January 21st, 2008

Blitzer: Thanks for your questions - watch tonight for answers

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/21/art.wolfdebate.cnn.jpg caption="The CNN/CBC debate airs tonight beginning at 8 ET"] MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - As I get ready for tonight’s Democratic Presidential Debate here in Myrtle Beach, I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all your help.

Last week, when I asked for some ideas for questions for our two-hour debate tonight co-sponsored with the Congressional Black Caucus Institute, I had no idea that literally thousands of you would respond. Yes, there were a few wacky questions, but I was totally impressed by most of the others.

My confidence in our viewers has been reinforced dramatically. You are smart and deeply concerned about the state of our country, and your questions were terrific. Suzanne Malveaux and Joe Johns - who will be joining me tonight in the questioning - have gone through your suggestions, and asked me to thank you as well.

Hundreds of you want us to ask questions around the theme of 'change.' How can we change the country so that it works? “This country is torn apart,” one person wrote us. “We need someone in the White House that will not only lead, but who will help heal the rifts between Americans.”

Many others were focused on the economy, health care, education and experience. “I would like to know what mistakes were made in the Clinton Administration that will help Sen. Clinton be a better president than the other current candidates?” one viewer asked.

Many of you want us to find out what the Democratic candidates, if elected, would like to do as soon as they took the oath of office. “What would be your top priority in your first 100 days?” asked one viewer. Another wanted to know: “What initial steps would you take in the first 100 days to repair our international reputation and get the world community to believe in the ideal of America?"

And at this debate scheduled on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, many of you who want us to focus on the continuing problems of race in the United States.

We have two hours tonight for the debate. That seems like a long time but it will go quickly, and in the end, so many good questions will not be asked or answered. I know many of you will feel frustrated, but I hope we don’t disappoint you. Thanks again.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Bonnie Khatri

I am watching CNN Dem. debate. How unfair to the public can the CNN debate get. Three of what they call top runners. Who are they to tell us who are and should be the top runners. This should be our choice at the polls. We deserve the right to here all candidates ideas.

Bonnie Khatri

January 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  2. Chad

VOTE FOR HILLARY!

January 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. DAVID

ALL OF THESE ISSUES ARE NOT ONLY RACIALSUBJECTS...THEY AFFECT US ALL...IM AN AMERICAJN..
    .SUBPRIME?
    SINGLE, GAY. SINGLE MOMS?
    HEALTHCARE.
    ..SINGLE,GAY.WHITE,UNEMPLOYED.SINGLE MOMS..PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS? BANKRUPTSY LAWS.....AJOKE IF IT WERNT ALL FOR BIG....BUSINESS...WHO DO YOU THINK WILL COME OUT AHEAD..THEM OR ME. ME.. ME,,,

January 21, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Dee

I'm watching the debate and Senator Clinton look confused, misguided and lost without Bill.

January 21, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. Kathy

Have you ever thought about re-broadcasting the debate after fact-checking and displaying flags above the candidates - red flag – outright wrong facts; green flag – very solid facts; yellow flags – some truth, some fiction

If the candidates knew this was going to happen, it seems we might get closer to the truth!

...Kathy

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  6. Tom Greene

Where were the immigration questions?

January 21, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  7. El Grande

"Becuase CNN does not forward certain comments; its bias is clear."

It is clear that Clinton is going to do whatever it takes, and make whatever deals are necessary, to win the White House. I hope Hillary wins the nomination, that way blacks and hispanics will vote Republican. Go Hillary.

January 22, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  8. El Grande

How about Joe Johns clear hatred for Obama?

January 22, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  9. El Grande

Is Joe Johns representing the media, the gays, or the blacks? It is hard to tell which, but it is easy to tell he hates Obama. Go CNN and keep supporting Hillary!

January 22, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  10. Morryb

Shame of the news media....you have left the country down by focusing on crap issues instead of the positions of the candidates...well I guess it is a new form of entertainment for you...newstainment or politicotainment...shame on all of you

January 23, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |