January 16th, 2008

Draft Dobbs group emerges

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/11/06/Dobbs.Nov7/ART.LOU.DC.CNN.jpg caption= "CNN Anchor Lou Dobbs."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Move over Michael Bloomberg. Another famous figure is the subject of a presidential draft movement: CNN's own Lou Dobbs.

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC - a group, according to its Web site, that supports candidates "who make illegal immigration reduction a top priority" - launched a campaign Wednesday designed to convince the CNN anchor to enter the presidential race if a so-called "pro-amnesty" candidate wins the Republican presidential nomination. According to the group, John McCain, Mike Huckabee, and Rudy Giuliani all fall into that category.

William Gheen, the president of ALIPAC, said the group has over 25,000 active supporters spread across all 50 states and an overwhelming majority of them are ready to support a Dobbs presidential bid. Gheen also expressed confidence in Dobbs' wide electoral appeal.

"Lou Dobbs could run and win because he could easily raise the funds and grassroots support he needs to be a historic and viable candidate quickly," he said. The public is eager to rebuke the DC status quo and would quickly rally to Dobbs."

The group has launched an official Web site and is already using it to solicit fundraising pledges for the potential run and showcase Dobbs anti-illegal immigration stance.

Buzz has long surrounded a Lou Dobbs presidential bid in the blogosphere - even more so after Dobbs wrote a column for CNN.com last November in which he hypothesized an "Independent populist" would win the White House. (The Wall Street Journal published a piece soon after that claimed Dobbs was "seriously contemplating" a bid.)

Dobbs has repeatedly said he has no plans to run for president. But speaking with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last week, he refused to rule it out. (Watch Dobbs on a potential presidential bid)

"You never say never, but the fact of the matter is, my commitment, my interest lies in being - doing what I do, which is that of an advocacy journalist on this great network," he said, adding "I'm very flattered by the thoughts."

Gheen acknowledged Dobbs' entrance into the race was unlikely, but said his group is ready to "camp outside his office" should McCain, Huckabee, or Guilaini win the GOP nomination.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Lou Dobbs
  1. Gerrit

Lou Dobbs for President? Have you watched this guy lately. He sometimes gets so angry I fear he will have a stroke or heart attack. Can you see him in charge of the US nuclear arsenal?
    I have stopped watching him as he blasts everyone and never gives a solution to the many (and sometimes imaginary) problems he expounds.
    He is also an egotistical, conceited man – posturing today that not one candidate on the GOP or Dem side is fit to be President and goes on to describe the savior that will enter the race when al seems lost:
    "I can't imagine any one of the current candidates for their party's nomination being chosen by the American people to lead this nation for the next four years," Dobbs wrote in his column. "I believe the person elected a year from now will be an Independent populist, a man or woman who understands the genius of this country lies in the hearts and minds of its people and not in the prerogatives and power of its elites.""I believe next November's surprise will be the election of a man or woman of great character, vision and accomplishment, a candidate who has not yet entered the race," he wrote. – Nice try Lou, but most Americans do not see these qualities in you.

January 16, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  2. Mrs. America

Lou Dobbs would still be an obscure newsman if it weren't for illegal immigrants. He's living high because of them and should be thanking them rather than flapping his lips ad nauseum about the same thing.

At least his show doesn't interrupt the Situation Room anymore now that it's gone to three straight hours. Saves me from turning the tube off when Dobbs shows up and back on again to see the last hour of the Sit Room.

January 16, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  3. ALW

Lou Dobbs is CNN's Bill O' Riley. His reporting is just about as fair and balanced as O' Riley's and with about the same regard for the truth. There is no need for Lou to get into the race, if I wanted a candidate that only talked about illegal immigration I would be rooting for Hunter. I will give Lou one thing, when he can shut up about illegal immigration for thirty seconds and talks about public education he sounds almost half as smart as the rest of the people working for CNN.

January 16, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  4. Sean CA

Dobbs and Beck are the reason CNN no longer has any credibility, and on top of that the shows that do have some small amount of credibility, CNN now tries to push Dobbs and Beck into the conversation as if they are the subject expert on everything and anything. Ever since Turner sold CNN it's been down hill, and even Turner has says so.

January 16, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  5. Raquel

Nothing like a lame personal attack to make your point valid.

Lou Dobbs is a very intelligent man, that has a very impressive bio. He has spearheaded and founded many productive projects, and is owner of many successful business ventures. He has a very broad base of knowledge to bring to a the table, if he were a presidential candidate.

For the less informed, you should read his bio. Lou is not the talking head on the idiot box on a reality TV show. Some consider that quality television and worth wasting their time on. Instead, Mr. Dobbs is a man of substance with the background, intellect and reputation that would carry him into the White House.

January 16, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. GP

Just straight talk and clear views. Lou Dobbs is for America. He is about protecting American jobs and the American wage. Lou wants to stop the flood of jobs leaving America and to stop the unfair trade deals that corporate America continues to push in Washington. We are selling America to the highest bidders.

Lou wants to stop the flood of illegal aliens coming to America to obtain FREE services and benefits at the expense of the American taxpayers. He wants to see our borders and ports secured, to know who is coming to America and why they are coming.

Lou Dobbs is for a strong public education system to increase graduation rates and to give the poor and middle class a secure future.

Lou Dobbs tells it straight . Support Lou Dobbs.

January 16, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. Ryan, Baghdad

The first step at solving the problems of America is to recognize them and discuss them. Lou Dobbs is one of the few independent thinkers in the mainstream media who does this. I would also put Jack Cafferty, Keith Olbermann, and Glenn Beck into this category. I don't believe any of them should run for President, however. I believe they should publicly endorse RON PAUL for President in 2008! Independent thinkers of America: HE IS your candidate. Give him your full support and help restore the Republic.

January 16, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  8. David Allen Linkenheimer, East Brady, Pa.

I wonder where Lou stands on the Money Issue?

Is he status quo (keep quiet about the worthless federal reserve notes) or is he pro constitution and honest money?

We do not want to draft a person who will ignore the constitution on the Money Issue – Coin not Notes.

A Note is never the equivelent of payment.

January 16, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  9. Johann

I'd be as quick to vote for Lou Dobbs as I would be to vote for Rush Limbaugh. If you want the sorts of change he blusters, about without offering any viable solutions, then Lou Dobbs is your man. If you want the sorts of issues he talks about represented by a viable presidential candidate vote for Ron Paul.

Personally, I'll vote for John McCain.

January 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Eric in Massachusetts

Lou Dobbs is an egomaniac. Sorry CNN, stick to real news please. Will Anderson Cooper be next?

January 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Dave in New Mexico

If Walter Cronkite wasn't drafted as a presidnetial candidate I doubt Lou Dobbs will. However, I agree with much of what he says but ,he needs to encourage the country more and more to get out the vote and have our voices heard.

January 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  12. Independent Voter, TN

I used to have a lot of respect for Lou Dobbs back when he was a financial anchor on this network. Since his return to CNN, he has become a self-annointed "personality" and has subsequently lost all credibility with serious and objective viewers. His opinions are invariably angry and of little consequence. Get over yourself, Lou. I don't care for you at all, anymore.

January 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Bruce Behrhorst

I don't think Lou Dobbs can make a difference I like him exactly were he is-at CNN. He points out problems with emotion-Americans need his energy but not on the campaign trail.

The problem in the United States lies in the winner-take-all, two party system of elections which the commitment to vote of the citizen is not mandatory. And the way elections are conducted, counted and monitored in the U.S.
    America is still a small 'D' democracy. Until the major problems of election and elections execution are corrected. America will not have leaders that best represent the sentiment of the voter.

January 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  14. Wilbur Peters

I would tend to favor Lou over most of the bunch we have at this time.
    How he would fix the mess our country is in?
    What method he would use to do it?
    Where would the money come from?
    These questions have not been answered by any of those running now.
    We need a successful plan, with a proper finish.
    Go to it Lou, it can not hurt.

January 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  15. Dave McGrath

Give me a break – Lou is a looser. His comments are pure vitriol and make my stomach churn. Of course... a churning stomach is why I go to horror flicks... But that is all Lou is – a populist horror. A vote for Lou is like a vote for Rush. Ughh to both.

January 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. Becky

Lou Dobbs is the biggest blowhard on CNN....he is so one dimensional...immigration....amnesty....immigration...amnesty.....I wish he would just get cancelled but I guess he is one of the bosses at CNN....When it is time that his show is on CNN gets switched off.......Thank GOD Hardball is on at that time....and that picture doesn't even look like him!!!! Oh yeah...since he had his tonsils out his voice has changed, looks like he got new teeth too.....good...he needed them!!

January 16, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. Daniel

How a serious netork could have such a person like Mr. Dobbs?
    In think people deserve news an information delivered fearly and
    trustworthy. Not xenophofic or false data about a problem not
    created yesterday. big problems will not be solved with anger or
    frustation. Leadership is required in order to listen to ALL and
    Mr.Independent is not a viable one.
    CNN please do something!

January 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  18. harmony1812

OMG The republicans are really, really desperate.

January 16, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  19. John S. Maine

This article must be spoof, right?

January 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  20. mike, dallas, TX

Lou Dobbs for president? That is insane.
    Anybody running for president needs a healthy dose of ego. But Lou Dobbs' talk of running for president is a result of a disproportionate size of megalomania. Just because a bunch of immigrant hater sympatheizers send you e mails that soothe your ego does not mean your leadership is needed and you should run for the presidency. Who is next? Glenn Beck? Bill O'Reiley? Give me a break!

At the start of the Iraq war Lou Dobbs stopped becoming a business news anchor and became a cheer leader inviting retired Generals and defense secretaries on his show adding another coverage to the already nauseating 24 hr cable coverage of the war. At that time I e mailed him posing a question whether he was acting as an anchor or if he was using the program as a platform to run for office. He replied it was none of my businness and he will run the show what ever way he likes. I guess my instinct was right.

But it bothers me a great deal when news personalities use the mass media given to them to inform the public end up using it to advance their own political future and ambition. I don't think that is fair. Can you imagine one of the presidential candidates having the opportunity to build his platform for 4 years on a daily TV program for free before announcing to run while others spend millions of dollars to get a one or two minute spot to get their message through? If Lou Dobbs really cares for the middle income family and for America why doesn't he quit his job at CNN and serve as a council man, a mayor or even a lecturer in a university for few years and then run like anybody else at a level field? That will tell us if Lou dobbs cares more about middle income America or about Lou Dobbs himself.

January 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  21. jay

Oooh! Do I get to call Dobbs a right-wing "moonbat"?

January 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  22. Bryan, Illinois

No matter where you fall on immigration, all parties can agree that the current "system" is essentially broken and unimplemented by the current government. We must make progress on immigration. However, to consider a single issue candidate for the presidency is awfully myopic. There are other things going on in the world besides the US southern border.

January 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  23. Walt, Belton, TX

This is a group that believes in political correctness. This is a definition of political corretness.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

January 16, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. halcyon24

Don't listen to the negativity Lou. I watch you consistently and agree with you about 95% of the time. The ones on here bashing either 1 – don't watch you and just think of you as a reporter (Judy) or 2 – afraid you would shake things up for their candidate.
    Let's hear some serious plans and you got my vote!
    Now I'm going to go find out where to sign up!

Dobbs/Anderson 08

January 16, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  25. swissdiver

Lou Dobbs's demonizing of immigrants is all he knows to do day in and day out. He cannot be a president of an immigrant nation. There is too much racist blood running through his vains. I'm sick and tired of him talking about his anti-llegal immigration stance a million times a day like it is the only major issue facing America. His so called "concern" for the middle class is all a pretext for his opportunistic ambitions. To me he's worst than Sean Hannity, Bill O'reilly, Anne Coulter and Michelle Malkin. He's a good-for-nothing halfwit nincompoop and no way Jose, I am going to vote for this unhooded opportunist.

January 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |