January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Dan

I like Huckabee, but I'm starting to Like McCain more. Whoever the nominee is should pick Michael Steele of Maryland as his running mate. Then we'd have a good, solid backup in case the president does kick the bucket.

January 21, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  2. John

McCains greatest strength is his good judgement andability to seize the day and take advantage of opportunity.

For example, he abandons his crippled wife for some rich hot trophy. Classy move for a classy guy.

Keep it classy McLame.

January 21, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  3. Abhijit

Huckabee is seen standing next to Chuck Norris so often, you could easily mistake him for a 'Real Geico Customer'.

January 21, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  4. Paul Drake

If Mitt Romney were President of the United States, and Russian missiles were headed our way, Mitt Romney would say, " Do you think the blast will mess my hair? "

If Huckabee was President, and Russian missiles were coming our way, Huckabee would head to church to pray, and he would stay there, and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves.

If Hillary Clinton were President on that day, she would say, " Oh, Bill, what should I do? "

Come on people, the only one who has any true leadership qualities is John McCain. I would vote for him if he was 102, but unfortunately, I can't, cause I'm Canadian. By the way, I would not vote for Chuck Norris, no matter how young he was.

January 21, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  5. seabreeze

Hey chuck-
    Nice hair, only your hair dresser knows fir sure!
    I think you need to go back to making info-mercials.

January 21, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  6. God

Why isnt chuck norris supporting ron paul
    Hes a texas traitor
    Huckabee is a joke

January 21, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  7. Gil - California

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Hi Chuck, thanks for the advice, now I'll provide you with some. I'll bet when you apply hair color to your beard it stings like a son-of-a-gun. And removing the glue that holds on your hair piece must smart too. If you weren't so phony, I'll bet it would be less painful. It isn't like you could use a double, like you do in your films.

January 21, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  8. dc

what is the norris , the presidential prophet that sees all........... go break some boards and mind your own business. I hope people just don't vote for someone based on anothers comments, please........................ At least McCain has military background and won't take no crap off a bunch of terrorist or be manipulated by a bunch of sniffling, tree hugging, gutless, yellow bellied liberals.......
    an okie and marine semper fi

January 21, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  9. deroy

john mccain actually too stupid.

naval academy class of 1958 mccain 594 out of 597.

how did he get into flight school?

January 21, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. Chappy

I see the two of you lauging, however I do NOT think it funny in any way.
    May I suggest that the two of you spend some time in the POW camps
    of Vietnam and come back to run for the highest office in America.
    McCain can't raise his right arm do to his beatings and torture while a POW.
    This is a sick joke and the people, including the two of you, to be laughing at it.
    Just lost my vote. By the way, what was the age of Ronald Reagan when he took
    office.SHAME on the two of you.
    An Instrument of HIS Peace,
    John Lee Dugger Chaplain MSW, M. Pastoral Care, D Pastoral Care
    (A Florida Voter)

January 21, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  11. Al Monroe

Yeah, McCain is too old and I don't like to see him on TV all the time
    with that face he has. He is only a Senator who write laws and does
    not govern a state.

I would rather vote for Mitt Romney, he has govern a state and he is
    experience. He is a family man who has never been divorce and I think
    he is the best candidate for the republican who will beat Clinton for
    president.

Mitt Romney is the kind of guy you can look up to and he has charisma.
    I think he is better looking that any republican candidate and better to see
    him on tv everyday than the other candidates. I think people would vote
    for him as a president, he is tall and looks like the president.

January 21, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  12. BobW

I find it amusing that a guy pushing 70 who promotes fitness machines for a living would complain that one of his contemporaries is too old to be president.

January 21, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  13. WALTER DAVIS

HUCKABEE IS A "RINO" CAMOUFLAGED "JIMMY CARTER". EVERY WORD WE HEAR IS RATIONALIZED THROUGH A POLITICAL-POLL INTERPRETING MACHINE FIRST. I WOULD MUCH PREFER THE CHANCE TO VOTE FOR MR. CHUCK NORRIS.

January 21, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  14. Jim

Here's a message for Chuck and the Republicans. Go ahead and run Gov. Huckabee. Give the election to the Democrats–even if their nominee is Sen. Clinton. Gov. Huckabee is too far to the right and moderates will not vote for him. I will vote for Sen. McCain over Sen. Clinton, but I will vote for Sen. Clinton over Gov. Huckabee.

January 21, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  15. doug lominac

McCain will give us endless war with no ability to steward the economy. He has already said we will stay in Iraq for 100 years. Lieberman is whispering in his ear to attack Iran and he has endorsed McCain. I am very concerned McCain won't know what to do with the economy so he will start another war or widen the existing no-win scenario. I would rather have Romney, 2nd would be Huckabee who would only attack if it was absolutely necessary. I once endorsed an attack on Iran but I do not trust the military or politicians to do it correctly. They are more worried about who gets what contract then the national security of the United States.

January 21, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  16. serenity1227

How a second-rate, on-the-skids, action movie player such as Chuck Norris has the credentials to endorse ANYONE is a puzzle to me. I remember Mr. Norris when he had more of a lisp but was still given the role of violent hero to play. Mike Huckabee is the one candidate who I am happy to see Norris "endorse." As to McCain's age and likelihood of surviving a couple of terms, I ask myself this,"Is it not more important how good a job he does during the period he holds the office, or is it more important that he has a long life to allow more bad decisions like G. Bush?"

January 21, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  17. QuoVadisAnima

The question of McCain's age & physical fitness for the grueling position of presidence is a valid consideration – regardless of who asked the question.

(Whether or not you like Chuck Norris or Mike Huckabee is irrelevant as are the inane attacks on those gentlemen's physical appearance which have nothing to do with the ability of anyone to function effectively as president) Norris was not referring to McCain's actual age but to his "real age" (google it).

I have watched 7 men go thru the election process & come out of office looking dramatically more aged than the time they spent in office – it is a tough job and it does age one at an accelerated pace. Factor in the accelerated aging of the 5+ yrs the poor man spent being tortured in Hanoi and you have a man whose real age is already greater than his actual years.

That said, I will not vote for McCain because his moral views are not consistent enough with mine & his track record during his time in Washington is even more discouraging. (McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy, McCain-insert-liberal-name-to-go-with-liberal-legislation-here...)

January 21, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  18. SgtStryker

Interesting that Huckabee brought up McCain's hair, "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure", standing next to Chuck Norris with his Just for Men hair and beard.

January 21, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  19. Glenn

It's amazing how afraid they are of a bunch of poor people coming here to wash our dishes and pick our fruit.

January 21, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  20. Ronald, L.A., California

To Mr./Ms. Moral Issues: While your position on abortion is clear, you do not have the right and you certainly do not have universal permission to preach to anyone about what is and isn't important. It is exactly this type of self-righteous hyperbole that has caused the great divide among us. Do you realize that in failing to address poverty you are killing many more innocent children than abortion will ever take? I mean, surely you must know that is true. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will the Christian Right stop acting as if this is their country and no one else's religion is acceptable. It is the United States of America, not the United States of Fundamental Christianity. Refamiliarize yourself with the history of the American Revolution and the American Constitution. Freedom of Speech, FREEDOM OF RELIGION, FREE WILL and LIBERTY are the cornerstones of the foundation of this great land. This great land, not just the part of it you want to carve out for yourselves.

January 21, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  21. Vondutch

Chuck is the same age!!!!!

January 21, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  22. Scott

Oh no! Not Chuck Norris! Really...who cares what Chuck Norris thinks. If Chuck Norris can sway voters then I should be allowed to become famous just so I can tell mindless followers what to do.

January 21, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  23. I like John what's-his-name

John is so old that he can't even remember that he: 1) voted for amnesty for illegals with Teddy Boy; 2) voted to deny free speech with Russ F; 3) embraces global warming scare-mongering, to name just a few.

As much as I loved Ronnie, it would not have been good to have him start his first term at the age he began his second (which is what McCain would be). It's just the way it is.

And by the way, no one asks Ron Paul his age because NO ONE CARES – HE'S A LOSER. And if McCain is nominated, then he too will be a loser like BOB DOLE.

January 21, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  24. Carrie

Mitt Romney if you are smart enough?? And Huckabee getting a free ride? I don't think so, he actually has supporters sending money in to finance his campaign. Romney is finding the resources to fund his campaign from his back pocket! Come on people! How fair to America is that? He's buying himself the White House.

January 21, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  25. John Ring

I can't believe this. Who cares what Chuck Norris thinks about anything? The Republican nomination process is in a sad state and all of this bodes very poorly for the general election.

January 21, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |