January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Denis, NJ

So what? I don't see how this is newsworthy... This is like a gossip column – there's no substance at all in this article, just pundit speculation...

Maybe they were discussing Bill's favorite color...

January 22, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Uba

John Edwards seems to be dancing to the tune of anyone her perceives will be the DEM Nominee. After Iowa, Obama came out as the front runner and Edwards immediately gravitated to Obama. Hillary afterwards wins New Hampshire and Nevada and it just happens that Edwards decides to be on her side. Funny Huh!!!!

January 22, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Amber

YES! A Clinton/Edwards ticket would be AMAZING for the country. Though I do like the sound of Clinton/Richardson. My dream for a long time was Clinton/Obama but after what we've seen, I doubt that will happen. 😦 Tis a shame because that would have almost guaranteed 16 years of a Democratic White House because after serving 8 years as VP there would be no reason to doubt Obama's experience.

January 22, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Gabriel

"Finally, there's always the prospect that Democrats just might do the energizing for the Republicans. Republican pollster and consultant Neil Newhouse notes that one path toward greater intensity is "running against a Democrat in the general election who generates real negative passion among Republicans." He adds: "Luckily, such a candidate exists: Hillary Clinton." She registers a whopping 87% unfavorable rating among the party faithful, he notes.

At the same time, a drawn-out and divisive primary fight between Sen. Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama still has the potential to disillusion and discourage some Democrats about their ultimate choice. "There's only one direction that Democratic enthusiasm can go, and that's down," Mr. Newhouse says."

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. bren

Obama lost the debate. I thought Hillary did extremely well as usual and I hope she gets the democratic nomination. She will be a fantastic president. I read that mark halperin said obama won the debate....I visited halperin's website and found the picture of his backside appropriate with his comments....

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. Justin

I think the Democrats are ready to enter the 21st Century, Hillary. Go off to West Palm Beach and retire.

January 22, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

How sweet it when the criminals, I mean politicians hold covert meetings. I hope you Hillary supporters get exactly what you want when she's elected......

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Scarlett

My comment is only to say that I believe that this presidential contest should not be about race. I just feel that it is now headed down that path and I feel that Obama put it there when he accused Mrs. Clinton of making a racist remark concerning her statement where she was praising King about his accomplishments on his fight for equality for all people and that the President was then able to put those accomplishments into law. That was fact, not a disparging comment in any way and was certainly not racial. It was at that point that Mrs. Clinton responded to Obamas charge of racism. Why would anyone want to go backwards instead of foreward. I can assure you that the Republicans will make enough statements that are anti-black, anti-woman, and anti-gay to cover those subjects alone without any help from the Democrats. I would like to see just one debate that issues and solutions were the only topics allowed and each canidate was not allowed to even mention the others name or anyone's name from the past. Then we could really see what they really would do in todays real life situations. We already know that they can attack each other. How, about it CNN? Would you be willing to set those ground rules and stick to them for the publics sake? It would be great to have a real debate on real issues and solutions.

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. BILL LEA

I found it quite amazing that nobody picked up on the fact that when Senator Clinton was asked about her husband's part in her campaign she quickly went back to her stock rant about her 35 years of..etc. etc.,and ignored the question.Much of her experience was gained as wife of the Govenor and President.If this is valid experience for the job as President,then I guess Laura Bush will probably turn up as a candidate in 8 years...my God.what a thought.

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. trs

I think Edwards wants to be someone's VP since the chances of his getting the democratic nomination appear slim

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. TheMightyThor1212

it would be a huge missed oppurtunity if the democratic party does not see the value in a Clinton-Obama ticket. these two should make nice, because thats ticket that cant be beat.

January 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. LeftyLadig

The Dream Team would be Edwards/Obama or Obama/Edwards

January 22, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. teddy orlando

edwards sometimes i think you are just as old time as hillary

big mistake buddy big mistake

go obama

go away john

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. j

All 3 candidates were really sharp last night. Yes, I agree with most here that the bickering was a bit much and far reaching at times. The one unfortunate moment was when Clinton brought up the Rezko news as a reach and it looked desperate. Anyone who has read the articles about it (not the blogs) in the Chicago papers (look up articles by John Kaas and Lynn Sweet to start) knows that Obama purchased his home 16 months before Rezko was indicted. While I can understand that perhaps Obama should have had some sort of inside information on this guy prior to getting involved with him, it is abundantly clear that Obama didn't break any law. As for the Watergate scandal, well that's just a start to the multitude of issues in the Clinton closet. (there is plenty of ammo for the Repugs to spew in a general election campaign against Clinton)
    In all, Edwards appeared to be the most poised and articulate throughout the debate. I would say that he has been most impressive overall throughout the debates in general. Realistically, he doesn't have a shot. There is no sign of an implosion by Clinton or Obama. They are the dominant players and will continue to be well after Feb 5th. It is becoming clearer that Hillary will win the nomination. I just pray that those of you that are voting for her will realize that you are not going to get Bill in office again. Plus, please understand that she doesn't have 35 years of experience nor does she have 16 years of experience as she aptly noted last night. She has 7 years of experience in getting things done in the US Senate. (although I would highly recommend looking up what she has in fact, accomplished during her tenure as Senator; not what she proposes but what she get's done)
    Don't get be wrong, there is no doubt in my mind that she is brilliant and certainly able, however you must ask yourselves what is best for our country? Or, who really has the best chance of winning? If it's Clinton vs. McCain or Bloomberg(don't count him out yet) she will lose in the general election. I just hope that you can do as Mrs. Clinton asked last night and that is to "look to the future", and "vote for whom you feel is best suited to lead this country." The general election race is much closer than most people anticipate. It will not be a Dem landslide. Esp. if McCain or Guiliani are the Repub contenders.

January 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. NANCY

How sad it is when grown men can't accept the fact that a woman is smarter and wiser than them....... Go Hillary.... And thank you on behalf of my granddaughters who might have a better chance in the world against these women haters.. sad

January 22, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. Me

Can you say, "I smell Clinton/Edwards Pres/V.P. ticket?
    Edwards is a womanly kind of man anyway, and Clinton is a manly kind of woman anyway…should work out just fine for them…until they are beat by the Republican nominee.

January 22, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Lynne

I did not appreciate the tone of last night's debate. To me, Edwards is one-note Johnny and an egotist. And to you people who are SO in love with Hillary and Edwards, may I ask that you examine both their voting records????? John Edwards is running on everything he voted against in his short and mostly abstent Congressional career. Hillary is a corporatist and not only voted for the Iraq war, but voted not too long ago to give Bush the power to go to war with Iran. Wake up you people!!

Obama is the change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  18. Marie in Arlington Tx

I support Obama and was very proud of his debate last night. He had to stand up to both Hillary and Bill's attacks even if it did get a little uncomfortable with the back and forth. No one likes to see that but she started it and he ahd to answer it. Where is BillBoy when you need him Hillary? Her anger and hatred came out full force and America got to see it.

Debating a woman on national TV is trickey business. Both Obama and Edwards are way more gentlemen than they have to be with Billary. We have two men who were very well taught by their mammas...a very polite black man and a son of the south. Kind of goes against their basic nature to get rough on her and you can tell they don't like it.

Obama and Edwards both have character and I believe are honest. I would hope Edwards will stay the course and not support Hillary regardless of how this turns out. I think he showed he can't/won't do that with his question of having lobbist in her office on day one. Hillary was waiving her hands in the air saying "I don't know...I just don't know". The national debt couldn't compare to what Bill and Hillary owe special interests. A very good moment for Edwards.

January 22, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. Michelle, Marietta, GA

Why would Clinton team up with Edwards for VP when it won't gain her a single southern state? I for one, didn't like the grandstanding on both her and Edwards' part in last night's debate on the issue of the "present" votes by Obama. They already knew what the story was behind it, and it wasn't scandalous or negligent on Obama's part as a legistor. In the face of a Clinton/Edwards ticket–I'd easily vote for McCain. And by the way CNN, I'm a Black female voter.

January 22, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. jenny

I BELEIVE THE CLINTONS ARE PLAYING ANOTHER GAME BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM AT THE EXPENSE OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE,USING YOU THE MEDIA IN THE MIDDLE OF EACH ROUND.IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE CLINTONS

January 22, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. M.Lewis

I wonder if America is truly about diversity for all, it seems like we expolit diversity to serve the interests of the white majority..........and poor Obama has to stay in the middle so he won't be considered to black, this is the hardest thing a politician has ever had to do in our country, hands down....

January 22, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. HELEN

I did not know who I would be voting for, until last nights debate.
    Hilary is showing her true self.........Obama, you have my vote.

January 22, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Phil Memphis, TN

This is a non-story. CNN is backtracking so fast they are falling all over themselves. The first time I saw this headline it said they held a "secret" meeting. Now it is a "private" meeting. then you read the article and basically they ran into each other by chance, said hello and tossed a couple of good-natured barbs at each other.

Note that the picture is of the two of them shaking hands outside of somewhere, but the story is about them meeting in the room outside the debate area. This is just irresponsible reporting, ended with "so what else was said"...

Maybe something is going on, but if so, report it when you know it for a fact. I didn;t think this was the National Enquirer

January 22, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. Jason S., Livonia, MI

I do believe that an Clinton- Edwards ticket would also be great for the country. Obama needs to start acting more like a statesman instead of acting like a community organizer. He is running against Hillary Clinton and not Bill Clinton.
    It seems to me that everytime Obama is attacked he and his supporters always decry that they are being picked on. If Mr. Obama cannot stand the heat he is getting from Hillary , how then can he expect to take on the Republicans. Looks to me like he got away from his "new kind of politics" last night and looked just like every other politician. I am from Michigan and unfortunately when have seen the effects of a poor economy and it is going to take more than "hope" to solve these problems. I hope that we are not heading for another split Democratic Party, but lately it seems like some are trying to split the party. We need a candidate that can bring about change but also one that can provide results. That is why i am supporting Hillary Clinton. Like her or hate her I feel that she has the experience to get things done and knows how to take on the Republicans. I also support Edwards but I feel that his advisors and his decision to take matching funds allowed the Media to kick him aside.

January 22, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  25. BEN IHEME

Hilary better start thinking of HILARY – OBAMA PRESIDENCIAL ticket to stand up to the challenge of Republican Macain – Ronmey ticket campain machine on 'FEAR'. While Obama should be humble enough to consider an opportunity to develope experience and build upon the youthful and black American pride political followership to a historic first African – American Vice president in preparations for a potenciail black American president.

January 22, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |