January 18th, 2008

Clinton puts Magic Johnson front and center

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/18/art.magic.gi.jpg caption=" Bill Clinton and Magic Johnson have hit the campaign trail together."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Basketball legend Earvin "Magic" Johnson suggests Barack Obama is a "rookie" in a new Hillary Clinton campaign ad launched in South Carolina Friday, one week before the southern state holds its Democratic primary.

"We won our first game on a last-second shot," the former Los Angeles Lakers point guard says in the ad. "I was so hyped. But the captain of my team said, 'Take it easy rookie, it's a long season, it's a long road to the championship.' He was right."

(According to NBA.com, that sage veteran mentioned in the ad who offers advice to a young Johnson is none other than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who happens to be publicly supporting Obama.)

"Whether it's winning championships or a president who can lead us back to greatness, I'll always want the most prepared and experienced person leading my team," Johnson also says. "That's why I'm asking you to join me in voting for Hillary Clinton for President.

The basketball great fails to point out the Lakers won the NBA championship his rookie season and he was named Finals MVP.

Johnson endorsed Clinton earlier in the year and campaigned at her side in the days leading up to the Iowa caucuses. He has also been campaigning with Bill Clinton in Nevada this week, and taking subtle digs at the Illinois senator.

"We need somebody who's not preaching hope," he said at one stop on Thursday. "We need somebody who understands that there's a problem, and they're preaching solutions."

- CNN's Peter Hamby and Alex Mooney

1. lookforward

why r u guys so hate on Hillary? U guys r hating for nothing and nonesense! Hillary is a human being and i accept that she made some mistake in the past but did at least she try to recover from her mistake. How long she has been fighting and helping fo America where she was born. And did she ever bow out?? Come on guys she is a fighter who will never give up easily which is a necessary leadership for US. And don't forget that US is a leader in the world. Do u guys ready for a president who has not so much experienced in politic and economic?? And do u really ready for the US president is "Barrack Hussein Obama" whose ex religon is Muslim. And do u guys dreamming about oh if Obama is president, US will be safe from Al Queda??? If there is 9/11 again, how will he respond to his ex religon??? Wake up guys!!!

January 20, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  2. sairefgm

mAGIC

weLL SAID, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SHE IS DOING. IT IS AN OLD GAME AND IT IS CALLED DIVIDE AND CONQUER. That is why and I am telling ilt like it is and the world will see

HILLARY CLINTON WILL NEVER BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Honorable discharged veteran.

January 20, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Smylie

Interesting Magic! It's unfortunate because so many people are misled. Ca native, I am sorry, but the polls aren't showing most African Americans are supporting Obama, actually, the polls show that they are supporting Hillary, mostly because of celebrities and past civil rights leaders who are endorsing Hillarya nd spitting the same crap about experience. I am just wondering how does being married to a President give you experience?

My husband is a partner in a law firm, does that mean I can go and try a case in front of a judge and jury now? I am just kidding, but maybe not, I would love to make some extra money since I don't have to go to school and I can just gain experience through osmosis. Hmmmm...what a concept. Just like G. W. Bush gained expereince through his father. Hell, let's not even hold elections, or have colleges / training programs, let's just give everyone credit for their family member's work. That would really help the economy!

January 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. Sean, Santa Barbara, CA

Hey Truth hurts,

I'm a war veteran, I want to point out that serving does not give you a stronger opinion then anyone else like people who have not served. I want you to actually think about how many times did you get the opportunity to think for yourself in the military. The military gives you blinders, you follow pace with the people around you. It is great that you served, but it in no way trumps anyone elses opinion, if that is what you think then I argue that your service is unneeded because people serve the military to protect the rights that this country gives, such as the right for free speech.

Military service does not give your opinion higher precedent.

January 22, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  5. Secure life with full insurance policy

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

April 18, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |