January 8th, 2008

Edwards: Obama will come under scrutiny

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Edwards discuss Obama Tuesday

(CNN) - Democrat John Edwards told CNN Tuesday that rival Barack Obama is likely to come under heavier scrutiny now that he appears to be the frontunner for the Democratic nomination.

"He's newer to this than I am, or Sen. Clinton," Edwards told CNN's Jessica Yellin at a Manchester polling station. "I've been through a national campaign. I've been vetted by a national campaign. And Sen. Obama is newer. I think he's going to be tested. And we'll see what happens."

Edwards is set to hit several events in Manchester as Granite State voters head to the polls. The latest polls indicate Edwards is in a distant third behind Obama and Clinton in the state, though the former North Carolina senator pledged in the interview to keep his campaign going through the convention no matter what the result.

"This is not about me, I've mentioned me being the underdog candidate. But I am nothing compared to the underdog that's the middle-class and low income families in this country," he said.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Anne

Dear Cranky Liberal....the guy from Arkansas had all that it takes to be President and the world was a much different place then. Obama only has great communication skills but lacks experience. Sorta like Oprahs new movie....The Great Debaters – timely release one might say.

Obama comparing himself to Kennedy, MLK and quoting Clinton – I think he has an identity crises going on.....and he is no Kennedy! Quoting someone from 14 years ago as if applies today is just pure folly. He isn't any of the above people, although with his ability to talk – wow – bet he would make a great preacher if her were Muslim.

I read the people in his familys home town are praying for his victory. Hummmmm.

January 8, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Lev Klinemann, Redondo Beach CA

Edwards 08, that's how I'm voting...
    ...but John, I know the politics of personal destruction used to work, but people are sick of it, look at how fast Hillary's campaign is spinning out of control, because her people jus don't get it...

THIS IS NOT A USUAL CAMPAIGN, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY PAYING ATTENTION THIS TIME, JUST SPEAK WE'LL HEAR YOU

January 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. Obamini

One more thing.
    A President needs only common good sense and honor to serve the Nation.

The important topics and decisions most come from the the experienced persons he choses to form his Cabinet.

January 8, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. America Rising

Georgia Independent: I've done my research on Obama and have discovered among other things that he is not only stealing from Senator Edwards (See The Boston Globe & L.A. Times articles just to name a couple.) but he has failed to adequately represent his own constituents as he has been absent more than he has been present. Mr. Obama needs to be vetted badly as he has received a free pass thus far in a national election. He has been the media darling long enough and now it's time to get down the facts.

I support John Edwards because he not only has a vision for America but he has solid, achievable plans to return this country to its citizens. He is already prepared to do what he promises. He has passion for his cause – the American people. He is willing to discuss the details of his platform. He has more than 30 respected economists that back his plans as being sound, which I would rather see than a hundred Oprahs. I don't need a president to the stars and the extremely wealthy, I need a politician for my fellow man and me. I don't need a politician who can talk the talk, I need a leader who will walk the walk!

I believe John Edwards is the one candidate who will restore our country to its greatness and dignity; I have faith that he will make a positive difference, not just any difference or change but a positive one.

Vote Edwards '08

January 8, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Jack K.

Not to worry folks.
    Edwards is right. If Obama wins NH...there will be a lot more intense Q/A about his absence in the Senate from controversial votes–then derides his colleagues for using their own best judgement to support our troops who are already engaged with the enemy (remember–we still have a war–and President Veto--I mean Bush).

As Americans begin to see what a weenie he is on commiting resources for our troops; and how slow to act he is when our nation me be in danger (weapons of mass destruction report-Iraq), they may think twice about putting him in as Commander-In-Chief.

His naive comments about visiting our foreign enemies (Korea, Iran, Osam Bin Laden, etc) and negotiating directly–shows he doesn't fully understand the use of all instruments of power in foreign policy.

Clearly, thinking Americans will truly take a second look and realize it's all hype and glitz–no substance. Even his CHANGE initiative was hijacked from the John Edwards platform!!!

I think when all is said and done–and if John Edwards can keep the funds coming from his grassroots donors–Obama will be history.

John Edwards-2008

January 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Nathan, Melbourne, Victoria

When Obama gets the nomination I hope he will achieve for the Democrats. Given that he doesn't care about balancing the budget, securing the border and achieving Universal Health Care, I don't see why Dems are so enthused. It's another Jimmy Carter....God help us.

January 8, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. Geri Sacramento

I hope that the scrutiny will include uncovering Obama's shady dealings in Illinois and his avoidance of taking a stand on tough issues. I want him to have to put his money where his big mouth is. Tell us EXACTLY where he stands on the immigration crisis in our country and EXACTLY how he plans to correct it. Explain truthfully and EXACTLY how his health care plan will work and let us understand EXACTLY how 15 million Americans won't qualify for health care. He needs to be held accountable for his double-speak: condemning those who accept money from lobbyists while he, himself, has taken tons of money from lobbyists and big corporations (Exelon comes to mind first), why he says he was against the Iraq war (even though he could not vote at the time so we just have his word for it) but has continued to vote for 300 billion dollars to continue funding it, EXACTLY how (and when) he will bring our military home from Iraq in a timely manner and without increased bloodshed against those Iraqis who have sided and worked for the U.S., EXACTLY what he will do about unemployment and to strengthen the dollar and our economy.

January 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Susan

All three Democratic candidates are smart, capable, leadership ability and views on the major issues I support? Choosing between them is difficult. Isn't the important issue, however, which of these candidates is most likely to defeat a Republican in the general election? We can't afford another Republican in office.

January 8, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. dibmita

John Edwards was elected by the State of North Carolina, and he has used that state to get into the presidential race! Shame on him for not doing anything for his state. He uses the state only to show his lower middle class upbringing, forgetting to tell us how he is living now! He has never done anything for the people who elected him and he will not do anything if he is elected to the presidency either. No wonder North Carolinians hate him.

January 8, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. candice hudson

Obama is a big mistake for Democrats he isnt ready for a national election.
    Democrats stop thinking with your hearts and use your brain!! Go Hillary!!

January 8, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. ross berg

We Republicans need to nominate VP Cheney–then we can give the Dems a real trouncing!!!

January 8, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Intelligent discussion & debate is the corner-stone of our great democracy...but let's be realistic for a minute: We live in a dangerous world – and each day that passes doesn't make it more secure just because we want it to be. The person who holds the highest office in the nation (and Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces) must have superior decision-making skills, Iron-willed, AND have the experience necessary to earn the respect of the world; whether friend or foe. I agree w/ the contributor from MD above: ANY Democrat would be a vast improvement over what we currently have in office, however, we are kidding ourselves if we think any of the Dems are that much different than the Reps. Both Sen Obama & Sen Clinton would probably fair well in the opening days of their presidency...but ultimately, "wisdom & experience" are 2 of the most important traits any leader should have. In that regard, I'd say Hillary has the advantage – even though I truly LIKE Sen Obama. I just can't trust my children's future to him...

January 8, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. anon

The Republicans could not beat Hillary in the general election.

January 8, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Jack K.

Good sense and honor are very important–but not all that is required.

When the President negotiates with foreign leaders–he doesn't bring along EF Hutton, nor his cabinet or department directors–its just the President and the other guy. The President must be able to demonstrate a strong personal persence–and resolve.
    The President must be brave and courageous. He will be the leader of the most powerful military machine on the planet–and responsible for executing the decision to use him if required to protect the nation and our nationalist interests.
    He must be loyal to the nation, the institutions, and the people of the United States.
    He must swear on the bible an oath to support the constitution–and pledge his allegiance to the flag.

He must know how to put his hand over his heart and know how to salute.

January 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Leslie

Go John!

January 8, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Brandon

I have to wonder at those who say any democrat is better than a republican. Quite frankly the world is a mess, the situation in the middle east (Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan), economy at home, housing market, environmental issues, etc. I must say that I find what Obama says is appealing, hopeful, and idealistic. If perhaps I were still in college and in that phase of my life I would support him, but I have been in the real world for a few years and understand that speeches and hope while wonderful do not translate into reality. I want a president who has the ability to navigate the troubles facing this country. I want a president who can restore the greatness of this country. It is for these reasons that I will support Clinton. If however, Obama does get the democratic nomination, I may be supporting a republican in the next election. I simply wonder if Obama has the experience or the capability to do what he says.

January 8, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Tim

I have to say of the candidates on the Democratic side I would have no problem voting for Edwards or Clinton. Obama I am not yet convinced he is the man to lead us through this tough point in time. Sure as a previous poster has stated he may have done things in the state legislature and so on, but is he prepared to be the Commander-in-Chief? There are some who are better suited to be second in command or part of a team rather than be the head of the team. I am not sure Obama is the one I want to have final say. Will the "Buck stop here" if he is the President? He needs to prove it. And that would only come from time doing more than what he has so far. So yes he is "NEW" but with "NEW" comes the fact that he is also "GREEN". Seriously, he hasn't even finished his first term in the Senate. Has he flip-flopped on anything? Well how can we know if he will he hasn't been given enough time. Come on Barak at least complete 1 term as Senator and maybe even a second so we can see who you really are and see if you really are qualified to be the Commander-in-Chief.

January 8, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. Eric

America Rising, lets join together and get Edwards elected to office!

January 8, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. DGB

I think that we all as Americans need to take the time to allow the glorious process of choosing our next president unfold as clearly and objectively as possible. The personal attacks are ignorant, the assumptions that Obama "could be Muslin" because of his name are ignorant and racist at best. The assumption that Hillary would not be a good President because she is a woman is ignorant as well as is the assumption that a 6 year Senator is more qualified because she was the First Lady for 8 years. Prove the rest of the world wrong and READ and conduct constructive research on Obama, Clinton and Edwards and become an informed participant in the Election process and not just another "Monday Morning Quarterback" with PERSONAL insights and observations that have NOTHING to do with who would be the BEST person at balancing the budget, reducing poverty, making America save again and helping to restore the integrity and glory that this nation was built upon.

January 8, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. Ron

Im 47 and from Wisconsin Been Married 28 years and raised 3 kids and am a hard working Painter for 30 years now. I served in the army and love our great country and Has been all over the country.And all common sense tells me to vote for the most experienced one whos gona fix the most serious problems we face today .and with Gods Speed and that would be Bill and Hillary Clinton. And you as a voter ,That is if you know the history here in this country .Well Know what a good job and made lots of jobs I might add,They did for us and our great country.Out of all the other canidates they are the most and best choice we got and if you dont take it God Help Us All!

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Eric

DGB,

Edwards is the best man for the job. He gives us the best shot to beat all Republicans. That is the main goal anyway.

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. CINERO, DALLAS, TX

WE NEED A LEADER IN THIS COUNTRY THAT WILL MAKE REMARKABLE CHANGES. WHO DO YOU GUYS THINK WILL MAKE THAT CHANGE WITHOUT TRYING TO APPEAL TO THE ELITE CLASS OF AMERICA, BECAUSE THE ELITE ACTUALLY RUN ANY DEMOCRACY IN THE WORLD. WHY WAS THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION DIFFERENT FROM THE BUSHES ? AMERICA NEEDS A LEADER THAT WILL UNITE EVERYONE. WE DO NOT NEED TO JUDGE OUR LEADER BY RACE AS LONG AS WE CHOOSE THE RIGHT LEADER. OBAMA IS THE MAN !!
    GIVE HIM 4 YRS AND YOU WILL CHERISH THE RESULT OF POSITIVE CHANGE.
    THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE WON' T WANT TO ELECT HIM AT THE END IS BECAUSE HE'S BLACK. IN THE HEARTS OF MANY, THEY ARE NOT READY FOR A BLACK MAN IN THE OVAL OFFICE NEITHER DO THEY WANT TO REFER TO OUR PRESIDENT AS "MRS" PRESIDENT. WE NEED THE RIGHT PRESIDENT WHEN ITS ALL OVER.

January 8, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. deshawn

I know one thing...WHO VOTED FOR BUSH? NOW you want to complain. HE was a MESS in the first place. African American's knew that but ohhhhhhh no you all voted his dumb self in. Now, whoever gets in office is gonna have a hell of a way to go. NO MATTER WHO! Now we are debating who has the most experiance.....didn't you all argue BUSH was the most qualified to take office.....FOR TWO TERMS.TWO TERMS!!!!!!!!THE country is a MESS unless your RICH and now I look at all the homes for SALE and the I have lost about 2,000 on my stock and students are in student loan debt and all of sudden qualification is the issue.....BUSH was horrible even in TEXAS! We need to stop arguing using this liberal and that republican and all of that ..I"m young and I don't want to hear it! I'm tired of you old people arguing back and forth ...obviously we have to be vocal about soemthing new because it looks like I'm paying social security for nothing....I won't get it....YOU WILL.YEs, I'm a Democrate but I'm and american first. WE are ALL in this .....PERIOD and when it is all said and done we young people want CHANGE WHOEVER!

January 8, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Dan

Anne,

Its hard to comprehend the partial information and half truths in your posts. You must be well versed in Clintonian politics. Obama "lacks experience" is a talking point with little substance. Ms. Clinton has tried to claim responsibility for her husband's presidency and that has failed. The dems with the most foreign policy experience were Biden and Richardson and we see where they're going.

Ms. Clinton criticized the message of hope and Obama merely asked where we would be if JKF or MLK said "its not realistic to think we can go to the moon or achieve civil rights." Although it is fair to say, at least early on, Obama has orated and inspiried crowds in a way not seen since JFK and MLK.

Finally, Obama's paternal grandmother, who he met for the first time after graduating college, is praying for his success. I don't see that different than any other grandmother anywhere around the world. Biggotry alone asks what her religion is.

January 8, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Robert Pearce

Am I way out in left field?
    If John Edwards were able to get the PAC's and lobbiests out of congress, would he be able to get any thing else done?
    Wouldn't he alienate congress by removing all their perks?
    Change is good. Common sense is better.

January 8, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |