January 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Seems like Obama's running against me

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Barack Obama said Monday he felt as though he were campaigning against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. On Tuesday, former President Clinton said he felt the same way.

“I thought he was running against me for a while there in Nevada when he said that Republicans had most of the new ideas, and you had to challenge the conventional wisdom of the 90s. I thought we challenged the conventional wisdom of the 90s,” said Clinton.

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted Nevada Republicans in hopes of securing a win there - a charge that has been denied by Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Clinton said Sunday that his wife Hillary Clinton had “won a victory in spite of a very well-organized, and I might say a very well-executed, strategy by the Obama campaign. Which included doing well in the north of Nevada, where his demographic of upscale voters lived, and by making an explicit effort to get Republicans to come and vote for him in the Democratic caucus."

Related: Watch Bill Clinton's latest remarks regarding Sen. Obama's campaign tactics

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. John

And Hillary Clinton doesn't represent change because the only change that will happen is that the Republicans will have a field day and reclaim Congress. Think about it. Half the public hates her already. She can't win but the Democrats will lose the Congress so nothing will change. (I guaruntee, unless the Republicans are not the sleezy, professional-winners that they are). And she will cower in her hole afterwards as she repeatedly has done especially concerning national healthcare in the 1990's. So much for change. Our national needs bold people who will work for the common good and not cowards who hid behind their men when they should work by themselves.

January 22, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  2. CARL NY

OBAMA: IF THE KITCHEN IS TOO HOT; REALLY GET OUT THERE. WE SAW HOW THE MEDIA IS ALL AFTER YOU WHEN YOU PORTRAYED YOURSELF AS AN ANGEL; IN FACT YOU ARE QUITE ATTACKING HILLARY BUT SHE IS TAKING THE PUNCHES ELEGANTLY. THIS IS POLITICS YOU SHOULD PREPARE YOURSELF BEFORE ENTERING THIS ARENA.
    WELL SAID BY EDWARDS YESTERDAY: YOU ARE ATTICKING PEOPLE BUT CRYING FOUL WHEN THEY GET AT YOUR RECORDS.

THIS IS GOOD FOR DEMOCRACY. WE NEED TO KNOW YOU BEFORE VOTING FOR YOU. OF COURSE, THIS IS BILL'S WIFE HE NEEDS TO DEFEND HER. THIS IS THE GAME: SIMPLE!

January 22, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  3. roger, conway sc

GIve them HECK Bill don't take any of the crap from the Obama or GOP supporters. Obama started this silly crap and when he gets some of his own medicine he just can't take it...Hillary held her own with him last night at the debate, Obama acted like a bully kid if he thinks the fellow dems were rough on him just wait until the GOP rips him a new one...I'll bet Jim Clyburn is comforting Obama while he is crying about being picked on...I am so tired of his whining, I know for sure know I will not vote for Obama he just can't take the heat he is not ready for the nominee or president...

January 22, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. Tyler

well, gee golly, Bill, you've inserted yourself into this race so the man has to take both of you on. we may have voted you in twice but we need to stop the Bush/Clinton rule/regime.

January 22, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  5. Tyler in Raleigh

So this is how the Clintons will change Washington?

With lies, dirty tricks and BS. Wait... that seems like 1992-2008 to me.

January 22, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Consider

IF HILLARY CLINTON WAS AS GOOD AS SHE THINK SHE IS. HER HUSBAND WOULDN'T HAVE TO SAY A WORD ABOUT BARRACK. HE MUST KNOW IN HIS HEART, THAT BARRACK IS A THREAT. WHY ELSE, IS HE GOING AROUND BAD TALKING BARRACK.

January 22, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. Simon Roedia

If Clinton gets the nomination I'm voting Republican for the first time and I hope other people do the same.

January 22, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Stephy, Groton Connecticut

"Seems like Obama is running against me".
    Well, newsflash! President Bill Clinton, he is running against your wife!
    And maybe it be best to start referring to him as EX-president. This is a democratic goverment, not Bush-Clinton Imperialism.

January 22, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. Robert

There is documented proof including flyers from the Obama campaign that reached out to GOP members telling them how to re-register on the day of the caucus. For the Obama people to state otherwise is an outright lie.

January 22, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Sam

I don't like Bill Clinton's presence. Forget his legacy, he's already eroding Hillary's, already thin, legacy capital.

I do think, however, that Obama should toughen up. If he continues to use debates to whine "I feel like I'm running against a national war hero" (McCain), then he'll continue to lose older voters on a national scale.

I don't think that an issues debate is an appropriate forum to air or vent your campaign complaints. Everyone knows it's dirty business.

January 22, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Barbara, New Jersey

The so called Reagan plan left us with biggest debt in American History. Fact
    He left George W. Bush with a BIG RECESSION Fact
    all the facts that Obama never speaks of:
    Reagan liked nothing better than busting UNIONS remember the Air Traffic Controllers, they all lost their jobs.

January 22, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. Can no longer support the Clinton's

I have never seen this side of Bill Clinton. It is very upsetting! I can no longer support the Clintons.

Sorry, I am now an Obama Girl.

January 22, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. Tate from Baltimore

Leaving Bill Clinton home alone while his wife on travel, it's like the adult version of the movie "Home Alone". We saw the preview in the 90's and now the whole movie is ready. So America get your pop corn ready . It's going to me a wild one.

January 22, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. john

It was good of Bill to stay awake during the debate

January 22, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  15. myron

It is clear that the Quick-witted Preppy-boy Obama idea of change is to be skillful in manipulating the system to his own personal advantage. PRESENT??? But can he DANCE? Then "I'll decide if he is a BROTHER"!

When a Black Leader compliments Clinton Bill or Hillary - Obama turns everything into a RACE WAR even while pretending to deny that he not doing what he is actually doing right then and there!

What I been trying to do in this campain .... while he does exactly the opposite of words that are comming out of his mouth! Typical politician!

Billy boy doesn't have to dance HE PLAYES THE SAX!

Look into his HEART and MIND before you decide who is white or black.
    Look into his HEART and MIND before you decide who is your friend and enemy.

Ask yourself would you rather shop at Walmarts or live under a slum landlord. Oh I only did a little bit of work for the slum landlord but that's OK because it was through my Church!

January 22, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  16. E, Layton UT, Freiburg Germany

Amen to Ann in MO. Very well said! My wife agrees completely. Thanks for your comment.

January 22, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  17. Look Who's Talking

It seems Hillary is running against three, Michelle Obama and two faced Obama.

January 22, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  18. Mark - Las Vegas

I think Hillary made a great point last night...where's the substance Obama? If you watched closely, he answered all of the questions with either (a) another question targeted at one of his opponents or (b) with the same 'Hope, hope, hope' rhetoric he's been waving around.

But realizing that this IS america after all, and that we elected Dubya TWICE, Obama will probably win the nomination based solely on his 'Hope/Change' speeches (that don't really answer the question of 'How does he plan on making this 'Change"? and his stinging, debate one-liner soundbytes that the media has grown to love so much.

Obama didn't perform as well under direct fire...McCain will eat this guy alive.

January 22, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  19. commonsensenj

Re: "No clear winner emerging"

When the Clinton campaign pointed out that they actually won more delegates in Iowa than Edwards, they were ridiculed by the media and got no traction. When Obama made the same argument following his loss on Saturday in Nevada, it got front-page treatment.

By the way, I don’t recall anyone complaining that Michelle Obama is out there campaigning for her husband.

Fact is, it’s all slipping away from the Obama camp (I’d argue they never had it in the first place) and all they can do is watch — and complain. You can see it in his demeanor.

January 22, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Lucas, Nashville TN

This is simple. The Clintons cannot beat Obama on policy or facts, so they have to attack him, lie to voters, insult minorities, etc...

And the real crime is that people let them get away with it and buy their dog and pony show. Hillary is a NIGHTMARE for true progress – she will galvanize the GOP and we will be at war FOREVER.

I'm sorry if a straight-talker is so hard to handle, but Obama has said nothing worth the controversy. The Clintons just cannot handle losing, and after her trouncing in Iowa, she decided the way to win was to be a terrible feminist and rely on her hubby.

Obama is the only REAL change.

January 22, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. rajendra ram

Most of you guys here are all kool-aid drinkers..Hell, yeah, a blackman who is running for President is surprising and amazing. Some of you seems to feel so HURT by his presence, that you support a hypocrite like Bill Clinton to attack Obama. I for one never believed that Clinton cares for Black people. If he did anything for them, it was for political purpose. We will not vote on election day, it will be a massive boycott. McCain or Romney are a better choice than the Clintins. No more dynasty. .

January 22, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  22. Ryan in Idaho

I couldn't agree more with you there Alex. I want to see a Democrat in the White House again, and that means that i support the candidate who is most likely to win the election in November. If Barack doesn't have the stones to stand up to the mud-slinging within his own party, the Republicans are going to eat him alive if he wins the nomination. That whole voting record thing was what did John Kerry in and the Republican party has to be foaming at the mouth with what they can dig up on Barack's. If all you Clinton haters want to see another Republican president, then by all means, throw your support behind Obama because "He seems nice, and honest, and someone I can relate to." Funny, people said the same thing about Dubya in 2000.

January 22, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  23. Trannon

Bill Clinton is right. All you ever hear is negative, negative, negative about Hillary. Whether it be on the internet or TV!

The media sugarcoats Obama and attempts to tear down Hillary. All I hear from the uneducated masses is how the hate Hillary. Why?

What did Hillary Clinton ever do to earn this much hatred? Is it because Republicans tried to destroy her health care efforts and succeeded? It is because her husband cheated on her?

Why? I don't think there is anything wrong with Hillary. She is a good person, a smart and very strong woman, and she deserves a chance to become the first female President.

I think she'll be even better than Bill!

Bill Clinton has every right to tell it like it is. He told it like it was to Chris Wallace. He told it like it was to Peter Jennings. He told it like it was to in New Hampshire and Nevada.

Bill's anger is justified by the squeaky clean coverage of Obama and the CONSTANT NEGATIVE BARRAGE against The Clintons.

I have always had a sneaky suspicion that Obama is a REPUBLICAN PLANT in order to DIVIDE the Democrats...once again.

CLINTON/EDWARDS '08

January 22, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. hp

1- Hilary represents all races v/s Obama, the blacks.
    2- Hilary represents the families with lower incomes v/s Obama, $100,000 and up
    3- Hilary represents the INVISIBLES v/s Obama the PRIVILEGES.
    4- Hilary has a specific plan for the economy, the healthcare v/s Obama ???
    Hilary 08!

January 22, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. janet

I'm not a democrate but Bill Clinton is one funny guy 🙂 turning the table on Obama by saying that Obama is running against him. I think Bill is trying to point out the adsurd in Obama's whinning. I may not support the Clinton's views on many things but Bill Clinton is one funny guy...in a good way 🙂

January 22, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |