January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Tom Davie

Now THIS is fantastic news.

January 22, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  2. Hillary HATES CATS

Kerry needs to talk to the Cat Hater tonight because Obama Scored big time.

January 22, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  3. Jennifer, Oklahoma

Hillary will make a great VP! Don't let the meeting's significance fool anyone.

January 22, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  4. Gary of LA

HILLARY/EDWARDS for 2008! Can this be the realization of a DREAM TEAM!

January 22, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  5. Joe

Maybe it isn't uncommon for the candidates to run into each other backstage and chat for a while. But the timing in the race makes me wonder - especially with Edwards's positions in polls lately. I have no reason to think this other than my own suspicion, but could it be Hillary asked Edwards if he would drop out, throw his support behind her, and he would get the vice president nomination once again? Again, I obviously have no real reason to believe that is what happened.

January 22, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  6. curiosityhasme

Hopefully she and he could form Clinton/Edwards. First Lady/Son of the South sounds good to me. Make her a Queen, because Edwards is already Prince Charming.

January 22, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  7. Hope in Detroit and I am white

i KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DISCUSSING HOW SAD AND HYPOCRITICAL OF EDWARDS TO PRETEND HE IS NOT FOR THE STATUS QUO WHEN WE ALL KNOW HE IS. bOTTOM LINE HE WAS TALKING ABOUT BECOMING HER VP. ALSO HOW CAN YOU SPEAK ABOUT 2 AMERICAS WHEN YOU OWN YOUR OWN AMERICA JERK

January 22, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  8. ash

Republicans come and take next presidency and another 4 years. What else when members of a family are fighting?

January 22, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  9. Samya

Probably- Clinton saying to Edwards – when you questioned Obama did you see how he came after you, now you know how it feels to be me. And you thought you were friends, hehehe.

ok maybe thats not really what she said, but I AM.

January 22, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  10. S. B Akoni

Ex President Bill Clinton is getting too emotionally involved in the bid to get his wife to the White house. He is a stateman and a high ranking democrat. The way he is going now how will he enhance the democratic chances at the election in november if Hillary Clinton does not pick the party nomination.

January 22, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  11. Tyrone

Clinton and Obama both are reaching out to Edwards becasue they both realize that Edwards will be the king maker. If Edwards fails to win the party vote then who ever Edwards falls in line with will win the party. I'm sure that both Clinton and Obama are offering to put Edwards issues poverty and the middle class at the top of there adjenda or even offering him a VP position to gain his support.

But be carefull, because while Clinton and Obama are fighting each other Edwards has a real chance to slide past both of them and win the party and the white house. Just stay tuned America!

January 22, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  12. shaun

.Hillary Clinton is not Bill Clinton..So just because he did some good things for the country, don't think that she has to do the same...oh, my fault, if Hillary's president I guess Bill is president too...

how pathetic

Hillary's just proving that a woman can do nothing without a man doing it for her

worthless

January 22, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  13. Gracie

Here is a some light of the evidence that Clinton and Edwards had a deal. Let Edward take some delegates and at the end he will be king maker for Clinton. Edwards ride on Clinton , Edward ticket as VP.

Edwards is not very presidential this way. What happens to his belief in fighting for the poor? We know that Clintons are for the Rich corporate and lobbyist.
    Edwards are giving the voters his lip service and no real fight. Here is the really Edwards true color..... Edwards is another lip service candidate.

January 22, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  14. Cherry

Couple this news with the inordinate number of hits Edwards seemed to be taking at Obama all night, and I'd wonder what exactly the deal between the two entails...

January 22, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  15. DWIGHT

IF THERE IS AN HILLARY:EDWARDS TICKET, THIS WOULD POSIBALLY RUN BLACKS AND PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING NEW TO NOT VOTE BECAUSE OF THE WAY MS. CLINTON HAS CAMPAINED. THEY MIGHT EVEN VOTE FOR MIKE BLOOMBERG.

January 22, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  16. OBAMA MAMA Twin Cities, MN

Duhhhh! Clinton sees that her negative attacks on Obama are back firing and shes trying to play nicey-nicey with Edwards. She saw how Edwards wiped the floor with her and he could become the "king maker" at the end of the day. Edwards, don't fall for it, you would be making a deal with the devil!!! She knows an Obama/Edwards ticket would be unstopable. If you became her VP candidate the Reps would win the election (Dems wont vote for Billary much less Reps of Indis). And anyway you know you wouldnt truely be her VP, Bill would be!

Obama/Edwards 08

January 22, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  17. Michael - Gallatin, TN

Wow... That's all I can say...wow! I've been a Clinton supporter since way before Day 1. About three weeks ago I began to feel a little uneasy about my unquestioning allegiance. The recent Obama/Clinton sparring turned up the heat. Tonight I watched my first televised debate. I came away thinking, I like Edwards. I still want Hilary Clinton to be the next president, but I really do like Edwards.

January 22, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  18. Mrs. America

As a reporter, your job is to find out and tell us! Thank you.

January 22, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  19. Angelica Miami, FL

Previously, I had been leaning towards Senator Clinton, but not after tonight! She seemed way too divisive and spiteful in tonight's debate. Meanwhile, Obama and Edwards seemed more like what our country needs at this point in time.

Still deciding between Obama and Edwards. Both are very tempting to me after tonight's debate.

Latina in Florida

January 22, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  20. shanna

CLinton/Edwards sounds good,After the still no answers from obama .

January 22, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  21. Amy R

I am sure more dirty strategies were being discussed by Hillary. Or she was paying him off for his performance. who knows...but I am sure it wasn't pretty.

January 22, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  22. chevyk

Exactly the kind of scheming the country does not need, Honesty needs to be built into politics in the u.S. You don't see Obama holding secret meeting behind others backs.

January 22, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  23. Allen

Mr. Edwards wants to be Mrs. Clinton's VP.

January 22, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  24. WAKE UP DEMOCRATS

SO I GUESS BILL CLINTON CAN SLING MUD AND OBAMA DOES NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND HIS RECORD. COME ON PEOPLE. YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU ARE IN A RACE, YOU NEED TO DEFEND UNTRUTHS SO PEOPLE VOTE FOR OR AGAINST YOU BASED ON THE FACTS. YOU PEOPLE ARE SO "IN LOVE" WITH THE CLINTONS THAT YOU BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY. OBAMA HAS A RIGHT TO DEFEND BILL CLINTON'S NONSENSE. WHY? BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT DEMOCRATS ARE TERRIFIED OF THE "CLINTON MACHINE." GUESS WHAT, THEY CAN BE TAKEN DOWN.

THAT'S WHY I WOULD VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN BEFORE HILLARY BECAUSE I KNOW REPUBLICANS WON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE ON THE "CLINTON MACHINE."

January 22, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  25. Eugene Barrios

Edwards might concede early to strike a deal with Hillary for a possible Veep race.

That's what I see.

Edwards is evidently losing his ground in the primaries.

But the sure way for Dems to beat the GOP and regain the White House is an Obama-Clinton ticket.

Bill Clinton may apply his peace negotiation experience in the Mideast to patch things up.

Bill is one of the great US presidents, but I doubt if Hillary can still do the same. I'm sure with Obama.

January 22, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |