January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Edwards' skillful response

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - John Edwards just gave a very skillful answer on a question that could have been a trap. He was asked about the historical candidacies of both Clinton and Obama, and what role gender and race will play in this year's election. He provided a convincing answer - that he isn't going to try to meddle in the process people use to choose a candidate - that sounded above the whole race-gender fray that has dominated that back-and-forth between Obama and Clinton of late.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Jeanne

I think John Edwards is the only one to run this country........Let Hillary and Obama keep battling each other, but I still like Edwards.........Obama is young and Hillary has moved to far to the center and will keep this country in the financial hole to bolster her own personal gains........not ours

January 21, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. Nathalie

Edwards policies are the best. He comes across as being the most committed.

I don't see how it could possibly be too late for Edwards with the lions share of the country still left to hold primaries and caucuses. Very few people have actually weighed in. Surely Audrey is not implying that no one will have a differing opinion than the states that have already voted. If that were the case, then why continue on with Super Tuesday?

January 21, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. andrew

Edwards is the most progressive candidate still in the running. If he can hold out long enough he can be gone to to eliminate the issues of race and gender.

January 21, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. clairbloom

He's a self-serving son of the south. A personal injury lawyer who has made his money off the misery of others.
    Obama is a self serving African American who is constantly trying to make this election about race.
    Hillary is the only credible candidate on the stage and in the race. There are 47 more states that are solidly behind Hillary Clinton. You will see Obama and Edwards campaigns run out of hot air quickly after S. Carolina.

January 21, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. Ann

Edwards is winning my vote in this debate.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. Sandra

John Edwards has been ignored by the media and convinced the citizens that the race is only between Obama and Clinton. He's great...and it's not over yet. People need to listen to him, demand the media cover him equally, and compare his experience and ability to the other two candidates.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  7. A. Lacy

One of the interesting observances is that Obama has been more comfortable with predominantly white audiences in previous debates than in tonight's. Another is that Sen. Edwards has been "the uniter, not the divider" tonight.

January 21, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  8. Peluche

Extremely articulate, miles ahead of the other two candidates. Too late for John, too bad. Had he come out swinging right off the gate, he could have been a major player in this.

January 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  9. Sam

Bill, it sounded over the fray because he is over and above the best candidate out there. If you in the media would give him half the FREE media time that you give the others, he would show up better in your stupid polls.

January 21, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  10. evelyn

John hardithat is how I feel about bring about "CHANGE" Barack never goes on to tell us how he willbring about that "CHANGE" and what exactly is it that he is going to "CHANGE"?

January 21, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. Anita

John has shown real leadership and control tonight. I think he has established himself as the best candidate for the Democratic party. He has as many and more resolutions and ideas on the key issues than Hillary or Barack. He is more interested in the middle class which is the key to the Democratic party. He will speak for us which is what we want in a president. He is not just about winning for himself but about winning for all of us.

I think we will see him rise exponentially in the next caucuses and primaries.

I know he has my vote!

January 21, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  12. Louise

Hillary did a great job, she showed she's smart, she's experienced, she's hardworking, and she's tough. Going up against CNN and the other candidates she's done a great job. I want a tough president in the WH, not a wimp. I'm not sure that Obama is tough enough, though I like him, he's trying hard, but he's not ready for prime time, just yet.

Hillary held her own tonight, she can hold her own on the world stage when she's president.

Hillary/Edwards ticket is my wish in November!

January 21, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  13. nick in philly

Does John Edwards consider Trial Lawyers a "special interest group"? I think most would consider it as such. How much $ has he taken from them? Time to stop with the holier than thou attitude and fess up.

January 21, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  14. Karoly L

Another reason John Edwards would be great is because he has to work harder to establish his footing, as he has been ignored so completely by the press, probably because he is not as novel as Clinton, a white woman, or Obama, an African-American man. I still think Edwards would get everything accomplished that he has set forth in his agenda. Clinton would get bogged down by the opposition of the Republicans who hate her because of her husband. Obama doesn't have the experience in his record to show that he has the fortitude to stand up to the Republican opposition. Edwards is the complete package.

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  15. Jim Sasser

John Edwards has been severely under covered. Tonight he has shown his true self once again. That is he is the only one of the 3 candidates that truly has the experience , the drive, the determination and the most important issue to me and I believe most people and that is "Believability" I believe John Edwards and I hope most people see beyond the novilty of a woman and a black running and truly vote their conscience.

January 21, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  16. Joseph

It always looks the same way, Hillary seems to be the only one who knows what she is talking about, it is a shame that Obama, tries to put her down, just to make himself look better

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  17. Amy in GA

I like John Edwards, He seems like a good guy. I think it should be a Barack Obama/ John Edwards ticket.

January 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  18. Joseph

It is clear why Edwards is doing better today than even, because he has nothing to lose now (since he lost already) , and he is talking from his heart, now he can finally say what he really thinks.

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. Joan

I was a Hillary supporter until the second debate. Now I am an Obama supporter and financially too. I would rather see Obama as President and Edwards as Vice President.

I personally have had enough of the Clinton/ Bush dynasties. I don't know what 35 years and 16 years of experience Hillary has. I believe she is very deft at misrepresenting the achievements of other Democrats. I do get the feeling she will say anything, as Obama stated, to get elected.

I believe that Edwards is genuine in his attempts to eradicate poverty in America. He has ideas that are well thought out.

Obama "08.

January 21, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  20. Katinka

The truth is that Edwards policies are more positive to women AND African Americans in this country! Looking at the web sites of all candidates, Edwards is by far more passionate and liberal than either Hillary or Barak.
    I had no idea, but it's true!
    If I hear one more time Barak "spinning" on why he only voted "present" 100 times, I will scream!
    I want a president who will take a stand. Not flip flop like Obama and Hillary! Edwards will do that!

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  21. ripoffreport.com

you can't trust Hillary

January 21, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. Murry

I hope that people are smart enough to see past Billary's false accusations. Shame on them.

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  23. millly

Bill Clinton is a great fundraiser for the Party. The Party does not want to stand in the way of the first African American candidate.

I hope that the talking heads at the notworks and the Party heads will notice Edwards. He is the best candidate.

January 21, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  24. Dawn

I am surprised that the candidates said very little about the state of our educational system in this country. The next presidents gender or race does not matter to me or many other americans. We want domestic issues addressed. We want someone that will get the job done and that have a plan that will move this country to be "once again" the greatest country in the world. A country that the rest of the world respects.

January 21, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  25. Judy Izzo

The race is only between Obama and Clinton for those ignorant enough to be led around by their noses by the corporate media. Since the large (corporate owned) mass media has "decided" to continue with a media blackout of John Edwards, we hear daily only about the candidates that they have chosen to allow us to elect. We should be outraged at their behavior. Every straw poll on progressive radio stations shows John Edwards as the winner. He is the only candidate not tied to big business and corporate lobbyists. Go, John!

January 21, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |