January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Millie Bea

Oooooo- a secret meeting that everyone knows about- Ooooo-what could it mean?

Hillary said last night that she has been dealing with international relations for the last 16 years- did she mean when she- I mean Bill, was President? Maybe John just wanted her to clarify that statement. You know the Clintons- make it up as you go along- just don't ask them the definition of the word "is"- they are kinda touchy about that.....

January 22, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. michael Lederman

As a life-long Democrat...I will never vote for Clinton. The Clinton style of politics is an
    example of everything that is wrong with this country. She has more in common with the Bush mentality of control then any candidate and, will never win in the general election. Wake up America....Obama is our only hope for change here and abroad.

January 22, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Brando

Go Barack! Go John! The Dem's WINNING TICKET: OMABA /EDWARDS '08. Remember, in order to get the WH (BACK) you NEED to get 270. Any other ticket, you will lose the WH (for 8 YEARS, not 4, don't kid yourself), the senate (55-45, AGAIN!) and of course the Supreme Court (a Conservative court, nonetheless 7-2 yup, KIDDOS, it's gonna be 7-2! ) MARK MY WORDS. But the saddest part is gonna be that: YOU,as a voter, YOU could've CHANGE the (WASHINGTON'S) RULES once and for all but you decided that you were better than that. What a shame, what a shame...INDEED.

January 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Brian Brown

I was seriously undecided before yesterdays debate, and as much as people are sour about the show down, I needed to see that. I needed to see some heart, and to be quite honest I saw it in HIllary.

I am a black man, extremely proud of Obama. Although it has been scarcely discussed he has opened the way and the realisation that black people can apply and be competitive for the top job. He is a great speaker and motivator, charismatic and very intelligent. Do I think he has what it takes, NO. At least not right now. I certainly believe he will be president one day, but not this time.

He is a great speaker and on numerous occassions after hearing speak I felt rejuvenated and fired up,...but to do what? I do know, because he doesnt say. Yes its great to want change, and make healthcare better, help our children through schools but tell me how, what are your plans, where are you going to get the money from?

If he cannot handle himself or recieve the taunt of Bill or anyone else. He definitely will not survive attacks against the republicans. In my view he is just not ready, and to be quite honest, I don't believe HE even knows what he stands for right now, and as usual is playing it safe.

Being President is a tough job, that requires difficult decisions, some of the decisions will be unpopular among the masses, but have to be made. I cannot see Obama doing that. Hillary would.

Also I lost an ounce of respect for Obama when he denied the praise he offered the Republicans and Reagan. If he stood his ground and stood by that statement as opposed to 'changing what he meant' by saying that. He would have had my vote. Instead, he further turns it around on Bill and Hill as something they construed. We have all seen that interview, so we know you said it and what you
    meant.

January 22, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Hawk,Texas

Obama showed that he does not have what it takes to be president. he even threw the first mud in the debate. and when he was called on it he started whining. he never answered the question why he voted present on over 100 bills. he has no record. he wants to straddle the fence. if he some how gets the nomanation the republicans will eat him alive. he has no record and he has no guts. he even praised regan who was the one that broke the unions. among other things. we need some one that can stand up for all americans. Hillary or Edwards.

January 22, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. John, Pittsburgh

How about an Obama / Chuck Hagel ticket. What do you guys think of that?

January 22, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. scott

she ask weather or not his wife had a spare tampon, get a life, report on the facts,
    not the rumor mill.
    homeless veteran.

January 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. MarkH

"i KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DISCUSSING HOW SAD AND HYPOCRITICAL OF EDWARDS TO PRETEND HE IS NOT FOR THE STATUS QUO WHEN WE ALL KNOW HE IS."

Edwards is such a phony he worked 20 years as a trial lawyer helping people who had been hurt by corporations. He's such a phony he created a poverty center. He's such a phony got the Patients Bill of Rights legislation passed out of the Senate. He's such a phony he has taken two tries to win the presidency (a lot of work) to talk about poverty (which wins few votes).

And to top it all, he's such a phony you can see that having grown up in the rural poverty-stricken South that he runs completely away from his background and ...

Well, you see, he's only taken different positions for one phase of his career - when he was a senator from NC he actually behaved like a senator from NC. Boo hoo!

John Edwards has more authenticity in his little finger than the other two put together.

Hillary claims to be Progressive. Who doesn't laugh when she says she's worked her whole career fighting poverty. I guess she did it as a corporate lawyer for the Rose law firm or sitting on the board of directors of WalMart.

Barack is Mr. Hot Air. He says he's going to Unite America when we know Republicans won't do that unless they're the ones doing the raping. He reaches out to Reagan Democrats, but doesn't say what he'll offer them. Meanwhile, he says he's Liberal or Progressive or whatever flavor is popular this month. You can't pin him down. He's like Jello.

Call Edwards a phony or a hypocrite if you want, but he's the one who has put it on the line to walk the walk.

January 22, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Richard

I'm hoping CNN or any other media outlet starts picking up some of the feedback, moderate dems/independents like myself are saying on these boards. I will not vote for Hilary, and this is a common theme we are hearing. She is too polarizing and nothing will change. We need Obama to win the nomination, and I would venture a guess that Edwards would be fine as well, but he should drop out and support Obama as that could be the deciding factor...

January 22, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Fran

Clinton-Edwards would be a fabulous ticket.

January 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. Woody, Atlanta

Former President Bill Clinton is a very likable guy. I voted for him. But what’s perplexing me is that he’s looked at as a President who’s done a lot for the African American community. I'm an African American male who can't specifically come up 3 things he's done for our community. Will someone please tell me “specifically” what he did for the African American community as President? Times were great during his tenure. The budget was balanced – but is this due, in large part, due to George Sr’s tax cut? What did he do?

January 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Deta reid

I would love to see a
    CLINTON – EDWARDS ticket and then on to white house.

and it doesn't matter WHO'S ON TOP !!

love
    deta

January 22, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. Bill Myrtle Beach

From reading all these comments it is clear to me the American people really aren't that bright which answers the question of why we keep electing morons. Both parties are so entrenched in partisan politics that their mouths are no longer connected to their brains instead they are now connected to a different body part. Lou Dobbs for President!!

January 22, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Laura

Clinton/Edwards as President/Vice President?? Now that's a winning ticket!!

January 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. Austin,TX

QUIT saying another 4 years of the Clintons! There is only one Clinton running for president. President Clinton is a spouse who is merely campaigning for his wife as other spouses do. He just knows how to compaign becaue he is experienced and as much as some of you haters do not want to admit it –he is likable and exceptionally clever and talented!

January 22, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

As a lifelong Democrat, if Hillary wins the nomination, I'm voting for everything but President in 2008. The age of divisiveness needs to end and I will not support a continuation of it.

For all of you Clinton supporters, if she wins the nomination, you can go ahead and enjoy it, because it would last until next November when, once again, a non-Democrat will win the White House.

I have never been more disappointed in my party in my whole life. The Presidency was basically handed to us, yet Hillary thought it would be "fun" to start the attacks on fellow Democrats.

January 22, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Dan, NJ

Obama is letting HRC dictate the subject too much. In my opinion he should emphasize three things:

1. After S.C., he must turn the race debate into a debate about poverty. Hillary is killing him among poor whites, which is ironic with her ties to big business and special interest.

2. The Clintons take tens of millions of dollars from Saudi Arabia and UAE. (See today's Dick Morris column.) The idea of having a President in the pocket of foreign states, particularly in the Middle East, is a frightening fact that people need to know about and the Clintons need to explain.

3. Education. The economy is the issue of the day and will continue to be but education is the key to long term economic success.

January 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. An American

It is obvious that Clinton and Edwards have joined forces with Edwards running as a vice president. His comments in previous debates were centered around Hilary but now they are centered around Obama.

January 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Bryce

The only people in here bashing Clinton are the fanatical Obama supporters that seem to not care about issues (seeing as how the man has never stated what he's going to do to change anything) and republicans.
    This was not a "Secret" meeting. They were probably swaping punchlines about how poorly Obama did in the debate and thats it.

I now think CNN is funny and nothing more. Great comedy site guys! Ha Ha

January 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. MAT

It's about time Obama came out swinging. When you're fighting a two-headed monster (Hillary and Bill) you can't afford to hold back a punch. I loved it when he made reference to whom he was running against, Bill or Hillary. Keep up the fight Obama because one thing is certain, the Clinton's will.

January 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. Phil Ogiba

I am disappointed with all forms of the media who are obviously biased with regard to the winner of last nights debate. You keep on making this a race between Hillary and Barack. Were you watching the same debate? I watched intently as Senator Edwards clearly showed the necessary compassion, calm intelligent responses, fortitude, and vigor that we need from the President of the United States. He clearly was the winner. Being part of the middle class, I felt that his message was clear and precise. While Hillary and Barach were quibling about he said, she said, Edwards stayed right on track telling the public what he would do as President. He's a classy person. This does not mean that I have made up my mind yet, I will wait to hear more, but I'm sick and tired of the media blowing Edwards off, as if he is a non- factor in this race. I believe he deserves more respect than that. I hope that the public can go beyond voting for a person solely because the person is black and so am I, or because she could be the first female President, and vote for the best person suited to be leader of the Free World.

January 22, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. Jose

Making news out of nothing at all!

How pathetic that they call this news and sell it?

More pathetic is how anyone buys this stuff called news!

January 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  23. Mueze

John Edwards is irrelevant as the presidental choice, period. I don't know what everyone is talking about him potentially getting passed the big two, but I am telling you he has no chance to become president. The point is there is a reason he looked great in the debates, and when he made the comments about bickering, does anyone else remember who did that in an earlier debate it was Bill Richardson, what I am trying to say is that of course you can be seen as calm and civil when you are not being attacked. Since Obama and Clinton don't even care to argue with him, and make him look like the civil one it tells me that in their mind he is irrelevant, the reason also behind not attacking him is to see if he puts his eventual drop out weight behind either of the two. At this moment individual wise the two greatest endorsements are John Edwards, and Al Gore. Edwards will not win, and it is a joke for anyone to think he will make a comeback. Last night, I saw John Edwards gang up on Barack Obama with Hillary, and if they did converse secretly in the back it was probably of no relevance with the race. The VP position would not be discussed in something so miniscual and simple as the green room. Nevertheless what bothers me is that Edwards seems to be getting close to Clinton, much like he did to Barack after Iowa. He seems to be scouting the race and getting close to the leader to try to wrap up the VP nod, and last night leads me to believe he is out for himself by aligning himself to whoever is in the lead. That is sad, this guy is a snake and don't be fooled by the charm. As for Billary, shes a joke, she can cry and turn to Bill to make it all better, is this the leader you want? When our enemies get hostile with us will she turn to tears and then Bill to make it all better? I already see McCain and Romney salvating over the potential of facing Hillary. As a democrat I would much rather vote for a republican like McCain then her, if it is her against Romney, I'll vote Bloomberg.

January 22, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. Tim

It's probably making a mountain out of a mole hill guessing as to what was really discussed if anything. All three did a great job last night. And I'm glad Hillary fired back to Mr. Obama, Barack was forthright and spoke very well and Edwards was great. All in all, I thought it was a great debate.

I think Edwards could be a possitive asset as vice president to whoever becomes the Democratic nominee, Obama or Clinton. He was held by a short leash with Kerry and it was reported that Edwards asked Kerry to be more aggressive. Kerry miscalculated and he lost an election he could have won. Instead we ended up with another 4 years of limping around with one of the worst lack luster presidents ever.

Kerry's endorsement of Obama means nothing to me. And to the Obama supporters that think endorsements equal experience, they don't. They are two entirely different things.

And to the Hillary haters out there who would never vote for her, to each his own. But don't complain when the rich get richer and your insurance increases by 80% in the next 8 years. After all, you voted for it with your narrow minded reasoning.

January 22, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. M.Lewis

Well, when Edwards suggested that he could win the south, that was similar to the good ol southern boy system.

January 22, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |