January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Michele

As a Democrate I was hoping for a Obama/Edwards Ticket. If Clinton and Edwards team up against Obama, and she wins the Democratic ticket. I will vote republican. I don't trust Hillary.

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Brian

I wonder what Washington D.C. pansuit shop Clinton gets her wonderful wardrobe from? They have such bright colors!

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  3. thinkunbiased

At the end of the primaries...america would see how much dirt has been dug by clinton, obama & edwards on each other...At least 50% democrats will be demoralized by the time one nominee is crowned. look at the republicans, at least they are not tearing each other. hey dems, u r making life easier for the GOP to continue for another 4yrs.

January 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. Von

Between Hillary and Obama , Hillary clearly won the debate. Obama was skirting around the issues once again,seems to be his nature. Obama will not and does not answer the questions ,no straight talk from him.
    Obama rambles on about how Hillary and Edwards are falsely stating his record and is always trying to explain why he is right and they are wrong,will the press ever hold Obama's feet to the fire and ask him to PLEASE answer the questions or maybe if the press wants to continue the free pass they need to start asking Obama YES or NO questions. Maybe Obama can handle that.
    We can all go on gov.com and check Obama and Clinton's record for ourselves. Out of the three in the debate Edwards came out on top this time. I am undecided at this time,although I have in the past voted Democrat but the Republicans are looking better every day. ALL BUT Rudy. No Rudy

January 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. Parkville

Jgian January 22, 2008 7:57 am ET

It's time to take a strong look at John Edwards' positions and how he is the true advocate for working families. Obama and Clinton are just more of the same.

Jgian,

where have you been ? You put Barack Obama and Billary in one category ...?

Nothing against John Edwards although is giving up on his stand by having secret meetings with Billary – but the Royal Family is nothing like Obama !

Frank

January 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  6. Lori

I'm a canadian who was watching the debate last night with great interest. As I saw it, Obama clearly attacked Ms. Clinton first. Is it not fair for her to defend herself? Also, Obama needs to clarify his positions, he cannot fly under the radar because of the political hype he's receiving. As a citizen of Canada who has universal healthcare i would urge all americans to vote for a candidate that represents that ideal. Universal healthcare needs to be a requirement not a choice! Its barbaric that a great country like the US has people who cannot get the medical treatment they need!

January 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  7. Richard

The democrats should be worried if Clinton wins the nomination. I will only vote for Obama or Edwards if they get the nomination. If Hillary wins it, the dems lose and I will not vote for her.

January 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Angela

I agree totally with Oliver 22Jan08. I am a moderate Democrat who would not vote for Hillary only because she is too polarizing. I feel that if she wins the nomination the independents or moderate dems may not support her in an election. I feel that there are a lot on Democrats in the party who do not want another four more years of the Clintons. It's time to move on.

January 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. IL Chic

OBAMA for President!!!!!!!!

Pick the HONEST candidate and the ONLY candidate for REAL change!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  10. John, Pittsburgh

I'm with you there J.C. I think we will se the begining of a strong 3rd party.

January 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. AlaskaLady

Hillary has what this country needs to make the necessary changes to get this country back on track. Obama is a nice man & speaks very well, with a nice ability to inspire people – a very nice asset for anyone to have; however, basing a decision on emotion, will bit you in the butt every time. Everybody talks about dishonesty – this is politics folks, even the most truest & purest stances, are not what they appear to be... I back the candidate who I think will make a difference & restructure our country for the better of all, and who has years of experience doing this. I want someone who will do what it takes to fight to the bitter end for the USA; and if it gets a little brutal in the process – it takes what it takes. Would not someone fight to the death for a family member? That is what I want to see in my president – Hillary is a fighter for the people, and I back her 100%, as do most I talk with – she will be our next President of the USA!!!! GO HILLARY - YOU ARE THE ONE WE NEED TO GO TO BAT FOR US & WHO WILL GET THINGS DONE.

January 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  12. GP Geneseo Il

If it so "secret meeting" how did you all get a picture of it...."Secret meetings" usually mean behind closed doors....My only thoughts were, so they are talking to each other...so what???? Why is everyone making so a big deal over it????? Can't 2 people talk without it being made into something that it might not be...WHO is ASSUMING that they are "plotting" something???? I think a big deal is being made out of NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  13. Tatiana

P.P.S. you're taking being uncomfortable and vulnerable about personal attacks and twisting it into a lack of strength in our country's leader. obama has no experience so wait until he's just like billary and then we vote for him? WHAT?

CNN you better post this, I got my eyes on you CNN

And while I'm on this, Wolf Blitzer.

hahahaha

January 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. Wallace Young, Atlanta Georgia

Slppery Sam you're awesome. I love your recollection of the conversation .

Go HILLARY GO!!!!

January 22, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Olutoks Sanusi (Toyin)

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Afterall they have tried putting Hilary down on all sides,,trying to discredit her. This shows you this woman is human and all the political candidates should learn to extend some handshakes off the political arena.
    Olutoks London

January 22, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Len

The Clintons' are not going after John Edwards because they do not see him as a threat.I can guarantee that if he was doing as well as Obama the attacks would be heavy and hard!

January 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Tyler

IL Chic January 22, 2008 12:44 pm ET

OBAMA for President!!!!!!!!

Pick the HONEST candidate and the ONLY candidate for REAL change!!!!!!!
    _______________________________________________________________

He only seems honest because he doesnt answer questions to his record. He still hasnt explained why he voted "present" 130 times in the Illinois senate. As president you have to answer the tough questions.

January 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. john andrews

I really like Hillary and she has a terrific agenda and may provide great leadership. However, I doubt she will get anything done because some Democrats and almost all Republicans hate here. She may not be able to pass a single piece of legislature and we may have the same kind of governance as we had under Bush.

Bush may have had some good ideas but nothing materialised because he never had the confidence of fellow democrats following the 2000 election.

We hence should think about the personality and fit of the presidential candidate.

January 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  19. Will, Manchester, NH

As sly as Edwards!

January 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. Marcy

I don't think Hilary will pick Edwards as her running mate – it didn't help Kerry and Kerry did not endorse him. I think Wesley Clark or Bill Richardson – maybe even Joe Biden. I am sure that Edwards will endorse Hilary if he drops out – his views are way more in line with her than Obama.

January 22, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. Patricia Matthews

I was appalled at the attacks back and forth. US Citizens want to hear them discuss the issues not he said, she said comments. It was a waste of time. This is a serious election with many issues on the table. Let's get down to the facts and cut out the attacks. In the end, it will hurt the Democratic party.

January 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Will, Manchester, NH

Hillary just paid him 10 bucks for showing up for the debate. Money well earned John.

January 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Vincent, Tamaqua, Pa

lol. OBAMA IS NOT HONEST!

January 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. Gulf War 1 Veteran

again us Veterans get the shaft. No mention about Veteran's issues. Nothing is said about our less than mediocre healthcare to start with. Doesn't seem like the rest of America cares either. Only when they want us to fight our wars. America with this Iraq War is comprised of Veterans more so than ever. Clinton throws us a bone in the Foreign Affairs Magazine Nov/Dec issue. But its a small bone. Also, our active duty members (most of them )fall below the poverty rate.

January 22, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  25. Steve, NYC, NY

The democrats deserve to lose the White House again. You are all sheep. Just because you dislike Hillary, and beacuse Obama preaches like a holy man and can talk like an inspirational coach does NOT make him presidential material.

You all do not know anything about him. Just riding on the band wagon. Did you watch the debate? He was running for cover and trying to change the subject every time Hillary flug some dirt on him. He was running because as bad as it is to sling, it was truthful.

January 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |