January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. will

Chuck Norris should talk about age. He should take off the bad hair piece and act his own age and stop trying to act like he still an action star.

January 21, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  2. jim

Chuck Norris is way out of line! He's too old to help Huckabee "take back the USA for Jesus." Have we seen Chuck in a movie lately? No. Would we even want to? NO!!

January 21, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  3. richard gordon

I fail to see how, what, or why, a doofus action picture actor's comments mean anything other than nothing. Mr. Norris is welcome to his opinions, but they mean nothing. This is not to comment on Gov. Huckabee except insofar as he let's this Hollywood bozo do more than shore up the crowds.

January 21, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  4. Sandra Binder

I am not for Huckster or McCain....but I for kicking Norris in the butt. The Huckster has made it hard for anyone to support him. Pat Robertson endorsed Rudy over the Bible thumper...Pat saw the liar for what he is. I am a Fred gal but if Fred gets out ...I'll be for Romney. Mitt has Fred class....Huckster has NO CLASS!!!

January 21, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  5. Aaron F

John McCain is my top choice for vice president.

January 21, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  6. Nell

You mean Chuck Norris isn't dead?!?

Seriously, though, Chuck Norris? I don't understand this as a campaign strategy, and please, let's hope that no actual presidential candidate or voter is relying on Chuck Norris's advice. I mean, seriously. What's next? Fixing Iraq with 80's karate stunts?

January 21, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  7. achompep

I have finally decided who I will support….after going back and forth….HUCKABEE!
    He was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and he is not wanting to win the Presidency for K Street. I have considered what guides the candidates, what are their principles? And when I examined these principles, I concluded that Huckabee can contribute integrity and balance to economic, defense, and social issues. We desperately need someone who will come to the table on these issues and consider them in a fresh, balanced, and fair way for the next generation of Americans. Remember, NOBODY is perfect, not everyones past policy making is squeaky clean. I truly had to consider the principles that guides each of the candidates….and Huckabee is THE MAN!!

January 21, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  8. Greg Peterman

Ever notice how CNN reporting makes the Democrats look good, but picks up any dirt they can on the Republicans and runs with it. Whatever canidate stumps for the fairtax.org gets my vote.

January 21, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  9. resimc

this is the same stupid chuch norris who suggested that every presidential candidate get 30 million dollar for campaign financing,as a reform, I think I want to run next time.
    His stupid boss also suggested that we give 1 billion dollar for the first person who invite a hydrogen car,forgetting that GM had already invited a hydrogn car but the problem is the cost of the fuel & how much it gonna cost to replace all the gas station with hydrogn station.
    They are both TOTALLY STUPID.

January 21, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  10. Doug W

I have never been a big fan of John McCain but I am forced to admit to myself that he is the only person running who is even remotely qualified to be President. Too old? Absurd. The two best Republican presidents of the 20th century were both old guys – Eisenhower and Reagan. With age comes wisdom. We started getting into serious trouble as a nation when we started voting for the prettiest guy instead of the wisest.

January 21, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  11. resimc

I forgot to menion that Chuck's statement is called AGISM in psychology.
    It is a form of racism.
    so start with they are discriminating against age.
    I am not McCain guy but huckabee & especially chuck make me sick.

January 21, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  12. resimc

I also forgot to mention about the HONDA guy (CHUCK) why doesn't he show up in an american car tv commercial like chevy or ford.

January 21, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  13. Kristy Sanborn, Buckhorn, Mo.

I think this assessment by Chuck Norris of John McCain's abilitys and health are a little off. I wonder if asked that about himself, if Norris would be so quick to give the same answer about his his health? Since Mr. McCain and Norris are so close in age.
    John McCain is not 'old' by today's standards. Maybe a hundred years ago, he would be too 'old', but not today. Today there are people his age who are outdoing many younger people.
    As far as his health, should he develope a health issue during his presidency, he will have the best of doctors to take care of him.
    The truth of the matter is that no one knows when they will develope any health issues that alter or take their lives. Huckabee or Norris or any of us could be here today, and gone tomorrow.
    Making the 'age' thing they are trying to use against Mr. McCain an issue is a good try though, but how young do people die from heart attacks, etc.?

January 21, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  14. Anonymous

Must I say, i was pretty surprised when I first saw Chuck Norris at Huckabee's side a month or so ago... I'm not soo sure how he got into the position of offering political advice, how ever age is something to keep in mind, but as someone else said, Reagan was elected at 70... something to think about.

Age aside I dont think McCain or Huckabee is the right man for the job. After watching the countless debates and media coverage I am convinced Romney is the most qualified canidate!

January 21, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  15. Eben Burger

I am not an American, but am following the election closely. The Republicans simply do not have a candidate with charisma. The closest is Romney who at least looks Presidential, but if these candidates are the best you can up with your party is in trouble. You will not win the election with these candidates as they simply do not inspire any confidence. In fact where I am this is a big talking point amongst locals and America will not repair it's damaged image as a world leader with these candidates. Personally I support the Republican ideas but cannot support your candidates. In short your nominees are your downfall.

None of them compare in stature to the leading Democrats.

January 21, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  16. Steve

Chuck Norris is a clown and definitely NO tough guy. Just check out his commercials for that work-out machine and his no-toned flabby arms. As for Mike Huckabee, he better leave the hair jokes to the late night shows. He's definitely in need of some fashion and looks. Besides not knowing anything about the people outside of his angelical circles, you'll NEVER hear President Huckabee said in this country.

Remember Mike, there are religions out there and you haven't addressed any of them.

looking forward to you dropping out and the good news is that Chuck Norris show his "real" colors by backing you and has lost all credibility.

So win-win-win...Chuck Norris goes away, Huckabee won't be president and the country will be better off without either of you.

Steve

January 21, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  17. Richard, Ewing NJ

Strength and Honor! John McCain!

January 21, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  18. Richard, Ewing NJ

James,

Please look up the definition of neo-con before you say something nonsense. Bush, Cheney and probably everyone you dislike are not neo-con. Neo-con by definition are old FDR style democrats left their party around the Johnson to Carter era and joined the Republican Party, that is why they are called neo-con. New to the Conservatives. If you think Bush and Cheney are neo-con, then you have to ask yourself if they are similar to FDR and Truman.

January 21, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  19. Max

Youth & inexperience.

January 21, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  20. marie thomson

It isn't that McCain is too old (which is a real issue) it is the fact that he did not support the Bush Tax Cuts.

And

he supported/authored AMNESTY for lawbreakers

AND

he left his wife and kids for a younger, richer woman

AND

mccain was one of the gang of 14 who helped defeat George Bush's nominees for judge

AND

mccain has been in Washington DC so long, even his neighboring state (Nevada) would not vote for him

AND

mccain deprived us of first amendment rights of free speach (mc/Feingold)

AND

mccain does not have any real executive experience outside of government. He has never owned a store, run a business, laid off workers, hired workers, had tax codes imposed on him, expanded a business, worked under the tariff/export taxes...etc. in short, he has never had to make the tough decisions that business owners make everyday.

With the economy on the brink, I need someone who understands the dollar, understands the world economy and will make it so that America can compete on the world stage, not just purchase products made elsewhere.

John McCain does not have the business vision to create the environment that we need to thrive.

Thank you for your service, but you are not presidential.

Rudy? social issues, multiple wives, ...

Huck? scandal...fries squirrel in a popcorn kettle? Jester-in-chief, not chief executive material

Mitt Romney has the education, qualifications, skills, leadership and ability to lead our country with the challenges we face.

period.

Mit Romney is the only candidate who has beaten Ron Paul in every race, he leads the delegate count, has won more states than any other candidate and he will be one of the best presidents ever.

Mitt Romney is presidential.

January 21, 2008 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  21. A Concerned American

When are the networks going to wake up and do reality shows of the campains. This stuff is an even bigger mess than all the stupid "reality shows" that are on TV. The Reps and the Dems all have equal dumb drama. None of it about benefiting the average American.

January 21, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  22. Marjorie Lewis

Comments like these coming from a man who has had extensive plastic surgery to keep from looking his REAL age carry no weight with me. A person's outward appearance MAY or MAY NOT reflect their youthfulness. I do not trust Huckabee and, therefore, cannot trust a person who believes this man who wants to impose his religious belief system on the rest of us.

January 21, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  23. VN

Mr. Noris, a hero in cartoon movie, has such stupid comment about the truth American Hero.

I think he is no brainer.
    I wonder that is how Noris becomes popular. Anyone know if he ever get to high school?

January 21, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  24. Josey2006

I guess I can't quite figure out what Chuck Norris brings to the picture. A 5'6" dwarf , he overcame his physical inferiority by taking karate lessons, eventually parlaying it into a series of "B" movies and a "B" TV series. That's about it. If it hadn't been for Hucksterbee retrieving him from some dust hole in Texas, he'd be a footnote in the annals of infomercial history.

January 21, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  25. jm4847

Yeah how classy of Huckabee getting Norris to do his dirty job.

Huckabee is a zealot and I am glad he doesn't stand a chance.

January 21, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |