January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. RODAN

Yeah... right! I was surprised that Chuck had the nerve...being only a mere 4 years younger than OLD MAN MCCAIN. That is so wrong.

Here I don't see age as a factor. Look, McCain's Mom is 95 and still out kicking the gong around. So there's no signs of the dreaded threat of the Reaganesque Alzheimer's issue in his family. What a low blow coming from someone who I use to think more of. In four years...he had better hang up his macho crap hat..he'll be "TOO OLD" What a dork.

January 21, 2008 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  2. Brian

Chuck Norris speaks the truth....Im afraid if Mccain is the republican representation, I will be forced to take the vote some place else.. if the age isnt an issue, its his constant support of witch hunts.

January 21, 2008 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  3. JJ in Chula Vista, CA

I'm a registered Democrat, I voted for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and John Kerry. I detest the direction Republicans have taken our country, detest that George Bush was given the job of the President twice, I think the war in Iraq is an enormous mistake, and going to war with Iran would make things even worse...and I WILL be supporting the Democratic nominee for President of the United States this November...but if there's one good thing that a Republican can do this year if they are determined and hell-bent to win the presidency, is to nominate and elect John McCain to the job. He's the only Republican that I believe I can tolerate and trust to make the right political decisions as president. He's the only candidate on the Republican side that I believe will actually help to unite the country, given his experiences and positions. I will not support the Republican nominee for social and economic reasons no matter who is nominated, but John McCain is clearly the better choice to oppose the Democratic nominee.

January 21, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  4. theo

If john mc cain becomes the republican nominee he gets my vote, other than that I'll vote democrat.

January 21, 2008 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  5. Jim Flynt

Mike Huckabee is the only Republican candidate that is not in some major eletest group's pocket and his plan of action when he becomes President is the best of any candidate. My favorite is his plan to make us energy independent by the end of his second term. Today he will be the only Presidential candidate to attend and speak at the Martin Luther King Day services at Atlanta's Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King had preached. Mike Huckabee transends all boudries when it comes to a candidate. A change toward the betterment of us hard working middle American class is what we need. Mike Huckabee is the only man that can do that!

January 21, 2008 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  6. Ronald, L.A., California

I am still waiting. Was what I said that offensive? I don't think those that I cut and pasted my submission to will think so ( and they are of both parties and many candidates). Feel free to cull this one from the herd, however.

January 21, 2008 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  7. Ronald, L.A., California

Really? After all these hours?

January 21, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  8. Sidney

I think all things have to be considered. Age and experience sometimes is a plus but I don't think McCain has looked healthy since his last bought with cancer. And i doubt we could ever get an honest medical report on all the candidates.I also would need to take a closer look at who he would pick as his running mate, since lets be honest here guys, it is more likely because of his age that person could be President. Personally I would like to know right now who each of the candidates would pick. that would make a huge difference to me.

January 21, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  9. Lorax

This is typical Huckabee. He continues to try to stay arms length from the actions of his minions so that he can claim that he doesn't do negative campaigning. "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure." The American people should not have to endure a Huckabee presidency that doesn’t talk straight and do his own bidding. He apparently avoids answering questions by be a master of diversion. Too bad the reporter was thrown off by such nonsense that there wasn’t a follow up for a real answer.

January 21, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  10. Moe, NY

OMG....lol...are these two clowns for real?

January 21, 2008 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  11. JK

It's not that McCain is too old, it's that he's spent too much time drinking the Bush KoolAid, turning his brain into tapioca pudding.

What an election – McCain, Pastor Gomer, Mitt "Lemme check with my lawyers" Romney, Rudy the 9-11 Boogeyman, and the only guy talking sense on the economy and foreign policy is at the bottom of the polls.

January 21, 2008 05:22 am at 5:22 am |
  12. Geneva

I like John McCain, and I am not a REP. buuuut...he IS too old. Not to preach ageism or anything, but I would like to remind everyone that at the end of Reagan's presidency he wasn't in the best frame of mind. 72, is not a preferred age to lead a country. ( Not that I care anyway...I'm not voting for him, but just in case he get's the nomination...)

January 21, 2008 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  13. scott

Ok, so they are worried that he is to old? well here is something to think about. I am sure the good rev./gov. being the strong Babbletist he is believes in the rapture and from everything i hear it is comming soon, sooooooo lets see ,, if i vote for either of them there is a chance they wont be around the whole time? well that settles it i am voting for Romney. i would rather have a pres. who will be around to help us out when things go bad and not one who is planning on runnig away in the clouds of one who will die..... fricking idiot, i would vote ofr o'bamma before huckleberry.

at least mit would get our country back in the money, i mean he dose understand money and that is really important. esp. for the pres.

January 21, 2008 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  14. James Finn

Maybe Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coaltrain ought to go back to where ever they came from! These people ain't smart enough to run a car wash, let alone the country!!!!

January 21, 2008 05:40 am at 5:40 am |
  15. Scott

Apparently Texas Ranches are the new criteria for running for president....everyone has one nowadays. I think we need to stop listening to the whole state of Texas because look where it put us...If another Huckabigot wins this election it will be time to move to a real free country, those of us not rich white straight christian men will pretty much be handcuffed and put in Gitmo.

January 21, 2008 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  16. Chuck

Hey Norris – Get a life! Looks like you are calling the "kettle black!" Go back to making "B" movies and shut your mouth! You "symbolize" everything that is wrong with the Republican Party and therefore will take Huckabird down with you! Now go put on your Karate suit and have a great day!

January 21, 2008 05:49 am at 5:49 am |
  17. no one

Chuck Norris is too old to be the tough guy... his colored hair and beard look ridiculous.

January 21, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  18. Vickie

This is an unfair statement – I know it is a cliche but age is just a number – you can be 50 and die of a heart attack tomorrow. Instead of picking on McCain's age you can look at the other side of the coin in the fact that he has a huge amount of experience and a lot to bring to the table. I wish politics did not have to get down to preschool insults and maybe just for once stick to the issues.

January 21, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  19. Bob Charron

He may be too old or he may not, but since Norris's only skills are kicking teeth in and selling exercise equipment, I'd tend to ignore anything he might have to say and listen to someone who might have a clue.

January 21, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  20. Mike in Baltimore

Huckabee wants to amend the Constitution to make the United States a 'Christian' theocracy? Is that any different than what happened in Iran with the Ayatollah?

Mr. Romney – Mr. Prima Donna 'Just don't touch the hair!'. Just because he's made millions of dollars, where did he EARN that money? Possibly from helping fat-cat rich customers of Bain Capital set up tax shelters in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda so they don't have to pay taxes like the working people of the US? From trust funds that are invested in Iran? From getting multi-million dollar consulting fees from companies to tell them to 'cut costs by laying off workers' or 'send the work overseas', and then the companies still go belly-up?

Mr. Giuliani – Mr. 9/11 all the time, every time? How many wives did he have? What did he know of Bernard Kerik's past, but didn't bother to tell anyone? How many of his scandals have NOT been uncovered yet?

Mr. McCain – Age is not the factor here: Remember 'Bomb Bomb Iran'? Remember '100 more years in Iraq'? We don't need another warmonger in office, do we?

The GOP sure has an overflowing cornucopia of 'ideal' candidates in 2008, don't they?

January 21, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  21. Richard

Chuck, you are an idiot. Heretofore, I will never watch another one of your movies. I used to be a big fan; but your endorsement of Mike Huckabee, who does not believe in evolution, only shows us either you are just as supid to believe that or ACT like you believe it just so Huckabee can kiss up to the conservatives who also for some whacked our reason believe the same. Good luck on your sinking ship and you too will flee it like a rat that you have become.

January 21, 2008 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  22. Joan Chryl

McCain IS too old to be president. Someone had to say it, and it might as well be Norris. Everyone was thinking it, but were too afraid to say it. Did you see McCain read his victroy speech in NH? He quickly put his enthusiastic supporters to sleep. I liked McCain back in 2000, but that was 8 long years ago. I think the beatings he received in prison have also taken a huge toll on his mental faculties. He needs to seriously think about retiring. I don't want him to turn into another Strom Thurmond.
    Joan in Clarkston, Michigan

January 21, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  23. cnickthomas

If you consider what a terrible president Geo W. Bush has been for this country and he has even reached that magical age of 70. I guess Bush has sort of lowered the bar for what qualifies one to be President. Everyone just wants someone they'd feel comfortable drinking a beer with. Maybe we should be less concerned about the physical age of a person and more concerned about their mental capacity. The only clue to this is to watch the campaign closely. As it proceeds you'll get a good idea who has the mental and physical fortitude to handle the job of Commander-in-Chief. Bush has embarrassed this country so many times. His begging the Saudi oil ministers for more oil comes recently to mind. We need a leader that realizes what a dangerous world it is when we depend on another country for a finite natural resource. We need a leader with a vision. One who'll lead us out of this mess we've made. Otherwise we are in store for unimaginable misery in the coming years. I'm ready for a break from the politics of old. They haven't gotten us anywhere. The same old promises, the same old problems. Nothing ever changes. Is it any wonder that so many are turned off to politics? The rational among us know that this is what we have. A democratic republic. For better or for worse. We must find a way to move into a new day. Change is the only way forward.

January 21, 2008 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  24. John Snow

Not only is McCain too long in the tooth for a presidential campaign but, if you listen to some of the interviews he has had ,he shows what I would take to be psychological damage from his internment in a POW camp. He is a great American and we should admire him for his service to his country but he is not in any way a good choice for president.

January 21, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  25. Boone Kirkman

McCain was a maverick back in 2000. He wasn't afraid to go against the establishment. He was a straight talker. He had survived the savings and loan scandal as one of the Keating 5. He pushed for needed campaign finance reform. But now is "Bush Light." He is all about stay the course in Iraq, and let's get ready to invade Iran. Yeah, Chuck Norris is right. McCain is too old to be president. We need some fresh ideas. He's been in the senate too long. The Dems will crush him on his amnesty and social security for illegals.

January 21, 2008 07:27 am at 7:27 am |