January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. ClaudiaCalifornia

Norris totally looks like the Lion from the Wizard of Oz! And no, that ratty rug he wears on his head is not too obvious.

January 20, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. anon

The new commercial with Norris and Honda Ridgeline is GREAT!

Honda Ridgeline for President : )

January 20, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Abe Schenck

Low blow....

January 20, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. TJS

What diff does it make what age Chuck is, is he running for president? His,McCain,age is not a factor in the race. His attitude is. If he is on the ticket most republicans I know will vote democrat. I have a problem with his militant attitude. I don't want my kids to fight in this war that we should be out of. I wish we could save some of that money and use it for, uh I don't know, maybe to get some of our homeless and hungry taken care of . Of course if Mr. Romney is in there there will be a lot more of those on the streets needing help. Wake up America. WE can't afford to screw up like the last 2 elections.

January 20, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. Steve W.

Support tax cuts or not, what a sorry litmus test.

McCain voted against tax cuts, not because he's against thenm. but because of the Iraq situation and that he believes (now here's a strange thought for those bent on tax cuts at all costs) that we must pay as we go. Simple truth, Bush has been anything but a fiscal conservative, social yes, but fiscal, no! He's simply buried this country with massive additional debt. Sadly, it wasn't for the benefit of our country and citizens, an area he simply won't spend on, but for a military industrial complex (go back and read Eisenhower's, the ex-general and president, warning on this subject) benefit which has cost almost 4,000 of our brave young soldiers lives and tens of thousands of them being maimed, or injured.

Look at the value of our dollar. Look at the state of our economy. Look at Iraq. Look at a president who won't do a thing about illegal aliens. Look at all our jobs that are now located overseas or in Mexico. Yet we should stay the course? The worst President in my lifetime is finishing up a failed eight year run and there are those who still want more of the same? Absolutely unbelievable.

January 20, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. Don Hiller

My biggest LOL was that from EntertainMe:

"My friends, let's not be too hard on Chuck Norris for his idiotic comments… This guy has taken more blows to the head than the Three Stooges".

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Huck's Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

BTW, I am 69 and my mother 89. To me, Chucky is a young and insolent young pup. How old is Chucky's mother?

January 20, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. Jim, Huntington, N.Y.

A washed up third rate actor supports an evangelical whack-job and this is news?

January 20, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Craig in Madison

....oh, wait a sec....my six year old nephew doesn't have a big supporter who's famous for going around giving people karate chops. Never mind.

January 20, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  9. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Yes, this is a tough 'discrimination' issue to swallow, but it IS true nonetheless.

The worst thing about his age is that there is no plausible way McCain could or should be re-elected in 2012 when he'd be turning 76 years old.

We, the Americans, deserve a leader who CAN lead for the next 8-9 years, not just 4. To me this is the biggest reason that age is an issue with McCain.

Look at the news today of Castro in Cuba. When you're that age, illness can strike and your chances at kicking it are just slim, especially within the boundries of such a stressful professional life.

Don't forget those last years of Reagan, we all knew he was slipping and that Nancy was manning the ship. We cannot afford this weakness right now.

Voting in someone as old as 72 next Feb '09 IS an unfortunate but relevant issue.

Another relevant issue is that Mike Huckabee does NOT have the intelligence (didn't know squat about Pakistan 3 weeks ago) to be the President of the USA.

January 20, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  10. Don Hiller

My biggest LOL was that from EntertainMe:

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

BTW, I am 69 and my mother 89. To me, Chucky is a young and insolent young pup.

January 20, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  11. Peace

MacCain said he has the mother who is 95 and she is still driving! On his 70s I think he is not too old. They have good genes in the entire family.

January 20, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. Rich

Not all of us can afford plastic surgery and hair plugs, Chuck.

January 20, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. Mark

how is this news? Chuck Norris???

January 20, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. wes

This is getting out of hand. Wasn't Huckabee the first to cry foul with negative campaigning? (when the campaigning in Iowa had nothing to do with him as a human being but referred to his record as Gov of Arkansas) Now he is busy trying to convince people he is the "Christian" for the job and telling people what he would do with flag poles and laughing while he lets Norris attack McCain on his age? Common Republicans...the future of this nation is is at stake and the Democrats are going to laugh all the way to the White House....only McCain or Romney can beat Obama or Clinton...let's narrow this thing down and get serious...this is too sad. I am not even in agreement that Huckabee is qualified to be a pastor...not mine anyway. SAD!!!!!!

January 20, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Richard, FL

This doesn't matter!! We need Chuck Norris to tell us how old McCain is in dog years.

January 20, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Don Hiller

My biggest LOL was that from EntertainMe:

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

BTW, I am 69 and my mother 89. Compared to me, Mr. Norris is a young and insolent young pup.

January 20, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Regarding this picture of Mike and Chuck;

It should be titled "Gomer Pyle goes to Emerald City with the Lion". Chuck's wife could be "Glenda" the good witch. Mrs. Huckabee could be, uh Dorothy? Lyndsey Graham could be the Tin Man and the Scarecrow? I guess I'll leave that one up for you all to choose on your own.

Suppose McCain is the great "Wizard of Oz"?

HaHaHaHa!

January 20, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Kevin

Mccain

too old ? i think so
    immigration ? no clue !
    economy ? Mmm..no idea
    War in Iraq ? like to stay there for 100 years

yes 100 years !!! don't believe me ?

search online !!!

January 20, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. Walt, Belton, TX

Better to be too old than too incompetent!

January 20, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  20. j williamson

Sorry, but I also believe 72 is much too old for any candidate (of any party) to be starting a term at the White House. Remember what we experienced with Ronald Reagan – sadly, his dementia was clearly in its early stages during his second term (and possibly sooner than that). You'll recall that he did no "live" press conferences in those last years – if he couldn't read from the tele-prompter, it just wasn't done. Nancy Reagan wispering "answers" to her Ronnie is not something we should re-visit.

January 20, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. John C Jacksonville, Florida

Does this mean that the Huckster, and Karate Man Senior will also call upon Hulk Hogan for his Hogan Knows Best "wisdon" as they thump along with bibles? Norris, you are a disgrace to the United States for such a neanderthal statement. I look forward to your next infomercial apologing to all and not selling some workout machinery crafted OVERSEAS!

January 20, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  22. Claustro

Eh, not a McCain fan myself, but the comment made by Chuck is silly. McCain looks and sounds pretty tough to me. Depends on how he treats himself, as well. There are some run down older people, and some older people who are in darned better shape than younger people. This didn't do much for Hucky, imo.

January 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. Don Hiller

My biggest LOL was that from EntertainMe:

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Ask John's 95YO mother.

January 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Kim

What makes these so called "celebrities" think we are looking to them to tell us how to vote? I don't want Chucks or Oprahs opinion for that matter on who I need to vote for! They lead a nice cushy life and for the life of me I can't understand why they think I care what they want? Low class as far as his comments about McCains agae, he gave his entire life for this country in which we all enjoy and now he is too old. We don't put people out to pasture, McCain seems to be having no trouble keeping up with the young ones on the trail and least of all Huckabee. McCain took a state that should have been a cake walk for Huckabee, I think the "people" have spoken.

January 20, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  25. abouthadituptohere

I think Huckabee is keeping Chuck Norris by his side because he plans to have him run as his VP should he become the Republican nominee. I say we should all: chuck Huck!

January 20, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |