January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Jay Bee, USA

I think McCain needs to announce his Vice President. While most candidates will do just fine, I would need to know who McCain's Vice President will be to vote for him.

I talked with a lady and she said, "I am 85 years old and I won't vote for McCain. It's not that his mind is gone, it's the energy level. When you get old your mind is still sharp, but you just don't have the energy. I imagine it takes a lot of energy to be President. McCain doesn't have it."

I wish McCain the best, but I shall not be voting for him or consider him until he announces a VP.

January 20, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  2. WillReadmore

Repos want to decry Opera for making a political statement.

Then, they bow down to NORRIS!!!

Huckabee wants to be know as holier than all the other christian candidates, yet picks a sidekick who is noted for the swift kick to the face as the best solution to nearly any problem.

Laughable.

January 20, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. arm

Granted McCain may be the older candidate... but he is the strongest for the Republican Party, with a high level of integrity. Besides, it has been reported that he keeps himself in good shape and health.

January 20, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. chris

Maybe John wouldn't look so old if Chuck would have busted him out of prison a few years early. Oh wait that was a crappy movie of his! McCain is the only republican who stands a chance of beating the dems. Besides if Bloomburgs waiting, if McCain doesn't get in, that opens up a lot of indy votes. Take it to the BANK.

January 20, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  5. NYC

(Groan).

Chuck – Back to your info-mercials

Huckleberry Hound – Back to the pulpit

McCain – Back to Washington, but to the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue this time.

January 20, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. MTGMARC

Chuck Norris,a Hollywood fake tough guy insults McCain, a REAL tough guy and war hero. Its time for all Hollywood types interjecting their delirious opinions about politics to return to their fantasy worlds. As for "Hick-a-bee", we don't need another Gomer Pyle as president, we don't need a republican Jimmy Carter....

January 20, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. steve a wilmington

It seems like CNN is using this to make John McCain a victim. You never hear about anything positive about Romney. Just McCain...McCain...McCain..and here is a sympathy ploy story. Look at the delegates, Huckabee has no chance, so quit covering his camp. John McCain is not liked by conservatives and won on independents in South Carolina. Start reporting success, not bickering. What about Romney...anything we can do to mention his name a few more times instead of the endless Huckabee, McCain stories...these men are through...no one really cares about them nationally.

January 20, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. Chris

And I care what Chuck Norris thinks – Why, exactly?

January 20, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  9. Porter

McCain's mother still campaigns for him. So I don't see his age as a problem.

As for Chuck Norris... a funny Huckabee ad with the Norris jokes would have been nice. Now, it's just weird. He's wih Huckabee seemingly 24 hours a day and not really adding anything to the political discourse.

January 20, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  10. Jan

Now that so many others have voiced their opinions, how about letting Norris have his own? Or is it possible that no verbal gafes have ever been made by those who are so condescending? Chuck's comment might not have been appropriate, but come on!

January 20, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  11. Blaubs123

You call this news???????? Some actor weighing in on how he chooses presidential candidates. Don't vote for McCain because Chuck Norris thinks he's old!!!!! I thought we were an advanced and civilized society. I guess not.

January 20, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. Anne L

Dump Norris in that plaid shirt he never changes. I am just waiting for Norris to open his large mouth to sink this candidate.

January 20, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. Xenu the Air Force Ranger

From what I've read of Chuck Norris, he may have the capacity to turn back time, thereby affording Sen McCain a few more years of youth. After all, Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...he decides what time it is.

January 20, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  14. Babasuba

McCain probably is too old for the Senate as well. Hopefully, the people of AZ will send him to the retirement home next time.

Who am I kidding. If not now, look for John McCain with a walker, or wheelchair in 2012.

As someone once noted:

" The only cure for Potomac fever, is fromaldehyde. 🙂

January 20, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  15. john

what is norris complaining about? Huckabee at best can only be vice president after failing in South Carolina. He should want McCain to win, choose him as VP, and then croake.

This is just a case of people trying to justify an already held position. People who already dont like McCain just say he's too old to try and convince others. If the man is not fit to be president, why stop there? maybe he's unfit to be senator? Unfit to drive? unfit to hold a job? Unfit to breath our oxygen?

Also consider that both Clinton and Bush were overwhelmed and and probably unprepared for the presidency. Not likely to happen with McCain. Hes been on so many oversight committees i don't think he's going to be told to much information he didn't already know. Not necessarily gonna vote McCain, but he's by far the candidate who could best handle the job right away.

January 20, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  16. Kenny, VA

McCain IS too old! Sorry, but Americans are never going to elect a man who cannot straighten his arms, even if he wasn't starting to look like the crypt keeper.

And yes, I think it is perfectly fair to question whether the man would survive his term in office. After all, he would be older than the average life expectancy for an American man before he completed his first term.

McCain is simply not electable. All those independents that are keeping him afloat in the republican primaries would be flocking to the democratic candidate in November. He needs to get out.

Of course, so does Huckabee. He's also not even remotely electable (not that I'd want him even if he were). The only two candidates with a shot are Romney and Giuliani, and thanks to Giuliani's miserable start I'd say Romney. Further, Romney is the only one who I'd actually like to see in office.

January 20, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  17. Clell Adams

When you've lied as much as bush has over 8 years, it will get to you.

Huckabee is an embarrassment to true Christians.

January 20, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  18. m.

Funny...Reagan was 70 & he's the Republican superhero. Then again, Norris is bordering 900 and still using his toughguy persona. Either age matters or it doesn't, but you can't pick both.

January 20, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  19. Linda

I fully agree that McCain is TOO old to serve as president. I am 64 and have noticed a little slowing down in the last couple of years. I simply need more sleep and less stress. McCain should give a full medical disclosure at his age. Remember his body was serverely deprived and abused for over 5 years while he was incarcerated. His injuries have left him unable to even raise his arms to comb his own hair. He must have residual pain and arthritis from such severe injuries. I know that I can tell when it is going to rain or snow by the pain in my knee from a ski injury 40 years ago. Does he take drugs for any medical condition? At 72, it's time to slow down or nature will do it for you.

January 20, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  20. Al

From the beginning, I have felt that McCain's age is definitely a serious factor against him. Reagan was our oldest President when he took office, and was probably beginning to suffer from the earliest stages of Alzheimer's even before he left office.
    And McCain is even two years older than Reagan was. I am four years younger than McCain. I am still in pretty good health and plan to live at least another 20 – 30 years. I am nowhere near ready to permit myself to be put a shelf somewhere. But I definitely do not have the strength and stamina I had just a few years ago so I don't even try to do many of the things I did then. And even if I felt otherwise qualified for the job I would be reluctant to seek a job with responsibilities anywhere near comparable to those of the Presidency. Most politicians suffer from some degree of meglomania – certainly enough to deny their own mortality.

January 20, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  21. Allan Jones

That was a cheap shot by Norris. But he might be right.

January 20, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  22. come on now

Richard sounds like he may be a closeted racist.
    This country is not just a "white" country
    Support Obama or don't support Obama.

But don't NOT support him because he is black.

The opinion that he offered verges on paranoia.

January 20, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  23. Shawn

Amen! I'm glad someone finally said it. I've been thinking the same thing silently for quite a while.

January 20, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  24. Shocked!!!

Richard you are a racist pig. Also, please don't call on my God to help you – you certainly are not a child of his, No child of God could be so hateful.

January 20, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  25. jmichael

Reagan was 70 when he took office, but McCain is a Much Older 72. Chuck Norris is 68 going on 50. Yes McCain is Too Old!

January 20, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |