January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Independent

With Hillary Clinto9n in the room , you can bet it was about something dishonest , or underhanded in some way , because thats what she is about.

January 22, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  2. sonal a

If Edwards did not lend credibility and weight to Senator Kerry's presidential nomination in 2004, I don't believe Senator Obama or Clinton should consider him this time around as a potential running mate.....I'd like to see an OBAMA/RICHARDSON ticket.....both high minded individuals that would be able to steer away from the bipartisanship of Washington today. OBAMA 2008!!!!!

January 22, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  3. Jason

perhaps a deal? Edwards agrees to stay in and split the anti-Hillary vote, and then Hillary picks him for VP?

January 22, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  4. anti-socialist

This is obvious collaboration. They both teamed up obama in the debate and now there is evidence of collaboration. Obama is a lone wolf in this game, he threatens their esatblishment.

January 22, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  5. Leah DiMarco, TX

I think Hillary is scared that Edwards will run with Obama and she wanted to talk to him about running with her. But I think Edwards knows that if Clinton gets the nomination that the Republicans will win because the Clintons are too divisive and that is not what America needs! Edwards is too smart to attach himself to the apron strings of Billary!

January 22, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  6. John, IA

Edwards will take away Clinton's votes in SC. But if he drops out, most of the labor votes, white votes will go for Clinton.

Everyone is ticked off by nasty, arrogant, cocky Obama supporters. They are breaking the party with their hatred.

January 22, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  7. YesWeCan

Whatever CNN. You guys are full of it. Quit making stuff up.

January 22, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  8. Rory L. Aronsky

Why, Vice President Edwards of course.

January 22, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  9. aware

I hope they discussed business. Edwards looked good this evening – especially compared to an abysmal performance by Obama. Hillary and John might do well together. 🙂

January 22, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  10. Danielle

I'm liking the sounding of team Hillary-Edwards to be honest. They look like they'd work well with each other. Obama comes across as too immature to work properly with either of them!

January 22, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  11. Arjun

It is good for the two candidates to talk. This is a healthy way of dealing with family matters.

However, I think with Barack Obama being exposed as a hyprocrite whose only motive is to get elected as the first African-American at any cost, it is necessary for both Hillary and John to nail this fake and bluff of a magnitude i have never seen before in the history of american politics.

Hillary will win and she will become the first woman president with a convincing win in November.

Hillar is the only one who seems to be authoritative on all issues affecting the american people. Edwards will make a good VP.

January 22, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  12. ao

ah nothing better than a conspiracy theory at its fullest... give me a break. Hillary/Edwards08

January 22, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  13. Pamela E

I've been looking forward to hearing the debate in SC but turned it off after Clinton repeatedly attacked Obama and tried to get him off message. She is a shrew, in my opinion, and at 60 she represents the old regime. Her HUSBAND was president, and pillow talk or not HE was the one in charge of the country. Please, enough with the Bush Clinton Bush and NO Clinton. If Hillary is on the ticket as the nominee the Democrats will NOT win the election. As a democrat I will not support her and if the DNC backs her we WILL lose the election to whoever the Republicans put up. The FUTURE is with Obama and I think an Obama/Edwards ticket will be unbeatable by the Republicans and will appeal to the base and to Independents.

Obama is realistic on healthcare, the war in Iraq, and most of all, Obama gives us hope that America is finally over the race issue. What renewed standing the US will have if a Black American, who truly represents all that America can be is President! Once he is president perhaps we can put aside the hyphenations used to describe Americans of anything but Anglo descent! We are all just Americans and he will bring that to pass. Truly, the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. will have been realized more fully if this happens.

January 22, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  14. Susan

Please John Edwards..don't lower yourself to Hillary's level...her perfomance in last night's debate showed she lacked basic team building skills. She would be a disaster for our country. We need a team builder..I'm so tired of hearing we have to fight this..fight that..look where all that fighting has gotten us....Whatever deal she is offering you..don't take it. She is a liar and a fraud.

January 22, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  15. Info

hmmm....

January 22, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  16. Betsy

Would be a good move on both parties part to work together now, and then again on super tuesday 😉

January 22, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  17. Melody

Isn't that coincidental? As my husband and I watched the debate we both began to quickly realize John Edwards could barely be heard with his head so far up Clinton's behind.. So he has given up on being president and has decided to cut his losses and try to KISS UP to Mrs. Clinton in hopes of becoming VICE President? Hmmm, and although I'm still on the fence about OBAMA, it was obvious that John Edwards took every opportunity to agree with Mrs. Clinton on every topic.... I guess the good ole boy or I should I say girl network is in full force. And for John and Hllary to insinuate that Obama isn't trully a demoncrat because he isn't in favor of universal health care (which includes illegal aliens) is abysmal.. I know that if Ican't afford health care, I certainly don't want to pay a fine because I can't afford the cost. Isn't that just a new way of saying health care TAX.... ? I'm not sure that Obama will get my vote but I think that John Edwards is definitely not a choice for us. And Hillary what is all this about 35 years of experience? What experience? you have been senator for how many years? Don't you mean BILL's experience? were you there with him for all of those international, foreign affairs meeting and votes and issues. Are you trying to convince the American public that you were really the President all those years? Was Bill just a "beard" for you running office. No wonder you didn't care who he slept with, if you were already running the country. I would have kept quiet too, if I was the most powerful woman in the world and he was just the face and hands that did what I told him to do. Wow, great training on your part. Look out, John Edwards wants to take Bill's place as your boy Friday. NO wonder our country is going to the dogs or should I say illegal aliens!!!

January 22, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  18. Austin

I think it would be more fun to let people use their imaginations than to actually know what they talked about....

So let your *hopefully* outrageous prevarications fly!

January 22, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  19. jane

Hopefully a Clinton-Edwards ticket!

January 22, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  20. Pee

Clinton and Edward should come out clean on whatever they discussed after the debate.

January 22, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  21. Marion

That's what I want to know, too! What was that conversation in the private room about, hmmm? I don't mean anything untoward. I mean CLINTON-EDWARDS 2008. So excellent. And you know, that dog'd hunt.

January 22, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  22. Trey

Clinton: I'm gonna make an offer you can't refuse
    Edwards: Vice?

I think so

January 22, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  23. Gary Ciampi

They were all strong. My prediction: it will be Clinton vs Romney, forcing Blomberg to run as an Independent, which will siphon off Republicans more than Democrats, thereby making Hillary Clinton the first female president of the United States.

January 22, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  24. Tommy

John Edwards endorses Obama and will push him past Clinton

January 22, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  25. Diane S

From what I saw of the debate in South Carolina Monday evening, the candidates were so busy throwing mud at each other it was easy to forget they were there to debate the issues facing voters.

I want to know if I will ever get to see a politcal debate where the participants do not throw mud. It is disgusting and undignifies the political process. Why can't candidates evers just debate what their positions on the issues are? Why do they have to always cheapen the process by accusing each other of doing what they themselves have more than likely been doing?

I would like to hear an honest answer to thse questions from the candidates for both parties. I bet none of them can or will answer them honestly.

It's easy for me to see why there is so much apathy in people. Most of my friends just say "who cares. It doesn't matter any way."

That's sad!