January 8th, 2008

2. The war in Iraq
3. Terrorism
4. Illegal immigration

Source: CNN Exit Poll preliminary results

Filed under: Exit Polls • New Hampshire
  1. Jayneg

I am insulted people would think Hillary would get my vote just because I am also a women. There's nothing more attractive then a man who adored his mother, and loves his strong wife

January 8, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  2. Chris, Orlando FL

Obama is an idiot. Everything that comes out of his mouth, is worthless rhetoric. What has he really done that gives him any prerequisite to be President of the United States? Absolutely nothing! Shame on him for brainwashing those impressionable, naive voters in Iowa and New Hampshire.

January 8, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. The Kid

Mike Huckabee is a bigot. I will never vote for the man.

January 8, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. jukin

Calling Hillary the smartest woman in the world is an insult to over 50% of the women in the world. Those women would be able to pass the WDC bar exam.

January 8, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Mackenzie

is no one getting this? Obama and Edwards are working together, thats going to be the ticket. Obama sits on the sidelines while Edwards acts like his attack dog! The republicans could beat this ticket, look at there voting record and get a grip people! The right wing media are pumping Obama only to drag him down and get there guys back in!

January 8, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Rappin Griz-Montana

Obama say, “Some kind of change, I’m gonna make
    I don’t have to need the experience it’ll take.
    If it’s change you want I’ll be your man
    Tell you the truth I don’t need a plan
    I’m not gonna feel the stress
    If my change creates a mess
    This election is no sweat for me
    All have to do is say “change” you see.

January 8, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. Dan Yates

Richard Kallao

"think Hillary would make a fine President , not only is she
    is pretty , she's got experience backing her up, her husband ."

Richard....I agree with half of that

January 8, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. Tex

Is there a reason why the Republicans have 4 top issues and the dems 3? Is it because the media needs to make sure "Illegal Immigration" is on the list somewhere?

January 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. Seth

Someone said "I do not see how people think Obama can be president with no experience. I do not believe America can withstand a president who thinks with a few months in the Senate he is ready to take on the world. "
    ...Ummmm, how long has Hillary been in the the senate? Also, Obama was in the State senate for years before the US senate... what was HC doing again?

What will HC do today (act tough -check; throw mud-check; cry-check; insinuate assasination of black people as a reason to vote for her-check; Use further fear mongering (terrorism) as a vote for her-check). Is she insisting that she would be tougher on terrorsim than Obama? On what basis, b/c she sponsored the Invasion of Iraq? really? Really? Any of you falling for all this or are you just supporting her for the Return of the King?

January 8, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

Mitt Romney keeps talking about stronger families, but I haven't heard anything about how he intends to make that happen. What does he think he could do to implement that?

January 8, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  11. Heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I can't believe you guys are still talking about Obama being a Muslim. He was not raised as a Muslim. His father was raised as a Muslim, but was not a practicing one during the 2 years he spent with Barack. My mother was a Catholic, but that does not make me one. He went to a state school for a couple of years when he was in Indonesia which is a Muslim country, but he also went to a Catholic school for part of that time. You betray your ignorance and that you are a person who falls for anything they hear when you make these unfounded comments. Do some investigation. At the very least go look at the fact checking websites to find out if something is true before you spread it around. It is pretty easy to find out if something said about a candidate is true if you care enough to look.

January 8, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  12. TBerry

I live in Texas.
    I'm blue collar and illigal immagration isn't even in my top four issues.
    Why do people in NH think this is such an issue for them?!

January 8, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. Mona

"How many people does this poll represent?
    Why aren't independents represented in this poll?"

The poll taker was standing at the exit from the town hall and gave the survey to any exiting voter who was willing to fill it out.

To vote in the NH primary, you need to declare one party or the other to get a ballot. You tell the volunteers which ballot you want and they mark you for that party on the voter registration list and give you the ballot. After you vote, you can fill out a change form to go back to undeclared status. So essentially, there are no independents voting.

January 8, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  14. Anon

Hillary Clinton is the best candidate to turn around our sagging economy. I hope that like her husband Bill Clinton, will give us another TRILLION DOLLAR SURPLUS and another President who will be able to balanced the budget.

The war in Iraq. The present administration's intelligence was flawed. They did not verify if the information that was provided by their informant if it was credible. They were at fault and should take that responsibility. We can't turn back time we can only look ahead and think of the safefty of our troops and civilians.

Edwards, Guilliani, Obama are inexperience candidate. With our present situation right now (domestic and international), we need a President who has experience to lead our country.

Don't vote for inexperience candidates we got one sitting now for 2 terms already.

January 8, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. mike

I agree, I want to get behind Obama, but he really doesn't say anything to distinguish himself from, say, Edwards. Couple that with his limited politics and I am afraid we would send this guy out there to get beat. I also love how Republicans, like Romney, has really convinced people that families are under attack. From what, the terrorists or the economy? Maybe I am selfish and naive, but I worry more about my job!

January 8, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Jay Graham, Dallas, TX

The pollsters who conduct these surveys should also ask whether you would consider "experience" against "hope" to vote for a candidate. If you weigh how much knowledge and experience each candidate has on each of the important issues, Hillary is a clear winner. Whereas on the speech delivery on these issues, Obama has a plus point. Americans have to decide whether they need an experienced person or a good talker.

January 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. Matt

The promise "change" means nothing to the person who goes to bed on the Jan 19, 2009 as one of 47 million uninsured Americans to only wake up on Jan 20, 2009 to be one of the 15 million Americans who is still uninsured. Romney and Obama the "Real" agents of "Change". Ha!!

January 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. Charles, MT

"I would sure like to see the Democrats pay a bit more attention to our boarders."

No kidding. I'm tired of seeing them let all these people who can't properly use our American language cross our "boarders."

January 8, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  19. mike williquette

Have we all forgotten what the bush/rove power machine did while in office and don't forget that the very republicans running for the office of the precidency right now supported them by vertue of thier party affiliation.
    In the fall of 2002 bush got on airforce one and scowered the country looking for votes for his republican congrees/senate. this whole campaign was paid for by the pharmisutical companies in this country. once he got them elected he made it illegal to sue a pharmisutical company. then he made it illegal to buy drugs in canada telling us that he was protecting us from bad drugs. when local states bought the drugs any how the bush power machine backed off and said it was okay to buy drugs in canada. did we all forget the financial impact that his actions had on the elderly of this country. did we all forget what the intent of his actions were and guess what, the republican party supported his actions. how can any one in thier right mind vote for these people. they make me sick to my stumick. now lets get to the war. oh my god! can any one immagine that bush would have gotten even one vote had any of us known what he was going to do after 911.This trigger happy idiot now wants to attack Iran. When is this country get it right. Stop the politics. when a rogue president acts like this impeach the bastard. this is suppose to be the home of the free and the brave not the scared and intimidated.

January 8, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. Cali

Californians will be supporting Edwards unless Gore jumps in at the last minute. But the entire field of Dems and Repubs looks bad. No stellar or even mediocre candidates to be found.

I’ve always been in favor of California seceding. What do Californians have in common with Washington, or any other part of the country? Nothing, except the rest of the US enjoys our tax dollars.

*************************************************
    Schwarzenegger for President of California!
    *************************************************

January 8, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  21. Anne, San Diego, CA

I assume this was a multiple choice exit poll, rather than free response. Both the situation in Iraq and the immigration situation are part of our overall economic situation. The cost of the war (financial, human and moral) will be with us for a long time as we pay it off and the country critically needs intelligent, controlled immigration for the economy to grow.

Sadly, I haven't seen much leadership from either party that even shows an understanding of the intertwining of these issues, just a lot of emotional rhetoric.

January 8, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  22. Jeff

Why would anyone vote for a candidate with less than 8 years of political experience?......hell, it takes at least 2-3 years in office to just learn the ropes and start to make alliances with your fellow legislators.
    How much experience does hillary, obama, edwards, thompson, huckabee and romney have?.......Add it up, and i think you'll find the total to be in the general area of Ron Paul's years in Congress.
    Do any of the above politicians have his steadfast, consistent record in there short terms as a professional politician?
    Will any of the above risk their parties backing and their fellow legislators ire because its the right thing to do? You know he will!
    DO NOT LET THIS ELECTION BE WON OVER BY SLICK "LIP SERVICE" and "CATCHY PHRASES"
    Want changes.....get up some nerve and vote for the straight shooter..........................RON PAUL

January 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  23. carl

That's all we here is clinton this , obama that, it would be funny to see edwards takes N.H.

January 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Adam, Virginia

Michelle,

The rumor about Obama swearing-in to the Senate with the Koran is absolutely false, and a vicious and frankly racist/Islamophobic lie at that. Obama, as everyone has pointed out here, is a Christian. He attends the Unitarian Church in Chicago with his family.

As for the hand-over-the-heart "crisis," Obama places his hand on his heart like every other American for the raising of the American Flag and for the Pledge of Allegiance. There is no protocol for the National Anthem, and, while many Americans tend to place their hands over their hearts for the song, it is not "required."

Obama's campaign also quickly clarified after the ensuing media brouhaha that the senator does, in fact, usually place his hand over his heart for the anthem. I, as a regular voter, cannot answer for this one particular case.

I support Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, I am a lifelong and highly patriotic moderate Democrat, and I am Jewish. I do not see why Christianity should be a consideration in voting for elected officials, and I find the heart-cover controversy, widely disseminated by Republican operatives, to fly in the face of the conservative establishment's own complaints of over-the-top political correctness.

Though I view Sen. Obama as my second choice, I hope that voters support Sen. Clinton or any other candidate because of their competence and leadership, not because of knee-jerk nativist fears. That it why I find it necessary to clarify these misconception about Sen. Obama, whom I feel is an honest and respectable leader.

January 8, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  25. LB

seth~ i completely agree. also, many people are only voting for hilary because of her being a female or because of her husband.

they dont really want her.

obama '08!