January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Jared C.- in Korea

Romney is the man. He has the leadership, experience, and morals we did. He is a businessman who will get the job done. McCain and Huckabee just don't have what it takes to lead this country in all areas.

Romney/Thompson 2008

January 20, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Stu

He says "Thats why i didnt pick John to support"...OK SO,in other words ...i would have picked John OVER Huck cept for his age?? Hummmmmm veeeeerrrrry interesting.

January 20, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. Judge Bruce J. Einhorn (ret.)

Chuck Norris's cheap shot at Senator McCain, suggesting that the latter is "too old" to be President, belies the Huckabee campaign's claim that their candidate represents a kindler, gentler, mosre compassionate conservatism. Senator McCain was a genuine hero during his days in the military; Norris played one, badly, on TV. If Chuck Norris represents the face of the Huckabee campaign, then that visage is pock-marked with ugliness.

January 20, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. Rachel

Whatever age John McCain is, I don't want to hear about it from CHUCK NORRIS.

He is not news. Ugh.

January 20, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. mike gino

Hillary's too old to have any more children but Bill is not.

January 20, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. Tom Simms

The whole field, save 1, is a CFR traitor. Dress a treasonous pig any way you like, it's still a treasonous pig.

Ron Paul is not a CFR member.

Get it, thickheads?

January 20, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. Don Hiller

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Huck's Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

BTW, I am 69 and my mother 89. To me, Chucky is a young and insolent young pup. Once a TV ranger; now in my opinion, a mentaly deranged-er.

January 20, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. Matt, Chico, CA

Adam M,

Chuck Norris is indeed 4 years younger than McCain, but Chuck Norris isn't running for president

January 20, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Elmer Gantry

Huckabee and his two-fisted mouthpiece are prime examples of simple-minded, foul-mouthed, superstitious religious nastiness.

January 20, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. david from texas

I would rather have an older and wiser President than a young and foolish one.

Age really does not matter if a good VP is chosen (the Constitution provides for smooth transition in the case of incapacity), especially for folks with good genes like McCain has...

I am not a supporter of McCain (at least not yet), but inane comments like Chuck's make me steer far away from Hucksters like Huck.

January 20, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. Tom Davie

I have no idea why the Republicans are so hyped up on this guy.

Not only is the guy 71 years old, he truely looks OLDER than that even.

We all know that as time goes on in the general election, Obama would BLOW poor Mc Cain away badly as independents look for a NEW direction.

Everyone points to the Nixon Kennedy debate where Nixon was wearing an old grey suit, and Kennedy a nice blue suit that showed up better in black and white.

You got a 60 year old woman who looks good for her age, and a 47 year old Obama vs a 72 year old guy who cant put his arms up over his head ?

My DEEP hope is that the Republicans keep telling themselves that McCain can beat Obama or Clinton

What about a Clinton / Obama ticket?

Women, youth , latinos , african americans..........

There is NO WAY a Mc Cain ticket can beat a Clinton /Obama ticket.

He can only play the expeience card if Obama runs with edwards or someone like that.

January 20, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. MildApplause

If it's a McCain v. Hillary electon, why bother to vote? They're both the same.

January 20, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Frank

John McCain, while a fine patriot is not a republican in my book. McCain-Feingold attack on free speech, his vote against tax cuts, and his stand on illegal immigration, (which he persists in maintaining, albeit after securing the boarders,) all make him unfit in my view. I will not vote for him if he is nominated.

In my view Romney, Huckabee or Giuliani are OK, but Huckabee's endorsement of the Fair Tax is enough for my primary vote.

January 20, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Gil - California

Hi Chuck, thanks for the advice, now I'll provide you with some. I'll bet when you apply hair color to your beard it stings like a son-of-a-gun. And removing the glue that holds on your hair piece must smart too. If you weren't so phony, I'll bet it would be less painful. It isn't like you could use a double, like you do in your films.

January 20, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. david from texas

If Huck is not careful with the comments of his "genius" supporters, then he could miss out on being picked for VP when McCain wins the nomination.

If anything, Huck should start saying that McCain would be wise in picking him for VP as a running mate!

January 20, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. Esjaydee

Chuck Norris is 67 years old...hmmm? Someone should remember to tell him in 5 yrs that he is tooooo old too.

January 20, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  17. A

That's just plain silly. Besides, there's no reason why every president has to serve 8 years! This common belief that every president has to serve 2 terms is definitely a recent development.

January 20, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  18. Don Hiller

McCain is the best and right candidate for President this time around.
    Too old? Forget Huck's Chuck and ask John's 95YO mother.

January 20, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  19. Vladimir Bachynsky

You guys are morons. These days, 72 is nuthin'. My dad is 90 and his mind is still sharp. 70 is the new 60 with modern medicine. Haven't you seen McCain's 95 year old mom? Age is a number. Health is another matter, and it looks to me that he has the endurance for the job. You try running a tough presidential campaign at his age. If you want to reject McCain on the issues–fine; but don't say that 72 is old. Please. That is so backward with our longer life spans today.

January 20, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. jerry

ROMNEY HAS TOO MUCH CLASS FOR THE WHOLE BUNCH OF CANDIDATES PUT TOGETHER PERIOD.

January 20, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. Ryan OH

How much research has Chuck Norris done to come up with this 3 to 1 theory of how being President effects the aging process? What a genius.

It is not uncommon for people to live in to their eighties these days, I have several relatives who are still very active and mentally sharp who are in their nineties.

Only John McCain knows how he feels, and I don't think he would be out there campaigning as hard as he is if he didn't have the strength to be President.

January 20, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  22. Ken

Six years of deprivation and torture suffered by Senator McCain in a POW camp. My hat is off to him. Did he take an 8mm home movie camera with him? No that was two other spineless cowards.
    I wonder what the life expectancy is for a man who has gone through what the senator has gone through. Are his contemporaries from the Vietnam POW experience still with us? I understand that he's punched out of airplanes 3 or 4 times too.
    I thank him for his service, but I doubt his longevity. I assume he tacitly tried to combat this by having his mother make an appearance or two with him.
    No on tax cuts, yes on amnesty for illegals, and damage to the first amendment with McCain/Feingold. No on those three is a strikeout for me philosophically. Capitalism is freeing the world. Tax hikes are socialistic. Sorry John, you are old news.

January 20, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. Jack LaLanne

Age is not necessarily a factor. There are a lot of stud 72 year olds running circles around 30 somethings. However, t's not wild speculation that McCain's nerves may have never recovered from what he's been through.

January 20, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. emma smith

McCain is too OLD and Crotchety to be president. He claims he gets the message regarding his amnesty plan, but he still keeps defending it.

January 20, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  25. Mike

Huckabee scares the hell out of me. If you don't believe what he does about what happens when we close our eyes for the final time, you don't really matter. We can't give this guy access to our nukes!

January 20, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |