January 14th, 2008

Clinton, McCain lead in two new national polls

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/POLITICS/01/09/nh.analysis/art.me.clinton.mccain.ap.jpg caption=" McCain and Clinton are the leaders in two new national polls."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Two new national polls out Monday morning offer different snapshots of how the presidential race is shaping up in both parties.

In a new ABC News/Washington Post Poll, Democrat Hillary Clinton holds a 5-point lead over Barack Obama, 42 percent to 37 percent. John Edwards is back at 11 percent. Meanwhile, a new CBS/New York Times poll shows Clinton with a wider lead over Obama, 42 percent to 27 percent. Edwards is also at 11 percent in that poll.

On the Republican side, John McCain leads Mike Huckabee by 8 points, 28 percent to 20 percent in the ABC News/Washington Post poll. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is essentially tied with Huckabee at 19 percent, and Rudy Giuliani is close behind with 15 percent. Fred Thompson stands at 8 percent in that poll.

In the CBS/New York Times Poll, McCain holds a slightly wider 15-point lead over Huckabee, 33 percent to 18 percent. Rudy Giuliani is back at 10 percent in that poll and Romney and Thompson are tied at 8 percent.

Both polls find the economy has easily eclipsed the war in Iraq as the most important issue on voters' minds.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll carries a margin of error of five points while the CBS/New York Times poll's margin of error is plus or minus three points.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Polls • Presidential Candidates
  1. Teacher

Wow kids and you call that a choice.The fix is in.

January 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  2. TWC

I could vote for Hillary in categories like "Best Actress", "Most Likely to Say Anything to Get Elected, or "Most Apt to Misuse Power"... But for President of this nation...? FORGET ABOUT IT!

Have we forgotten about the scandal that surrounded Bill Clinton toward the end of his tenure as President? I do recall perjury and Obstruction of Justice being the issues. I am willing to bet that Hillary was very involved in helping Bill fabricate his approach since it was "their" presidency. That is certainly not the Presidential behavior I am looking for.

Case closed – Obama '08!

January 14, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  3. SexismWhat?

Obama needs to stop playing the race card!

January 14, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. MAF

Give 'em hell. Hillary!

The last time I checked, the Constitution never declared the media as a candidate "decider," as in: Barack is inspiring, Hillary is so yesterday.

Hello! We're reasonably intelligent out here. Your bias is showing, big time. We have a vote, too. Remember? New Hampshire was the first shot. Get ready. There are more volleys on the way.

Sincerely,

Disgusted in Tennessee.

January 14, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  5. C. Smoot

I can't believe these posts. Clinton is playing with all of your minds. She is the great divider. Most republican's hate her. she has 0% chance of becoming president if she wins the nomination or not.. Remember this while we watch another republican get sworn in as president. Be smart and vote Obama.

January 14, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. stan pitts pa

i love OBAMA!

January 14, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  7. Scot

I really see Obama as the best choice for the nation. He's bright, articulate, able to bring people together and honest. He's NOT a power-hungry carpetbagger (Hillary has orchestrated every move in her life to become president-moving to New York to run for senator, sticking with Bill in what is most definitely a marriage of convenience for politics-sake, etc). She is willing to say whatever he needs to say to get elected. Obama isn't afraid to speak the truth–he admitted to smoking marijuana and moved on...he didn't try to say he "didn't inhale." He's on the right track with his fiscal policy–removing the huge and unfair tax breaks for the wealthiest 1%. I have no problem with a woman president. I think women in key positions can actually be very beneficial. We just don't need THIS woman. If nothing else she will DEFINITELY cause a lot of people to vote for the Republican choice.....based on the fact that many people dislike her that much. Lots of people dislike her vehemently. I see Obama and Edwards as a strong 1-2 punch....and I believe Edwards has been siddling up to Obama with that in mind. I respect McCain's straight talk but think he is a hot head.

January 14, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  8. Me

Yea Hillary might make a great president, but me personally I don't think she can handy it all. I mean if she can take the pressure from a simple debate then just think what she will do when stuff begin to hit the fan if she's in office. That's why I think that Obama's the right choice for the American people. Yea it would be nice to have another Clinton in the White House, but come on we all know who will be behind the entire thing. All I can say is how every this thing may play it self out, I hope that Hillary or Obama win.

January 14, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. Audrey

Love these comments.. Not sure who I'm voting for yet (not sure which party either), I would like, however to not have my choice on the Republican side be John McCain.... He's just too old and tired. I often see him lose his train of thought mid-sentence. I wonder how much he really wants this.

I would like Huckabee to drop out, I don't want a minister to be the president....Just not right.

I like Guilianni the best, but not sure he really wants it either.... Whats wrong with Mitt Romney? I hope he wins Michigan.

For the Republicans- Mitt Romney

As for the Democrats- I think Hillary will make a better president than Obama.

January 14, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  10. Dems

Judy,

Get real. As a staunch Democrat, I can tell you that initally I was for the war........and I am closely tied to the military and have been directly affected by this war. And, I support Hillary and her decision to vote to take down Sadam and go into Iraq (hindsight is 20/20) Can you actually say that you ALWAYS knew that we should have stayed out of Iraq? Really? Obama wasn't there to vote! Of course he is going to say (with that now 20/20 vision) that he would have voted against invading Iraq. PROVE IT! Show me some results OBAMA! All he is is talk talk talk...........lot of hot air. Show me the money!

Go Hillary!

January 14, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  11. Gerald Devora

Maybe this latest poll is accurate but I seriously boubt it. Hillary could be much more ahead or Obama might be the one leading. The reality is neither should be given the number one slot based upon a very small consensus...I hear how Obama is slicing away at Hillary's lead all the time but the truth is out of all the Hillary supporters I know not one has voiced their decision to switch to Obama. I think the media and their love affair with sensanual news has doon a disservice to all Americans whether being a Hillary or Obama supporter.

January 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  12. beasty

Wow I get tired of hearing that Hillery has alot of experence she says 35 years. I wish she would tell us her experence, well lets see she was first lady for 8 years hmmm did that count if it did the chef can claim the same thing as alot of other people can do. Ok she was first lady in Arkansas when Bill was govener she can claim that time also but so can the chef. Then there was the Rose Law Firm lets see she really screwed up there. Oh and lets not forget she helped bail out Bill with all female trouble remember it was the vast right wing that caused all of it . We could go on and on but I think you get the picture, do you really want someone with all her baggage to be your president? hmmmm

January 14, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  13. Mia, Stafford, VA

Lea, her track record may be longer as it should be considering she is about 15 years older than him, but she was supporting Goldwater in 1964, who was totally against the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT. I'm glad she has come around since then, and I don't hold that against her since she was only 22 or so, but if the Democrats want the White House back we need a candidate that can win the Democratic vote, the Independent vote and the Soft Republican vote, which Barack has proved he can do in both the race in IA and NH.

January 14, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  14. Independent Marcus Moore

Polls are polls...caucuses are caucuses....but when it's you and your vote...you and the ballot...whether it's a primary or the general election...you can vote however you want and tell others something else....

Thus Iowa (precinct delegate vote w/ less privacy) didn't mean anything and New Hampshire (a popular vote measurement) shows what people really think...

Like then-Governor John H. Sununu once said: "The people of Iowa pick corn, the people of New Hampshire pick presidents..."

Although it would have been more accepting if he just said caucuses are not as telling as primaries...but you get the picture.

oh and everyone complaining about how shady politics can be....please grow up... it's nothing new, and it's not going to get old. Different strokes for different folks - Clinton is more suggestive in her comments, and Obama does things more subtly and then he later shows how he is taking the higher road. People eat it up.

This is nothing in comparison to what the general election will be like. Republicans have the upper hand since the Democrats are divided, and I'm sure they have plenty to raise against each Democratic candidate. Voters need to concentrate on who is more electable and qualified. Motivational rhetoric by male minority may make Democrats swoon, but it won't bring over Independents or Republicans that are on the fence, come general election time.

It really seems like it's easier to ignore the sexism in the anti-Clinton views than it is to key into or call anti-Obama views racist. Thus people openly bash Clinton and openly support Obama to not seem racist. I think that's a huge problem and people should just vote on hard facts, numbers, experience and qualifications. Whether it be Obama, Clinton, McCain, Romney, Paul, whoever...

Just because he looks different, is of a different age, has a different political history, appeals to us wanting something different, doesn't mean that he will be the one to make the difference the country needs. I don't get why people think he is the change that is needed... his team seems to be old Clinton supporters that were discarded and not asked to stay on board the Clinton machine...if anything the revamped Clinton machine is forward looking...and electable.

Although marginal - Clinton > Obama - McCain > Romney

anyway you all have time to read and make your secret vote in Nov. – do the right / more sure thing.

January 14, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  15. Mike, Stamford, CT

Hillary can't win a general election, there is too much anti-Clinton sentiment in the country. So vote for Hillary in the primaries and we will have a president McCain in 2008.

January 14, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  16. Jacob Flom

Where is Ron Paul in Ballot bowl 2008? Where are his highlighted video clips?
    Why does CNN black ball him.

January 14, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  17. irma

I think this is good training for both Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton. You can bet the race and gender issue will come up a thousand times over when they run against the Republicans. You need to know how to take it and dish it back if you want to win against worse tactics than we're seeing now..That's why Kerry and Gore lost, pretending to take the high road gets you nowhere. I mean, it freaks me out but then, I don't have EXPERIENCE. By the way, experience will come in handy in fighting the Republicans. Experience will really come in handy in getting us out of this Bush mess, that in itself will be a "Change." The name Clinton is known, respected and liked in most of the world, and that's another way experience will help. Senator Edwards, I really like you too and I am sorry, you won't get my vote because you already lost once against the Republican machine. Senator Obama, I am going to dare say it. Ever since people compared you and Harold Ford, I couldn't STAND you. You came across as "pompous" , you gaze about the room as though you were Lincoln at the former Disneyland "Lincoln Speaks." I am Puerto Rican and far from being a racist, and I was floored with shock when the media kept touting how likeable you are. I think people are afraid to say negative things about you, including the media. So I am taking that step.....You're not like the Kennedy's or like Dr./ Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. That's like saying, I can imitate Whitney Houston's singing (I wish) and so I like Whitney Houston, can be a famous singer. Rev. King risked his life since early youth to bring about change. I had professors who still bore wounds from lunch counter sit-ins; they weren't great orators, but they were part of the action for change. Funny how no one thought you being compared to Dr. King was insulting.........

January 14, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  18. kay. newport beach, calif.

I like obama, he could possibly make a very good president... but not yet.

Putting it another way, if you or one of your family needed a life saving surgical procedure to-night, in whose hands would you put your trust? Would you choose the rookie to perform the surgery, or the one with a long and successful track record? As a country we have much more at stake, let's make a smart choice this time. Hillary Clinton will get the job done well, and restore our stature on the world stage.

January 14, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  19. Vic

As an independent, I have made up mind and I will vote for Hillary Clinton. She has been the only candidate that has taken so much from the media now I think she could handle anything if she is elected. I was so frustrated when some one called her an old hag while there is more older candidates running for president in 2008. From all the candidates the media has not given her a fair chance, and she shows she is a fighter and does not give up, fighting all odds.

January 14, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  20. Mike

I really can't believe the ignorance displayed by Obama supporters here. If you're making your decision to vote for Obama because of BILL Clinton's "scandal" then you really are foolish. If you hate the Clinton’s so much, why not vote for Edwards. At least he’s not a former drug addict.

Here's a sampling of other postings here from Obama supporters...

>>“I thought we Americans are more smarter than that”

>>“Personally I don't like to be lead but it appears we have more sheeps in America then any other country.”

>>“Time for dynastic politicss to come to an end on 1/20/09 ANYBODY BUT THE CLINTONS”

Wow! Guess Obama really attracts the cream of the crop when it comes to educated voters.

January 14, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Rick

It is time that America wake up to the shame of a candidate Hillary Clinton is.

She suggests that her 35 years of making change is what we need. Let's take an honest look at her real lack of experience. Hillary is claiming the experience of her husband Bill.

Hillary has never accomplished anything remotely characterized as change. Where is the proof of her 35 years of making change?

It is her racist, same old crap campaign with its typical lip-service about change which she has never accomplished a thing.

I am bewildered that Black people in this country would still be so easily duped by the likes of Hillary Clinton and her ilk.

Her latest remarks regarding the accomplishments of the civil rights struggle which was finally put into law by LBJ only came on the backs and the deaths of many brave black American's who fought and struggled for those changes and because of Dr. King's bravery to challenge the U S Congress.

That is why LBJ was forced to act or he knew he was looking at another potential civil war.

January 14, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. John

I don’t see a huge difference between Obama and Hillary’s positions on most issues and the changes they say they would like to make. With that in mind, I lean strongly towards Hillary because I feel her experience and track record are superior to Obama’s. What was Obama doing in the 90’s when Hillary was trying to bring universal health care to America? I do also feel Hillary has come across in the debates as having a better grasp of the issues than Obama.

I plan to vote for the candidate who I believe would do the best job, not for who I think has the best shot in the general election. Having said that, I do feel Hillary stands the better chance in the general election. Hillary may be afraid to bring up Obama’s admitted drug use, but you bet the Republican’s won’t have that same hesitancy. I really don’t want the president of the free world having a history of drug use (as Obama admitted in his book). Also, with the economy doing so badly, among this country’s other huge problems, I think the Republicans would rightly scare people away from voting for a candidate with as little experience as Obama. Once the media and the Republicans start to pick apart Obama like they’ve been doing to Hillary since the 90’s, Obama’s numbers will sink like a stone.

January 14, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. EddyNewHope

Yeah – I agree. There is no way that the majority of America will allow another Clinton (or Bush for that matter) to run this country for another 4-8 years. That would mark almost 3 decades of two families running the United States. The Clintons have had their day and that day has passed. Obama walks the walk – not just talks the talk as so many folks here are blindly claiming. I don't care about race, gender, or whatever – I'm a middle of the road, white, Democrat and I want a new approach in the White House. I'm sorry but I don't see the Clintons as the agents of change that so many Americans are calling for. Judge Senator Obama by his actions. He is a good man as demonstrated by his gracious defense of the Clintons today. That is the definition of a change in Washington: a humble and gracious gesture to defend the Clintons in spite of their attacks and distortion of his record. Well done Senator Obama. You are a true gentleman.

January 14, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  24. kay. newport beach, calif.

Democracy at work...

January 14, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. sabrina

Obama is playing the race card. He should stop, cause it shows bad character.
    And isn't it the TRUTH that he used cocaine? It's not like anyone is making it up.
    The Republicans will use this fact a lot, you can bet on it.

January 14, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |