January 15th, 2008

Romney projected to win Michigan GOP primary, with early lead

(CNN) - CNN projects former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney to win Tuesday's Republican primary in his native Michigan, his first major contest victory of 2008.

With 11 percent of precincts reporting, Romney had 37 percent of the vote, followed by Sen. John McCain at 31 percent and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in third place with 17 percent.

Anti-war Texas congressman Ron Paul ran fourth at 7 percent, while former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson drew 4 percent and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, 3 percent.

California Rep. Duncan Hunter, the ranking Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, brought up the rear with less than 1 percent support, while 2 percent went for uncommitted delegates.

Full story

Filed under: Michigan • Mitt Romney
  1. Richard

Im so sick of mitt romney talking about change when he praises george bush policies. We are sick of bush and the republicans selling out this country. romney will be bush part 2 where coporate america dominates.

– take your head out of the sand people. rich republicans care more about war and oil than schools and health care.

ps i used to vote republican.. NEVER AGAIN!

January 15, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. C Jon Poss

It's a crying shame that the networks, you guys included are or appear to be deciding who gets nominated by only talking about certain candidates. You well know that there are a great number of Americans that follow that herd mentality by only wanting to vote for a winner. Since you don't give time to those who could and would make real change in this country, you in effect choose who the candidates are that move on in the primary races and probably who will actually be nominated. That is very unfortunate.

I, as many other Americans, realise that the big networks are owned by giant corporations. Accordingly, in keeping with good old Republican policies, you will prosper by maintaining the status quo even if it is bad for the majority of America!

Shame on YOU!
    Sincerely,
    C. Jon Poss

January 15, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  3. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

This shows the folks in Michigan for not being too bright. Anybody on the planet with half a brain would see through this guys camouflage smokescreen, telling everybody in every state just what they want to hear. Just what we need, another lying snake oil salesman who happens to be a politician. Hopefully this pending nightmare will be put to rest by the end of the primaries. Listen to the truth for a change people.

January 15, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  4. Big Mowma

Who cares? Ron Paul is my man. I'm an independent and I agree with every single thing he has to say on the issues. The other candidates are just puppets. I wish CNN would take a serious look at a REAL politician.

January 15, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  5. Tyson, Temecula, CA

Romney is our only hope on the Republican side! We need change and that is what Romney represents. We don't need any more of these politicians who say they are going to bring about change. We need somebody who will actually bring change. He has done it with various companies and I'm confident he'll do it with our country.

If you question his character and values.... do some more research regarding his family, background and values. You'll find that he's the man for the job. You'll find that he is the only one that gives you any insight regarding his family and upbringing. Why is that???? Go figure. He has nothing to hide. Give the guy a chance.

January 15, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  6. Sue Thomas

It is easy to see how Romney pulled it off in MI....he got all of the media coverage because he is a 'son of the state'. Do you really beleive that he is the man for the job based on that ?

January 15, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Jerrod

As a society we are sheep. You follow the opinons of others and make them your own. As a Democrat they sit and watch which side of the fence the Republican party, then vote against. Think I am wrong... Play along. If the United States stands by and watches Iran become Nucular then it was the Presidents fault for allowing it. However, if a decision was made to go in and stop that threat he/she then becomes war hungry. Each party is the same snake with a different head.

Bush, all though I am not a fan is not at fault for your lot and life. He took the presidency and within the first year. Was attacked by terrorist, Florida is hit with 3 major hurricanes and New Orleans was destroyed. Now sit and ask yourself how the debt was created. People blame the War for the debt. Do your research people War is big business. Do I think our troops should be in harms way. NO! Do I think the fight will be brought to your doorstep if we were not there YES!

I would be considered in most tax brackets as rich. Well guess what I work on a printing press and I sell for a printing company. I should be penalized for my drive and effort. Your not going to hurt the fat cats period ever..... The americans that would suffer most from the democratic economic reform are those just like me. Small Business.

Baaaa Baaa sheep....

January 15, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Angela

I'll try to leave this post again....

I find it "odd" that the only candidate with an "adjective" before his namep is Ron Paul To be objective – you would need to do the same with the other candidates say like – Amnesty-loving McCain, Pro-Life/Pro-Choice Romney, Baptist Preacher (dancing is a sin) Huckabee. Or, at the very least – just call him Congressman Paul, like you do the others, please.

Man, I've already ditched FOX because of their bias, can CNN give us a break?

January 15, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. Ross Lippincott; Davenport Iowa.

My mother told me many times, "if they'd have had TV in Abraham Lincoln's day he'd have never been elected.
    After seeing how the media bends this, I believe it.

OBAMA /EDWARDS 08!!!!!!!!!!!

January 16, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  10. Todd C.

Why is Fred Thompson still in the race???

January 16, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  11. Nicole Price, Dallas Texas

Ron Paul is my man. I wish CNN would take a serious look at a REAL politician.
    They've given that whack job plenty of press. Luckily, his skewed views of reality are showing in the polls. The actual polls, not the internet ones. So, as his momentum comes to a crawl, so too does the presses coverage. They need to spend time focusing on real candidates.
    It's clear to see that out of 100 average voters, only 5 or 6 people think Paul is "their man".
    Where's the revolution?

January 16, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. Kevin

A 55% win for Hillary in Michigan where she was basically the only Democratic Candidate on the ballot does not bode well for her popularity there... the good news, i suppose is that they are making their way to the blue states now...

January 16, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. ag

sometime back, Mitt Romney accused rival Mike Huckabee of “channeling John Edwards”.
    DOES Mitt knows what “channeling” means? WAKE UP people….This is a “new age” speaking.
    A “real” Christian will not use this wording.
    But then again, out of the fullness of the heart, the mouth speaketh.

January 16, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Karen L. Reimer, Mt. Bethel, PA

Why don't you talk about RON PAUL. More viable candidate than Rudy Guliani. Raised more money, received more votes thus far.

January 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |