January 22nd, 2008

Clinton, Edwards hold private post-debate meeting

Clinton and Edwards met for a private meeting after last night's debate. What was discussed?

MYRTLE BEACH, South Carolina (CNN) - What were they talking about?

Hillary Clinton and John Edwards met privately backstage following a very contentious Democratic presidential debate in this coastal city, sources with both campaigns confirm to CNN.

The meeting took place in the Edwards campaign green room.

One of the sources said the meeting happened by chance and the conversation consisted of light chatter. The source added that Clinton did jokingly take a jab at Edwards about his beating up on her during the debate. In fact, the real fireworks were between Clinton and Barack Obama.

An Edwards source noted that it was not surprising the two senators met backstage.

"That happens back there,” said the source, who said it has happened “more often” with Obama. “It’s tight quarters – we’re all on top of each other.”

The question is - with only two weeks before Super Tuesday - what else was discussed?

Related: Clinton, Edwards team up on Obama at debate

- CNN’s Candy Crowley and Mike Roselli

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. Khwaty

Clinton/Edwards ticket is a dream team, their platform has a lot in common.

January 22, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Dee

There will never be a female president within the next 50-60 years. It is turning in to a Circus. The question still remains will there ever be a Black President within the next 50-60 years? If so he will be a Martyr. I always vote for the best canadiate. Unfortunately, Republicans always figure a way to pull things off. Buy way of push, pull or tow, or beg, borrow, steal. Politics is a tough racket. The democrats fight too much on issues that don't matter. It is more of an image than issues. Republicans focus on issues and once in office do nothing about them. I think it is a loose- loose situation all the way around. I will vote. I am Afro-American, and Obama will not get it because he is black, and Hillary will not get it becaue she is a former First lady and a Female. This Country needs a postive change and help. Right now I don't give a hoot of where it will come from.

January 22, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Joe P.

Oh, leave it be! They worked together in the Senate (Edwards was very helpful to the Clintons during the impeachment process) and remain cordial despite currently being political opponents. It's what I would expect of grown ups. Nor do I think Edwards is interested in the No. 2 spot. People are reading too much into this.

January 22, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Tom B

As a retired special education teacher, I am horrified at the lack of literacy displayed by the bloggers on this issue. I have had severe and profoundly challanged students who have better command of the language process.

In regards to the issue at hand, Obama's purpose is to hand the White House to the Republicans. It would not surprise me if most of his fundiong came from Republican sources. Any way to find out?

January 22, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Ron

Wow. That was the first Dem. debate I have seen...Hillary spends ALL of her time distorting the truth. Even today she has come out and distorted Obama's words again. Changed his campaign strategy? Frustrated by the losses? Hillary and Bill are attacking him every day, all day. He's just trying to be honest, and he's getting pounded by the establishment politicians.

I don't know who I'm voting for yet, but I know I'm not voting for Hillary. She is a pure politician. No matter what Obama says, she will spin it into something negative.

Please, please wake-up America...we do not need our last four presidents to look like this: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton. What does that say about our country? It says we are in love with the wealthy establishment, easily fooled, and will continue down the path of divisive politics and get-nothing-done Washington. It is not moving forward.

My prayer for our country is that we vote for someone who is more concerned with hope than with doing whatever it takes to get elected.

January 22, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. PAUL PROVIDENCE RI

Remember when she was saying that mud slinging was bad for the party. Who is doing the slinging now? I do hope she heard the crowd go to a very low boo when she brought up " working for the slum lord." I have a feeling she lost the black vote in his debate. Talking about health care is one thing and getting it passed is another. How many people will fall between the crack, it will happen and small business will not be able to afford this. It is easy to talk about it , doing it is another. Just use your judgement on placing your vote and people are not what they seem or are who they say they are.

January 22, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. Tim Stidham

After watching the debate it showed how green Obama really is .He really needs to get alittle more experience under his belt .I think he's a great guy but it take more than that to run the Oval office .

January 22, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. furion4865

Clinton\Edwards ticket would be a disaster for the democrats, black folks simply won't show up to the polls and the dems can't win it without us. A Clinton\Edwards ticket would look like the white folks ganged up on the black candidate and, as a result, the democrats put forth the status quo, more white folks. Kennedy and Emmanuel both know this and that's why they told Bubba to shut his fat redneck trap.

January 22, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Gracie

The critics has said that If Obama gets the nomination, the republicans are sure to lose because the republican has no good strategies to go against obama. Voting for clintons is a sure lose to the white house to the republicans.

Yes, I rather have a republican in the white house than the Clintons. they are liars.

January 22, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. KingAA

Hillary and John both attended the Bilderberg Conference last year. (For those of you who don't know what it is, look it up.) Once you learn that, consider that three of the four top candidates for the Democratic nomination (Clinton, Edwards, and Richardson) all attended last year's meeting. In addition, note that the pundits were leaning towards Evan Bayh as Hillary's potential running mate – and he went to the meeting as well. Given the nature of the conference, it stands to reason that if she wins the nomination, Edwards WILL be her running mate, and the "plans" will be underway...

January 22, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  11. Rick

lost my vote, a clinton/edwards team will corrupt the system more with status quo

January 22, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. Martha

Woody, here is what he did for the African American community: more African Americans were incarcerated under Bill Clinton; Bill Clinton devised the three strikes out plan; created NAFTA took away jobs for all, but hurt the poor and black communities harder; helped his wife redistrict Harlem to remove more African Americans to put his office.

This man left Arkansas in a drug ruin after his governorship, all the so-called jobs he created were not so because the economy was a rebound after the Bush,Sr era.
    Bill Clinton and wife are very divisive.

Thirdly, the man was impeached and now we have a dishonored official wanting to be an ambassador along with BushSr. Clinton left the Israeli/Palestian debacle in a mess. Bush does not want nor care to fix his mess. We need change in America and there are far more better people than the Clinton/Bush charade we have been having for the last 20 years. Hillary Clinton talks of change, well why doesn't she allow new ideas from different people. First she lied to the American people stating that she had no interest in running for president. I hope the people in New York see right through them, they left Arkansas in a mess, she can't get attention in Chicago. Bill Clinton left his secret library in Arkansas as a thanks to people for helping him get out of the state. Why did he not make his home in Arkansas, guess he couldn't con the people any longer.
    Now

January 22, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. jadanzzy

Obama stutters because he's actually thinking of his answers. Clinton doesn't because her answers are pre-planned and robotic. Clinton will give talking points. Obama will give thoughtful answers. That's why he'd rather give you an explanation rather than driving one liners created by some political team in the back.

For those of you who support Hillary, good for you. She is a great politician. But hate yourselves dearly when she gets squashed by the Republicans and we get a total of 12-16 years of Republican rule.

I don't understand why America doesn't want to restore its standing in the world. The world is in love with Obama. The world thinks that with Obama as president, the world can say, "Wow the Americans are actually a progressive and thoughtful people!"

But we'll be stubborn again and get McCain in office. Good job America.

Obama 08.

January 22, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Carrie

Edwards would be hypocritical teaming up with the "Status Quo."

January 22, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. incunabulum

If Hillary offers the VP slot to Obama, he should take it! The only thing that could prevent him would be his pride and ego. We would have an opportunity to have great, progressive leadership in the White House for up to 16 years. As a VP, Obama would get the one thing he lacks – executive experience.

I still think, however, that Bill Richardson and John Edwards are more likely VP picks for Hillary.

January 22, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  16. Mike, Milwaukee, WI

It would hypocritical for John to team up with Hillary due to the fact that He has been her biggest critic this whole race. He has been more critical of her than Obama has. But Hillary needs to be smart about this, the only way she will keep the Democratic coalition together is to pick Obama as her VP.

IMHO, a Clinton/Obama ticket is unbeatable.......

January 22, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  17. Roger

John Edwards brings nothing to the bottom of the ticket. He did not carry one state for Kerry in 2004. So hopefully Hillary remembers this calculation. However, John Kerry would make an outstanding Attorney General in a Clinton administration. This is a job where he can make a huge difference.

January 22, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. Kevin

Edwards won't be Hillary's VP. Hillary already cut a deal with Richardson to be her VP if she wins the nomination. Do you think it was a coincidence that Richardson dropped out just before the Nevada caucus as to not split the Hispanic vote with Hillary and give Obama a popular vote victory?

January 22, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  19. M. Naughton

Hillary Clinton needs to stop her mudslinging. Her constant attacks on Barack Obama have only served to make her look ridiculous and afraid of her opponent. Bill Clinton's attacks against Obama are also very un-presidential. The Clinton campaign should be afraid-they have certainly lost the vote of at least one highly educated female voter-me.

January 22, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. Carol Pedraza

It's about time that all the news channels give John Edwards some coverage. I am so sick of hearing about Hilary and Barack, like they were the only two running. We have alot of states left to vote, and believe me, after last nights debate, it only confirmed my feelings that John Edwards is the most true and viable candidate. He sticks to his message, he is honest and earnest in his speaking, not to mention passionate in his cause. Lets give him a break, I know he doesn't have the money behind him like Hilary and Barack, but he has a message that holds true to what this country wants in a president. I am ready to turn off the news when I hear the two democratic candidates mentioned all the time, and all of their disagreements magnified and concentrated on, when there is a third candidate there with a message that resonates with all of us in this country. Lets let it be heard, lets give him the time and quit concentrating on the slamming of political candidates, which only goes to show that the fight between them is mostly about themselves, not about what is good for the country. John Edwards has my vote!

January 22, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  21. Suedell Robinson

I've been following this campaign since day "1". I honestly feel through observation that both Hillary , and Former President Clinton, have both chosen to attack Senator Obama by putting every dirty spin in whatever ever Barack has done or said after having won the primary in Iowa. The debate on Monday night may not have been that of the greatest taste, however I feel it was high time that Barack defend himself from Hillary , as well as from president Clinton. I too feel that Senator Obama has been campaigning against two individuals. For many many years, I have had great admiration for both Mr and Mrs Clinton, but having observed the dirty and low down tactics they both have used in attacking Senator Obama put a really bad taste in my mouth about the both of them. President Clinton did do many wonderful things to help African Americans durning his tenture, and I am sure, as well as myself and other African Americans are indeed grateful, but what President Clinton did for African Americans or any other american was exactly what he should have done. It was his job!! I am now being reminded by the media, as well as the Clintons what President Clinton has done for us as a people as though it has now become a quid pro quoe by voting for Senator Clinton. I'm a firm believer in what a person show one as a person, one must believe them, and Senator Clinton has shown me exactly how ugly she truely is. I wish both Hillary and President Clinton much Luck in winning "their" election for the presidency, but "they" will not be getting my vote. I'm not sure what Senator Clinton, and Mr Edwards were dicussing behind closed doors, but having observed the distasteful actions of Senator Clinton against Senator Obama has lead me to believe, what may have been said upon Senator's Clinton's behalf, was not a pretty picture. Thank You

January 22, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Dropmeoff

"So, Senator Edwards, how would you like to be Vice-President of the United States...?"

January 22, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. Jonathan Coolidge

I wish the Clinton vs. Obama business would stop; I'd much rather see the two of them together. Seeing Clinton and Edwards teaming up fudges my loyalties more towards Obama. The last thing I want to see is a trial lawyer given the white house; that'll really screw up health care.

January 22, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. Sandra Main

Why does Obama not just publsh his voting records for all to see if there are no issues. "Seems he doth protest too much." I am an Illinois resident and during his tenure as state senator cannot recall any splendid, original programs or services that he developed or ACTUALIZED. Just as it must be obvious that I am not backing Obama, also I am not a newsperson whose preference ought be a mystery. Through your selection of particular photos, incidents, comments it is very evident who Wolf and other pundits support. Irecall several weeks ago that Michelle Obama commented negatively about Hillary, but guess that just went away due to inappropriate perspectivesI. long for tthe moments with Tom Brokow who still can drive down the middle of the road and report who, what, where, when. You are right, i CAN JUST CHANGE CHANNELS.

January 22, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. Casey

Lighten up folks. Hillary will win, and she'll pick Obama as her running mate. She is far too intelligent not to understand the ramifications of not doing so, and besides, they are ideologically identifical (although they may differ on procedure and specific policy).

Edwards would make a great cabinet member. There is room for all three of them in the new administration.

Si Se Puede, Si Se Puede, Si Se Puede