January 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Seems like Obama's running against me

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Barack Obama said Monday he felt as though he were campaigning against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. On Tuesday, former President Clinton said he felt the same way.

“I thought he was running against me for a while there in Nevada when he said that Republicans had most of the new ideas, and you had to challenge the conventional wisdom of the 90s. I thought we challenged the conventional wisdom of the 90s,” said Clinton.

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted Nevada Republicans in hopes of securing a win there - a charge that has been denied by Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Clinton said Sunday that his wife Hillary Clinton had “won a victory in spite of a very well-organized, and I might say a very well-executed, strategy by the Obama campaign. Which included doing well in the north of Nevada, where his demographic of upscale voters lived, and by making an explicit effort to get Republicans to come and vote for him in the Democratic caucus."

Related: Watch Bill Clinton's latest remarks regarding Sen. Obama's campaign tactics

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. HC

Bill, are you finished running your mouth yet?

January 22, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  2. Focus

I just knew Bill would have a headline today....

January 22, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. James

Bill is in Obama's head. ... Don't you just love politics.

January 22, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Dave

As someone who voted for Bill Clinton twice his recent antics on behalf of his wifes campaign make me disgusted with him.

Bill, make youself useful and show some class. Jimmy Carter could use some help building houses for the poor.

January 22, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. moe

More spin from the Clintons. Shocking that so many people buy what they're selling.

January 22, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  6. Mike, Houston, TX

The lasting political idea of the later part of the last century was Reagan's less government. Bill did nothing but ride the wave that Reagan created. History will put Bill Clinton on par with notable presidents such as Millard Filmore and Hayes. His 8 years were wasted on perjury defense.

January 22, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. J.P.

Bill Clinton has proven to be a liar. If you don't believe me, open up a textbook on American history.

He has little credibility.

Americans want honest leaders after 8 years of George W Bush.

Lying can help a candidate win a nomination, but it comes back to haunt them in the general election.

John McCain is wrong on the issues, but he speaks his mind and speaks the truth.

January 22, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. deeanna jacobs

The Clinton's are right. I think Obama is new to the game and does not have a chance. Vot e Hillary

January 22, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Clare

Obama is the spin doctor of the century. Here's a guy who is basically to the right of most Democrats, but because he is a good orator he gets people to believe that he is for whatever the listener wants. Skills, yes, presidential, no. It is insulting that Obama keeps on saying that he doesn't know whether he's running against Hillary or Bill–this is sexism, pure and simple!

January 22, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. west palm beach, Hawk

Bill and Hillary please go away you are only doing the democratic party harm. How could anyone believe anything Bill says after lying under oath. It's time to turn the page.

January 22, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. Corey, Maryland

Again with Ronald Reagan quote... when will Bill just shut up and let his wife defend/attack herself, since she is the one that is running for president. If she cant even defend herself or go on the offence imagine what else she cant do on her own when it comes to running a country.

January 22, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Amanda Orlando, FL

If I was Obama, and it's probably a good thing that I'm not, I would come back at Bill with "You started it!"

January 22, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  13. Debbie Silverman

I think Pres. Clinton's response here is clever! It DOES appear that Obama is running against Bill!! If the heat is too hot in the kitchen – get out!! Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Jack K., FT Myers, FL

You're right bill....

Your oppressive presence makes it appear that your are running–again.

Please folks...take a look at John Edwards...he is consistent–shows fiscal restraint–and keeps his promises.

Also–he doesn't come with strings attached nor 190 pounds of greying, blustering baggage!

January 22, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  15. Jason- SC Voter

Obama tried taking on Hillary in previous debates and lost. It's easy to debate Bill, he's not on stage. Yet Obama still seem to flounder. No subsatnce when it comes to issues.

Take it to him, Bill. Make him go hermano y hermana with Hillary on the issues.

January 22, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. Tim

bill is embarrassing himself. he's way out of line. please bill, stop.

January 22, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. dan, tx

Except for 50% of hard core democrats. America is sick of the Clintons. That is half the reason Obama does so well. Those voters will vote republican rather than vote for Clinton – I assure you, I'm one of them.

Obama has very well detailed plans and he is all substance and no spin. Just the opposite of Clinton.

January 22, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. Julie

I wish Bill Clinton would keep his mouth shut. I did not like him when he was president. He needs to go behind the scenes. He is not helping Hillary.

January 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  19. JoAnn Reinhardt

I am totally amazed and greatly disheartened that so many people are falling for the antics of the Clintons once again. He so wants to be in that White House again. Why is there not more being said about Bill's remarks and I do believe that Obama is running against two people, both liars and spin artists. And then Obama is faulted for defending himself. It's a shame that they have so many powerful people behind them, and this I still do not understand. Why are people not getting this!!! If Hillary is the nominee, I have a choice of not voting or voting for a Repulican.

January 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  20. AParsons

If the press wold scrutinize Obama the way they have scoured Edwards and Hillary, Bill Clinton would not have to say a thing. Fair is Fair. Obama has gotten a free ride from the press until now. I hope Bill Clinton does keep calling our attention to Obama's past and future policy positions. After all, that is what I am interested in....not his "movement to change" propaganda.

January 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  21. Larry, New Jersey

Call me old fashion but a man should stand up for his wife, even if she is capable of taking care of herself. If Bill did not campaign for HIllary it would appear as if he did not support her aspiration of becoming president. I'm sure she supported him during his presidential campaigns. If Obama doesn't understand that then perhaps he should talk to his wife about her role.

January 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  22. Enough said.

I have to agree. Obama stuck his face in this one when he clearly indicated that (of all people) Ronald Reagan did something that Richard Nixon and umm......................Bill Clinton did not. Whats Bill supposed to say about something that dramatic?

Who is Barack Obama to challenge Bill Clintons legacy as president? Especially considering Obama is (supposedly) a democrat.

I do not think its reasonable a junior democratic senator needs to be saying this about a sucessfull two term democratic president.

I dont care what kind of Obama 'spin' you put on it, it was also uncalled for, and made a lot of democrats angry who hated Ronald Reagan.

Obama stepped into this one himself.

January 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  23. Aris, Germany

For someone who thinks he is a political genius, doesn't Bill understand this race is about delegates? Obama won Nevada Bill, not Hillary, and he did it right under your nose. Meh! He was probably napping again. But, then again, Slick Willy has always had a strained relationship with the truth.

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. bond

Bill Clinton believes he "challenged conventional wisdom" by cheating on his wife and messing around with an intern in the white house.

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  25. pastClintonFan

I used to be a Clinton fan. His attacks on Obama are ruining his image and his legacy. Are the two ready and willing to do anything just to be back in the white house?

January 22, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |