January 10th, 2008

New congressional nods for Obama's run

WASHINGTON (CNN) - South Dakota Sen. Tim Johnson will endorse Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for president, two sources tell CNN.

Rep. George Miller of California will also back Obama's presidential bid. Miller is a top advisor to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

- CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. barack = america

obama will bring more bipartisanship to the country, clinton will only divide the red and the blue further apart. obama has more elected experience than hillary (1998-present). hillary polarizes people ... i was a volunteer in nh for barack going door to door and i heard so many people that were not going to vote for barack say that they liked barack and that he was a good man ... other voters that supported richardson, obama, or edwards could not stand hillary. she won in nh because the media covered her predominantly in the last two days before the election because of her planted fake cry. i am traveling to south carolina to volunteer for their primary. the obama express is coming to a city near you ....... BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!! If you want to volunteer, go to http://www.barackobama.com and click on volunteer on the right side of the webpage.

January 10, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. alex r., NV

I am excited about Obama. I hated school when I was a kid and now I'm a cook at a restraunt here in Las Vegas. I am so glad that my union has endorsed Obama. He has promised to double the minimum wage. This will finally make me middle class. I deserve to have all the stuff that college educated people have. Not all of us were meant to be in school. I contribute to society by making good meals for people yet society doesn't pay me enough. When Obama becomes president I will finally get what I deserve.

January 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. Jake, California

Jen, NYC, NY..
    interesting question. I am interested in that too because i was worried when I heard about Hillary's delegates before the Iowa caucuses.

It would have been a slam DUNK if we had gotten New Hamshire but I am satisfied with our strong second finish.

There's now way Hillary can become the Dem nominee. I am doing any thing legally allowed by the constitution and electoral laws to get folks out in California to begin stretching the Obama network.

If Hillary does't show anything substantial in Nevada and South Carolina, she's going to be in a lot of trouble...because the Obama wave will be too strong.

It's going to be like Sparta vs the Persians. There will be waves of Persian attacks from Camp Clinton and each is going to smash against the super Spartan Shields of the Obama camp to much of my delight. I am ready to die a sweet death for this movement.

LOL...I think I have watched too much of Gerard Butler's 300!

January 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Kim Jensen, Denmark

As a foreigner it is very funny and also a bit scary to follow the election process in the US.
    So much money spent, so many words spoken, and so little difference between candidates.
    The world has to watch. Who wins IS important – too important unfortunately. But this time I really, really hope a democrat will win. Be it Hillary or be it Obama – they will both impose much needed change from the current administration. The important battle is fought in the autumn – not now.

January 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Susanna

I disagree that the media is forcing Obama on us – after NH, it seems like they were having a huge part for Hilary and are still trying to convince everyone that she's the favorite.

I am an Obama supporter, but I did feel that their coverage of his Iowa win was overblown as was/is their coverage of Clinton's win in NH. Just forget the polls and the "momentum" and report on the issues – let the people decide.

January 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Yeah

For Money

You can call him a clown. You can vote for a republican. You can do whatever you want to do. Obama doesnt need your support to win. Your one vote, ignorant vote at that. This is not about race, this about our country. Its not about experience, its about the one who can take America to the next level. Its a new generation and a new generation need new leaders who understand that. One who will bring the best out of the young americans and to inspire them. Oh yeah, you dont think the republicans want hillary to win the nomination- It will fire up the base and angry indep. who can not stand the Clintons. pay attention the elections she has not won many indep. voters. I ask you money, name something that hillary clinton has done? Why she should be president? MMMM, alittle over 8 years in the senate. first lady for 8 years without an itell. clearance. anything else. Oh yeah i see your clinton fan, what experience did Bill C. have before he became president. mmmm nada.

January 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. concerned citizen, Mesa, Arizona

I am a democrat but this is really driving me nuts that all liberal democrats are backing Obama. If we as a party want to grow we have to become moderate on some issues. In a general election a liberal has a hard time. Obama talks about change but it seems he is drawing from the left wing of the party so they must feel he has same ideas as they do.

January 10, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. toli

when clinton was in office gas was $1.19 .................yesterday wife went shopping
    7 tomatoes $14.00

to all you clinton haters..................... we had a surplus, gas was cheap, food prices were reasonable, no record profits for exxon.

remember Bush when he was running for president............... look what we ended up with.

you are falling for the same bull from Obama.

please america wake up and vote clinton!

January 10, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Gbryant

TO: alex r., NV

Do you actually think he is going to DOUBLE the minimum wage? There goes those fairy tales.

January 10, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. wanda

first of all I don't believe in crying on the job. If I had to rely on crying to get the job I would hope they would not hire me.
    That was simply a dirty trick. And if it is my as president I wouldn't call on my husband to get me out of trouble.
    The hatred that Bill Clinton showed the day of the primary in NH. is not healthy. He truly hates another human being.

January 10, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. laura

Obama is untested, coniving, and a sham. He is leading the country to believe he can march into Washington and "clean up" generations of corruption with a wave of a wand ... from a person, mind you, who has yet to make a real contribution in his own state after serving it for a decade! Hillary is the only person so far in modern politics who had the guts to tackle healthcare in a very public, non-rhetoric but solution-minded way. That is a person who doesn't preach about change, but actually takes the steps to do it. Barack is a hypocrite for actively seeking endorsements from has-been losing politicians which is a thing of the past – that's not change! Change would be moving forward, not mimicking the past in his speeches (invoking MLK), in his talking points (invoking RFK), and his man on the moon "visions" (invoking JFK). Stop being a copy-cat from the past. Hillary is the real change for the future.

January 10, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Jeff - Plainfield, IL

Yes, it is become extremely obvious that the party is bolting from Hillary and to Obama. As the remaining candidates drop out or fade, most of them are already known to be leaning toward throwing their weight behind Obama. From simple observation, its obvious Edwards stands much closer to Obama than Clinton, so expect a good portion of his support to move toward Obama as well.

As far as the Superdelegates, I'm still not sure I quite understand that part of the system, but last I checked, Clinton had a huge majority. I believe we will see changes in those numbers coming quickly.

The Clinton campaign has run out of steam, and the Democratic Party knows the surest way to drive Republicans to the polls in record numbers is to put Clinton up as the Nominee. BUSH > BUSH > CLINTON > BUSH > CLINTON? Dynasties are for Empires, and I think we've all had enough of an Imperial D.C.

January 10, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. Jen, NYC, NY

I'm not sure the country will ever be united based on the feedback I've been reading. Hillary and Obama supporters are tearing each other down. At this point, it doesn't look like anyone will be able to turn this country around.

January 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. sohail,,,,,Illinois

One of the reason Hillary talks about her accomplishments is because she has a lot to talk about......Lets just only compare Hillary and Obama based on their term in the senate.....Obama has missed several votes in the senate because his focus is on the campaign.....We from Illinois did not sent him to Washington to fullfill his life long dream but to be our voice in the senate.....he has his priorities all messed up .....People in Illinois are not very happy with him.....He needs lose to Hillary ....go back to the senate and do what he was supposed to do for us in the first place ........serve the people of Illinos.....in my view, he needs another term as a senator before he is even close to being ready.....no on job training this time.....we saw enough of that with Bush.....I and 51% of other americans will vote for Hillary...

January 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. Tom Masters

Pelosi is an idiot, she's got a staff full of them, just one more endorsement Obama doesn't need, kin'a like the Kerry one.

January 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. educated voter

The Clinton era is OVER!!!! People feel a connection with Obama and its REAL.

Here's the problem with Hillary. She is too polarizing and the majority of people have already made up their mind about her. She doesn't have the potential to bring people to the table like Obama can. Obama has the greatest potential of bringing both sides of America together and THAT is how you accomplish great achievements throughout history. Go to Obama's website and READ about him, get to know what he stands for and why so many people are supporting his run for President!

January 10, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Janelle

I am now a huge Obama fan. Before I didn't know much about him but after Iowa and New Hampshire, I am a believer.

With the Kerry endorsement (and possibly others), Hillary better bring back the Kleenex!!!!

January 10, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Carrie

Leave Sen. Kerry alone! He is one of the most experienced, respected, and hard working Sen. in DC!

Obama/Edwards 08!

YES WE CAN!!!!!

January 10, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Dave, Evergreen CO

Don’t underestimate the importance of George Miller’s endorsement on the California primary.

January 10, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. pam

if ever there was a time in this country for an independent this is it. the d party is being torn apart and the r party is waiting in the wings trying to figure it out. i have read and research all avenues. i have heard everything from race, gender, old guard, change, lack of experience, bandwagon, good, bad endorsements, god help us all. i have never seen such division in this country . i will not give up my vote just because i didn't get who or what i wanted. if necessary i will do a write in even though i may just be one. i am tried of these two parties telling me this is my only choose for the highest office in the land. i am tried of it being about who has the most power to influnce this race, states, delegates, electoral college, news to include these high price advisors all these people have. wake up people it is not about the party, or news or who gives the best spin.

January 10, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. doug

OBAMA AND GORE IS THE ANSWER . WHY SEPERATE WHAT THEY BRING TOGETHER ? WHEN WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BOTH. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING. GOD BLESS US ALL!!! STAND UP AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT . WE HAVE DONE WRONG TOO LONG.....

January 10, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  22. rb

if Clinton is elected, we'll just have 4-8 more years of republicans hating the democrats(just like 1992-2000) – if– ANY– republican is elected, well have 4-8 more years of democrats hating the republicans(just like 2000-2008) – only in Obama will –ANYTHING– get done, whatever your idea of change is

January 10, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  23. Jack K.

As a representative from South Dakota....who else does he have to recommend.

They are TOTALLY dependant on "deal making"..as the state has no natural resources other than a lot of vacant real estate.

Gimme a break.

To me, this just shows–Obama is drawing the states/electorate of last resort. They've not faired well during King Georges reign–and hope to do better.

Sadly, they're betting their farms on the wrong candidate.

The only candidate who has the ba@#$ to make meaningful change happen in the Oval Office–is John Edwards.

From the people–of the people–for the people.

Who really cares about what a politician in a state with population of 5000 has to say???

January 10, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Dan, NJ

Clinton supporters, please start reading between the lines. Democrats see that Obama can bring out Dems and convince Independents to vote Dem. Clinton brings out Reps to vote against her and sends many Dems looking for another answer.

Obama wins more easily than Clinton in a General and helps Dems in congressional races, where Clinton hurts.

January 10, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  25. Anne KY

These timely endorsements, together with Kerry's, indicate the fact that Obama IS seen as the candidate of the future for our party. Clinton's endorsements were gathered very early, before people had a chance to survey the field. CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST OF LUCK OBAMA! My college age kids are excited about your candidacy, as are my husband and I. You have the ability to inspire us to be the citizens and the country we can and should be. May the entire country see what our youth see.

January 10, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |