January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Phil Memphis, TN

I (hate to but) have to agree with Norris. Of course he should have added that "Huckabee is too much of a religious zealot and too loony to be President".

January 20, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. john

McCain a uniter? How ludicrious. He's a maverick, endorsed by Democrat Sen.
    Lieberman. Sure, he gets along with Dems...like Ted Kennedy...to surrender
    control of this nation's borders. Joins with Feingold to sponsor bills to
    censor campaigns. What the Republicans need isn't a turncoat maverick. They
    need someone they can trust. Age isn't the problem. His politics are.
    Washington is the problem and McCain is Washington in spades...Duh!

January 20, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. John

McCain will pick a young VP like Tim Pawlenty.

Huckabee campaign is a joke what is chuck norris going to be in his administration. No one serious is backing huckabee.

All the serious people are backing McCain.

Tom Kean chairman of 9/11 commission backing McCain.

McCain can actually put together a serious administration while Huckabee is like a bad cartoon.

January 20, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  4. Kaylan

I'm not fond of the Chuck Norris support but I am hoping for Huckabee. I think he has a lot to offer above old-school McCain even though I respect McCain's vet status. I don't think Romney can relate to the average American worker but Huckabee, given his own political record can.

He stressed education as important to help those in need and I heard while in office himself he replaced the "boss" photo frames with photos of the people in the state so to remind all those working at state level that they were, including himself, working for the people and not themselves.

January 20, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. clyde bert williams

it is interesting that at 4:56pm on sunday jan 20th, cnn just announced that clinton has nearly double the delegates of obama, yet from my count, and i have been watching very closely, obama is the one who is up in delegates. and cnn is recording my findings on its web site.

is your web site separate from your broadcast, and is your broadcast playing favorites, instead of reporting the facts?

observing the status quo, all over again.

January 20, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Matt

Ironic thing is, Huckabee may end up being McCain's Vice President. Norris may have hurt his candidate's chances.

January 20, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Ronald Grantland

What a stupid thing to say about a real American hero. Of all the Republican candidates McCain is the only shinning light and his light is pretty dim.

January 20, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  8. David, Oregon City

A vote for McCain is a vote for more of the SAME old age politics!

How weird is it that American continues to ask for change but the elite media always supports and offers candidates like McCain who provide more of the SAME. Who have we entrusted with enacting change in the past? People like McCain and his gang? Oh, but now he (McCain) knows what change looks like? Change for America has been supporting the same insiders that provide the same negative results? Catch my drift? Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and the other elite talk show hacks have asked their “zombies” many times to rally against McCain but now they are tolerant of McCain when an outsider tries to get elected outside of their “good old boys” club. The elite media has taken away the voice of America who wants real change. I hold the elite media and talk show host responsible for suppressing the voice by attacking the political outsiders.

Only one candidate understands the kind of change American is asking for. He understands change doesn’t mean change of skin color, gender, or poll “a” tician. Huckabee understands Americans are asking for change in direction of family values, government and tax corruption, programs that do not work, illegal immigration, world trade that favors the other side and energy dependence.

Enough with the programs that damaged family values, school accomplishments, increases crime, and increases corruption in this country. Where does all the big poll “a” tician’s campaign funds come from anyway?

America has a chance for real change right now, or asks for more of the SAME! CHANGE or more of the SAME!

To clarify what happened in South Carolina, Fred Thompson split the ticket, as Ross Perot split the ticket on H Bush in South Carolina. Huckabee supporters must start today answering the established media’s attack on Mike Huckabee and expose the records of McCain, Romney, and Thompson.

January 20, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. Nancy Levin

Well, Jeff, what we have here is ONE Scarecrow and ONE Lion: one needs a brain and the other a heart!! Oh, Wizard..Frank Morgan..re-write the script !

January 20, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. Grace

Hey hey there! I am in my mid 70's and still getting along quite well. As for some of the comments made about how the Democrats will destroy the country, or mess things up, come on, do you think they can do any worse than the CONS who have been messing things up since Gore won OOOPS W won the election the first time, eventhough 500,000 more people voted for Gore????
    Anyway, McCain was a POW, to say that he was not effected or influenced by that is like sticking your head in the sand. As for the mexican issue, Iraq, recession, America's health care system at the same level as Albania, $3 gas, inflation, most children left behind, and W's promise to catch BinLaden, before he declared Mission Accomplished in Iraq, come on people. I could go on and on. Whoever wins, be it Hillary or Obama, Mitt or McCain, the next President is not going to be able to fix this mess in the his or her first term. Vote for the person least likely to mess things up....

January 20, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. Independent

How pathetic is it that two of the top stories on the political ticket involve Chuck Norris and Usher. Britney Spears campaigning for Hillary is next... what is this country coming to?!?!?

Magic Johnson for Hillary? Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for Barack?!?!? Seriously...

January 20, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. Tannim

Too bad Chucky doesn't realize that Hucky isn't fit to be President either...

In fact the only one left fit to be President and fix our war and economic problems is...Ron Paul!

RP08!

January 20, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. Brent

Huckabee says:
    "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

As a Christian, shouldn't you have said:
    "Only John McCain and God know for sure."?

January 20, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  14. kcmaop

Even though I am backing Sen. Clinton, I still find it ridiculous that anyone would question the abilities of Sen. McCain. I may not agree with his policies or positions, but the man is a TRUE HERO. If there is anyone who can stay sane through the craziness of the Presidency, anyone who has both the physical and mental toughness that he'll need, it's him. How many of us would have withstood what he did. Again, I will not be voting for him, but his toughness, honor, and abilities should NEVER be questioned. He earned that right during 5 years of hell for his country.

January 20, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. Mark, Wilkes Barre PA

35 year old, your right,, the things I used to plow through in my 20's ,, I can still do now in my late 40's,, I just do it a little smarter and better

January 20, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Gobama

What America needs is a YOUNG, STRONG Barack Obama.

Hilary is ALSO too old.
    It's bad enough having an old man in the White House it is far worse to have an old woman like Hilary. The job is too stressful. Just look at the enormous toll the White House had on the Clintons already.

The self-destructive Clintons even destroy their White House legacy by fouling their nest at the White House, bring shame to the Oval Office and to their marriage, and undermine the Presidency so that bush could destroy it completely along with the treasury and American lives and limbs.

January 20, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. Heather

Ito, Yokosuka Japan .. Romney is a Christian

Can we get past the discrimination thing already…it's getting old, pun intended.

January 20, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. Susan

I am not a Republican, nor will I vote republican, nor do I like McCain or Huckabee...but that being said.................for US President I would prefer an older man over a Religious Nut Case............

January 20, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. Moral Issues

I feel sorry for the person who said there are bigger issues at hand than Abortion and Gay Marriage. When we stand by and do nothing while our future is being mercilessly slaughter, how can we have any hope for the future? Allowing innocent babies to be murdered before they have a chance to speak for themselves is like enforcing the death penalty on someone who has not had a trial. Why do women have abortions...because the baby is an inconvenience to the mother-to-be? Really, so does that mean we should be able to kill anyone who causes us an inconvenience? Pro-choice…support a woman’s right to choose….I DO. I support her right to CHOOSE not to have sex if she is not willing and ready to accept the gift from GOD that act may produce. CHOOSE to become educated, CHOOSE to find GOD, CHOOSE to realize what exactly you are doing when you have an abortion…you are killing a child.

While agree Chuck’s comment wasn’t the most intelligent, but I also think it isn’t something that should ruffle your feathers. Big deal, he said HE thought McCain was too old. So, what happened to freedom of speech? Just because Chuck feels that way doesn’t mean you have to.

January 20, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. scott

oh right! (hes not to old) we have a vice pre with a pastmacker and a 90 some year old seniter.

January 20, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. Susan

Would we consider that our company setting the age for retirement or the age one can collection social security or the age we qualifies to use free medicare is a type of age discrimination? Would we consider the law that says it's a crime to engage in sex with someone under a certain young age is age discrimination? The concern for age is common sense. Would you not consider taking more care of McCain's mother when you walk by her side since she's 93? Is that age discrimination?

January 20, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  22. Craig in Madison

In that case....MY SIX YEAR OLD NEPHEW FOR PRESIDENT!!!

January 20, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  23. Christian, Tampa FL

That's kind of funny and rude at the same time. I don't know how to react. Let's hope that McCain picks someone cool as his running mate, if Chuck Norris the Powerful is correct.

January 20, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Steve, Huntington Beach CA

Ah, the bizarre Chuck and Huck show continues. If he was smart he would get rid of Norris asap.....talk about creepy. But hey, I'm all for the fact that Chuck is making Hickabee (and himself) look like a joke.

January 20, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. Don Hiller

My biggest LOL was that from EntertainMe:

"My friends, let's not be too hard on Chuck Norris for his idiotic comments… This guy has taken more blows to the head than the Three Stooges".

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Huck's Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

BTW, I am 69 and my mother 89. To me, Chucky is a young and insolent young pup. Once a TV ranger; now in my opinion, a mentaly deranged-er.

January 20, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |