January 16th, 2008

Draft Dobbs group emerges

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/11/06/Dobbs.Nov7/ART.LOU.DC.CNN.jpg caption= "CNN Anchor Lou Dobbs."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Move over Michael Bloomberg. Another famous figure is the subject of a presidential draft movement: CNN's own Lou Dobbs.

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC - a group, according to its Web site, that supports candidates "who make illegal immigration reduction a top priority" - launched a campaign Wednesday designed to convince the CNN anchor to enter the presidential race if a so-called "pro-amnesty" candidate wins the Republican presidential nomination. According to the group, John McCain, Mike Huckabee, and Rudy Giuliani all fall into that category.

William Gheen, the president of ALIPAC, said the group has over 25,000 active supporters spread across all 50 states and an overwhelming majority of them are ready to support a Dobbs presidential bid. Gheen also expressed confidence in Dobbs' wide electoral appeal.

"Lou Dobbs could run and win because he could easily raise the funds and grassroots support he needs to be a historic and viable candidate quickly," he said. The public is eager to rebuke the DC status quo and would quickly rally to Dobbs."

The group has launched an official Web site and is already using it to solicit fundraising pledges for the potential run and showcase Dobbs anti-illegal immigration stance.

Buzz has long surrounded a Lou Dobbs presidential bid in the blogosphere - even more so after Dobbs wrote a column for CNN.com last November in which he hypothesized an "Independent populist" would win the White House. (The Wall Street Journal published a piece soon after that claimed Dobbs was "seriously contemplating" a bid.)

"I can't imagine any one of the current candidates for their party's nomination being chosen by the American people to lead this nation for the next four years," Dobbs wrote in his column. "I believe the person elected a year from now will be an Independent populist, a man or woman who understands the genius of this country lies in the hearts and minds of its people and not in the prerogatives and power of its elites."

"I believe next November's surprise will be the election of a man or woman of great character, vision and accomplishment, a candidate who has not yet entered the race," he wrote.

Dobbs has repeatedly said he has no plans to run for president. But speaking with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last week, he refused to rule it out. (Watch Dobbs on a potential presidential bid)

"You never say never, but the fact of the matter is, my commitment, my interest lies in being - doing what I do, which is that of an advocacy journalist on this great network," he said, adding "I'm very flattered by the thoughts."

Gheen acknowledged Dobbs' entrance into the race was unlikely, but said his group is ready to "camp outside his office" should McCain, Huckabee, or Guilaini win the GOP nomination.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Lou Dobbs
  1. Joe

Lou Dobbs is the biggest Jack Ass I have ever met!!! If you disagree with him you are wrong or stupid. I've seen this first hand and behind the scenes of his tv show. I doubt this will get posted, but he has no ideas of his own to solve anything but rants about whats wrong with america. Thats why he wont run, because people would rant about the way he "ran" america. he's a jerk!!! I hope you read this Lou Dobbs!! follow my lead america, draft Brad Pitt for president!!! What a joke!

January 16, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  2. Bart

More than anyone in America, Lou gets it when it comes to understanding the forces that are threatening to ruin the American middle class. When the middle class goes, there goes the country. He understands about unfair global labor competition, dirty dealing by corporations, opportunistic illegal aliens elbowing the American working poor out of jobs, the whole 9 yards.

January 16, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Duncan, Richmond, VA

I read an article today from him that he complained that none of the candidates are committing to bringing the troops home and they are just throwing earlier dates to get votes.. Does he not know that Ron Paul is also running and intends to bring the troops home from day 1? I don't want someone like Lou running who is so ignorant.

January 16, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  4. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Dobb's should jump in and immediately quit CNN where his foolishness is ruining CNN's good name. He's way too senile to report objectively anymore. If he wants to captain his ship of fools,then by all means let him go.

January 16, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  5. Ulf Janson

If Lou Dobbs by any chance would become president of this great country, I will, at my advanced age of 73, immediately emigrate back to my country of origin Sweden and apply for restitution of my Swedish citizenship.
    Enough is enough!!!!!
    P.S. Is Lou an original American Indian???????

January 16, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  6. Jim

Lou Dobbs is a legend in his own mind. He never has any constructive ideas, always is distorting anyone trying to solve problems to sell his book and it has seemed for the pasy 2 years launch some sort of political campaign. I have to change the channel whenever his hate filled show is on. I had to wait for his drivel to get over so I could see the MI results, bbecause I refuse to watch him.
    CNN is losing their "most trusted name in news" reputation by allowing Dobbs to use their airwaves in promoting his book and his own hate filled idealogy.
    I think CNN should remove Dobbs from the air, then Dobbs could see how few people really follow his idas by running for office.

January 16, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. john

Dobbs!!! you have got to be kidding. This guy is as much of a whack job as Hillary , Edwards and Kucinich. Almost as crazy as Huckabee as well.!!!

January 16, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. Brian

What does Lou have against Ron Paul's positions? They seem to be inline with a lot of Lou's opinions on matters of the economy, the border, foriegn policy, etc. I wish he would get all of his viewers to support Ron if he doesn't run himself. Thanks Lou!

January 16, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. Karen

I like Lou. The fact that someone yells out a Clinton campaign "Do you have to be a US citizen to caucus?" In other words do you need to be a citizen to vote... Good Grief. You actually watch his show and have no idea how he would solve an issue. An economist with no concept or understanding of economic issues? I don't have an issue with numbers, but then I have a degree in Finance.

Some of the ideas expressed on the show to encourage attrition would be to eliminate the incentives. Secure the border (also a security issue), enforce the law that it is illegal to employ an illegal, apply penalties to employers who do break the law, no benefits, increase penalties for identity theft, when arrested-hold illegals until deported, could even end the anchor baby manipulation of the law. Stop forcing me to subsidize cheap labor and pad the profits of the corps.

I'm sick of social welfare and corporate welfare. I think Lou and his guests have had some legitimate solutions. But then I don't drink from the liberal kool-aid cup.

January 16, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  10. Bella

Lou, instead of running of president why don't you just write a book and tell us all how to live and think. Seeing as how you know everything and all.

January 16, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. C.Lo

Lou you complain too much – I'd like to hear you talk about the positive accomplishments. Also, corect me if I am wrong but I am sensing you have something against Obama and I just do not know why

January 16, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. s.positive

Where is my post CNN?

January 16, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  13. John

I hope Dobbs runs and gets humiliated. That won't shut his mouth, but hopefully it will deflate his gargantuan egocentrism. This guy has totally lost his mind; he thinks the country revolves around him and his pipe dream issue of illegal immigration. If he believes that so much, he should go for it. By all means Mr. Dobbs, please give us something to laugh at.

January 16, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  14. JK Ashburn, VA

Pompous ass. The only good news is that if he's a real candidate, he has to come off CNN.

January 16, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. frank

Lou Dobbs, you are a great reporter, stick with it. Michael Bloomberg? Give me a break!

Why dont you guys ever talk about Ron Paul???

He will probably not get the republican nomination because he doesnt get media coverage and it seems to be a popularity contest, not a contest based on principles.

He is against pro amnesty, against the war, against the federal reserve, against the IRS, against the real id, against the patriot act, and against the no child left behind act, which you were talking about the other day!!

Open you eyes Lou. Your candidate is right in front of you!!!!!

January 16, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. Richie

I love it when CNN promotes any activity regarding one of their analysts, correspondents, or anchors as if it is news rather than self-promotion. Although, this is the same news site that can't decide if it is a tabloid or a respectable institution. – I vote tabloid.

January 16, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  17. Minor celebrities have egos too.

I feel a little sorry for him; in the video clip, he really seems to take this all very seriously. Hopefully he'll read these comments and see that the majority of people think this is a huge joke.

January 16, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  18. Sandy, St. Paul, MN

We have a 'Lou Dobbs for President' sign in our front window. We'd vote for him in a second, but unfortunately, he's way to smart to dive into the cesspool of liars and corrupt cretins that dwell in DC.

January 16, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  19. Aaron Smithsburg, Maryland

If their is anybody out there that thinks that illegal immigration is what is causing America's woes your completely a warped excuse for a human being. It's the oldest story in the book: The patricians get the finest things wealth can offer because their special and elite, the rest of us slaves get table scraps. Now when their are enough rest of us' out their begging for scraps, we are stronger than the scrap tossers. So what the scrap tossers like to do is cause infighting amongst us so we can lose focus on them. Religion, race, sexuality, commerce, politics are all the same; scaring you into thinking that we need to fight for scraps in the first place. All these super influential families need to be knocked down a peg or two, and I mean all over the world not just here in America, and I think you'll see world peace and prosperity. Until the sheeple wake up from their slumped biases and blind altruism, we as a species can expect more of the same things that we've seen throughout history. Snake-charmers and wise-men will keep rehashing the same dubious plots to keep us entertained but not too happy, efficient but not too healthy, enlightened but not too the truth of our own self worth. Stop hating, we are each others best hope.
    P.S If a mexican immigrant that has a fifth grade education, that can't speak english has taken your job, your probably an idiot. Quit crying and become useful.

January 16, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  20. Paul C, Palmetto Bay, FL

I don't see the person Lou is talking about but I know that Lou would be a better president than anyone running.
    I am convinced that we would be better off if we selected our leaders by lottery. Pure chance would be better than the political hacks we have running.

January 16, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  21. Bob, Florida - RFO

Education:
    In 1974, at age 19, earned her B.A. in political science, Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver
    In 1975, obtained her Master's Degree in political science from the University of Notre Dame.
    first worked in the State Department in 1977, during the Carter administration, as an intern in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
    In 1981, at the age of 26, she received her Ph.D. in Political Science from the Graduate School of International Studies at Denver

Academic Career:
    Stanford University as an Assistant Professor in Political Science (1981–1987).
    Granted tenure and promoted, first to Associate Professor (1987–1993)
    Provost, the chief budget and academic officer of the university (1993–1999)
    First female, first minority, and youngest Provost at Stanford
    Senior Fellow of the Institute for International Studies,
    Sspecialist on the former Soviet Union
    Responsible for managing the university's multi-billion dollar budget

Non-Elected Political Career:
    January 15, 2001, to become National Security Advisor to President George W. Bush.
    Served as Special Assistant to the Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
    National Security Advisor (2001–2005)
    Secretary of State (2005–present)

Help us Condi – help us please!

Yes we will!

What about GOP Candidate & Condoleezza Rice '08!

January 16, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. Tari

I see no reason to "lose it" and/or get totally upset about this. Lou Dobbs is just not someone who should be President. Nor should he be doing the news on CNN. When I began watching CNN 17 years ago (1st Iraq War), it was AMAZING. Just the best. For all these years, I have been a CNN-aholic. I cannot start or end my day without CNN. Recently? It's gotten out of hand. It's not news anymore. It's a crock of stuff. Last night all Wolf Blitzer did was politics (Michigan), while on CNN Headline News we had Erica Hill following the live news conference with the Marines at Camp LeJeune with concern for Lauterbach, etc. A LIVE news conference, and we were subjected to the same old, same old with Wolf. There IS other news in the world besides the presidential race. And, I am a news/political junkie....it was too much. Lou Dobbs? He constantly complains, whines, gets this god-awful ugly look on his face and goes off on tangents. I feel SO sorry for the news people that have to chat it up with him across the desk – he uses them blatantly – they barely finish their reports before he is attacking – interrupts continually any guest who is on the program, rarely, if ever listens to anyone's answers after he asks a question, and THE BEST ONE: it takes him 10 minutes to get to the point and ask the question because he's throwing his own opinion into the first half of the question...Donna Brazille looked like she was falling asleep last night, waiting for the darn question.

Please, make Kitty Pilgrim the host. She asks intelligent questions, and waits and listens for the answers (surprise, surprise) – then responds to their answers.

January 16, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. Andy in ATL

I hate CNN with a passion but watch Dobbs and/or Beck nightly.

That said, I'd vote for a Dobbs/Beck (I just nominated Beck as VP myself) ticket but the problem is if he enters as an independent he'll screw the election up and let Hillary and Bill in just like Perot did in 1992.

January 16, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  24. Matt

I say go for it. This is the best year for just about anybody who meets the requirements to be president to run. So long as you are over 40 and were born in the United States then Run for president. You are automatically as experienced as half the field running right now. And probably would do a better job then half of them anyway if elected.

It will be exactly what we all were told growing up that one day you too may be the president.

Right now I would take an average citizen over career politicians.

January 16, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |