January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

I've been saying this for months, too. At 72, ANYONE is too old to start this job!

McCain is flat-out too old, no matter how you slice it and dice it. His policy ideas, his war plans, his economic plans, his immigration flip/flop plans.

You simply cannot look at George W Bush and see how fast he's aged under this stressful job (as did Bill Clinton) and believe that John McCain at 72-76 would be able to hold down that job successfully for 4 years. You KNOW he couldn't for 8 years and THAT is one solid reason to NOT vote McCain. You can't reverse age.

Huckabee isn't too old, but he isn't Presidential or intelligent enough. Period. We need a President of the United States, not a Pastor at the pulpit or comedian on a stage.

Look into Romney, if you're smart enough to. He's the best candidate with the most integrity, has the best plans, the best experience, the largest & best family, and is clearly the best communicator of any of them.

January 20, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. James Izzard

This world and this network has reached a new low when it depends on the political advice of Chuck Norris. It is proof of the free ride that Huckabee is getting.

How about this, James Izzard says that Mike Huckabee is too stupid and idiotic to be president.

January 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. B

Mr. John “ITS NOT AMNESTY, THEY HAVE TO PAY A SMALL FINE” McCain could never win the Presidency.

The media is doing its best to help the Democrats via John McCain. The Democrats would love to see a John McCain nomination

A vote for McCain or Huckabee is a vote for the Democrats and economic failure.

January 20, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Yousuf-NY

John McCain is more like George Bush, and Americans definitely don't need that kind of president. Also, McCain is 72 YEARS OLDDDD...it would be obsurd to have a president who will be againg insanely, 72 would seem more like 80 in about two years....THAT IS NOT WHAT AMERICA NEEDs. Lets be realistic here, we might be going to war with IRAN ( thanks to idiot bush), do we need 80 year old McCain making a decision for us? I DONT THINK SO....Hillary/Obama ticket....

January 20, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Tiffany

I'm glad they think they're so clever & funny. A reminder to them that Ronald Reagan was 70 when elected. Not a McCain supporter but am tired of Huckabee's dirty & cheep shot politics.

January 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. Bob

I don't agree with Chuck Norris on very much but this time I'd have to say I agree with him totally.
    I really liked John McCain in the Primaries for the 2000' Republican Nomination and wished that he hadn't beaten George Bush for the Nomination but now his time in my opinion and I guess in Chuck Norris's too has come and gone.

By the way I still would have voted for Al Gore in the General Election but my suspicion is McCain would have beaten Gore pretty soundly with the Independent's Vote and we would have never had to go through the Crap in Florida or needed the Supreme court to intervene in making the Choice as to who was going to represent the Voters of this country as President.

The Court in my opinion "screwed up" that decision "Big Time".

January 20, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. EB Rideou,t Gorgia

If Mike Huckabee thinks this dimwit adds anything to his chances of winning, he needs some serious counseling.

Chuck Norris, or anyone as obnoxious, just takes away from a candidate's credibility.

January 20, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. JoeBrown

Amen! I'm glad someone said it....

January 20, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. adam m

Chuck Norris is only 4 years younger than McCain.

January 20, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. arfisher, Midlothian, VA

Nice
    Optimistic
    Above Board
    Christian Campaign

"a civil and a good and a decent campaign."

January 20, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. ckhagen

what an idiot. I hope Chuck keeps it up... sounds like a good ol' big mouthed way to lose it for his buddy. I don't like McCain either, but that's just low...

January 20, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. james

funny !!!

January 20, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Ray

Who is this guy? All I see it teeth?

January 20, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Democratvi

he's too old

January 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. MJMotley

What an uninformed moron(Chuck), intimating that in his 3to1 presidenctial aging theory that he thinks it probable that McCain could'nt survive a full term or until age 75/84. He apparently is completely unaware that Mama McCain's mental faculties are twice as acute as his appparently are, and shes' an amazingly spry and physically active 98 years old and may outlive Chuck himself by all appearances. His support of the Huckster not with-standing, the Chuckster should stick to breaking boards with his head, as that appears to be what it is most qualified for.

January 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. RAMBO McCain

Rambo McCain maybe old but he can still push the launch button on a nuclear weapon.

Hucabee and McCain are so in love they compilment each other all the time.

McCain and Huckabee have a secret agreement a backroom deal to work together not attacking each other, but going after economey Romney and I did nothing before 911 Rudy.

January 20, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Robbie

I find it funny that someone that was born in March 1940 is calling someone born in August 1938 – "too old". So that must mean that Norris is also 'too old' to be considered a reliable source of anything?

January 20, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Dan Kramer

Other than making some terrible B movies, who cares what him and the bible thumper think. John McCain is a real hero, not a movie hero. I'm not a McCain supporter for the Presidency, but this comment was way off base.

January 20, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. Terry

Reagan was 69 when he won the presidency and nearly 78 when he left office. AND McCain is much tougher–not to mention a true uniter, working with Republicans AND Democrats, something this country hasn't seen in years–than Reagan ever thought of being.

Huckabee should have taken control of the situation and put a stop to Norris's age-discrimination rhetoric. I wish actors, musicians, etc. would keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics. Don't they realize they alienate half their fan base when they say such stupid things?

January 20, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. Brian

Hmm...Sounds like age discrimination. Too bad. I used to think Chuck was cool.

January 20, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. bob

BOB II
    I THINK THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES WILL SOLVE YOUR
    AGE CONCERNS

January 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  22. Nancy Dority

You know John McCain may be 71 and to my recollection we have had other presidents who were just as aged or for a better liking to words, seasoned from living life, such as Reagan. However to underestimate "wisdon" obtained by age and knowing wisdon can enable or empower you, could very well be the ticket that gets you elected. It would not be the first time that wisdom was the ingedient that was needed to address the issues facing our nation today. I suspect the voters are going to identify the wisdom that John McCain has obtained and take that under consideration when choosing their next president. I know I'm going to take that consideration under advisement and select my candidate wisely.

Nancy Dority

January 20, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  23. Jenny, Paxton, MA

Huck and Mccain are both good guys, no they are not perfect but good guys... KEEP GOING HUCK ALL THE WAY to the general election. i know lots of democrats who will vote for you!

pssst. let's keep them going and help them eat each other's lunch.

January 20, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. randy, st. louis, mo

Norris is too old for his B movie action non-thrillers. Huckabee is too holy, judgemental and needs braces. (since we are attacking appearance over record)

I am for Clinton anyways. I use to not like her at all and glad we got to see so many debates so I could get to know and feel comfortable with my vote. I never thought in my life time I would have the opportunity to vote for a woman or a black man....that is the greatness of our country, not Chuck Norris.

January 20, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. Oluseyi

Really? We're listening to Chuck now.

January 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |