January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. tomw

she is an idiot for what she is doing she should have been plying nice and so should obama they could have had the other as vp

January 22, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  2. Chris, Calhoun, GA

They simply talk backstage, at a debate, and all the sudden they're plotting and exchanging plans to take over the world? I think the media is once again fishing for something that's not there. OMG Barack's 10th cousin twice removed is Dick Cheney- does that mean they are devising ways to destroy Earth? Please people don't read in to this kind of crap too much.

January 22, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. alain

Obama will be the best President ever.....

January 22, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. Spell Check

Hey Oliver – learn how to spell...

An Educated Democrat

January 22, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. KACEE

Hillary Clinton mis-represents her experience and is running on her husband's record (she brought up the good economy in the '90s when SHE WAS NOT PRESIDENT) in an effort to remind people of that which she was neither directly, nor indirectly responsible for–and folks are falling for it. This is no victory for feminism. She can't campaign without her husband attacking her opponent?

Imagine if any of the men did that. If Elizabeth Edwards or Michelle Obama went around attacking Hillary (and they'd win hands down on family values alone). Everyone would question John or Barack's true leadership capabilities. But no one question's Hillary's! The Clintons back in office would simply unite the Republicans against her, anger the Democrats who don't like her and don't want to see us living under a dynasty. She's too divisive and we've seen what leadership is like when half the country is against you (George W. Bush anyone?).

I can see into the future of another Clinton white house, and the inevitable Congressional investigations about the role that Bill is playing and is it even legal and yada, yada, yada. I am not convinced that she is capable of leading this nation all on her own and if you are, vote for her, but be honest with yourself and if you're not then you need to take another look at the other candidates.

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. Saint Paul

Maybe they were talking about how to get Obama out!
    They have been unknowingly taped talking about how to get Dennis Kuchinch out before. I thougt it was pretty disgusting when I watched that! They claim to be his friends. People dont believe the HYPE! Its entertaining but not what WE THE PEOPLE NEED. Give us a real DEBATE!

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. Brenda

Last nights debate was very interesting, due to the fact that most of it centered around "he said" "she said" very little centered around the real issues that face the USA and the world. They all keep talking about what they are going to do for all of us but when it gets down to the "botton line" they really don't give us a straight answer as to how they will do all they say they will do. All three of them need to focus on the "big picture" and not on who said what. We are are smart enough to figure out who said what to who...now we need to find out from the candidates how they are going to do all they say they are going to do so each voter can make up their own minds. At this point, I think Obama would make the best President. Hillary is too set in her ways to change for the better.

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  8. teopa

Obama just needs to say he's not going to tolerate any more of the baiting from the Clintons, keep his message of hope and transcendency in the forefront, and run the kind of campaign he always wanted no matter the polls. Speak on for Hope! This country needs inspiration, aspiration, and the admiration of our peers once again! ({crf: REBROCK})

to bad he got pulled in..... although he did shine at moments

still ABC ABC just say no to dyNASTY!

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Katzenelson

Hillary can't be VP, she would grab too much attention.

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  10. I'd love them to work together

I'd love Hillary and Edwards to work together.

I saw the debate yesterday and Obama was very petty and simply lying. Simply lying. How he could do that is beyond me. He is a bully and intimidating.

His "let me finish" to the moderator was rude, unprofessional and selfish.

January 22, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. MissyE

I can't imagine how much of your soul is for sale when you sling dirt at one another and then smile in each other's faces afterwards. I am an independent who tends to vote Democratic. I can't imagine what PURE entertainment this must be to those who'll vote Republican no matter who the candidates are.

Hillary: No matter what small reward you get from all this won't fix what's hurting you. If you're the nominee, I'd really hate to see you get slaughtered by the Republicans... and that's what's coming. Please don't make the rest of the country live through your private life again. It's not our affair and there are larger issues to deal with.

Bill – you're a heck of campaigner.

Obama: Ok Sir, speak a little faster and bounce back a little sharper on the issues. Yes, we heard all the barbs. We read W.E.B. DuBois and Dr. Lois Benjamin so ... expect the low blows and don't get tangled up in things that don't matter. We know you've got in in you. BRING IT. Keep daring to dream.

Edwards: You are pretty shrewd aren't you? Thanks for all the honesty, and not being "more of the same." Tell us how we'll survive after you slay all the rich dragons. We are definitely listening.

January 22, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  12. docrock,tx

Somehow I knew the Hillary-Haters would be out in force today.If She had stumbled half as much as Obama,the press would have eaten her alive.To say that this was a fair forum,is saying race doesn't matter.Where is the White caucus debate?How dare you call racist to anyone not backing Obama!If he can't honestly answer a question and think on his ffeet without rambling, broken,disjointed,meaningless ramblings in "fair" venue,then he stands no chance in the general election against the Republican hate machine.And the Hillary backers should back off of the hate-filled spiteful rhetoric also.With Biden out of the race,I fear for the Democrats chances.We had best pull together,or it's four more years of corporate hand outs!And this has shown me that racism is alive and well in America.Now we have sexism as well.Wonderful.

January 22, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. Joy Broadhurst

From all we know of "the Clinton's", a backroom meeting with Edwards could not have been that innocent.

Also related to the debate–I felt the question to Obama related to Bill Clinton being the first black president was designed to assist Hilary Clinton.

Secondly, I'm wondering why democratic debates do not include discussions on "illegal immigration"? Certainly, there's a great effect on our economy, social services, etc. It's right up there as a hot topic for the republican debates; thus, I'm wondering if it is avoided as CNN seems to lean toward democratic candidates and in particular "Clinton".

January 22, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. Joy Broadhurst

January 22, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Debb

Who gives a crap who met who...ALL the candidates Dems and Repubs are NOT talking about the issues...health care, immigration, the economy...It will be hard to support any of them, BUT I WILL NOT vote for somone because their BLACK. This counrty has gone to hell...where do we turn?? Ron Paul??? The middle class is suffering and we keep cutting from the bottom...not from the top where all the profits go....The american worker is punished while the CEO's and such are left to ruin this counrty wake up America.

January 22, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  16. Jill

In response to John – of course Hillary is not mentioning Michelle Obama – Michelle has done nothing wrong and acts like an adult at all times. The role of a candidate's spouse is to meet people, explain their spouse's positions and encourage participation. Can you imagine if Michelle Obama or Elizabeth Edwards acted like Bill Clinton – getting into shouting matches, lecturing, making snide innuendoes and wagging their fingers in reporters faces? Bill Clinton is behaving like a spoiled brat – or a "sports dad" yelling and screaming from the sidelines. It is deplorable – especially for a former President. What a disgrace. As others have said – his behavior alone will keep me from voting for Hillary Clinton if she gets the nomination. (I never would have said this a few months ago). I don't want to see that man (Bill) anywhere near the White House ever again.

And please, John Edwards, don't sell out to the dark side...........

January 22, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. Paula

HRC will be the Democratic Nominee.. While at the same time dividing the Democratic Party.. John Edwards is not making a deal with her.. That's not what he's about. Let me be clear.. I'm not a Hillary fan.. The Clintons have so much dirt and muck over them. They will totally change the trajectory in politics.. For the better. Because people of America will wake up from their self-impossed coma and listen to all the scandal and back-door deals coming out of the new/old Clinton Administration and will be sicken..

Here we go again..

Just look at how many Clinton die-hard supporters jumped ship.. Even in the first 4-yrs of Bill's administration. Dirty-dirty-dirty..

This election will be based on the vote: "Lesser of Two Evils".. Unless we get a third party candidate.. That's what I'm hoping for. I love John Edward, Joe Biden and Barack Obama.. It's too bad none of them will get their shot at the White House..

January 22, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Maxi

Perhaps they discussed the fact that Obama is running ads on CNN, eventhough all democratic candidates had signed an early state pledge prohibiting to campaign in states that did not adhere to the DNC calendar. This pledge included many things, including TV in those States. Clearly, CNN does reach people in Florida. Both, Edwards and Clinton adhered to the pledge and were perhaps upset, that Obama did not.

January 22, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  19. KACEE

Rhoda–

If the "Clintons" were in office, then Hillary has already served two terms and thus her candidacy now would be unconstitutional. This underscores my above point. They are running as "co-presidents" and this whole thing is ridiculous. Check urself, you and the rest of her supporters are once again being snowed by the Clintons. This woman cannot serve as president by herself. She needs her husband to hold her hand and walk her through it and I'm supposed to be excited as a woman. Give me a break, "This whole thing is the biggest fairytale I've ever heard." (hehe)

January 22, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. Cameron

CNN stop trying to ignite rumors

We all know at the end of the day Hillary will choose Barack Obama as the running mate.

CLINTON OBAMA 08 IS THE UNBEATABLE TICKET
    this will be history making
    1st woman and 1st african american to hold the highest office in the land.
    and Barack Obama can be the president in 2016 after all the experience he will gain from been the VP. he will be a great president in 2016

January 22, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. GH

THANKS CNN ....[ Coverage ]

Very Poor Moderation Wolfe! Though I realize an open debate was you purpose,
    it got out of control. Certainly not balanced coverage in my opinion. Two of the candidates were permitted to debate,spar,acuse,and even point fingers. Your
    co workers nor You were fair to John Edwards. As a native S.Carolinian he has
    a knowledge base and opinion too.

Why no questions addressed to him?
    Why the lack of time alloted him? He inquired openly early on.

January 22, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. Danny C

My candidate is already gone, so
    here is some perspective.

Hillary is unelectable is a general election.
    If she is the nominee Nader will run and I will be voting for him.

Obama seems like he'd make a fine president, but I
    honestly do not think he'll win a general election.
    I would certainly vote for him, but I don't think he'd win

The republicans really fear Edwards.
    When his numbers were better then attacked him every day.
    Once his numbers dipped they laid off, but Edwards is the one they
    fear the most and the most likely to win in November.

January 22, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. what they discussed

They probably discussed how Obama was being rude and selfish in the debate by tripling the amount of time allotted to him and how he was bullying the moderators.

They probably discussed that Obama's con-artist speeches and rhetoric have them both fed up and that they must unite before he takes advantage of the uneducated and uninformed people.

They probably discussed how Obama's voting record and what he has said are in such stark contract to each other they don't understand why he's attempting to lie about that.

They probably discussed how unprofessionaly he behaved during the debate.

I really don't like this guy Barack. He is so dishonest I find it discouraging he would be still in the race.

January 22, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. Brent

I am so sick and tired of this cat fight. It is very beneath a Presidential candidate. An attack against another candidate is nothing more than that. Do you really think that you are unifying anyone?

I was very active the the democratic party, but I plan on sitting this one out. Reading about this puts me in a very bad and depressed mood. I talked to some republicans friends of mine and they said they are elated over what is going on in the democratic party because it is helping them sooooo much. Way to go democrats! You are cutting our own throats.

January 22, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Bishop D.E. Robinson

God Bless Hillary and Edwards, I just pray that if one of them gets the party nomination that they will join forces and make a change.

January 22, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |