January 12th, 2008

Poll: McCain poses greatest threat to Democrats

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Republican presidential field will face a tough general election fight from the Democrats, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Saturday.

According to the survey, either of the Democratic frontrunners, Sens. Hillary Clinton of New York or Barack Obama of Illinois, hold mostly double-digit – and statistically identical - advantages over Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani and Mike Huckabee, drawing more than 50 percent support in each hypothetical matchup.

The Republican candidate who gives Clinton and Obama the closest race in the new poll is Arizona Sen. John McCain, who is essentially tied with both: he draws the support of 48 percent of those surveyed to both Clinton's 50 percent and Obama's 49 percent.

Full Story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Richard, Ewing NJ

People kept asking what about Edwards, and what about Huckabee. Just look it up. CNN did the poll on these candidates as well.

January 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. Trang, Fremont, CA

McCain vs Obama, I go for Obama.
    McCain vs Clinton, I go for McCain.

January 12, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  3. Sandlapper is SC

Bush trashed McCain in South Carolina and since then McCain in his drive to become president has become Bush 2. Supporting his polices even to the extent of physical embracing him while New Orleans drowned. McCain would be another Bush if he should by any chance become president.

January 12, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  4. Mark

Dear Sir,

The largest question that threat our way of life is not global warming, the earth has been much hotter in the past and was populated by animals a lot less flexible than humans.

The question we need to ask ourselves is how do we maintain a standard of living when we import most of our raw materials and are exporting our technology.

The wealth of the United States is based on a number of facts, but the reason we have been able to maintain our wealth where countries like England has not is in our ability to use technology to increase productivity of our workers.

Productivity increases allow each generation to be come more wealthly, but if all the high value jobs go overseas, it will not matter as you can not increase something that does not exist.

We need to determine the how the generations that follow us are going to maintain a life style that is increasing out of reach of our children, I can not even afford to buy my own house, even after it has decreased in value by 20 percent.

The key for all Americans is we have to create new products such as solar power that uses chemical means to store the energy, and not because it is green but because it will increase our standard of living.

Let the Europeans be fashionable in their responses to issues, we need to be pragmatic to our approach.

Neither the Democrat or Republicans are looking for these types of solution, it is all about how they can control our wealth for their friends, and to push issues that do not effect most Americans.

We need to have low cost of funds for new technology and we need to focus our resources on what is important, not what is popular.

We need a third party to force the issue, the big business, big unions, and big government have to much control over the parties, we need a reformation party that is for the working American.

Remember that the Roman Empire did not advance at all as it was to stable to create technlogy had a surplus of low cost labor, change has been forced on the United States by external threats, but at the present time we must be willing to change ourselves.

Low cost of funds for technolgy, tax credits for eduction for technology, and break up the big slow lazy corparations.

God Bless You

January 12, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. Mark

As an Obama supporter I am incensed with Hilary's 'experience' counting the eight years as white house lady, since when is that considered experience? By that methodology, Nancy Regan should be president! Barack Obama was a state senator for eight years national senator for 3 years with a total of 11 years experience as a politician. Hilary has eight years experience as a politician.

January 12, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  6. Daniel Burke

I like to a comment about Mike Huckabee , about doing away with the IRS and have a sale tax .The rich people would love that they be paying the same Tax as the poor.I can see why there is a big problem in Washington He dosent have a brain in his head.I f Bill gates goes in to a store and spends a 1000 dollars he pays the same tax as some one on welfare.and then the sale tax would keep going up.And Mith Rommey thinks he is a sport contest ,When he says He has one gold and two silver Medals , I like for him to know, it is no sports when you playing with peoples lives.Danny from the Philippines.

January 12, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  7. FAIR TAX,LA.

TOO Many young people on the ticker.
    they not know nothing or how to do without!!
    you greety people social libs!!!!!!!!!1

January 12, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  8. Robert Bell

If Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, I will vote for McCain. OK, big deal, I live in a red state, it doesn't matter, right?

How about this? If Hillary wins the nomination, I will donate $2300 to the McCain campaign, the maximum allowed by law.

I like John McCain (I financially supported his last bid as well) even though I don't agree with all his "positions on the issues".

I admire is CHARACTER.

Obama or McCain.

NOT HILLARY.

January 12, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. cjay

The Republican establishment as a whole must take the rap for the misdeeds of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, DeLay, Rove. Wolfowitz, the whole kit and kaboodle of the cabal that brought our country to the sorry state that it is in. A Republican victory in this election would validate the status quo and provide cover to the cowardly Republican congressmen and senators who sacrificed their principles for the sake of their party.

I will not vote for a Republican until the current crop is thoroughly defeated and replaced. And that goes for McCain whom I respect personally.

January 12, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  10. June Swederofsky

McCain should be considered the biggest threat to any democrat winning.
    I'm undecided right now but am leaning towards Hillary Clinton.
    Economy is one of my interests and she speaks on that and I know her record.
    Obama needs to tell the nation more about himself.
    I love his charisma too but we need someone to beat a republican.
    The only Republican I'm for is John McCain.

January 12, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  11. ferdinard

only Obama has what it takes to reconcile America with the rest of the world,I am not an American,Bush has terribly destroyed American image abroad.

January 12, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. ferdinard

Americans should be courageous enough to accept a badly needed change

January 12, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Steve

McCain wants illegals here and will do nothing as he is doing right now about the border. He has been in Washington long enough to make any difference and he has simply been a Bush puppet. He wrote the amnesty bill. Why did he do this? Because he is another Washington crook who takes $$$ from the corporations.
    McCain gets angry about the issue and brings up separating families copying the Bush monologue...
    Immigration is a quick fix to the economy as well. Schools, hospitals, the illegals earnings that never go back into the US economy, but to the family across the border. McCain doesn't care about anyone. 100 years in Iraq. Is that feasible with our budget? Time to send this insane old retiree to the beaches in Florida. We could get him some dentures and some diapers.

January 12, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  14. David Pinchotti

John McCain is the only viable candidate for the Republican Party. George W. Bush's Administration and the Republican Congressional majority squandered all the political capital, that had been built by the party since Reagan. Right wing (i.e. guns & God) politics just isn't palatable to independant voters in the current environment. Romney, Huckabee, Thompson, et al. would certainly capture the vote of the Republican faithful, but that's not enough to win the election. Giuliani, not McCain, has the skeletons in the closet. McCain, has a history of broad based, independant appeal; his common-sense positions on the environment & campaign finance reform will attract many independent & conservative democrat voters. Moreover, John McCain is a bonafide war hero – exactly what this nation needs. Restoring credability to the Republican Party is essential if they are ever again to wield the influence they once did. Therefore, Republicans ought to rally behind only true leader in bunch unless they want to hand Clinton & Obama the election on a silver platter!

January 12, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Bayousara

If you vote for John McCain, you need to be very sure you like his vice presidential choice, because there is a good chance that the VP will serve most of McCain's term.

McCain will be 72-1/2 when he takes office.

He has already suffered two bouts of the deadliest cancer known, melanoma.

I believe that these two statistics are important ones and are fair game to consider when the position of president is requires as much stability as possible.

Also consider that Mrs. McCain might get as much power as Nancy Reagan if McCain becomes ill.

January 12, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. Bayousara

Can I assume that those of you will are Democrats and who are willing to cross over to Republican if Hillary gets the nomination don't actually believe in the Democratic party platform?

If you don't, why not register Independent so as to not tarnish the party's purpose.

A party's platform is what defines it. To me it is like the Bible is to Christians; even though they might be of various denominations, with beliefs in different doctrines, the basic dogma of Christianity is a common purpose.

So goes the Democratic party's platform, our bible–what we believe in and are willing to support.

January 12, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  17. Anthony M

I am a disabled vet, and I see right through Hillary, and yes I would take Obama over her and I make no apologies for that. It takes an act of congress to go to war and while I'm no George Bush fan he didn't enter this war alone eveyone that voted for it is equally responsible and now, during an election year of course, the very people that voted for the war are saying I'll bring the troops home, what do you expect them to say!! The democrats won the majority in both the house and senate and tell me what has gotten done? The reason why is because they are divided on all issues. What we need in this country at this time is someone who wants to unite, this is the only way to get things done, do your research when Bill Clinton had a Republican congress in his second term they got absolutely nothing done. We need bipartisan, we need a leader that will reach across the isle, because without this, no matter who the next president is nothing will get done. So save the talk about experience, save all the talk about hope, save all the talk about big business and federal lobbyist. We must become a nation of one, united for the better good of this country. Anyone out there that has worn a uniform in a war zone knows the only way we survive is by working together as one unit, how come these politicans can't figure that out.

January 12, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  18. Seam, Philly, Pa

New Poll just in: 98% of people do not care about polls.

January 13, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  19. MJ Seymour,CT

McCain has no chance as he supports amnesty for illegals, promotes war in Iraq to continue for 100 more years and he has the Keating 5 Scandal still waiting to be exposed.

Huckabee has no chance as he parolled over a thousand people as governor of Arkansas and one of them went on to rape and murder a young woman. His son hung a dog at a boy scout camp and wasn't satisfied so he went on to stone the dog and slit it's throat. Huck made sure to bury that incident and his son never faced charges for it. Besides Huck raised taxes and supports illegals receiving benefits from the taxpayers' dollars.

I urge those that believe in the real Republican format to look over the others left to choose from and vote for the one that supports smaller government and is against amnesty.

January 13, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  20. James Brown ( Independent )

Hillary Clinton is a lightening rod for all that is wrong with Washington , and brings nothing but more of the same division that results in nothing getting done.

Obama has a track record of bringing people from all parties together to find solutions , and SOLUTIONS is what this county needs right now.

McCain is not even going to make it to the general , he shot himself in the foot with the immigration thing , and he is currently serving his last term in the Senate , because he showed AZ his true colors.McCain is part of the problem , not the solution.

Time for fresh ideas in this country.

OBAMA 08

January 13, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  21. Paul, Rochester, MN

I am 18 years-old, and have looked forward to the day when I can cast my first vote for President...and for a Democrat! But Obama scares me. I fear that he does not have a real grasp on how to solve issues at the federal level. He has only been in the Senate for three years, and has the worst attendance record at that! His only accomplishment? Ethics "reform"-now politicians have to accept food from lobbyists standing up instead of having the liberty to enjoy it sitting down.

In debates or on the stump you will never hear him speak specifics- just a bunch of buzzwords. And while many of my young friends are ignorant enough to buy into this, I am not. I am not looking for a President that does not understand the job and will rely too heavily on advisors. We have had seven awful years of that.

I would never vote Republican, not McCain, not Giuliani. But will I abstain from voting when presented the option of Senator Obama or a Republican? Likely.

HILLARY '08...our only hope.

January 13, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  22. Steven Carter

How in the world can McCain separate himself from 8-years of Bush rule, when you consider how hard he fought to get Bush re-elected in 2004. McCain's doesn't seem to have met a war that he didn't like. He seems to choose military engagement regardless of the circumstances.

He is anti-choice, likely to appoint extremely conservative judges to the Supreme Court, has supported the Iraq war like few others, appears to be against net neutrality. Also, keep in mind that the guy is 72. The average life expectancy in the United States is not much over 72; however, I am more concerned about his mental acuity as he gets older.

Something to think about.

January 13, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  23. Chris from Arizona

You Ron Paul supporters just are not based in reality. Ron Paul has no chance to get the GOP nominatiion. He's an isolationist who has little support in the party. McCain would be the strongest nominee.

January 13, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  24. Tom Davie

I am a hillary supporter. I am because Bill was a good president and its virtually guaranteed she will therfore be the same.

I would vote for Obama if:

-hillary wasnt in the race OR

-this was 2012 or 2016.

I am NOT going to stick a guy in power using the HYPE of HOPE who has never run a business, city , or state, and doesnt even have a clue how to push bills thru the senate in a bipartisan way.

He is a junior senator in his first term. He hasnt even introduced a MAJOR bill in his whole life.

Its IRRESPONSIBLE to stick a guy like that who has no power to do anything in charge of the WHOLE COUNTRY.

Obama has proven to me to be a GREAT public speaker. Most who want him to win fall into 2 categories :

– They are radicals full of hate, whom HATE Hillary and Bill Clinton.

– they are young, love Obama's speeches, and dont really have a CLUE how washington works and how hard it is to get things done without experience.

January 13, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  25. Allan Dumbong

OBAMA WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!

January 13, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |