January 16th, 2008

Draft Dobbs group emerges

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/11/06/Dobbs.Nov7/ART.LOU.DC.CNN.jpg caption= "CNN Anchor Lou Dobbs."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Move over Michael Bloomberg. Another famous figure is the subject of a presidential draft movement: CNN's own Lou Dobbs.

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC - a group, according to its Web site, that supports candidates "who make illegal immigration reduction a top priority" - launched a campaign Wednesday designed to convince the CNN anchor to enter the presidential race if a so-called "pro-amnesty" candidate wins the Republican presidential nomination. According to the group, John McCain, Mike Huckabee, and Rudy Giuliani all fall into that category.

William Gheen, the president of ALIPAC, said the group has over 25,000 active supporters spread across all 50 states and an overwhelming majority of them are ready to support a Dobbs presidential bid. Gheen also expressed confidence in Dobbs' wide electoral appeal.

"Lou Dobbs could run and win because he could easily raise the funds and grassroots support he needs to be a historic and viable candidate quickly," he said. The public is eager to rebuke the DC status quo and would quickly rally to Dobbs."

The group has launched an official Web site and is already using it to solicit fundraising pledges for the potential run and showcase Dobbs anti-illegal immigration stance.

Buzz has long surrounded a Lou Dobbs presidential bid in the blogosphere - even more so after Dobbs wrote a column for CNN.com last November in which he hypothesized an "Independent populist" would win the White House. (The Wall Street Journal published a piece soon after that claimed Dobbs was "seriously contemplating" a bid.)

"I can't imagine any one of the current candidates for their party's nomination being chosen by the American people to lead this nation for the next four years," Dobbs wrote in his column. "I believe the person elected a year from now will be an Independent populist, a man or woman who understands the genius of this country lies in the hearts and minds of its people and not in the prerogatives and power of its elites."

"I believe next November's surprise will be the election of a man or woman of great character, vision and accomplishment, a candidate who has not yet entered the race," he wrote.

Dobbs has repeatedly said he has no plans to run for president. But speaking with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last week, he refused to rule it out. (Watch Dobbs on a potential presidential bid)

"You never say never, but the fact of the matter is, my commitment, my interest lies in being - doing what I do, which is that of an advocacy journalist on this great network," he said, adding "I'm very flattered by the thoughts."

Gheen acknowledged Dobbs' entrance into the race was unlikely, but said his group is ready to "camp outside his office" should McCain, Huckabee, or Guilaini win the GOP nomination.

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Lou Dobbs
  1. Scott Alexander

Ahhh..Lou Dobbs for President? Who next? Mr. Pat "Electric fence for a border" Buchanan? David Dukes? You're pretty much headed down that slippery slope if you think that Dobbs is a good candidate. Then again, the group pushing for his "drafting" isn't really known to be a group that cares about treating people humanely. Please don't post stories like this CNN, its depressing enough that you even allow his hateful views on the air (and Glenn Beck's too).

January 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  2. ash

NO COMMENTS. It is waste of time and energies. Nothing like this will happen.
    One comment though I intend to agree. Why are we not giving much attention to Ron Paul? He has different views and economy centred from the beginning, at least he shall get equal weightage and coverage on all channels and comments so that even if he does not win primaries or nominated, his views can enlighten more among us and the candidates and force them to commit what is good for the nation.

January 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  3. Teacher

First of all,he didnt say he would run and I doubt he ever would.Secondly the people in both parties are going to get exactly what they deserve,someone that will divid the country even more and sell us out to the One World Government Elites.Good luck you brainless morons.

January 17, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  4. ERNIE

LOU DOBBS IS A RACIST.

January 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  5. Buzz, Idaho

I wrote Lou a E-mail months ago and said that he was my first choice if he was to run for President. He says things like they are and stands up for our rights. Thats more than we are seeing from our bought and payed for candidates on both sides of the fence.

January 17, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  6. ERNIE

LOU DOBBS IS A RACIST CAUSE, HE ALL FOR THE REPUBLCAN SIDE
    PUTTING THE DEMOCRATS DOWN. I USE SEE HIM EVERY DAY,NO MORE.
    LOU DOBBS STICK TO NEWS. HE USE TO WORK IN CITRUS COMPANY WHERE A LOT OF I LLEGALS WORK HE DID'NT TURN THEM IN. WHY?

LOU DOBBS IS NOT AN AMERICAN CITZEN . HE ALSO CAME AS A IMMIGRANT.

January 17, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  7. Jason_M

Flavor of the month.

January 17, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  8. fhl

What a joke .... laugh by turning off CNN!

January 17, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  9. Lorenz, Queens, NY

Never

January 17, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  10. Trang, Fremont, CA

Lou Dobbs is too angry for me. No thanks.

January 17, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  11. Jeremiah Grant, Phoenix, AZ

Notice which candidates this group considers pro-amnesty candidates – John McAmnesty, Mike "Liberal Sanctuary State" Huckabee, and Rudy "Sanctuary City" Giuliani.

January 17, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  12. Kay

Most people I know would vote for Lou in a heartbeat. He is smart and understands the frustrations of most citizens. Lou has a right to be arrogant–he's a lot smarted than Bush–you know, the one who is the king of arrogance.

January 17, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  13. zero

Who he's describing as an 'independant populist' is basically Barack O.

January 17, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  14. JR

Lou Dobbs would make a great president.

January 17, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  15. Another Steve

I don't believe Lou has any plans to run . Others are merely trying to draft him.. He is far better doing what he does, which to my mind has never been the nightly news. He is bringing up problems that we American citizens and legal residents share that politicians aren't answering and just plain ignoring. It isn't Lou's job to come up with the answers, that's what we have elected legislators for . Well, I don't know about all you folks, but I'm thankful for someone like Lou doing this as we Americans are pretty regularly blown off by our representatives, and they ARE selling us down the river to special interests.

January 17, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  16. Mike, Milwaukee, WI

Dobbs is too angry all the time to run for President. The angry candidate always loses. (See Howard Dean 2004 and John McCain in 2000)

January 17, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  17. J

Lou Dobbs is a reactionary conservative whom had no following until he decided to skew facts on immigration and now all of the sudden has a cult following, cnn only hired him because news is less important than ratings, thanks to O'Reilly of course. i remember when cnn was worth watching, now the top stories are Brittany Spears and immigrant bashing, that's not news, why doesn't he report out sourcing of rea; jobs not meager ones that Americans won't do anyways? Possibly because that doesn't bring in ratings and CNN sponsors wouldn't approve last time somebody tried to single out a minority for a countries financial woes it led a to a holocaust, so possibly he should leave the blame everyone first crowd and use reflection as a real way of solving problems and stop picking on those without a voice, he's a terrible human being and as a fellow journalist it makes me sick to share his profession.

January 17, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  18. Richard

I would vote for lou dobbs in a second

January 17, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  19. Ken-Caldwell

AFter reading these comments, I am so happy to see that I am not the only one that thinks Dobbs is nothing but a blowhard. CNN has started to annoy me over the last year. They are seemingly out of touch with what the viewers/readers really want to pay attention to, and scew the issues.

Dobbs, as it has already been stated numerous times, uses the stage of his show to tout his rants, and doesn't post any emails that conflict with his complaints. Sometimes I watch his show for entertainment value.....just like that O'Reilly character from the other fair balanced news network.

Lou, it is true that the two party system has failed America, But your one man parade is really just a reflection of your over-inflated ego. Personally I think your an idiot.

I also love your little polls at the end of your show. What a joke! CNN should be ashamed to allow this guy to continue to infect our airways, and if his supporters understood what he was really about, that would have a different view.

It is impossible to simply deport 20 million illegals. I'm ticked that they are here, and I am ticked at the Govt. for allowing it to happen. But the situation is much more complicated that Mr. Dobbs suggests. NOt to mention immoral. To suggest that hotel maids and spinach pickers are depleting American Jobs is a very very silly notion.

I am glad that immigration is not the forefront on voters minds, because it only fuels this idiot's mission for nothingness. Lou....please go back to reporting financial reports, and earn back the respect you once had. You have now become a circus act, and I personally feel sorry for you.

Politicians won't go on your show, because your acting like an idiot. For all of the Dobbs Cult....WAKE UP!!!! AND GET A LIFE

January 17, 2008 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  20. no one

Does he ever talk about anything other than illegals? How can anyone be twisted enough to think the only problem with this country is the illegal alian problem? Why would anyone give this media hound so much attention? I don't get Americans but I guess that it makes sense, after all isn't American Idol in it's seventh season... pathetic.

January 17, 2008 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  21. Paul

Rightly so! Lou is saying what we wish the social critics would have been saying for a long time. Yesterday he said the admiistration is doing nothing to curb the impending recession. The government is doing nothing to end the war and the government is doing nothing about stopping illegal immigration. He's right and it's about time. The journalists should be saying what we all say at the water cooler. It's about time. And I sure hope they're listening in Washington. America is a great country and yesterday Lou said Europe is more democratic than we are...he's right! Again, it's about time the media talks sensibly and honestly to us. If he runs for President, I hope he doesn't just become a spoiler, because the political parties are some pretty heavy duty well-oiled machines and these kind of political fairy tales just don't come true. Meanwhile, I hope he'll continue to inspire and raise hopes and say those remarkable things, which are really only things that Americans from many walks of life have been saying for about eight years now.

January 17, 2008 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  22. Robert

I would vote for the guy.. He is a far better choice than what both parties are offering. I doubt though this would ever materialize

January 17, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  23. Beckster

Lou is an entertainer, not a leader or statesman.

There is only one conservative out there who truly has the intellect and the ideas to save the Republican party and defeat the democratic nominee. Unfortunately he has chosen to stay out of the race. His name is NEWT. He has made some bad personal decisions (i.e., cheating on his spouse) and the fact that his first name is reptillian, will keep the best candidate from running. I dare say that half of the conservatives out there would vote for Newt if his name was on the ballot even if he never ran an ad or made a speech. I personally would pay top dollar to see him in a debate with Shrillary or Osama Bin Obama. It would be a massacre.

January 17, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  24. Ken

Narcissistic. Nothing more and nothing less. This is the best description of Lou Dobbs. Well unless you want to mention racist, bigoted, insufferable ego-maniac. He doesn't represent the middle-class-–he represents his egomania.

I used to listen to his show. But listen here advertisers...I've no longer tune in and I suspect many others are tuning out also.

January 17, 2008 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  25. Independent in IA

Talk about sending this nation "down the tube"....interesting idea but not too practical.

In order to lead, one must have followers....in this case, the Congress of the United States, the Judiciary Branch and the American populace. Well, okay, then, he's got a lot of the last group. Not enough by a long shot, but what the hey...

Unfortunately, he has spared no members of the other two groups and is equally detested by both. Meaning, of course, that they would block every idea and proposal he could possibly come up with....assuming of course he could even come up with any. As glib and forthright as he is about the issues concerning this nation, he has YET to come up with any form of viable solution.

Until he does, even though I'm a faithful viewer, my vote will go to the individual I feel will do the most adequate job, and not someone who may have a position on an issue (which can be adequately described as "outraged by.....") but no plans or contingencies to correct the faults.

January 17, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |