January 19th, 2008

Obama, Clinton campaigns trade voter suppression charges

(CNN) - Hours after Clinton campaign officials told reporters they were worried about instances of voter intimidation in Nevada, the Obama campaign made similar allegations.

In a statement, campaign manager David Plouffe said there had been more than 200 separate reports of “incidents of trouble” at caucus locations, including early closings, a shortage of registration forms, and random and non-uniform I.D. checks.

“This is in addition to the Clinton campaign’s efforts to confuse voters and call into question the at-large caucus sites which clearly had an affect on turnout at these locations,” said Plouffe. “These kinds of Clinton campaign tactics were part of an entire week’s worth of false, divisive, attacks designed to mislead caucus-goers and discredit the caucus itself.”

He added that the campaign had a hotline number for concerned voters to call, and planned to investigate all of the incidents reported Saturday.

Related video: Bill Clinton talks tactics

–CNN’s Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Nevada
  1. Terry

Annie you are the one that is wrong on the Clinton's I am 50 years old and remember them well. I did not vote for President Clinton the first time. I voted for President Bush 1 the greatest President ever. But under President Clinton I made more money in my 401 K then any other time. I did vote for him the second time. I was not going to vote for Sen Clinton because frankly I beleive woman can be to emotional at the wrong times in leadership postions.

But again it was Sen Obama the man I wanted to vote for had his people start the race card. Stating history will be made if a black man wins, having Collin Powell get on TV and saying history will be made if Sen Obama wins because he is a black man. Having Oprah Winfrey who has always supported the Clinton's when they were running against white people come out an support him and the first reason she gave he is a proud black man. Who started the race card. The Sen Obama camp new full well if they could get it started the black community being proud of there heritage would jump on board and run with them. Until the Obama camp started the race war the Clinton camp had the majority of the black support in America and in South Carolina. So who benified from the race card? You really think the Clintons thought they would benifit from playing the race card? What disapointed me as a strong Obama supporter is that until he played the card he was running on change and how he was going to change America and I bought into that idea and said he is the future. I bought his book and became more interested because he was not like Sharpton and Jackson he had ideas for all of Americans and he was a proud man. Then he became the typical minority and he and his camp decided they can not win on change so they abandoned that and went to old school politics and said vote for me I am a proud black man and the Clinton's are racisit and thats when they lost me and my camp.

Sen Obama must remeber he is a proud white man also. He is 50% black and 50% white so that makes him as much white as black but you never hear him or his camp say he is a proud white man because that wont sell and that wont get him votes he thinks and if a white person did what he and his camp was doing it would be called racisit. So all of the African Americans in your camp should be proud of themselves because they have now made you a typical cadidate and change coming from Sen Obama means only a black man in the white house but politics as useal.

Congratulations on being a proud black man and I bet your mom and grand parents are very proud of you for that. You should have stayed a proud American. If Sen Obama wins just because he is African American me and my camp will vote republican even though that means staying in Iraq. Well done by the black community you have found a way to tare the democratic party apart and the republicans are just setting back and licking there chops and adding fuel to the fire because they know the party is now split thanks to Sen Obama and his camp and the African American community.

Sen Obama go back to the right issues you first started running on and what we loved about you because just being black will not make you a good President just like just being white, indian, asain. Good ideas make a good President and representing all of the people not just one group makes a good President. I can be won back over but it will depend on what is said and happens in South Carolina on the race issue. If the majority of African Americans in South Carolina all of a sudden now support you because you are African American then the party is dead and my vote is dead. I want to hear issues again

January 20, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. tina

January 20, 2008 8:45 pm

This will never get posted, but here goes.
    Hello Annie-

Well I have you beat by 1 year. And NO I don't believe everything Bill Clinton says, but I 'm not voting for Bill, HE IS NOT RUNNING! In this instance I tend to believe him since he had the 8 voters there with him.
    Second of all, do your homework. Clinton made her statement during a rally not at a debate. I for one did not find anything wrong with her statement that MLK's dream was realized when LBJ signed it into law..It did take a president to do that. If the bill had gone to the Senate Judidiary Committe it would have been held there, but don't take my word for it look it up. So nothing she said was in any way racist. It was a Obama supporter who brought race into this election and Obama himself said during the Nevada debate that he let his staff fuel the flames.

I also remember how things were during the Clinton Adm. Economy, balanced and surplus budget and no war. That's what I remember. Is he the first president to lie or cheat while in the White House? If you are indeed are 57 years old then you know he's not.

Besides do you really want someone in the White House who admits to have spoke pot and done blow in charge of our weapons? He can't decide to vote YEA/NAY on votes in the Senate, you think he can decide matters that matter to the American people?

If questions and answers are rehearsted before a debate then the Obama campaign better spend more time rehearsing because all he does during the debates is stutter and fumble for answers. We already have such a person in the white house, I don't want another one.

January 20, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. Brian

january 20, 2008

Thank you Peggy. I don't remember the name of the paper that first reported the claims. I didn't realize it was reported on the national news since I have since stopped watching them. My point is that when the Clinton's were claiming suppression Obama's camp denied it. Now that they lost Nevada their tune has changed. I watched the caucauses at the Caesar's Palace and all I could think was that I would never want to vote that way. I'm sure both candidates lost some votes due to this process.

January 20, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. dollfc61

I did find it interesting that with all the hoopla over the caucuses in Nevada that there were only 11,000 democrats that voted? The winner on the Republican ticket had over twice that many votes alone. I thought that with the teachers and the culinary workers unions as well as the people of Nevada, along with all the excitement, would turn out more voters than that. Regardless of who's camp you are with, doesnt that seem a bit of a low turnout?

January 20, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. Murry

Billary's campaign tactics are divisive and underhanded. Why make a stink at the caucus if you've already won the popular vote in Nevada and the media has your picture on the front page? It just makes Billary look bad. The Republicans are enjoying this.

January 21, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Terry

Eric you are the one that is wrong. If you read my entire email you will understand that, Oprah Windfrey played the first race card by saying I am hear to say I am supporting a proud black man for President an African American we all can be proud of and one that will make history and change race for ever. It was Collin Powell who went on Fox News and said only in America can history be made and a proud black man can be President. It was Bennett a Republican who sat on CNN during the Nevada primary and threw every jab at the race card he could to keep it going knowing that the Republican party would continue to fuel it to there advantage.

It was members of the black congressional caucas a racist group by name that are supporting Sen Obama and said they are proud to be supporting an African American and the chance at making history. Not one talked about his qualifications which he has many, it was more important to lie to the American people to say he is a black man. Sen Obama is half white and I hope he is just as proud to be that. But being a proud white man just wont get him as much attension, enough votes or better yet if he is a proud white man he won't make history will he. Sen Obama run on your qualifications the reason I and my team supported you. You and your team need to stop playing the race card because if it does become black and white only 15% of the voting population is African American you will run out of votes. You need to stay diverse and be a proud American period.

Eric if you really think the Clintons a white couple thought they would get an advantage over a proud black man by playing the race card you have a problem accepting the facts and reality. There is absolutly no advantage to a white person raising a race card when they had the majority of the African American vote until your team brought up race. Sen Obama and only Sen Obama gains by playing the race card or does he? It's sad how the Afican American community has forgotten what the Clintons did for them and jumped ship because it is more important to support a proud black man then a friend who has helped them for years. It is more important to make history then to vote for qualification.

I am one Sen Obama supporter along with my team that is gone because Sen Obama's team played the race card. We are joining the Clinton team. Two member of my team are my sister and my brother who are half Afican American and half White and are proud of both races and have never ever used race as a reason to get ahead or as a reason to fail. They are proud Americans that used to support Sen Obama.

Stop the games Sen Obama, stop the game because if you continue to play it not only will the Afican American community lose the gender community will lose also and the Republicans will be in and we will have more of Iraq and maybe Iran and the middle class will be gone.

January 21, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |