January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Liz of Chicago

Why is it when Hillary responds to a serious question the CNN camera crew pans to her backside or some other odd angle? Is this your subtle move to distract us from listening to her comments? The women of America are watching you CNN.

January 22, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. Janet

Please, it was obvious that the "Breck Girl" John Edwards was angling for a VP slot during the debate. He's figured out that in the long run, the liberal media will shill for and make sure the Clintin(s) are the nominies and that it's too soon for a Woman and an African American to be on the same ticket.

January 22, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. c martin

Is Anyone even voting for Edwards...has he won a state yet...how many delegates does he have....so to say Vice President ....I think the american people will sayis to say ...here we go all over again.

January 22, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

I guess she is paying him off for ganging up with her to attack Obama. The clinton's are the master of schemes and Edward is falling for it. After finishing last in Nevada with just 5% of vote, he is simply running for a VP now and that explains why is all suddenly playing nice with Hilary. Hopefully Edward is not stupid enough to believe she'll pick him as her VP.

January 22, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. JDS N.C.

YOu have it all wrong he wants to be Attorney General. FYI the Clintons want someone who will tow the line or else you get your knees capped. Edwards would be making a deal with the devil.

January 22, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Bob, Columbus, OH

my sources tell me they were discussing the weather and American Idol. Edwards believes Simon Cowell is being nicer, but Hillary thinks he's just as mean as ever.

January 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. tony fox

The democratic establishment talk a progressive game in the beginning. But when it actually appears that a black might winthe democratic nomination it's a different story. They try to change the game. Edwards for all his populism talk just another corporate shill just like Hillary. I'm sure there was some seedy deal in the works to stop Obama. So the democrat party should just dispense with the excuses and admit that they have become less progressive not more. And that attitude reflects in the voters that vote for Hillary Clinton.

January 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Bernardo

Edwards for Billary's Veep? Well that is the only way I would consider rooting for Billary, I like Edwards but he doesn't appear to have the support. And Edwards does speak some of the help the poor language that Billary pays lip service to. This could be a winning ticket for Billary.

January 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. debbie

Hillary Obama Ticket would get my republican vote. THAT ticket = needed change and we get experienced Bill as icing on the cake.

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. teopa

put the DOWN the crown billary!

do something noble for once...... make a change in your own history

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  11. EK

If Edwards joins Hillary, he goes against his message and campaign just for political gain. There is fundamentally something wrong with that.

The Hillary/Edward ticket is NOT happening. They do not like each other. They really don't like each other. No way is this happening. I can see Obama/Edwards ticket more likely than Hillary/Edwards. This is another ploy to increase public interest and curiosity.

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. LANCE CORDIAL

MY GUESS: "JOHN, LET'S EXPOSE OBAMA FOR THE UNQUALIFED FRAUD HE TRULY IS. WE'LL TAG TEAM HIM AND THEN I WILL OFFER YOU A CABINET LEVEL POSITION, OR EVEN VP, ONCE I WIN THE NOMINATION."

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Joe

The media wants to make something from nothing.

January 22, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Paul_Illinois

CCN pundits were not very happy with Obama performance last night so now they are trying to create a conspiracy theory here. That's ludicrous!
    What about instead of creating this type of theories they start focusing in the big issues, scrutinizing all the candidates and left the personality and celebrity contest coverages behind???

January 22, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Justin, Houston, TX

CNN has gotten absolutely disgusting in its portayal of Obama as the victim in everything. Suddenly now Edwards and Clinton are in some secret plot, but when Edwards and Obama tag teamed Hillary, nary an eyebrow was raised.

To think that any of these candidates have any love for the other is stupid. Edwards tried to knock out Hillary by teaming with Barack. That didn't work, now he's on to trying to knock out Barack, plain and simple.

I wasn't very proud of any of the candidates last night, but it had to happen because the media has given Barack a free pass on everything. When his records and positions were called into question, in front of a national audience thank goodness, he fell apart completely. It didn't even seem he knew where he stood. And when all else fails, he reverted back to "I opposed this war from the beginning and I'm gonna bring change." Please, as been said before, where's the beef.

Ever notice how he does the best job of saying somebody's distroting his record or what he said, but in that explanation he never explains himself. I'm tired of him saying everyone's lying but never saying what the lie supposedly is.

January 22, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. masgap

I am a registered Democrat and I am honored to vote for Hillary. Obama is just a

good orator but flip flops on his voting record and issues. He started this low dirty

clash. Hillary has every right to defend herself and his record. Obama will win SC

but get trounced on Super Tues. It's obivious she is the better candidate. period !

January 22, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. teopa

if you keep doing the same-ole, same-ole you keep getting the same-ole same-ole

say no to dynasty!

ABC ABC anyone but CLINg-0Ns

January 22, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Wayne

Clinton / Edwards – A winning ticket!

January 22, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. J, New York, NY

Hillary will say and do anything to get elected.

January 22, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. scope213

OMG THEY'RE HAVING AN AFFAIR!

No srsly though, if I see a Clinton/Edwards ticket I'm voting for Mccain. I'm a Republican considering voting for Obama in November. I would like to see a non-white as president in my lifetime...and it's great that Obama past his skin color outshines Clinton and Edwards in every level. Just listen to the debates...Clinton uses her husband to attack Obama and pretends to be an angel and Edwards uses this "Hey, vote for me I will walk old ladies across the street" theme. Obama keeps it straight to the point, and only attacks when he has to defend himself. Clinton needs to stand on her own instead of riding on her husbands tail coat, lol.

January 22, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  21. Eric Pearce

I watched the CNN SC debates last night. I must say that if you were looking for an intellectual discussion on solutions for the problems facing Americans today you would not find them from either Clinton or Obama.

I was disturbed by the lack of self control from both of these candidates. Do we realy want either of these two loose cannons in the White House?

Thank God for John Edwards. He was the voice of reason in the midst of the school yard taunts. In days like these... We need John Edwards.

January 22, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  22. Ryan Pritchett

Who cares!! and why all of this speculation on what was discussed? For all we know they exchanged recipes, and that's their business. It's not like all press was quickly rushed out of the green room in order for them to have a private pow wow. CNN, you are getting desperate for strories within this race and are truely missing the bigger picture.
    – Yes, it's a tight race between Dem's right now and it has nothing to do with RACE or SEX
    – Focusing on the back and forth jabs between Obama and Clinton is good TV, but does nothing for helping america see where each stands on how they are going to fix this wonderful country of ours that has been disgraced by the current regime.
    – It's even crazier in the GOP race, where Ron Paul has captured 6 pledged delegates to Rudy's whopping 1 pledge.

As a 30 year old male Independent from Washington State, I expect more from you CNN. I expect real news, FACTS and TRUTH, not the conjecture and spin that you guys use to make sexy television. I almost feel like Bill O'Reilly is helping you guys write this nonsense.

Please use some common sense and share the news and facts of this election and quit pandering to this countries obsession of train wreck reporting and high school he-said she-said nonsense. It's tired

January 22, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  23. incunabulum

Perhaps she went to congratulate Edwards. He was clearly the winner of last night's debate. He rose above the fray and was finally on message. If he had campaigned like that the entire time, his poll numbers would be much higher.

I think the debate hurt Obama. He still seems compassionate and caring, but he floundered quite a bit and looked out of his element when the heat was turned up. We saw both good and bad sides of Hillary last night, but nothing that surprised anyone. We know that she can be competent, inspiring and, when need be, defensive and dirty. I see that some commenters seem to think Obama performed well, but I think viewers saw a vulnerability last night that he normally tries to hide.

January 22, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. Toni

Billary is too divisive to be a president. Her equivalent, but on the Republicans side, is Bush. Nobody needs that. Edwards is a nice guy but he is trying to make points of the competition between Obama and Hillary. If I got his message right, up to this debate, he would never gang up with Hillary but I was a little surprised he joined her in attaching Obama last night.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  25. Tisha Todd, Hampton, Virginia

Why is everyone getting so upset about the democrats debate? The republicans had it out in their last debate, I mean they dissed the hell out of Romney, so what about that. I mean they went personal after him.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |