January 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Seems like Obama's running against me

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Barack Obama said Monday he felt as though he were campaigning against both Bill and Hillary Clinton. On Tuesday, former President Clinton said he felt the same way.

“I thought he was running against me for a while there in Nevada when he said that Republicans had most of the new ideas, and you had to challenge the conventional wisdom of the 90s. I thought we challenged the conventional wisdom of the 90s,” said Clinton.

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted Nevada Republicans in hopes of securing a win there - a charge that has been denied by Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Clinton said Sunday that his wife Hillary Clinton had “won a victory in spite of a very well-organized, and I might say a very well-executed, strategy by the Obama campaign. Which included doing well in the north of Nevada, where his demographic of upscale voters lived, and by making an explicit effort to get Republicans to come and vote for him in the Democratic caucus."

Related: Watch Bill Clinton's latest remarks regarding Sen. Obama's campaign tactics

- CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Shrek

Bill Clinton lied to all of us. Just like they are l lying about their facts. All, please know the facts. I will not take the advice from a person who can go on national TV and lie to all of us with straight face. Experience is not worth a hill of beans if you have poor decision making skills. Yes, Barak does not have the experience of being a first lady. But he does have experience in the areas that is needed to lead this country.

January 22, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. Ray

Its Mud Slinging if it comes from the Clintons but if its from Obama then it just facts? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

January 22, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. Greg in OH

Everyone here is the truth:

We are in this situation because during the Clinton administration (2nd term), Clinton repealed the banking laws that were put in place after the Great Depression to avoid the same issues happening ever again and not have another depression. This allowed the banks to get into the mess they are in now. If those laws were not repelled, then the banks could not have been in this situation. Deregulation during the Clinton administration could cause us to go into a deep recession and maybe even a depression if bad enough.

The law repealed was Glass-Stegall, this openned the door for Citigroup to have it large merger.

January 22, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Pat Shepard

Ryan in Idaho said:

If all you Clinton haters want to see another Republican president, then by all means, throw your support behind Obama because "He seems nice, and honest, and someone I can relate to." Funny, people said the same thing about Dubya in 2000.
    (end quote)

Perhaps you didn't notice, Dubya won the election...

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. Kristine, Salt Lake City, Utah

Although HIlary will likely get the nomination and I will likely vote for her because the U.S. needs to get out of Iraq, but I won't be thrilled about it.

During this election, she and Bill have shown us what politics in America is all about and that people who have strong ethics and morals, who don't see issues in black and white terms can't win. It's a real bummer.

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Ray

Have you guys thought about an Clinton/Obama ticket? We would all but lock up the White House for 16 years!!

January 22, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. Mike

The Democratic primary has been held in 4 states. And so far, we've had accusations of voting machine fraud for Hillary's benefit in one state, accusations of voter suppression by the Clinton campaign in a second state, and a lawsuit filed by the Clintons over previously agreed to caucus sites in a third state – And this is only the PRIMARY!

The Clintons and their negativity are the great dividers. Hillary is unelectable.
    Bill thinks he is runnning for president again. They will say anything to get elected.

Go away, Bill.

January 22, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Brad Lexington, KY

Before we elected this moron we had No war, No debt, the economy was doing great, and oh yeah everyday more jobs were NOT leaving the U.S. I say go Hillary the best thing that can happen to this country is to have Bill as the 1st Man in the White House

January 22, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. aisha naeem

obama is breaking rules of camoaign by giving ads in florida and he did that by giving bad ads in nevada too .he still has no answer for his friend renzko . if he cant handle hillary and bill then how will he handle republicans ,all of thenm at once in november .obama is sounding like a baby now .

January 22, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Susan Texas

I love the Clintons and especially Bill. He was the best president in my lifetime of 45 years. I wish he could have been president forever! Hillary has all my support. Those of you with hateful little minds saying all manner of nasty statements about the Clintons, really need to grow up. I can't wait until we have our first female president!

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Dave

Wake up America!! The Clinton's have been lying to us for 16 years!! Do you think it's going to stop now?

January 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. BILLARY

Obama is running against Bill....Because Hillary isnt a viable candidate. She runs on his record. REMEMBER SHE HAS 35 Years experience, lol. SHE HAS NO EXPERIENCE. The white house easter egg hunt does not constitute experience.

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  13. Francis

Vote for Hillary/Obama ticket 2008

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. Jack

Well well well. CNN & cnn.com. It is highly speculated that most people who come to both on a regular basis are Obama supporters to begin with, since CNN is supporting him; I mean, this is the crowd that loves Dobbs. No wonder most of the comments are biased against the Clintons, which means that much of the negative comments here don't really mean anything, because no matter what the Clintons do or did, you'd have nothing good to say about it anyways. So there you go, your comments don't really mean anything. The Democratic party will select Hillary as their choice, only because it is the ONLY choice. Obama will win some here and there, but NEVER a majority. Obama can fool some of the people (like most of you) some of the time, but he is not fooling the majority of Democrats who clearly hear what Hillary & John are saying. Not much to hear from Obama except the word "CHANGE"; beyond that, there isn't much else.

Go ANYONE but Obama

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Es Jay

Hillary can't even run her campaign without Bill's help. Well, at least if you vote for her you'll get two-for-one. What a deal!

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. Clare

How is it that Obama gets to have it both ways? First he says that Hillary'sd experience in the whitehouse doesn't count because she was just the wife–now he says he doesn't know who he is running against...either a spouse is to be considered as part of the package or she/he is not! Or could it be that Obama just isn't able to take a woman seriously, either as First Lady OR as candidate for President??????

January 22, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Tigress

If Hillary is the nominee, I have a choice of not voting or voting for a Repulican.-I'm with you and I'm a hardcore Dem.

January 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. sairefgm

He also hinted again that Obama specifically targeted

THIS IS WHY HILLARY WILL LOSE! NOONE WANTS BILL ANYMORE AN DHOW IN THE WORLD CAN PEOPLE DO THIS TO EACH OTHER IN THE SAME PARTY?

January 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. Parke Stearns

My god, who is running, Bill or Hillary? There is nothing wrong someone supporting you however this is far past the line. If you want to be the most powerful figure in the world, you won't get my vote by using a handicap. My vote goes to who ever can stand on there own two feet.

January 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. aisha naeem

what obama wants is that bill no show up to hillary,s campaign because people do vote more when he is around ,just like he brought oprah to iowa on his campaign and he won ,so hillary was fighting against oprah or obama at that time when oprah got criticized for being racist ,she never showed up again and obama lost so now he is wining ang complaining because he wants to win and he cant .

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Perry

I am so sick and tired of the same old divisive politics it seems that the Clintons' teams is running. They is tearing the Democrats apart just to win. WOW I wander what kind of president shell be. I talk to so many Democrats that are so disgusted with the Clintons campaign, they said if she win they will think about voting Republican.

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  22. Disgusted w/ Clintons

Dave, I agree all the way

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Eric

This primary season has reminded me of why I, although a staunch liberal, will never call myself a Democrat. A blind man could see that Obama has mass appeal whereas Hillary creates mass division.

It is obvious to me that many in the Democratic party did not really have a problem with Rove style tactics, their only problem was that it was a republican using these tactics, not a democrat.

I predict the Democrats will once again defy all odds and loose the general election in '08.. What a bunch of losers.

January 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. cdj

This is one of the most prevalent issues with the U.S. electorate today. More registered voters care about petty arguments such as the current feud between Senator Clinton and Senator Obama rather than their policies. Both have solid political agendas and policies to reform the health care system and make college tuition more affordable for the middle class, but no one seems to care about it. I'm in favor of Senator Clinton's proposed tax cuts on the middle class to make a college affordable for lower income families and the legislation she's introduced to promote universal, affordable health care. Democratic voters have to focus on who will have the most empirically effective agenda once they get into office, and the candidate who will be more aggressive about their initiatives, everything else (race, gender, Senator Clinton's husband) are all irrelevant and have no place in a legitimate political debate concerning individuals vying for the presidency. That being said, would anyone, would any candidate, besides Jon Edwards, be willing to discuss policy and current affairs rather than their opponents legacies in politics.

January 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Bob

To Shelly Lee

I say vote for HIllary, we get 2 for the price of one!!!!

It would make it easier on the judicial system this time around if they are both in court together this time. It will save the taxpayers money. Plus it takes two more criminals off the street.

January 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |