January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Gil - California

This was a misquote. What Chuck Norris meant to say was that when Action TV/Movie B stars get up in the 60's there is a 3-1 age gape between them and their wives. Chuckles is almost 68 and his wife is what...22?

January 21, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. Redmond

Norris has been behaving like a fool -like his mentor Governor Fried Squirrel. But..he does have a point.
    McCain has had two bouts of malignant melanoma and that is something that must be addressed. McCain should release his medical records and allow his doctor to answer questions. His age and his very serious cancer history are factors that cannot be overlooked.

January 21, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Bob

When Chuck Norris says that McCain might not survive four years in the White House, he's not talking about his age.

Dang! I wish I'd thought of that while the story was still fresh.

January 21, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. SPQR753

At least John McCain is not ashamed of his white/silvery hair.

Only "WIMPS" and "FAKE" tough guys color their hair!!!!!

January 21, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Raymond Rignall

Who, in heaven's name, reads all this!

January 21, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. Travis MS

Is Mike Huckabee supporting age discrimination? I'm a democrat and don't really like Huckabee or McCain but this is still crossing the line.

January 21, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Redhot

It's hard to believe the comments in this thread about candidate's age(s), etc. How about a discussion of what any of these individuals actually stand-for??? That is...if you can actually figure it out. Folks have been watching too much of that critically insightful television coverage. Gawd help us all.

January 21, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Jr., California

What's wrong with McCain's arms, left side of his jaw, and his left blinking eye?

January 21, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. jim aaron

Isn't Chuck a little too short to be playing the tough-guy role??

January 21, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Stef

Um, Chuck... ever hear of a guy named RONALD REAGAN? He was either in his 70's or 70 years of age when he was elected THE FIRST TIME! And he served TWO (count 'em!) TWO FULL TERMS!

I haven't decided who I'm going to support yet, but I do know it's not going to be Huckabee. Yeah, he's a good ole southern boy from Arkansas, but do we really need another former Ark. Governor in the White House? He needs to surround himself with people who aren't going to trash talk the competition. That's what I"ve always hated about elections in the US (and I'm FROM the US)... the cheap shots and dirty campaigns. I don't want another election like the last two (00 and 04) where we're stuck voting for the lesser of two evils. Just once in my adult life, I'd like to vote for someone who will actually do all that he (or she) says they're going to do.

So sit back down there, Carlos Ray, and keep yer trap shut!

January 21, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Zac

And a nearly 70 year old c movie actor is qualified to tell us how to vote. A self avowed neo-con God freak? And did he not state that THE REASON he supported the Huckster was McCain's AGE? I didn't see any valid points made besides AGE!!!!!

January 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Rich

All the Republicans candidates, except Ron Paul (the oldest, in years) are not "too old" . . . but too dumb and untruthful and incompetent for the presidency. Comments from action-movie celebrities are beyond irrelevant.

January 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. Walter

Is that a wig that Norris wearing?

January 21, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  14. Milton Burts

I find Chuck Norris's comment about age, ludicrous. I am almost 74 years old, work full time about 60 hrs per week. It's true my muscles are a little stiff but my mind is still going 90 mph. John Mc Cain is the only candidate that has truly sacrificed for this country. The other candidates have only take from it. He has stayed true to his concience and often at the exasperation of the Repubican Party leaders. He has proven that he can reach across the aisle and cooperate with the Democrats. I am not Catholic but I notice that many men elected to the position of Pope are well up into their years and serve longer than the maximum 8 years that a President can serve. I do not agree 100% with John Mc Cain, but I feel that I can trust him to do what is best for our nation as a whole, starting with national security and humans rights for all, americans.

January 21, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Mike O

This network is giving Huckabee a free ride because they want the weakest GOP candidate if their choice (Hillary) is to prevail. He's the oncy one who would have negatives enough to match Clinton Redux

January 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. Craig Van

As a loan officer, if I said that a potential borrower was "to old" to repay the loan, I would be fired for age discrimination. What a terrible statement to make. Chuck sets a poor example for his age group and anyone else for that matter. I think if he were anything but a "D" list actor it would have made bigger headlines.

January 21, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. mitch

Chuck Norris is no authority on age or politics. This should not even be a major headline.

January 21, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. LTJ

Chuck Norris has been showing his un-American side all over the TV networks!!!

Seems to me I saw Chuck Norris endorsing a Japanese Honda truck all over the tube this week. If he's so pro American, why isn't he endorsing American made vehicles?

A candidate for US president should do everything possible in being pro-American, including ensuring all staff, and public endorsers stress a pro-American agenda.. If Huck's staff couldn't vet Norris when his un-American commercials are everywhere, can they be trusted for much else?

January 21, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. Sebastian

Do you suppose Huckabee may have alienated some of the older population by suggesting that the 71-year old candidate is at the end of the line and has nothing to offer the presidency?

I hope so.

January 21, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  20. Nick

Chuck Norris is too old to be an action figure.

January 21, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  21. Annie

Whatever, that sounds like ageism to me. You go McCain, you look younger and more manly than Mr. Norris any day. I can't believe that such a "positive" man like Norris would espouse such downtrodden, negative & uninspired comments.

January 21, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  22. john patrick

hey chuck – what did you do in the war daddy? sen.mccain won't miss your 5 day stubble/lumberjack shirt wearin' / log cabin vote . i trust him with my countrys' future. if memory serves me you were mute on the subject of cheneys' oft- stented arteries being an" irregular heartbeat" away from the presidency.yahoo.com

January 21, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  23. abouthadituptohere

Huck says, "I want to run a clean, positive campaign. " NOT!! .........
    Has anyone seen a picture of Huck without Chuck? Usually, in these photos Chuck is behind Huck. But yesterday Huck put Chuck in front . . .kind of like a human shield and let Chuck fire away at John McCain's age. Will this attack ever come back to bite Huck? No! It won't because Huck can also hide behind his "Christain" shield. Reminds me of the time he created a negative ad against
    Romney, but decided not to show it. And to prove he had the ad . . .he wanted to show it to the REPORTERS. Well, duh!!!!!! So much for running a clean, positive campaign. (Still the ad was run on several networks). If he ever became president, we know how he would never be found guilty of doing anything wrong.

So how about we Chuck "Huck" and Huck "Chuck"?

January 21, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. abouthadituptohere

Another thing . . . Chuck says he didn't want to support John McCain because his age made him subject to an early death. That's why he's supporting Huckabee. Hmmmmm! Why isn't he just as concerned over that fact that Huckabee for many years wore twinkie-pounds? Wouldn't that accelerate his life by about a 3:1 ratio?

January 21, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Art

Can we say "Just for men"? Obviously, Chuck and Huck are using it. How about "Flaming Flamingo color" just for men, for McCain? Or "Saddam Black color". Make him look 10 years younger...

January 21, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |