January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. suzy

HILLARY!!!!!!!
    I'm so tired of Obama not answering the questions!
    He stumbles on his words – unless of course he's giving one his flowery speeches.
    But, there's more to a president than being a good speaker.
    He was the one who started the "attacks" last night.
    Clinton had the first question, but did not include any specific attacks against either candidate. It was Obama who started it.
    And in my opinion it backfired on him.
    Hillary & Edwards both held their own.
    Obama said nothing last night – just dodged bullets.
    I was so sick of hearing him say nothing. He rides the fence.
    That's not what I want in my next president.
    GO HILLARY!!!!!
    and take Edwards with you – great combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. AJ, IL

Edwards don't do it. Siding with the "status quo" only hurts your chances to become president. Or does Edwards want to become President? Come it be that he is looking for another VP nod? If Hillary promised him a VP nod, she will not deliver. Hillary will not pick a one-term senator who has been her most vocal attacker in the debates up until now to be her running mate, especially seeing how Kerry/Edwards lost in 2004.

January 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Anonymous

I was a Clinton supporter up until now. Bill Clinton's ego has gotten in the way of his wife's campaign and he has hurt her by thinking that his rock star appearance will win her votes. His negativity has turned off black supporters as well as whites. I think Hillary needs to send him packing and focus on the specifics as she was doing until he came in and messed things up. Additionally, Hillary is always attacked for her husband's mistakes, past and present. As for Barack, he started the fight yesterday and got hit back by both Edwards and Hillary. He didn't answer the question that was asked. He needs to be held accountable for his votes and he needs to be more specific. He really is inexperienced. We have a Massachusetts governor who won this past election because he was black and articulate – basically like Obama, all fluff and no substance. I give Edwards my vote and people should vote the person and not worry about the general election. Also, the media has no right to push candidates to try to drop out of races so early on as they were trying to do with Mitt and John Edwards. The people should vote their conscience and not be persuaded by polls or the hype. Speaking of the media, don't have a debate when all the candidates are not given equal opportunity and time to speak. Take a note too, Obama – stop controlling the microphone. I've watched every debate and you have an ego too. Too bad, we had some great candidates who already dropped out.

January 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Chelsea R.

Ignore both Clintons and the real race rises effortlessly for the good of the people.

January 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. Patrick, New York,Ny

Bill CLINTON TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT OBAMA AND NOW HE IS CRYING BECAUSE HE IS LOSING!!

January 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Mike

Go Edwards

January 22, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. GB

Hillary won't choose Obama for VP because she doesn't want to be upstaged her entire presdency. Obama or Clinton would be smart to choose John Edwards if he doesn't get the nomination.

January 22, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. Beth

It was easy for John Edwards to take the "high road" last night – he has nothing to lose. I think it's pathetic the way he positioned himself as above the back and forth that went on between Clinton and Obama. If his positions had been misrepresented the way that Obama's have the past few weeks he would have been doing the same thing. Good for Obama for standing his ground and correcting the record. There is no doubt in my mind that Obama is the candidate that has the greatest chance of creating a bridge across party lines to get something done differently in Washington. In my view, Edwards is playing both sides of the fence and trying to gleen whatever power he can from his position as the underdog and potential "kingmaker".

We all know that Obama, Clinton and Edwards are very similarly minded when it comes to actual policy. Obama is the visionary who inspires us (or at least me) to want to do more in this world to make it a better place.

January 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Randolph Monroe, Chicago

She was asking Edwards how does he stay prettier than her.

January 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Dan

The only clear choice for the Democratic nomination is Obama. The others relfect the nepotism of American politics that will simply not go away. Obama will be the only one that the Republicans will not know how to fight come November. So yes... if you are one to perpetuate dynasties, imperialism, American hegemony over third world nations, then by all means, vote for Clinton, Edwards, or Mccain. However, if you want to seriously end the bloodshed, tyranny, and nepotism that plagues our American politics, then vote for Obama – who to me, is the clear choice!

January 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Bill Persons

Am I going to go back to my Grandparents days and vote for a Democrat in
    the Presidental race?
    I really haven't made up my mind. I have voted in every election since turning 21,
    50 years ago. I have always voted Republican.
    On the Republican side I think McCain is a little too old, so it has to be Mitt Romney.
    My choice will be between Romney, Clinton and Obama.
    Senator Clinton is probably my choice because she has former President
    Bill Clinton at her back. I think that Bill Clinton was an excellent President.
    If the final choice is between these three, I will probably not make a choice until
    I enter the voting booth on election day.

I don't think any of the candidates are truly qualified to be President.

January 22, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  12. Cathy

Wake up people... Bill Clinton is up to his old tricks. Remember, he was impeached for lying. And he is doing it again.

January 22, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. John, Pittsburgh

All Edwards ever does is talk about the homeless and poor. He is just so soft it's uncomfortable. If he was to win I think we could consider him the first woman president.

January 22, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. Katherine

You folks make it sound like something sinister is going on. It was a chance meeting. All the greenrooms are right there. Don't make this into some big conspiracy.

January 22, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. Alex K

"The truth is there are two hundred white women sexually assaulted in America by black and Latino males for every one minority woman assaulted by whites." –Hillary Clinton, 1994

January 22, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Char

Dear John Edwards,

Please do not even consider dropping out of the race or even worse, endorsing Hillary Clinton. I voted for you in the 04 primaries and was saddened that it was a Kerry/Edwards ticket and not an Edwards/Kerry ticket however I still backed Kerry/Edwards.

You are the most qualified to take this country in a new direction, to bring about change, and to fight for every American, more importantly those who need help the most. You have stood up to big corporations and not backed down; you are the one who can take on the challenges our country faces. The problem is that the media and the debates put all their focus on Obama and Clinton because of the “drama” and forget about you. I think folks really need to think about who can win in November. I do not think its Hillary and I do not think its Obama. It’s not because of gender or race. I truly believe that you are the one who can win, and the one who can unite both parties and the independent voters. Though I am a woman from the northeast Hillary is not who I would support in the Super Tuesday primaries.

Voters should not let the “drama” and the media determine who they should vote for. It’s great to see a woman and an African American; this progress in a country that should be more progressive than it “claims” to be. It’s a sad case to see the stage of the Republican debates…white as Ivory soap. Though I admire Hillary and Barack, I just do not believe they are the right choice for the Democrat party. We CANNOT afford to have another Republican in office.

All registered voters need to get out and vote in the primaries and vote for the person they truly believe can beat any Republican or even Independent candidate (if Bloomberg decides to run) in November. I believe “again” it is you.

Warm Regards,
    Char

January 22, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. Scarlett

Although I have been a Clinton supporter from day one, I originally felt that I could vote for Obama if he was the nominee. I now feel that he is more interested in re-starting the civil war than addressing the pressing issues of today. He has yet to answer any issue question put to him in the debates and I have yet to see him present any plan for solutions to the problems that Bush has created. He seems much more interested in attacking the Clintons, who have proven records on helping the black cause, than coming up with a viable plan to improve the lot of ALL Americans. The devisivness that he brings to the table will only give the Republicans the White House again in November. We need a President who can address all the serious issues of the economy, the war, equlity for all, regaining respect in the world, and be ready, willing and able to accomplish these goals instead of just voting "present". Can you imagine how we would fare in the world arena if all we do is say I am present. Our president needs to be a World Leader!

January 22, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. honest voter

ewards & THE clintons are free to meet and talk >they meaning all THREE of them
    because it took Three of them to argue with Obama's poticial views ...........
    they dont want the public to hear about their wrongs ...you know what will
    you should just ZIP IT..................and i cant believe edwards he is an a-wipe ganging up on Obama when Obama supports just
    goes to show you how underhanded edwards & clintons are>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OBAMA 2008

January 22, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Mrs. Harris

thought the debate got very heated, But did anyone see when Hillary
    asked Obama why he voted present for a bill that originally can from him presented it? I now see why Obama states that she stretches the facts, also the voting record as she put is no different from hers. Why are all of them arguing since they all seem to have the same voting record. I see why the republicans don't have anything to say about the Democrats is because it seem that they can shoot themselves in the foot. I'm really disturbed about this Clinton and Edwards meeting, I see Edwards riding on any train right now that can get him closer to the White house. Edwards always talk about Obama and Hillary taking from Lobbyists but when asked about his, how he took Millions from people he said they don't expect anything in return but his help on bring us together.
    I do appreciate Obama stating that no Politician hands are entirely clean so don't act like it is.

January 22, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. mandragola

Deja vu all over again? A JFK/LBJ-like epiphany re. prez/vp?

January 22, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Mike, Chicago

Jason- SC Voter,

You do realize that every senate has their own way of doing things? In Illinois If you are at the vote the only way not to condemn a bill is by voting present of for it. If the bill has something you disagree with and needs modification you vote present, then when the bill doesn't pass it is not shot down and can be re-voted on after the alterations have been made... Please do some research before you post your ignorance...

January 22, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. Brasileiro

Hillary= Palpatine

Edwards= Anakin (son of a mill worker)

January 22, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. maxi

what a cry baby obama is. what will he do when the reps through everything at him? seems he can't take the heat. sniffle sniffle... she destorted my record. what a joke. you go john and hilary.

January 22, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  24. Dan

If Hillary gets the nomination, I am officially going to vote for a Republican. Can't people recognize this? I will not be the only one. This will happen over and over again, until the Republicans get a landslide win in November. The only candidate they will not be able to fight is Obama! Vote for Obama, and the war will end. Otherwise, we are looking at another 8 years of warfare and recession!

January 22, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  25. Obama 08

Why would anyone want to be a VP in a Clinton White House...even Biden acknowledged that there would be little to do... Bill will play a key "Cheney" like role...his involvement in this campaign demonstrates this..

January 22, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |