January 21st, 2008

McCain: Chuck Norris might have to deal with my mom

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/images/01/21/art.mommccain.gi.jpg caption="Can Roberta McCain put Chuck Norris in his place?"]
MIAMI (CNN) - Sen. John McCain on Monday dismissed concerns about his age raised by action-film star Chuck Norris, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee's most famous backer.

Norris, who has cut tongue-in-cheek campaign ads for Huckabee, told reporters at his Texas ranch Sunday that serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years?" Norris asked as Huckabee looked on. "Eighty-four years old - and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?"

McCain sighed theatrically when asked about that remark Monday.

"I'm afraid I may have to send my 95-year-old mother and wash Chuck's mouth out with soap," he said.

McCain, who won Saturday's Republican primary in South Carolina, was on the stump in south Florida.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Dave

Lets see....Chucky played a tough guy in the movies......Mr. McCain was a POW for several years. Hmmmmm...Who should I salute??????

January 21, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  2. faboomama

Great...we have the bizarro campaign where Team Clinton is going for a 3rd term and McCain wants to send in his mommy. I won't even touch the ageist comments Team Chuckabee. Can the adults finish out the campaign now, children?

January 21, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. Bill

One point about Norris' age comments about McCain, and Huckabee's remark about McCain's hairdresser no one seems to have picked up on: Norris is only 3-1/2 years younger than McCain, born March 10, 1940. McCain was born on August 29, 1936. If you ask me, it's Norris dipping into the Clairoll for men, and certainly not McCain

January 21, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  4. stirlingmclaughlin

I'm not a huge McCain fan but I would love Love LOVE to see Chuck Norris get his butt kicked by a little old lady.

In fact I would pay money to see that.

January 21, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  5. Harold Jr.

All bs. aside, Senator McCain's mom looks GOOD!
    Mother Mccain looks better than most women of her race, in their 50's.
    She eliminates any arguement of the senator's longevity, lest we forget his durability, for so many years in a prison camp in Vietnam.

Keep it Real, Republicans!
    Age, not so long ago, used to be considered a required attribute for the job.

January 21, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  6. Michelle M

I think Chuck Norris, Oprah Winfrey, Usher, etc endorsements should not sway voters. Voters need to look at the issues of each candidate and what candidate has the best plan to turn this country around.

January 21, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. Lisa in AZ

I don't know what's funnier – the comment above relating 'Reaganomics' to any kind of 'economic bonanza' or the visual of Mama McCain taking on Chuck Norris! Say what you will about John McCain, but he cracks me up! Go John go!

January 21, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  8. Mellowfellow

My mom is 96 and she agrees that Chuck Norris needs to have his mouth washed out with a strong soap like she used in the 1930's to teach him a little respect for his elders.

January 21, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  9. K. Wilkinson

Chuck Norris against McCain's mom....?

I say McCain's mom knocks him out in the third round! Chuck only makes it that far cause McCain's mommy feels sorry for him.

Romney 2008.

January 21, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  10. Jason

Get your facts straight it was Lyndon Johnson that brought us to war. Kennedy was against the war. That's why they killed him.

Regan was too old too, by the end of his second term Regan was nodding off during cabinet meetings.

And anybody that thinks that McCain isn't a little too long in the tooth is not on this plane of reality.

January 22, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  11. Candi

I hate it when they attack each other.

Please just keep to what you are going to do for American.

January 22, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  12. Brasileiro

I think she can beat him.

January 22, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  13. Andrew

A non-issue, McCain is to old to be president, that is known wether Norris said it or not.

January 22, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  14. Mark, Tampa, FL

McCain's Record:

–voted against the Bush tax cuts, one of only two Republican senators to do so;

–twice authored the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill with its Z Visas and path to citizenship;

–has done nothing to accelerate the construction of the border fence;

–stands behind McCain-Feingold even after the Supreme Court has struck down portions of it as unconstitutional;

–defends the Gang of 14 even though a long line of vacancies on the courts of appeal existed at the end of 1006 (and has only gotten longer in 2007);

–worked with Lindsey Graham to destroy the GOP's agenda in September of 2006 by grandstanding over the interrogation and treatment of terrorists bill;

–opposed drilling in ANWR; NOW supports kyoto treaty

–opposed the Federal Marriage Amendment, twice;

–advocates a massive energy tax; (he even dictates why type of light bulbs you can use)

–backed the law of the sea treaty ( which gives control over our SOVEREIGN NATION TO THE UN:

__Hates and punishes success: tells Corporate America to shove it: so Corporate America moves off shore

___supports GOVERNMENT PAID FOR EMBRYO Stem cell research

___Anti alternative energy, then pro alternative energy then anti alternative energy

Sen. John McCain has quietly been piling up flip-flops, including ditching his long-held support for the Law of the Sea convention and telling bloggers he now opposes the DREAM Act to legalize illegal alien students.

The sea treaty has become the latest litmus test for the 2008 Republican presidential field, and after a decade-long record of public support for it, Mr. McCain has pivoted to bring himself in line with the rest of the candidates.

Washington times October 2007

January 22, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  15. Allen

The fight between McCain and Huckabee gives Giuliani something to smile about going into Florida.

Sending my Mom? McCain too old? Oh Geez, thse two campaign kids fighting in the sandbox needs to calm down.

Well, at least Giuliani is talking about tax cuts and leading America. Thats the leader we need in these challenging times.

Go Rudy Go!!!!!

January 22, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  16. Derrick

Your "McCaikn" was recently the tag team partner of Ted Kennedy's immigration bill. He also voted against the Bush tax cuts twice but now says that they should be permanent.

Yeah he's a real hero alright... the last political survivor of the Keating Five from the 1980s savings and loan scandal. Look that up and then tell me this guy should be president.

If anyone out there is still a conservative and wants to save the economy and stop the middle east blowback, they should take a look at the other old guy, Dr Ron Paul, the only real hope for America.

January 22, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  17. Richard, FL

"The economic bonanza during Clinton's first period was inherited as a result of Reaganomics. Remember?????"
    -----------------------------
    For the historically challenged, Clinton did NOT follow Reagan, he followed G. W. Bush. Remember??????

Reagan's "Voodoo Economics" was such a failure under Bush#41 that it cost him re-election. "It's the economy, stupid". Remember????

The Reagonomics that failed under Bush suddenly started working under Clinton? Sure.

Bush economics have resulted in a 50% increase in our national debt. Clinton had the largest surplus ever. Apparently Republicans believe that Reagonomics only work well now if a Democrat is in office. Sounds good.

January 22, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  18. faboomama

Why are my comments always "awaiting moderation"? 6 Comments were approved after mine. If this one doesn't get posted, that will make it was 55 comments CNN never approved? I wonder if I used some blatant lies, racism or campaign talking points if my posts would get approved faster.

January 22, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  19. dave

McCain is America's last hope! From what I see he is the only person poltically and personally mature enough to lead the greatest nation on earth! Everyone else is still playing (bickering) in the sandpit!

January 22, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  20. Jose Card - Independent

Mrs. McCain looks gorgeous and sharp at 95.
    She reminds me of the pink bunny in the ever ready battery commercial.
    Keeps going, going, ...

January 22, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  21. Mrs. America

Great response from John McCain. I am enjoying (almost) every moment of this campaign. Sikking Mrs. McCain on Chuck Norris with a bar of soap. Can Bill Clinton dance, etc. Light moments in an ultra-serious campaign.

CNN, you do a great job with your political coverage, at least in the Sit Room which is what I watch, and here on the Ticker, which has become a highlight of any free time I find in my days. Ballot Bowls are also superb.

A suggestion–tomorrow (today your time) someone should present Wolf Blitzer with an "I survived the S.C. Dem debate" T-shirt.

And now I have to go to bed. Your excellent coverage has been causing me a shortage of sleep lately. Thank you.

January 22, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  22. Samantha

Blah, blah, blah! I wish Chuck Norris would stick to his lousy total gym infomercials and take Huckabee with him. Who cares if McCain is too old? I would rather have my grandfather in the White House than a religious nut case who can only pander votes.

January 22, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  23. Susan

Chuck Norris is indifferent enough, an evil actor who dominates the martial arts. Better do his movies of fourth category because the politics is not his fort, does not know anything.

January 22, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  24. Matt

John McCain is too old to be president Chuck? He is only 4 years older than you incase you can't tell time or forgot your own age due to your early onset of senility. Lay off the red hair dye.

January 22, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  25. Susan

pretty harsh...sending his mommy to face the greatest force in the universe

January 22, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |