January 20th, 2008

Norris: McCain may be too old for the White House

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/20/art.norris.ap.jpg caption="Norris is hosting a fundraiser for Huckabee at his Texas ranch."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

- CNN's Eric Fiegel and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Does It Matter

Chuck who?

January 20, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Immigrants

I have a question...and I am seeking an honest discussion here....I lived in (Southern and Northern for a short time) California all of my life. I am not Hispanic. My Mother worked as the nurse at an elementary school all of my life, so I know all about the *free education* free eyeglasses* (that thye had to wait 5 years to get) *free lunch* compliants about the "illegals". HOWEVER, all of you out there who keep hounding about the Mexican imigrants, PLEASE tell me, and I am asking this sincerely...WHO is going to be picking your lettuce? WHo is going to be picking ALL of your produce? Who is going to be cleaning the toilets of all the California housewives who used to complain to me that "Cleaning the toilet wasn't *their* job". My experience with the Hispanic people is that they are incredibly hard working (MUCH more so than ANY of the *White* people we EVER HIRED to do any job) Working in the fields is a very difficlut life and the people who do it make pennies. Just WHO do you think is honestly going to step in and take over those jobs???? California is one of the most expensive places to live in the world! Do you think the white American kids graduating from Thousand Oaks High are going to be driving over the hill into Oxnard to work the fields? With their cell phones and iPods? I don't know of ANYONE who would take their places for ANY amount of money. I believe there was a poll taken recently and people said they *might* work in the fields starting at $65K a year plus benefits. I don't know about you, but with an Ivy League education, Law School and a career in Finance, our family can still barely afford the cost of food these days. After you kick all of them out fo the country, who, in your mind, is going to be taking their place?

January 20, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. Calvin Hobbes

When John McCain was twenty-one, 1958, the U.S. and the world was not what it is today. I see the presidency absolutely requires those with leadership and life experiences (completely absent with both leading Democratic contenders) and McCain has good track history. Today international adversaries and allies both seek to attack and undermine us, to enhance their own prestige. Economics is not just day to day business, for many nations in the far east it has become their metaphor for war with the U.S., stealing secrets, using it as a threat, imposing their own hidden trade barriers, counterfeiting goods, using unsafe substances in the manufacture of goods, foods, and medicines. The U.S. economy can't be fixed with "shots in the arm" of reduced taxes and condemnation of the mortgage industry. Michigan's improverished economy will be this nations future if visionary, innovative and long term strategic efforts aren't put forth to find and develop strong balanced industrial, agricultural, and hi-tech engines. Fighting terrorism now no longer means military strikes but finding political cooperation where the U.S. must strike. Physical health aside, is McCain up for this? Where is his innovative visions? What we face today is too serious for standard political platitudes, I suspect many voting age people, like me know this and find none of the candidates actually qualified for these challenges.

January 20, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Ab Stein

This man is sickening. I would never vote for a bigot. I would never vote for somethat sees only their version of religion. Why would any one in their right mind vote for someone that uses an actor of violence, at the same time talks the love of god. This man is a huge fraud. Don't be fooled by this hypocrite. Really, god bless us ALL.

January 20, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  5. Don, MA

McCain is the only guy who can keep the Republicans from being destroyed in '08. Sentiment is so bad for them right now, I see no way they can win the presidency. However, if nominated, people will recognize McCain's abilities and experience, and vote for the guy, not the party. He can bring the independents and the anti-Hillary vote.

January 20, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  6. Karl, Atlanta, Ga.

Chuck is being the hatchet man. He seriously suggests that was the main reason he didn't back McCain? Be honest, Chuck, it's because of McCain-Kennedy, McCain-Lieberman, McCain-Feingold. Reagan was 70 when he took over and lived another 23 years. Do your own dirty work, Huckabee, and lose like a winner.

January 20, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. Karl, Atlanta, Ga.

p.s. It's the same reason I do not support McCain but that kind of RINO Republicanism is why I do not support tax-happy Huckabee.

January 20, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  8. George, Billerica, Mass.

More attacks that will backfire in Florida, just as I think they did in South Carolina. McCain should laugh these comments off, make a good joke, and encourage Huckabee to say more stupid things; he'll then come in 4th next week and will never get the nomination.

January 20, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  9. Art

I saw CNN interviewing McCain about an hour ago. CNN said 3 out of 10 votes in South Carolina for McCain, were from Republican's, and asked grumpy, how can you win the Republican vote from here on out? He graveled, I won fare and square, and got the most votes!! My friends....

Just wait unil 29 January in Florida, when only Republican's can vote in the Republican primary.... Don't know what kind of politic's they played in IA, MI, NH, NV and SC, letting anybody vote... Hopefully, a true Republican candidate will emerge, from 29 Jan on out. Anything to this point is a fluke. Those State's need to relook their primary process, especially with all the media attention, and influence on future votes for the candidate's. Maybe one of the ones who dropped out, was actually the true choice of the Republican party because the Democrat's, Independent's, etc didn't like either Democrat candidate, and voted for a moderate Republican instead, or... sabatoge.. think not... and we are saddled with a 2nd or 3rd choice.

January 20, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  10. David....Nevada

I dont think anyone is capable of counting all the skeletons in McCain's closet.. His political career sags under the weight of all that cronnisism. It shows on his face too... He is the pure essence of an "insider". Looking at him makes me tired and I'm half his age. He's way to old and might even fall asleep at the wheel.. He's not my idea of a leader and reminds me of one large "snooze button"..

January 20, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. Ab Stein

It sure seems to me that chucke-hucke campaining is a a big joke. No one but a bunch of bapists are voting for this new couple. The two things them have in common are they are both evangelical bapists and hateful people. Crash and burn shall be their new slogan for the dynamic duo of egos.

January 20, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  12. mike

really y'all whenever a knucklehead celeb comes out and politics for anyone, don't they lose credibility for whoever they are supporting? say what you want about 'the mac' but he actually has been working with 'others' look at his record, and has been voting for his constituents for his career, unlike others who vote the party line all the time.
    seriously though, chuck is on pretty thin ice calling somebody old anywho, how old is he now? (10 March 1940) oh yeah that would make him sixty friggin eight... far as i remember he could collect social security, right?

January 20, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  13. PROUD TEXAN

Once again the Grand Wiz HuckaBeast has one of it's sleazy henchmen do a "hit" on one of ther other candidates while he prolcaims to his flock that His High HuckaBeast continues to walk on water and remain beyond reproach in all his glory and god-like perfection...makes me wanna puke.

Kinda like the anti-Mormon Christams cards, eh Huckycheezer??? Or the anti-Mormon anti-Romney push polls...foloowed by the anti-McCain, and the anti-Thompson push polls and comments??? eh CheezyHucksterChuckster?

Then His High HuckaBeast holds a press conference after he loses to Romney and McCain insinuating that HE ALONE is the only perfect candidate who DOESN'T engegae in the VERY things he has engegaed in throughout the entire campaign...he even being the initiator af all the NEGATIVE ATTACK campaigning.

Furthermore, if His High HuckaBeast care about AMERICA and AMERICANS..he would have at least showm a bare modicum of self-restraint and attacked Mitt Romney personally and not EVERY MAN, WOMAN and CHILD born into an Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints household. That vile disgusting bigotry sverely and possibly PERMANENTLY damaged the goodwill, and positive relationships among all the various Christian churchs and religious groups and these Mormons. The hurt, and sense of betrayal by their fellow "Christians" wil not heal anytime soon. And the trust that USED to be there is no longer. THANKS TO MICHAEL HUCKABEE, bigot extraordinaire.

Singed, From a hurt LDS Christian Tejano in South Texas. I can't stomach this kind of "Christianity" any more. Not Huckabee's version of it at least. The fellowship the various Christian organizations and their membership USED to have bewteen them have been destroyed by this BEAST..this HuckaBeast (666?)...

January 20, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. Jack

Chuck Norris is right about McCainiac for many reasons. I respect his service time and sympathize with his harsh POW time. However, he is not fit to be a US Senator much less President. I really think he is mentally unstable, especially since he seems totally unwilling to consider the opinions of most of the Republican Party. He is a RINO who has backstabbed this country and his party many times. Amnesty is total treason–betraying the legal citizens of this country. Sen Goober Grahamnesty is another RINO who needs to be defeated. In real years, McCainiac is likely over 80 due to his harsh years as a POW.

January 20, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. Mimi Portland OR 97202

Huckabee is so dumb he couldn't pour sand out of his shoes. Why should CNN or anybody else care what Chuck Norris, that great statesman and political expert, says about McCain or anything else? CNN has sunk to a new low—and it's getting harder and harder for them to do that.

January 20, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  16. Eric

The great Alice Cooper once said that anyone who takes political advise from a rock star is an idiot. The same goes for actors. Chuck, shut up and act! I could care less which candidate you support. And incidentally, supporting Huckleberry Huckster proves my point.

January 20, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. TC

I can't believe Chuck Norris brought up age with regards to the presidency. That's getting a little desperate for me. Run on issues guys. If you don't have anything to say about your record, go home. Huckabee seems to use a lot of dirty tricks and deceit in his campaign, that scares me, a lot. He will say two different things in one sentence- "I don't start negative campaigning like that Thompson who can't get out of bed early enough to hear my campaign.". That wasn't word for word but, you get the jest of it. that was negative about Thompson while he was saying he isn't negative! I couldn't vote for him ever. I want an honest candidate in the White House. Is that asking for too much? Let's put Thompson in there and get some things done.

January 20, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. jose

im voting for mccain because he will give me amnesty !!! go mccain andale!!! si se puede !!!!

January 20, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. Yadi

You know if CNN would stop reporting every time HUCKABEE"S camp sneezes less people would know about him.

Man has almost NO MONEY, almost NO STAFF and yet getting the numbers.

McCain is a good man, period.

But you got to give credit when it is deserved. Huckabee has been given serious looks by many due to his ability to keep up the fight with one arm tied behind his back (funding). And we all know, it is due to much more, than dear old Mr. Norris.

Norris needs to own up and admit that was a dumb comment and way off base.
    But that was Chuck's comment and NOT Mike Huckabee.

I am always amazed how much Huckabee gets to you people. Can't help but wonder is he a real threat. The more you all flip out over silly things such as these, the more I stick around to see what else Huckabee has to say. I guess the same is happening to others.

So thanks CNN. You have made me see that Huckabee just might deserve my vote!

January 20, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Yadi

Hey, who else is going by Yadi? Thanks for backing up my comments. Get your own thoughts!

January 20, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  21. Yadi P of Southern CA

That would be me, Yadi P of Southern CA. I think its nice we both think alike!
    HUCKABEE!

January 20, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  22. NoRespect

I just checked chuck's bio. He was born in 1940. Seems to me if we can't trust McCain at 72, can I trust chuck's opinion at 67 or 68?

January 20, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. Steve

CHUCK NORRIS IS A MORON!! I cannot stomach this idiot. No wonder celebrity edorsements don't really matter to most people because of idiot crackpots like him. I wish he would crawl back into that hole he climbed out of...

January 20, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  24. Don

Yes...Reagan was 70...and one of the WORST PRESIDENTS THIS CENTURY!

Face it Republicans...you got nothin' to bring to the table!

January 20, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  25. pam Eugene OR

That is pretty low huckster. I have seen John McCains' mother at many of his events. She is sharper at 95 than than Huckabee or Norris ever will be. If you can't play fair Huck go back to the 18th century where you belong. I would take McCain any day over a nut case like you. I can't wait to get out of the South. You will plummet to the ground like a rock.
    There is nothing to you except you bible thumping red neck opinions and you are not capable of leading our great nation.
    So Huck...take your pole and ride it right out of where the good people live.
    Bye, Bye Huck and don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. You are not half the man McCain is!

January 20, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |