sinking ship. Former president belongs in pages of history and has taken his wife's candidacy after him. Turn the page guys..it is over.

January 8, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  24. shirley.roybal,surprise,az.

THANK YOU BILL YOU DID THE RIGHT THING,MY VOTE IS FOR HILLARY , THIS COUNTRY NEEDS HER NOW,TOTAL DISASTER THATS WHERE OUR GREAT COUNTRY IS NO DOUBT IT WAS THE SAME VOTERS AS TODAY ,THEY DONT GET IT ,THE ECONOMY ,THE DEBT WERE IN, THE BLOODSHED LIKE NEVER BEFORE .ITS HILLARY OR NO VOTE .IN FACT IM NOT WATCHING CNN THEY HAVE ALL SHOWN THE FEAR OF A WOMAN PRESIDENT,ITS CALLED NO CLASS GUYS.LETS GET OUR ACT TOGETHER REASEARCH AND MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE ,IT DOESNT TAKE AN EINSTEIN TO FIGURE IT OUT.WE DONT NEED ANOTHER UNQUALIFIED LEADER WHEN WERE AT SUCH A HISTORIC LOW,MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE ,HILLARY.

January 8, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. fulani

Thank you Karen NYC...

Most of these Clinton supporters keep repeating 'experience, experience!'.... When some one aske HRC what to do about Iraq... I believe her answer was 'I will get the Joint Chiefs, Security adviser... together and make a decision'! duh!

Obama can do the same!

We need real change! I will support Obama or Mccain...In a face off I will go for Obama!...Youth..

January 8, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |