January 8th, 2008

Edwards: Obama will come under scrutiny

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Edwards discuss Obama Tuesday

(CNN) - Democrat John Edwards told CNN Tuesday that rival Barack Obama is likely to come under heavier scrutiny now that he appears to be the frontunner for the Democratic nomination.

"He's newer to this than I am, or Sen. Clinton," Edwards told CNN's Jessica Yellin at a Manchester polling station. "I've been through a national campaign. I've been vetted by a national campaign. And Sen. Obama is newer. I think he's going to be tested. And we'll see what happens."

Edwards is set to hit several events in Manchester as Granite State voters head to the polls. The latest polls indicate Edwards is in a distant third behind Obama and Clinton in the state, though the former North Carolina senator pledged in the interview to keep his campaign going through the convention no matter what the result.

"This is not about me, I've mentioned me being the underdog candidate. But I am nothing compared to the underdog that's the middle-class and low income families in this country," he said.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Marie

I have been convinced for months that Edwards is the only real choice - if you look at his platform, he has put a lot of thought into his positions. He also speaks out the loudest for his desire to serve the middle and lower classes - the backbone of this country.

Yes we need change in this country - first and foremost we need an administration who doesn't look on the American public with contempt. We need a president that remembers every citizen in this country deserves his respect and his consideration. Being President is a tough job and no president can please everybody - but he (or she) MUST behave in the best interests of the American people as a whole first and foremost.

Edwards is the best person for that job.

January 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I agreee with Phil from TN , Obama's track record is small. The fact that he promotes change , but casted a present vote in many instances , makes me think he cannpt make a decision that promotes change. He delivers a great speach , but he doesn 't write them. Edwards to me seems like he is a yes man. He talks a lot of words, yet he looks as if he is hiding something. Hilary looks better for the dems. However if you want a person who seems like they are what they claim, I say look at Ron Paul. He is the guy who would change our country!

January 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Dan- Austin,TX

January 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Anonymous

We are in danger of recycling the old ideas from the same old leaders if we go for these Clinton guys. Let us move on as a nation and inject some new fresh blood into the leadership. This Obama seems to be the perfect candidate of all the candidates out there

Ed Indiana

January 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  5. Lang

I don't understand why call Obama the frontrunner, solely based on the result of Iowa caucus. First of all, Iowa is just one state, which happens to be the first state to run the primary. People in Iowa are entitled to their opinions about the candidates and so are people in other states. Secondly, the rule of democratic caucus, as I know, is not winner takes all delegates. It is based on percentage. So even Obama wins more delegates in Iowa, it is not really such a big victory. According to CNN scorecard, Obama won 18 delegates in Iowa and Clinton won 16. The 2 delegate difference is so small, not to mention that Clinton has won more superdelegates so far. If we add the superdelegates, the total number of delegates that support Clinton vs. Obama is 169 vs 66 today

January 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. George Welch

Edwards has done more to damage the healthcare system in this country than anyone. He professes to look out for the poor, downtrodden in this nation, while his personal fortune has been made by exploiting these very people. The theatrics he employed in convincing jurys to soak the "big guys" over births supposedly botched for lack of a cesarean section have resulted in a rash of health threatening, unnecessary cesarean sections being performed at the risk of the womans health. He and the other trial lawyers are the only ones to benefit from this. The rest of us can suffer higher healthcare costs. The man has no humility, and certainly is not presidential material.

January 8, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. MJ North Mississippi

Obama is clearly hiding something from the American people. Also he has a
    habit of saying I constantly, likie he is trying to convince everyone that he is great

January 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  8. Bukky, Balt MD

OK people stop the hate. I AM NOT A HILLARY supporter. I support Obama but if he should happen to not WIN the nomination I will vote for ANY ANY ANY ABSOLUTELY ANY other democrat. Hillary is not my first choice, neither is Edwards, but I will vote for any democrat just to keep the presidency from a republican. ANY democrat running would be better than ANY republican running.

So stop the hate people. Vote for your first choice in the primaries and if they dont win the nomination put on your big girl panties or big boy boxer briefs and vote for the nominated democrat. The ultimante goal is not get Bush and his republican cronies out.

January 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. Chad, IN

Obama makes all these grand speaches about change, but so what...Bush II made all sorts of speaches about being a uniter not a divider. Talk is cheap. Especially, clouded as it by the hype machine which has decided Obama is the thing. Just examine his experience and his voting record and the truth is fairly evident..

If America wants any chance whatsoever of breaking free of this hole the Bush Regime has been digging for us, it needs to wake up and look beyond the dog and pony show and see that the only real candidate with an ounce of conviction is Edwards.

January 8, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Paul Williamson

Obama is a Charlatan and a fake, and will be found out as soon as the media stops its love-in with him and really digs into his background – what drugs did he use? did he deal? is he a coke-head? is he a closet Muslim who became a "Christian" for the sake of politics? what was his role in corrupt Chicago politics? the man is a liar and a pretender, and the press is so eager for news that it is giving him a pass-but you know the Republicans will not be generous in the general election He gets cross-over Republican votes for only one reason-he will be the easiest candidate to beat in November.

January 8, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Susan Keller, TX

There is no way I can vote for Obama. He is too green and unqualified. The last time we out a president in office who was uinqualified, without an ounce of foreign policy experience we got Iraq. The endless, mindless war that has cost 2 tril;lion dollars, over 3000 American lives, and untold numbers of innocent Iraqi lives. Not thanks to that. I believe Clinton is most qualified. She is my first choice. Edwards is my second.

January 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Georgia Independent

For all those that questions Senator Obama experience and lifelong work please do your research; you will see that this man has been fighting for average folks all his life. Even though he could have gone on to lucrative positions in corporate Ameraca he chose instead to fight for the little guys and gals. ChecK his records in the state legislature, look at the issues he has dealt with in his short time in the senate, look at the work he has done out of college and after law school. You will see that this man has been fighting for change and has plenty sunstance to back up his rhetoric. Please be informed before you go throwing around baseless claims. If you don't like him thats fine. But please do not drag his accomplishments in the mud. It is folks like you who like politics as usual. If thats what you want thats what you get. For those that want change, for those that have hope for a better America dn world, for those who are inspired to believe again, you have to continue to have a healthy disregard for the impossible. That is how change happens. You first have to believe......... I love America and all that this great country stands for. At the end of the day this country is only as great as the people who inhabit it. This country will only be as great as the hopes and dreams of ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Any individual can step forward and be park of this movement. You have to step up , get involved, and stay inspired. Please do not sit on the sidelines America. Wake up! Stand up! and Step up!

January 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. steven pentecost

;

Edwards' successes as a highly accomplished attorney, his honesty, quick on his feet ability to respond to hard put questioning concerning war.taxation,health care for America and its citizens, foreign policy based on truth, willingness to challenge the trusts and monopolies frightens those entities who so dominate our day to day lives gives reason to pause and think of anyone who's come down the pike with the savvy and guts to speak truth to power . He's our best choice to right our listing ship of state. VOTE EDWARDS!

January 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. jsamuel

Edwards clearly said Obama would be "tested", not "come under scrutiny."

January 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Anonymous

If we are in this much trouble in this country with experienced politicians, I definately want someone new, even though the person may not have many yrs of experience. From my point of view, on fixed income, a disabled vet, we can't lose by putting someone new in. Go Obama

January 8, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Tony, Wilton, ME

People who parrot the Clinton and soon to be Republican line about Obama's lack of experience forget another politician from Illinois who led this country through its darkest hour. I'm not suggesting Obama is Lincoln – we don't know that yet. I am saying the inexperience card is disingenuous at best.

January 8, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. CC

I don't believe that Obama has the experience to run this country. He does give a good speech but we need someone with experience to fix all the problems created by the present administration. I think Hillary is the only candidate who has the experience to make the hard decisions. Bill is also an asset as he could be an ambassador and get restore the way the rest of the world views this country.

January 8, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Sabrina

I wonder how many of you really read as much on the candidates as you suggest. Have you all decided what issues are the most important to you and where the candidates stand?? You have to be careful what you read in these blogs.

January 8, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. Gerri Turnbull

In the beginning, I liked Obama but there is something about him that is not quite honest – I don't believe he is as sincere as he pretends to be. Hillary is honest, wiser and a much stronger person than he will ever be. If women don't vote for her they are either extremely insecure or didn't "stand by their man." I trust her.
    I've never been able to say that about any politician.

January 8, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Dave

I thing the person from Chapel Hill is wrong about Edwards. (You must be a Bible-Thumping Republican in disquise) Hillary is wonderful, but change with her is always full of compromise with the Republicans, Obama is just
    plain not ready...Talks well, but says nothing and has no real experience. He needs to wait his turn. Edwards is the candidate of change. He walks the walk and talks the talk. He's experienced, but not so experienced he can't facilitate
    change. He takes no money from corporations and was raised by people just like you and I. Give him the chance!

January 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. The Cranky Liberal

Susan, let me remind you that the time before that we got a guy from Arkansas who seemed to do pretty good even if he lacked FP experience. If you want to recapture the Clinton mystique, it's not Hillary who has it, it's Obama.

January 8, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Sue

Thank you Mr Edwards for having the balls to talk about what most rich connected experienced politicians won't. I appreciate you standing up to your fellow politicians on health care (saying they shouldn't get free health care if they won't grant it to their fellow Americans), standing up to lobbyists trying to force agendas good for the bottom line of corporations willing to outsource American jobs so their CEOs can 'earn' millions in bonuses, and for being willing to close tax loopholes that benefit the ultra rich at the expense of working class America. For those of you supporting Clinton, her 'experience' is knowing how to take lobbyist money and keep the shafting of middle class America going like business as usual.
    Edwards understands Plutarch's assertion "An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics."
    Edwards/Obama '08!

January 8, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Obamini

Bill Clinton lied under oath to cover a stained skirt .

Great President you got there.
    Politics is always dirty but you Americans have to get rid of the Party behind the worst president you ever had. Impeach Bush !

January 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  24. Tara B

Barack Obama is the BEST man for the job, if we keep doing the same ol' thing with the same ol' people we will continue to get the same ol' results. Yes I agree his record is small but at least he doen't come with a shaded past. He's fresh, refreshing and he is what our country needs to move forward. No matter what anyone says if we put him in the White House our country will be in a much better place than it is now and how others may think it will be with the other candidates. I believe we have seen the real Barack...he's geniune, heartfelt and he gets thru to the people both young and old alike. Our country doesn't need to take steps backwards we need to come together and go forward. if everyone wants change and wants the US to become 1 again....then you better cast your vote for the best person that can take us there and that is BARACK OBAMA!

January 8, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  25. Aaron

The thing is, all three Dems have positive and negative aspects to their individual campaigns. Whomever wins the Democratic ticket, is who I will vote for. I have my personal preference but I can't say anyone of them would do a terrible job.

What I am fearful of though is that the Republicans will sneak a win in this year due to one simple thing. They have Ron Paul on their side.

Let me explain, he's a Republican yet is running as an independent, with various stated positions that appeal to a lot of Democratic voters. Ron Paul has no chance of winning this presidential election. None. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but he will not win and I'd be willing to lay my house on that. What he will do is draw a good number of Democratic votes away, thereby lowering the chances that the Democratic party will win.

I don't think I can take another Republican Administration after the last eight years.

January 8, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |