January 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Seems like Obama's running against me

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Barack Obama said Monday he felt as though he were campaigning against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. On Tuesday, former President Clinton said he felt the same way.

“I thought he was running against me for a while there in Nevada when he said that Republicans had most of the new ideas, and you had to challenge the conventional wisdom of the 90s. I thought we challenged the conventional wisdom of the 90s,” said Clinton.

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted Nevada Republicans in hopes of securing a win there - a charge that has been denied by Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Clinton said Sunday that his wife Hillary Clinton had “won a victory in spite of a very well-organized, and I might say a very well-executed, strategy by the Obama campaign. Which included doing well in the north of Nevada, where his demographic of upscale voters lived, and by making an explicit effort to get Republicans to come and vote for him in the Democratic caucus."

Related: Watch Bill Clinton's latest remarks regarding Sen. Obama's campaign tactics

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Makeba, Houston TX

I will never vote for a Clinton again.

They may win the nomination, but they will not win the general. Democrats like me who value truth will vote for McCain rather than see them rewarded for their games.

Sad that I have to say that. Sad that I refer to the candidate as "they".

I grew up in the Democratic party. One of my first memories was my mother being a delegate for Jesse Jackson. I loved Bill CLinton, and forgave hime so much.

To see what he is willing to do to get elected...makes me sick.

I pray for Edwards and Obama. Seems to me that Bill and Hill are doing what Bush did....appealing to the lowest common denominator rather than our highest ideals.

January 22, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. mmp

I am beyond over the "Clinton dynasty." Too bad considering I did like them initially.

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. Ray

Go after him Bill. He thinks he is so untouchable. Hes a little punk.

Go Hillary!!!

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. dave

it's a winner take all world. who would you want fighting for you – 2 clintons or one obama?

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Jay

Billl I just can not wait for you and your wife to run against the straight talker John McCain. Barack might be civil to you, but John will bring out all your dirt. which will disgust some democrats and independent and we all know independents like John. LOL

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. Nan

Moe,

I totally agree with you...they are really bewitching the American people. I cannot believe more people can not see right through them.

Bill needs to wake up!!! Wake up Bill !!!!

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  7. Kevin, Louisville, Ky

Bill , please stop disgracing the Presidency! You have disgraced it enough with sex, lies and petty theft!!

Please save some respect !! Good to back Hillary but please do it with some decorum and stop the scratching and biting.

You guys will destroy the Democratic party!!

January 22, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. TrueDemocrat

The Clintons' behavior is uncivil, transparent, and plain embarassing. It would be a real shame if they win based on this approach.

January 22, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Alejandro

One of the reasons that Presidnet Bush got elected for his first term is because people were enamored with the idea of him becoming the son of a president to become president. Now people are starting to fall for that all over again by voting for Hillary so that she can become the first wife to become president of an ex-president. Unfortuantely, history tends to repeat itself.

January 22, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. delegator

The Clintons has established a long track record of
    a. saying anything to get elected, and
    b. using the non-candidate spouse for the hatchet work

They clearly don't understand the idea of bringing people together across party lines, largely because they have zero appeal to Republicans and independents themselves. History shows how many "Reagan Democrats" helped the Republicans in the 1980s into the 1990s. Can anybody even picture there being a phrase "Clinton Republicans?"

I didn't think so.

January 22, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Michael

That's right. We simply cannot have Obama being critiscised, right? Give me a BREAK! I'd much rather hear what President Clinton has to say than that empty-suit Obama!!! Contrary to popular beliefe and the spin the media is putting on last nights's debate, Obama lost, and BADLY. He has no substance and cannot take an ounce of critiscism nor will he even entertain discussions regarding his record.

The Clintons have done more for this country in 8 years of their lives than Obama will for the remainder of his.

January 22, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  12. Chanda

You know I never thought I would say this, but Bill...will you please SHUT UP!!! You are not running for President, and in my opinion you are making your wife look like she can not handle her own fights. Not a characteristic I want for the POTUS.

January 22, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  13. Erv.

Please no more dynasties, the Bush crowd was enough. Don't put Bill back in the white house, he had his turn, give us a break!

January 22, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. Jay

To all Hillary supporters, please work hard to have Hillary be nominated. and to run against John McCain. It will be funny to hear all the Clinton dirt out in public. The MSM will have a field day.

January 22, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Jack

I hope that all of us will ultimately be able to unite behind whomever the nominee is. It is good to see Democrats passionate about their preferred candidates, but we cannot hold grudges. This year is too important and it is bigger than all the candidates themselves. We can argue and discuss and fight now (as can the candidates), but we need to get ready to come together after Feb. 5.

January 22, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. Jenny, Paxton, MA

Bill,

You stole Republican policies and called them democratic ideas. you like Bush. Your personal charm aside, you' have been leading the Reagan democrats who have finished the process of the democratic party decline. Now Hillary is calling your reaganite ideas "bad ideas" while she's boasting she has been outdoing Bush / Cheney / Neo-con in foreign affairs. You two are two peas in a pod.

You've done enough harm already. Do not disrupt the people's effort, if you have conscience, to rebuild the party so that we can have a real choice.

January 22, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. len, sparks Nv

Bill Clinton is acting very strange. He looks unhealthy. He just is not the old Clinton that we thought we knew. People change as they age, and he is much older. I doubt he can handle the stress like he did when he was young. If people are voting for Hillary because of Bill, well they might not be getting the same Bill from the 90's. He obviously is losing it a little.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Alejandro

Out of all the Democratic candidates, John Edwards seems to be the real, traditional Democrate to bad the people voters in the first three states don't realize this. A real Democrat stands up and fights for the rights of the "blue collar" worker or the working man. As you can see he is not a celebrity candidate like Obama and Hillary. He is not rubbing elbows with Hollywood or any special interest group. Hopefully the rest of America will see this.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. sue

The problem is he is destroying the Democratic Party for his Wifes gain. He looks trashy. I feel like I am reliving the meaning of "is"! He simply is not telling the truth. He is misleading Voters and calling it "campaigning"! Enough!

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Jeremy, Jacksonville Fl

Bill is defenitely, no first black president. As a black man, I can tell you his tact is uncharacteristic of an African-American Male.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  21. Sam

Dear Mr. Clinton,

Please get out of the way. You're seriously damaging Hillary's campaign with anything you say. Don't believe Mr. Penn when he says that a little bit of image tarnishing on your part is a small sacrifice to payfor the long term gain. This image tarnish strategy will backfire and rub off on Hillary. (Her own image polishing is enough of a challenge in this environment).

The race is so tight, she really can't afford a misstep at this stage. Her calm, confident, regal and sometimes relaxed poise, which has always been her strength, was compromised in this last debate.

Do not be the 'helicopter' husband. It will make Hillary lose the strong, capable, independent minded women's vote. When you were running, you may have had uncanny political sensibilities. But, you are in unchartered territory now. Hillary doesn't play the saxophone and can't melt people like you used to.

Respectfully yours.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  22. htgolf

Clinton has very little character. It still shows how dirty he is. She is still with him. She can't be better than the slime she hands with.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  23. Nan

If Obama is running against Bill as Bill claims....It will not be much of a race because Bill will fall asleep half way around the track.

Hillary...do you still think he is an asset?

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. ExClintonite

I used to love Bill and Hillary. But their recent dirty tricks, say anything to get elected, mud-slinging just before a debate to cause a stir, and soil the opponents reputation has ticked me off. I'm supporting Barack, who is the only honest one in the pack and capable of restoring America back it used to be.

January 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. Bill Clinton has every right

Former President BIll Clinton can do and say as he wishes, just like any other citizen and just like any other of the candidates wives. He is a citizen just like any other and he has every right to speak the truth.

Bill Clinton was a wonderful President. Obama is grasping at straws and punching in the wind, he is not defending his case and is preying upon uneducated people.

January 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |