January 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama on race

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - Obama is sticking with his smart strategy tonight of avoiding the racial candidate label. He navigated a tricky question well, and reminded the crowd he's not running as a black candidate.  It was an answer that continues to go over very well.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Tom Davie

You mean:

Obama: I dont have to say Im running as a black man. I got all my surrogates OBVIOUSLY doing it for me. Picking at whatever the Clintons say. Rallying african american leaders to bug the Clintons. Get the CNN guy to STUMP for me on every show.

I am winning the african american vote, so I dont have to state the obvious. This way i can have my cake and eat it too. I can suckhole the white vote as a change candidate, and win the black vote becuase I am black.

This is what he was really saying.

January 22, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  2. Jane

A really bright observation from Franny4tuna..., 9.50 pm.

January 22, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  3. Bayousara

It is really hard to be a "black candidate" when your mother is caucasian from Kansas.

I too am sick of the race thing because there really isn't a race thing.

I think the media started the race thing and continues to encourage it.

As a retired female living mostly on social security, and with the costs of medical insurance eating away at my meager income, I am not sure just what I will be living on in only one year.

Forget paying for meds, even with the "help" we are getting on drug benefits.

And for those of us who have already "earned our income," we won't even be eligible for Bush's rebate.

THESE are some of the issues I am concerned about.

Then there are the wars.

January 22, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  4. Kofi

Cjbc,

At times it seems necessary to remind Americans that this is still the United States of America and there's plenty of history that suggests that a child born of mixed ancestry, that is black and white, is considered black in this country. One drop of, not only black, but African blood to be exact, nixed Barak Obama's chance of ever running as the nation's first half black/half white presidential candidate. No matter how many African American or black ancestors are in our last 43 presidents historical line they will be known as white presidents. Alternatively, Barak Obama will be the first president if he is elected. In American football terms that's called a gut shot and my friend I suggest you take that dose of reality to the head. Go Giants.

January 22, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  5. js

"obama on race: he is half white too. someone called in about this on cspan. we would like to have him acknowledge that by speaking about his white mother and grandparents, is he ashamed of them? we have already heard and seen his black grandparents on tv and information on his father." –cjbc

cjbc, I'm not sure who the "we" you refer to is exactly. Are you speaking on behalf of all whites? If so please cross me off that list. That aside, Obama has frequently discussed his mother's side of the family both in his books and on the stump. Both his mother and her parents' photos have been used in campaign ads. In fact, he references them far more often than his father's family as if that should matter.

Is this the next wave? The Muslim smear is pretty much all out of gas, the attempts to portray his church as an extremist Black Nationalist organization never really got off the ground, so now it's time to bristle at his not tripping over himself to remind everyone that he's half white too.

Please, racists of America, just admit you won't vote for a person of color and stop trying to excuse your decision based on some twisted perverted logic. At the very least you'll be intellectually honest for a change.

January 22, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  6. jane

He navigates around every issue well, that's the problem! Not what America needs right now. Maybe he should stick to giving speeches, that he DOES do well!

January 22, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  7. Mariann Pepitone

Obama is running as a black candidate although he lies to the public. Why do you think he wants to make history as the first black president? Its not because he's white. He's only half white but looks all black. I doubt even if he wins in South Carolina that he will win the big states to win the nomination. I think Hillary has that wrapped up.

January 22, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  8. Mariann Pepitone

If you are smart enough to read between the lines Bill Clinton is known as the black man's president. He is very well liked in the black communities. Obama seemed to stutter somewhat last night and he definately cannot speak as well as Hillary and Edwards. He may win South Carolina but he isn't going to win too many states. Hillary will capture the nomination. There is no way Obama could beat John McCain or Mitt Romney for the presidency. From the polls in New York Hillary is leading Obama by a nice percentage. What happened to Obama in Nevada even with the endorsements I predict will happen again in Texas and Arizona. He will not be president.

January 22, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  9. charlotte

Obama would make a great preacher, a modern day MLK. I feel like I'm being preached to everytime he speaks. Love thy brother, unite, yes we can, yes we can, praise the LORD, yes we can. The LORD can, Obama, I'm not so sure. He needs to decide if he wants to be a preacher or a politican. There is a great divided between the two!

January 22, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  10. Helen

obama not playing the race card!!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK.....The media have given him a free pass. Is it be cause of race? Iguess you all will have to answer that.
    When opera was in SC she used her southren accent....shows they think people in the south are idiots.

January 22, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  11. Joan

I am not making a comment, but asking a question. Shwy is it that when a person is of mixed race, as is Senator, Obama, he or she associates themselves with African Americans? As a caucasion, I am insulted by that. He has caucasion roots, and that has been overlooked completely by the media, and, apparently, by him as well. It is as if his mother's heritage means nothing to him or his Black supporters. Don't get me wrong, I think it is wonderful that a person of color is a viable candidate. It is about time, just as it is about time for a woman to be a viable candidate. But it bothers me that he is considered only an African American when he is not fully Black.

January 22, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. Leney

The Clintons epitomize all the people one has to deal with in life that cheat and twist every piece of information and situation to make it work for them. They are completely unethical and Bill especially is morally bankrupt. Why would the American people want THAT in a president?! Wake up people! Barack Obama wants to change the way things are done and how they are done. It will never happen if people do not support a candidate that can do that as Obama can.
    There are enough people out there that can make it happen if we vote and support him.

January 22, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. Vanessa

Wasn't Senator Obama's comment about Bill Clinton's dancing skills a racist comment? Was he suggesting all Blacks can dance? Oh wait, that "isn't what he meant". I noticed Senator Clinton and Senator Edwards didn't laugh when the audience did. Now WHOis the one turning this campaign into one about race?

January 22, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Paula

I agree when you have a mixed heritage you have to embrace both parts of yourself. Obama denies his caucausian roots and betrays his grandparents and mothers contributions if he does not acknowledge them publicly. He is a fusion and should be proud of both parts of his enthic backgrounds. I come from a mixed background myself and it gives me an unique perspective. This is a positive! He should be selling himself as a true candidate of unity – not be polarizing. The country needs to heal from racial divisions. Obama running as a purely black candidate contradicts his message. I will be surprised if CNN publishes this message – they seem to only post what is pro-Obama when it comes to race.

January 22, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Lisa, Texas

Joan...it is very difficult to explain the complexity of being interracial. Many have struggled with it. You are foced to chose a side. Regardless. Society demands it.

January 22, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |