January 8th, 2008

Edwards: Obama will come under scrutiny

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Edwards discuss Obama Tuesday

(CNN) - Democrat John Edwards told CNN Tuesday that rival Barack Obama is likely to come under heavier scrutiny now that he appears to be the frontunner for the Democratic nomination.

"He's newer to this than I am, or Sen. Clinton," Edwards told CNN's Jessica Yellin at a Manchester polling station. "I've been through a national campaign. I've been vetted by a national campaign. And Sen. Obama is newer. I think he's going to be tested. And we'll see what happens."

Edwards is set to hit several events in Manchester as Granite State voters head to the polls. The latest polls indicate Edwards is in a distant third behind Obama and Clinton in the state, though the former North Carolina senator pledged in the interview to keep his campaign going through the convention no matter what the result.

"This is not about me, I've mentioned me being the underdog candidate. But I am nothing compared to the underdog that's the middle-class and low income families in this country," he said.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Lev Klinemann, Redondo Beach CA

Ross Berg,

I'm sure that 18% approval rating Cheney has would just sweep the US people off their feet.

...and when the voter turnout is this high, YOU CAN'T STEAL THE ELECTION.

Oh, Cheney's approval just dropped another point he's at 17% now.

January 8, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Christian, Tampa FL

Well, at least Edwards says "We'll see what happens" instead of saying "Obama has no experience! Obama's a jerk! He hurt my feelings!"

January 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Cynthia Benton

First, i didn't to much care for any of the presidential hopeful. I did feel that if I had to vote for anyone b4 the last presidential debate, I would have voted for Edwards. That changed when he lied about the "patients bill of rights" I thought that was a bill that he actually passed, until Hillary set the record straight, stating that the house killed the bill. So, I'm still undecided, Obama speaks on the issue's that are of concern to me, but who is he, can he change his words into actions. Hillary, no comment.

January 8, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. deshawn

Sorry! I don't check my spelling ....lol I was pissed...I'm tired of you all.....40 and up are working my nerves.

January 8, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Jack K.

NO–for me it's not right just to elect somebody because the polls say they may beat a Republican.

As a Democrat–I will vote for the best Democrat. But I'll be honest, if Hillary gets the nomination and is running against John McCain–I'll vote for McCain in the general election.

Voting for our leaders is too important to leave up to the people in NH or Iowa, or any other state.

Just because a person is registered a Republican or Democrat doesn't gaurantee they will check their brains at the door on election day.

If John Edwards is the DEM candidate–I will most definitely vote for him. If Obama is the candidate–I'm less likely.

But neither the Democractic Party nor the Republican Party owns my vote–it's mine.

January 8, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Andy

Obama's record in academia is more impressive than Hilary.
    His legal career was more impressive than Hilary.
    He earned his position in the the senate, he didnt go to New York like Hilary just to become a more powerful presidential candidate 6 years later.
    Hilary's biggest life accomplishment is being the first lady. She couldnt even control her home and her roaming husband yet she is trying to convince us she can control an entire country???
    I think the only logical choices for democrats are Obama and Edwards.
    Edwards lost as a vice presidential candidate four years ago and has been out of office since then... so what are the chances he could beat a McCain or Romney?

January 8, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Katherine

I think the only channel to watch on TV is c-span because no one talks but the candidates. I get so upset with the media's interpretation of an event and then people think just because the newsperson voiced it on television it is true! Let the people decide, not the media! You would think the election process was almost done.

January 8, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. Elizabeth

I'm not looking to vote for a good manager...A leader can hire managers. What we need in our country is a good LEADER. Right now our country is in an impossible quagmire, and we have neither a good leader nor manager. We need someone who can lead us out of it. That is going to involve coming up with a plan. People can put their heads together and come up with a plan. Or ask the managers to do that. What we need in the White House, tho, is a leader who can motivate and inspire people – lead the way, generate unity and support and get everyone involved. That is what Winston Churchill did during WWII. He himself had problems. But it was his spirit and ability to inspire courage in people that kept the British going and fighting during hellish times. Martin Luther King, Jr., same thing. He INSPIRED people. People overcame fear and did things they might not have done but for the encouragement of a great leader. He had a lot of folks behind the scenes who worked to make things happen. Especially women.

That is what I see in Barak Obama. The evidence is reflected in the great numbers of people that are coming out to support him. It is not because of his experience, but it is because he has the ability to motivate and get people behind him to make things happen. We desparately need that.

January 8, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. christina astorga

This is news! CNN's Jessica Yellin finally interviewing John Edwards! Over the past days, when she reports on the Democrats, she renders John Edwards totally invisible. For instance, when she reported on the Debate of the Democrats at NH, she only spoke about Obama and Clinton, totally oblivious of the fact that Edwards who was part of the debate did the finest performance, according to post-debate analysis.

Is there a systematic effort of CNN to push Edwards out of the race? Why are mainstream media like CNN determining who are the candidates to win in this race? They would do disservice to democracy when they who are supposed to be its guardians betray its fundamental rules of fairness and equality.

Yes, Obama will be subjected to close and harsh scrutiny now that he is the frontliner. Platitudes of hope without much hard content and substance could not stand the test.

January 8, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Anonymous

DBG- Well Said. Given the current state of affairs in this country and our relative position globally, I think we owe it to ourselves to be as objective and informed about the candidates as possible. To borrow a line from Obama – "this is a defining moment in our history", so before you cast your vote for anyone – Republican, Democrat, Independent, or somewhere in between – be sure you have conducted your own constructive research on all the candidates. Let the best man or wo-man win!

January 8, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  11. GM

Clinton's 20-plus years of being first lady does not equate into any kind of administrative or legislative experience. She looked around the country to find a state with enough fund raising potential and ran for Senator in New York as a carpetbagger. She's been running for president a lot longer than Obama.

She is a shrewed woman who knows how to play the victim. Her tearing up was as convenient as many of the other "new" aspects of her personality. When Obama talked of change, she became the change agent. When Edwards spoke Thursday night of his candidacy being personal, she comes out yesterday with an "it's personal" message ramped up by crocodile tears for the camera (shades of Pat Schroeder).

And Bil Clinton should quietly retreat into the background. The more he attacks Obama, the more it looks like he's running the show and his wife can't cut it on her own. We don't need four years of fending off new scandals (the library, Hu the fundraisier, Peter Paul, etc,). The country needs a deserves a break from the Clinotns.

Chelsea in 2032!

January 8, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. CSM

Obama talks about change, but what has he really said he is going to do to bring about change? Who is going to pave the golden road and at what cost? He is just too inexperienced to be president. A few more years under his belt and you bet I would vote for him. Think about it people – he lacks a lot of experience, especially when it comes to foreign policy. Our Country needs someone who is experienced with foreign policy matters, and the only person who can help us here is Hillary Clinton. She is what this Country needs to bring us back from the mess that Bush has gotten us into. Think people – Obama is not your answer for change. Vote for Hillary.

January 8, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. Matt Williams

Most Americans are too ignorant to do their own research and instead all too often rely on the opinions and statements of others. Here's an interesting concept...how about read both of Obama's books and his website before formulating an opinion and spreading lies and propraganda about him!

That's the problem with this country as is, to fearful to get out of it's own way.

The reality is Obama, Edwards, and Clinton have just about the same amount in terms of real-world experience. Actually, Clinton and Obama have very similar background (law,community activism,etc) on their road to the senate (excluding Clinton's 8 yr first lady status).

All three are great candidates and would be sufficient in the role as president.

Stop the lies and hate!

January 8, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Eric

I wish Clinton would drop out of the race. I want to see Edwards vs Obama. Lets have a real debate for once!!! They are both great American heros.

January 8, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. Sandie

Hey Wolfe,
    I have been wondering for months when the same standard was going to be put to the male contenders as the media is putting Hillary to. On te Friday night that the hostage situation took place, She really looked like a leader but barely got any coverage. The debate fumble in PA 2 months ago is still getting coverage yet Obama done basicly the same thing with the same question in the next debate and all was forgotten.
    From some of the little things that has been reported on John Edwards, I get the feeling he is the biggest crook around.Not to mention that he is the most UNhonest of them all. Why hasn't the foreclosure in NOLA that he was involved in been picked apart like you have picked Hillary apart.
    YOU BETTER BELIEVE YOU'LL ARE BIASED.....................

January 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  16. Teddy

It´s funny when People of this age still try to overlook someone that really want to bring a Change into a Country like United States of America. If I may ask, where were all this so called Politicians when things were getting bad in America´s Political and general way of life? I want to believe they were there and in a way or the other, they contributed to the present condition of the Country.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step so said Confucius. Why don´t you guys leave sentiments and racial speeches and see what Obama has to offer the Country and World? I believe in the power of the Legislative. Leave the rest for them and let him rule. Long Live Obama, long live Democrats and long live America.

January 8, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. Eric, California

I don't understand what is going on amongst us Democrats. We are supposed to be working together and fighting the Republicans in order to win back the White House, because that is what ultimately matters.

Edwards 2008!!!!

January 8, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. andrew williams

Well now the heavyweights are coming out.... Obama not having enough experience.. Please... Who have enough when they first start on something? Let the votes be counted and who WIN...

When Bill Clinton was counting the Black vote, what was being said at that time, nothing... The people is talking and what is being said is that Hillary is not the one that they want, not matter how much experience she claim to have... From where, the last I heard, Bill was president and not not Hillary, so where is this expreience coming from..

Fail Health Care attempt when she was first lady... Experience in and doing what? Please someone tell me....

Obama run on brother run on...........

January 8, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Scott Austin, TX

I love John and Elizabeth Edwards, and I desperately hope he gets the nomination. For the first time in my life, I'm inspired by a presidential candidate. Neither Clinton nor Obama do anything for me, and I'm not sure what I'd do if Obama is the nominee. His cold, hard lack of experience and fluffy, roseate optimism without any details whatsoever scare the Dickens out of me! Edwards has my money and my vote!!!!!

January 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  20. AGB, IL

I don't see any other poster from Illinois. I am an independent voter, having voted for who I think is the best candidate regardless of party in the past and have not made up my mind yet about any of the candidates. I have to say I have been watching Obama since he bacame a U.S. Senator from our state, have gone back to check his record in the Illinois Senate also, and I can't find anything that could remotely qualify as helping us, standing up for us, making change, etc. It appears that he has planned to run for President for some time – he has not taken a position or stance on anything that could come back to bite him in his campaign. Generally he votes "present" or is absent altogether. I can't imagine Obama being able to change the way the Senate does business – haven't seen him try in his short time there. I do not know anyone here in my circle of friends who will vote for him when we have our primary on 2/5. In fact, it appears that the count of Republicans in our town will be increasing soon! I just hope that the scrutiny he should be getting will start soon so we have a chance to make a difference here in Illinois. It seems we've crowned a winner on the basis of 1 win and possibly another in a very small state. Let's start thinking about what happened when everyone jumped on the media bandwagon for George Bush and we got 8 years of out of control spending, a surplus turned into a huge deficit, a senseless war, politics of fear, no unity as promised, only division. What ever happened to objective reporting? I was hoping the national reports would be more objective because they sure aren't here in Illinois – very biased!

January 8, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  21. Crodriguez

Before criticizing anybody one should first learn about them. For that reason I have yet to say ANYTHING negative about the republican candidates because I have not had any time to understand what they are about. I simply know that I disagree with most of their exclusive and bipartisan stands on most issues, that 's why I have dedicated my time to first learn about the democratic candidates.

By saying that I have dedicated my time to learn about the candidates I also mean doing more than picking up a paper and reading a blog and using that to form an "educated" opinion. I mean read their books (from 10 years ago), learn the story of their life and see where they have stood on important issues.

Anyone that reads Barack's two books (one which was written long ago) will understand that he represents the positive things that make our country beautiful and strong. He has the intelligence (president of Harvard Law and best seller author), the experience with grass roots organizations from his work in Chicago, the ability to win tough elections from his record in IL, and most important he shares moderate american values and morals that can be seen in his family life.

He is flawed and human, yes he tried drugs when younger but he was not a drug dealer . Yes, he voted for the "backwards wall at the border" which I oppose...but overall he has a clear understanding of the bigger picture and the things that make us ALL american and ALL a part of this country.

All of you, before you spend your time ruining someone's good reputation, do yourself a favor and do your homework.

Hillary is great, but she is too divisive for me. Edwards I like, just not as much as Obama. I would love an Obama Edwards ticket.

January 8, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  22. Bob, Fairfax County, VA

Unfortunately, this country is not ready to elect an African American or a woman to the office of the Presidency. The Democrats would be throwing the election away to the Republicans, which won't help the current state of the nation. I thought there was a separation of church and state, and apparently none of the Republicans want to acknowledge this imperative part of our government. I'm so tired of hearing about God and the Christian-right wing agenda to repeal Roe v. Wade etc.

I was a Republican until Bush ruined the party and know Edwards is the only saving grace. The Dems need to get their act together and elect a candidate who may actually win the electoral college.

January 8, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Juror13

Hillary Facts:
    Fact: Hillary stated that she did not read the intelligence report on Iraq. So Hillary's experience tells her to put our sons and daughters lives at risk without truly assessing the situation? Hillary's experience gave George Bush a blank check that she only know wants back to satisfy her personal ambitions.

Fact: Hillary still cannot admit that she made a mistake in voting for the war. She is still trying to spin this on George Bush as if George Bush is responsible for her actions. Is it Hillary's experience that is preventing her from apologizing to the families of the service members that have died for a war based on lies and a hidden agenda?

Fact: Bill Clinton lied under oath, disgraced the Whitehouse with his indescretion, AND lied on national TV to the nation and the mothers, fathers, sons daughters who serve this nation. Bill Clinton is a liar, adulterer, and a political divider. There is no way that I want any Clinton back in the Whitehouse.

Barack Obama is earning his way to the Whitehouse to represent the interest of th people of this nation and will put together a superior executive cabinet and intelligence officials that will get this country back on track. This cabinet will be of people with integrity and experience to provide healthcare, stabalize the economy, bring the war in Iraq to a close, root out and destroy the terrorists, restore habeas corpus, restore fair trade, and improve strained relations with allies.

January 8, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  24. John

I am a bit down today, Primary Day in NH. After all the noise, it feels as if we're stuck with the same ol', same ol'. I'm very afraid that after all the excitement re: Barack dies down, he will be revealed as just another pol, beholdin to the same special interests, spinning the same ol' gauzy lies and "justifications". I don't think we're making any progress at all, that Bush is just the most glaring example of the trend today: democracy is a catchphrase, a quaint concept, a word used as part of the lying platitudes pushed on us to catch our money and votes (same thing). Edwards at least talks about going after the corporations and the lying cheating sobs that screw us every day. Maybe he'll be better than the others. I'm convinced Obama is more of the same in a shiny new package.

January 8, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. James

Look, Bush, in theory, had a lot of experience to become president. Let's face it, he sucks. I would say the worst president in history. If you voted for him and disagree with me, well, I'm amazed you can actually read this.
    Hillary is giving the public the same speech that has been given before. I like Hillary and I would vote for her. John Edwards is giving us a repeated speech, and I too like him. But Barack Obama has a new speech, a fresh view and a new take. He's smart, he's charming and he is simply different. A friendly face with some brains behind it will do fine with domestic and foreign issues. Once again, Bush had experience, and boy do our foreign relations SUCK. Just ask our allies, if we have any left.

January 8, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |